SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2023 early thoughts

2023 early thoughts

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: Playersoverpayed
Published: Dec. 29, 2022 at 8:43 p.m.
Description
I really like this draft class. It is rich in big forwards which suits my conservative approach. Especially WHL and OHL groups look very good, USHL is better than usually. QMJHL, NTDP and MHL are below their averages, Scandinavian classes are average.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Connor BEDARD
So far,yes.
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
Adam FANTILLI
If he wants to challenge Bedard for no. 1, I'm all for it. This player is a difference-maker.
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Leo CARLSSON
His contract runs through 2024/25. Otherwise, only sky looks like a limit.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Matthew WOOD
He will need to do more, but the potential is there. Man, go out there and do the dirty job, don't just wait for your teammates. It is similar to Shane Wright in 2021/22 and can be overturned.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
Lukas DRAGICEVIC
He is 1st scorer on a team and amongst all D-men in WHL. Backward skating is questionable, but it can be improved (Brandt Clarke). Keep in mind D-men are more important than forwards and GMs prefer to draft them early.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks
David REINBACHER
He is putting up crazy numbers in top Swiss league. He is 0.5 PPG, for comparison Auston Matthews in his draft year had 1.27 PPG. Most recently J.J. Moser as triple-overage D-man had 0.6 PPG. Act surprise if some GM pulls Yzerman's move from Seider's draft.
7Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Matvei MICHKOV
Probably the best hockey-hands I've ever seen, combined with great IQ. But he is not fast, he is small and will need enforcer on his line. It was hard to watch him in 2021/22 MHL playoffs finale against CSKA's youth team, when he took a lot of abuse from big opponents (Averochkin, Dronyk, Dolzhenkov). Somebody might broke his backbone. With all the abuse around he gets frustrated and as consequence takes bad penalties. His contract runs through 2025/26 and combine that with Russian factor... Ultimate bum-or-bust and gambling is not for me. I prefer safer options.
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Zach BENSON
The best player on a loaded team and also good forechecker. I am just afraid he might not improve much more. His Scouting Combine results should be interesting and might push him downwards.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Andrew CRISTALL
He is head and shoulder above his teammates, putting close to 2 PPG. Kelowna might have the best program in WHL, but their approach is suited for bigger players. But top 10 is not out of realm of possibility.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Samuel HONZEK
Vancouver is very good program for training safe, NHL-style (Lucic, E. Kane, Gallagher, Martinook...). Leading scorer on a team with team-best +/-, 6ft3 C. He will attract some attention.
11Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the San Jose Sharks
Quentin MUSTY
There is a lot to like about Musty. He looks like safe pick to me, but as just LW he will probably go lower.
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Dalibor DVORSKY
Safe pick with slower progress as expected. Team player the coaches love, not tremendous skater, on the younger side. Work in progress.
13Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Islanders
Gavin McCARTHY
Young RD with some room to grow. Probably the best player on his USHL team, involved on the both sides of the ice, committed to Boston University. It sounds as at least top-4 D-man on a NHL team to me.
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Hunter BRZUSTEWICZ
1st player from the NTDP selected might be... former NTDP player (as are Stramel and Brindley). Kitchener tends to produce decent NHLers on the back end (Bortuzzo, Xhekaj, Murphy...). Brzustewicz looks like safe pick to me.
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
William SMITH
As of recently NTDP has some issues. Older players prefer to play elsewhere and when Smith is their best player of the draft class... Beside playmaking he is average. I am not impressed when the generation is being overshadowed by the younger players (Hagens, Eiserman).
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Nate DANIELSON
The best player on a average Brandon team. So far he looks suitable as C at the NHL level and that is always attractive. It is worth of note he is one of the oldest 1st time-eligible players, so have realistic expectations about his upside.
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-
Colby BARLOW
He might be the best player on the decent Owen Sound team, but as just another LW he might be available in the last third of the 1st round.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
Charlie STRAMEL
Slow power-forward. His skating is problematic, but some teams can improve even that. His size alone will attract some attention.
19Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
Lenni HAMEENAHO
Liiga is not the best league on the world, but he is putting up decent numbers. He is 4th scorer on a below-average team. It is also worth of note he plays for Finnish U-20 team instead of U-18.
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Mikhail GULYAYEV
I love Omsk's program (Gritsyuk, Miroshnichenko, Trikozov...). Gulyayev is bum-or-bust. Creative offensive D-man with suspicious defense. Combine that with smaller stature and Russian factor...
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Eduard SALE
I am not sold on his performance in top Czechia league. He is very good on the tournaments, but has some struggles against men.
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
Caden PRICE
As august-born I assume he will be 6ft3 at the end of growing process. Kelowna has a boatload of defensively-oriented D-men products of big stature (Weber, Severson, Schenn, Myers, Foote, Korczak, Johansen...). Take him and be patient.
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Ryan LEONARD
Leonard and Moore are close. I prefer Leonard's slightly more aggressive style and he is also committed to Boston College in 2023/24...
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Oliver MOORE
… while Oliver Moore is commited to University of Minnesota in 2024/25. Pick your poison, Minnesota's program maybe be even better as Boston College's one and Cole Eiserman is also commited to Minny in 2024/25. But I would rather have player available sooner and I like leaders, not just supporting parts. That's why at the moment I prefer Leonard ahead.
25Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Axel SANDIN PELIKKA
He came out of nowhere. His offensive output is impressive, but I got some Brannstrom vibes. I am not sure I like that in 1st round, but some GM probably will take him high.
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary Flames
Andrew STRATHMANN
The best D-man on a team. He would like to do too much at one time and can be impatient. Some of his penalties are unnecesserely. He is going to North Dakota, which is on the better side of NCAA defensive programs.
27Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
Calum RITCHIE
I would compare him to Nathan Gaucher from the past Draft. He hasn't improved much from 2021/22. Safe pick with low upside.
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida Panthers
Brayden YAGER
He fits Moose Jaw's current roster (Firkus, Mateychuk). His 165lbs don't impress me and he is not doing enough on the ice. His shot is good, but not enough. He is at least 3 years away from the NHL.
29Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
Danny NELSON
He is on the younger side. Currently at 6ft3, 200+lbs, NTDP player... Wait for the Scouting Combine and act surprise when somebody will pick him in the 1st round.
30Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York Rangers
Etienne MORIN
In general I don't like QMJHL, but over 1 PPG D-man is worth of consideration for late 1st round pick. He is 1st scorer on a team and some D-men already came from the Moncton (Yandle, Savard, Spence...).
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
Koehn ZIMMER
Prince George has one of the worst programs in the WHL. When Connolly and Harkins are your best offensive references... I wouldn't risk with Zimmer or Heidt before late 1st/early 2nd round. Heidt has more attractive style, but so far I prefer Zimmer.
32Logo of the Edmonton OilersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Oliver BONK
London's program for D-men is not as successful as for forwards, but still very good. Assume Bonk will grow to roughly 6ft2, has NHL bloodline and is right-shot. Sounds as low-risk pick.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 12:01 p.m.
Bedard23
Am I the only Brayden Yager fan in existence?
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
If im the oilers im def going to be having my eye on Bonk
Dec. 30, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
Evans truther
Love me some Dragicevic but things are starting to get out of hands, Ty Smith was a top scorer in his draft year as were Valimaki and Jake Bean. Yes Drag can score points but he also gets scored a lot against, feel like top 5 you better be a great all around defender or an elite offensive one to warrant this draft capita.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
Love me some Dragicevic but things are starting to get out of hands, Ty Smith was a top scorer in his draft year as were Valimaki and Jake Bean. Yes Drag can score points but he also gets scored a lot against, feel like top 5 you better be a great all around defender or an elite offensive one to warrant this draft capita.

Neither of these was the best scorer on their respective team, let alone in the WHL. If D-man is leading scorer on a team, he is their best offensive player, there is no way around.
Dragicevic will also be taller than others mentioned, so there is something to work with - remember Korchinski from the past Draft, as 6ft3 he was very interesting to GMs. It all comes to Drag's skating and the opinion if it can be improved. It only takes one GM to pull a trigger.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
Neither of these was the best scorer on their respective team, let alone in the WHL. If D-man is leading scorer on a team, he is their best offensive player, there is no way around.
Dragicevic will also be taller than others mentioned, so there is something to work with - remember Korchinski from the past Draft, as 6ft3 he was very interesting to GMs. It all comes to Drag's skating and the opinion if it can be improved. It only takes one GM to pull a trigger.

As long as Zito, Jarmo and Fletcher are GMs anything is possible in drafts.
Playersoverpayed liked this.
Dec. 31, 2022 at 1:33 a.m.
I'd love if Benson, Dvorsky and Smith would fall enough that MTL could get 2 of them with their two 1st.
Dec. 31, 2022 at 1:41 a.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Am I the only Brayden Yager fan in existence?

I'm a fan too. Love his wrist shot, remind me of Pacioretty. Could be a 30 goals sniper.
Dec. 31, 2022 at 9:50 a.m.
Bedard23
Also I wouldn’t draft Dragecevic in the top 15
Dec. 31, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
Bootheblues
David reinbacher will be super good if he can polish his skating and defence which are still good, but not great
Jan. 3, 2023 at 12:10 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Drag and Reinbacher that high is wild. Another issue with Michkov is that he is under contract for a few more years overseas

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll