Forums/Armchair-GM

What is Lafs cost

Created by: RazWild
Team: 2022-23 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 30, 2022
Published: Dec. 30, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm wondering what Lafreniere's value is right now. I fully understand that he probably isn't available, and/or that I might still be short here.

But I'm curious what people actually think his value is right now and what it might cost to actually acquire him. While I would love to acquire him, I fully think it's unlikely he moves. But, I'm compelled to put this out as a thought experiment and looking for a actual discussion on value.
Trades
MIN
  1. Lafrenière, Alexis
Additional Details:
I'm wondering what his value is. The package I'm sending for him is strictly futures based solely because I'm not sure if or what to send off our roster or minors players that might be closer.
NYR
  1. Khusnutdinov, Marat [Reserve List]
  2. Petrovský, Servác [Reserve List]
  3. 2023 1st round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
Marat is a B-level prospect with top 9 upside, and his having a really good season in the KHL this year. While Servác is making a name for himself in both the OHL and WJC this year, where he is over a PPG in the OHL and is currently centering Slovakia's top line in the WJC.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$78,981,921$0$3,532,500$3,518,079
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$825,000$825,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
LD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 2
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
I don't believe MIN are in a position to be trading center prospects for winger prospects
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:18 p.m.
sensonfire
The benchmark for acquiring Lafreniere is about what Kirby Dach went for last Summer.

1st round pick in the top half of the next draft + 3rd round pick in the next draft.

In terms of overall value, this trade you are proposing for Lafreniere seems to exceed that benchmark.
RazWild liked this.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:18 p.m.
2018 Canucks
His value is tarnished & only his ELC gives him value. He’s more valuable to the Rags given his performance isn’t good.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
Edited Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
Quoting: Analytics_are_good
I don't believe MIN are in a position to be trading center prospects for winger prospects

Believe it or not the Wild currently have like 6+ center prospects in the organization right now. Either down in the AHL/Other Leagues or in the minors.

Those of them with NHL promise are. Rossi, Khusnutdinov, Haight, Bankier, and Petrovský. All taken within the last 3 years. While it's never a guarantee, both Bankier and Petrovský are lighting up their respective CHL Leagues this year and look fantastic. Khusnutdinov is playing a top-six role for SKA St. Petersburg in the KHL and having a really good year as well.

I'm not saying it's what I'd like to send out but it's what I think NY would probably ask for. Yurov is also an option and a need for NY since they need RW'ers. But he's also the only one Minnesota has of note either. But the Rangers also don't need defenseman or LW'ers, so options are limited.

Edit: And for the record, Laf may still be young, but he's not a prospect at this stage.
iAce liked this.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
The benchmark for acquiring Lafreniere is about what Kirby Dach went for last Summer.

1st round pick in the top half of the next draft + 3rd round pick in the next draft.

In terms of overall value, this trade you are proposing for Lafreniere seems to exceed that benchmark.

I agree, the issue I see is that Minnesota's 1st is going to be likely lower than other offers. As it currently stands, the Wild sit 20th in the league via Tankathon.

So I over compensated because of that, and the fact there would be competition if he were available. Although, not many teams can offer a pure futures based trade package right now.
sensonfire liked this.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:49 p.m.
Osiecki death stare
That's a pretty decent overpayment. I don't like the idea of trading Khusnutdinov before he plays in the NHL.

I'd offer something like Greenway+2nd/Peart/other prospect
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:50 p.m.
a 2nd at most, MTL was dumb enough to trade a 1st for Dach other teams should not be that dumb
Dec. 30, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: RazWild
Believe it or not the Wild currently have like 6+ center prospects in the organization right now. Either down in the AHL/Other Leagues or in the minors.

Those of them with NHL promise are. Rossi, Khusnutdinov, Haight, Bankier, and Petrovský. All taken within the last 3 years. While it's never a guarantee, both Bankier and Petrovský are lighting up their respective CHL Leagues this year and look fantastic. Khusnutdinov is playing a top-six role for SKA St. Petersburg in the KHL and having a really good year as well.

I'm not saying it's what I'd like to send out but it's what I think NY would probably ask for. Yurov is also an option and a need for NY since they need RW'ers. But he's also the only one Minnesota has of note either. But the Rangers also don't need defenseman or LW'ers, so options are limited.

Edit: And for the record, Laf may still be young, but he's not a prospect at this stage.

Love the post! I posted my thread 10 seconds after your hit. Good package. I hate losing either center because we don't have a drafted superstar center in franchise history but we have to let go of something in order to get him. I do have a few questions for you as a Wild fan. Lets say the Wild are going to get Laf and we are ironing out the details

1. Does BG trade a first if he can't get another one in this draft? Hypothetical, Dumba and a 3rd for someones 1st. Wild retain on the trade at the deadline. Now we have 2 and could trade one for a guy like Laf. Or does BG go into the draft without a 1st rounder this year?

2. Do the Wild trade anyone off the current roster to make this trade happen? Who can they afford to lose?

I think BG would be open to moving Greenway or Hartman. I think Greenway would be the one to move as Hartman is cheaper, can slot into more spots in the lineup. I do think Greenway would be great on the Rangers squad. So maybe a trade like this, Greenway, 2nd and a prospect. Not sure I would go too much more than this. As you said, he's no longer a prospect. He's played 2 full seasons. Maybe a change of scenery gets him playing better?
Dec. 30, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: Digitalbooya06
That's a pretty decent overpayment. I don't like the idea of trading Khusnutdinov before he plays in the NHL.

I'd offer something like Greenway+2nd/Peart/other prospect

It'll take a decent overpayment for NY to consider moving a 21 year old former 1st overall player who isn't having a bad season, and whose upside is still very much there.

They're going to ask for a good prospect back, minimum. Boldy's an absolute no go, so is Rossi. Which leaves either Khusnutdinov or Yurov. Between those two, I'm keeping the lone RW prospect with top-six potential that we have in our system. Especially over our #2 center prospect. You can flip a coin for Bankier and Petrovský, however.

Furthermore, I know Greenway can play both sides, but the Rags don't need any more LW'ers. Or defenseman for that matter. There's nothing there that'll interest NY into moving Laf.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 2:52 p.m.
Osiecki death stare
It'll take a decent overpayment for NY to consider moving a 21 year old former 1st overall player who isn't having a bad season, and whose upside is still very much there.

They're going to ask for a good prospect back, minimum. Boldy's an absolute no go, so is Rossi. Which leaves either Khusnutdinov or Yurov. Between those two, I'm keeping the lone RW prospect with top-six potential that we have in our system. Especially over our #2 center prospect. You can flip a coin for Bankier and Petrovský, however.

Furthermore, I know Greenway can play both sides, but the Rags don't need any more LW'ers. Or defenseman for that matter. There's nothing there that'll interest NY into moving Laf.

I would assume NYR would want at least some sort of player back to help them this year. Otherwise, what’s the point in moving Laf at all? To spin the magic box one more time? I think they would for sure consider Greenway+1st.

It would be a mistake to trade Khusnutdinov. He’s done extremely well ever since he’s got top of the lineup minutes.

Yurov should be brought to the AHL ASAP. He’s playing less than 2 minutes a night in the KHL.
Apr. 20, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.

Rumor is, they are looking to get Kuzy too. So add another center!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll