SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #8: Vote for Jesper Bratt

Jan. 13, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: GarthBrooks
5x9.5mil isn't horrible. I'd maybe consider that over the seth jones contract

Three 1st Rounders? That's not an opening offer, that's insanity. 3 months ago, SJS would've had to pay someone three 1st rounders and retain salary to take him. I don't think he gets moved during the season.
A_Habs_fan, aadoyle and Tintin liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: MatthewsFan

I know things are bad in PHI, but is there more of a dysfunctional franchise in the NHL right now other than VAN. Every story coming out now just sounds bad

It’s like the Jets drafting an endless supply of centers. Only difference: they’re prospects actually develop
Jan. 13, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: GarthBrooks
5x9.5mil isn't horrible. I'd maybe consider that over the seth jones contract

Considering Karlsson's injury history and age even 9.5mill x 5 years is bad lul

And for the asking price u would have to be Jim Benning levels of stupid to do it
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

I know things are bad in PHI, but is there more of a dysfunctional franchise in the NHL right now other than VAN. Every story coming out now just sounds bad

This story is hardly anything. Can't blame Vancouver for drafting Lekkerimakki. Everybody thought him and Kemell were going to be drafted top 10. Getting him at 15 was a no brainer at the time
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 6:48 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Juiceman
This story is hardly anything. Can't blame Vancouver for drafting Lekkerimakki. Everybody thought him and Kemell were going to be drafted top 10. Getting him at 15 was a no brainer at the time

Oh, totally, I was prefacing everything coming out of VAN is just 🗑️

- Rachel Doerrie situation
- Lame duck coach
- Scratching OEL and Garland
- The handling of Rathbone and Hoglander
- JT Miller and his antics
- Pearson and his injury
- Lekkerimaki can’t make a Swedish division 2 team
- “The #Canucks  have one of the shallowest prospect pools in the NHL for a second straight year,” writes @scottcwheeler
- and now today Pettersson might not stay

I was just getting at every VAN story I see, is just bad news 🤷‍♂️
capsfan2121, Saskleaf, pinslack and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 7:44 p.m.
WentWughes
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-begin-internal-investigation-around-handling-of-pearsons-hand-injury/

Vancouver might've literally ended Tanner Pearson's career
pinslack liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 8:01 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Oh, totally, I was prefacing everything coming out of VAN is just 🗑️

- Rachel Doerrie situation
- Lame duck coach
- Scratching OEL and Garland
- The handling of Rathbone and Hoglander
- JT Miller and his antics
- Pearson and his injury
- Lekkerimaki can’t make a Swedish division 2 team
- “The #Canucks  have one of the shallowest prospect pools in the NHL for a second straight year,” writes scottcwheeler
- and now today Pettersson might not stay

I was just getting at every VAN story I see, is just bad news 🤷‍♂️

The Pettersson might not stay shouldn’t be a story. It is a Minnesota Wild beat writer going off his “gut feeling”. His opinion means no more than my opinion. I could go out and say that McDavid is going to demand a trade tomorrow based on my “gut feeling”. The base to this argument is that Pettersson’a agent said “Pettersson loves Vancouver, he hates losing”. It’s like what was going on a year ago during contract negotiations. Everybody saying how Pettersson wants out because he said he wants to win. Last time I checked, Pettersson has never said anything about wanting out. Ask any player in the league and they will all say that they also hate losing. His job is to win.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-begin-internal-investigation-around-handling-of-pearsons-hand-injury/

Vancouver might've literally ended Tanner Pearson's career

If this is true every single member of the Canucks med staff should be fired
Jan. 13, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: aadoyle
If this is true every single member of the Canucks med staff should be fired

The hysterical part is that the old medical staff was all fired this offseason im pretty sure
Jan. 13, 2023 at 8:08 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Elias Pettersson should be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks. Looks like one of the few guys playing his hardest
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 8:57 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Juice:
"Elias Pettersson should be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks. Looks like one of the few guys playing his hardest"

He should run away as if his hair was on fire...
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:36 p.m.
What in tarnation
Petition for Pettersson to pull a Tkachuk just to make the Nucks fans go absolutely batsh*t crazy
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:40 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: justaBoss
Petition for Pettersson to pull a Tkachuk just to make the Nucks fans go absolutely batsh*t crazy

I mean the return for Tkachuk was pretty batsh*t crazy. I am a Pettersson fan. If he gets traded, my allegiance goes to that new team. No reason for me to remain a Canucks fan if Pettersson is gone
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
What in tarnation
I mean the return for Tkachuk was pretty batsh*t crazy. I am a Pettersson fan. If he gets traded, my allegiance goes to that new team. No reason for me to remain a Canucks fan if Pettersson is gone

Do you really want them to trade Pettersson for potentially two new J.T. Millers contract wise? Cuz that's basically what CGY did with Tkachuk.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Do you really want them to trade Pettersson for potentially two new J.T. Millers contract wise? Cuz that's basically what CGY did with Tkachuk.

There is a difference between Elias Pettersson and JT Miller. One is a 24 year old franchise talent who is always giving it his all. Another is 29 year old lazy loser who is on the back end of his prime. If the Canucks were contenders, guys like Huberdeau and Weegar would be super helpful. ICalgary got a haul. If the Canucks trade Pettersson, it better be for someone young and similar talent. Unless Pettersson demands a trade like Tkachuk, the Canucks won't even consider moving him
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
What in tarnation
There is a difference between Elias Pettersson and JT Miller. One is a 24 year old franchise talent who is always giving it his all. Another is 29 year old lazy loser who is on the back end of his prime. If the Canucks were contenders, guys like Huberdeau and Weegar would be super helpful. ICalgary got a haul. If the Canucks trade Pettersson, it better be for someone young and similar talent. Unless Pettersson demands a trade like Tkachuk, the Canucks won't even consider moving him

Indeed. Tkachuk scenario means trading Pettersson for two 28-30 year old pending UFAs and a first round pick in 2025 offseason, but to be fair just checking out the options there, it's not gonna happen. And yes, Nucks would be pretty dumb to move Pettersson unless he specifically requests that.
Juiceman liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Indeed. Tkachuk scenario means trading Pettersson for two 28-30 year old pending UFAs and a first round pick in 2025 offseason, but to be fair just checking out the options there, it's not gonna happen. And yes, Nucks would be pretty dumb to move Pettersson unless he specifically requests that.

I find it amusing how many people on Capfriendly saw a Minnesota Wild beat writer say his gut says Pettersson might move on, and took the idea and ran with it. Pettersson's ageny says Elias loves Vancouver and want to start contract extension talks ASAP in July. If he really wanted out, I don't see why he would bother discussing a new contract a year before his current one even expires
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
What in tarnation
I find it amusing how many people on Capfriendly saw a Minnesota Wild beat writer say his gut says Pettersson might move on, and took the idea and ran with it. Pettersson's ageny says Elias loves Vancouver and want to start contract extension talks ASAP in July. If he really wanted out, I don't see why he would bother discussing a new contract a year before his current one even expires

Tbh Russo has relatively good track record in such reporting, he's far from the worst source for his kind of info. But I kinda get that Nucks fans would be in denial about the whole issue.

After all, Pettersson effectively is the Vancouver Canucks.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Tbh Russo has relatively good track record in such reporting, he's far from the worst source for his kind of info. But I kinda get that Nucks fans would be in denial about the whole issue.

After all, Pettersson effectively is the Vancouver Canucks.

I'm not sure Russo can really say anything about the Vancouver Canucks because he doesn't cover them. Russo's "gut feeling" contradicts what Pettersson's agent said
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
What in tarnation
I'm not sure Russo can really say anything about the Vancouver Canucks because he doesn't cover them. Russo's "gut feeling" contradicts what Pettersson's agent said

And by the same token if Pettersson's agent said anything but what you're claiming here, it would cause an absolute explosion in the Canadian media.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:59 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
And by the same token if Pettersson's agent said anything but what you're claiming here, it would cause an absolute explosion in the Canadian media.

Canadian media likes to make a story out of anything. Even a Minnesota Wild reporter's "gut feeling". Everybody can have an opinion on something. I could say that I have a gut feeling that Jack and Luke Hughes will be traded to the Canucks. I remember people making a big deal about this when Pettersson was in need of a new contract. Pettersson sais that he wants to be on a winning team and apparently that meant he wanted out. Crazy to think how he is still on the roster after I was promised that he would be gone by other fans
Jan. 13, 2023 at 10:10 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier

Bros pulling a "I'm a Lebron fan"
Jan. 13, 2023 at 10:16 p.m.
What in tarnation
Canadian media likes to make a story out of anything. Even a Minnesota Wild reporter's "gut feeling". Everybody can have an opinion on something. I could say that I have a gut feeling that Jack and Luke Hughes will be traded to the Canucks. I remember people making a big deal about this when Pettersson was in need of a new contract. Pettersson sais that he wants to be on a winning team and apparently that meant he wanted out. Crazy to think how he is still on the roster after I was promised that he would be gone by other fans

Everyone can have an opinion of something, but I'd argue that Russo's opinion as an insider of sorts does have some merit...at least compared to average fans.

Having a star player potentially unhappy or anything like that being traded around the site is a common trend. If there is a perceived contractual, performance or a behind the scenes issue, people love to grab into that and just go for the most amazing type of scenarios. This has happened with the likes of McDavid, Eichel, Laine, Dubois, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Tavares etc. on this site, just to name a few. And btw, only one of these guys are yet to be traded after the start of the rumors, that being McDavid, but he's the best player this sport currently has. He simply will not be traded.

When there's smoke, there's usually fire. It takes a bit of time to grow into something, but I don't see it impossible that Petey gets moved in a not-so-distant future.

Or then he stays and is a Canuck for life. Who knows. This site is just basically created for the speculation.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Everyone can have an opinion of something, but I'd argue that Russo's opinion as an insider of sorts does have some merit...at least compared to average fans.

Having a star player potentially unhappy or anything like that being traded around the site is a common trend. If there is a perceived contractual, performance or a behind the scenes issue, people love to grab into that and just go for the most amazing type of scenarios. This has happened with the likes of McDavid, Eichel, Laine, Dubois, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Tavares etc. on this site, just to name a few. And btw, only one of these guys are yet to be traded after the start of the rumors, that being McDavid, but he's the best player this sport currently has. He simply will not be traded.

When there's smoke, there's usually fire. It takes a bit of time to grow into something, but I don't see it impossible that Petey gets moved in a not-so-distant future.

Or then he stays and is a Canuck for life. Who knows. This site is just basically created for the speculation.

This is the exact same thing that happened over a year ago when Pettersson was in need of a new contract. He made comments that he wants to be on a winning team and everybody just assumed that he was going to demand a trade. Guess what? He has done nothing close to that. If I was unhappy with the direction of my organization, I sure as hell wouldn't discuss contract extension negotiations, especially a year before it is needed anyway. Petey's agent says they will begin contract talks on July 1st which is the earliest they are possible allowed to discuess an extension. This doesn't really scream "I want out". If he wanted out like Tkachuk, he will say that he doesn't want to sign
Jan. 13, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.
What in tarnation
This is the exact same thing that happened over a year ago when Pettersson was in need of a new contract. He made comments that he wants to be on a winning team and everybody just assumed that he was going to demand a trade. Guess what? He has done nothing close to that. If I was unhappy with the direction of my organization, I sure as hell wouldn't discuss contract extension negotiations, especially a year before it is needed anyway. Petey's agent says they will begin contract talks on July 1st which is the earliest they are possible allowed to discuess an extension. This doesn't really scream "I want out". If he wanted out like Tkachuk, he will say that he doesn't want to sign

I think Petey saying that he wants to play in a winning team is not a statement that he wants out per se, but rather message for the Nucks front office that he wants them to build a team capable of winning games and challenge for something meaningful. If they are unable to provide him that, then he might need to resort to other options.

This 3-year bridge deal can be considered as a trial period of sorts for this process.

Thus far, the results are rather disappointing. Enter Russo's most recent comments. And we're back to step one.

I don't doubt for a second that Pettersson wants to deal this professionally. Going or having his agent going to the public with clear dissatisfaction of things will start such a rumor mill without end, very likely to cause problems for himself as well. That is not what he wants, especially now that his team is seriously struggling against all expectations.

There's much more nuance to things that can't be seen with the naked eye.
capsfan2121 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll