Forums/Armchair-GM

Mediocrity

Created by: Flamesfan60
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 9, 2023
Published: Jan. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Total mix of lines. Hopefully gets Mang going.scratch ruzicka to give him some life. Could be some chemistry between pelts and Lindy.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$73,228,333$0$200,000$9,271,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 2
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 9, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Can't really split up Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman, they have been nearly perfect since being back together, pucks just need to start going in for them. The Michael Stone experiment needs to come to an end at some point here but there isn't a better option waiting in the wings. Dube and Kadri were good to start the year, I wouldn't mind seeing Huberdeau - Kadri - Dube but if Pelletier plays I think I would love to get him on Huberdeau's line.
Dr_Invictus liked this.
Jan. 9, 2023 at 5:07 p.m.
Dr_Invictus
Quoting: WranglerWranglin
Can't really split up Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman, they have been nearly perfect since being back together, pucks just need to start going in for them. The Michael Stone experiment needs to come to an end at some point here but there isn't a better option waiting in the wings. Dube and Kadri were good to start the year, I wouldn't mind seeing Huberdeau - Kadri - Dube but if Pelletier plays I think I would love to get him on Huberdeau's line.

You just know Sutter will put Pelletier on the 4th line. If any experiment needs to end, it is Lucic on the 2nd and PP units.
Jan. 9, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.
Quoting: Dr_Invictus
You just know Sutter will put Pelletier on the 4th line. If any experiment needs to end, it is Lucic on the 2nd and PP units.

He took rushes on the 1st line today with Lindholm and Toffoli. I doubt he slots in there right away but we are already leaps ahead of the Phillips scenario, Pelletier can play a full 200 foot game rather well, he displayed that fully at the World Juniors, he's a great fit on either line 1, 2 or 3, just can't split up that third line right now.

Lucic hasn't played his way off the second line yet, unfortunately, he and Kadri were good last night and I think that it will have to sour before it's changed, which at that point it will be one or two games past due. He hasn't played more than 30 seconds on the powerplay since November 17 where he played 42 seconds. Ruzicka has been where the puck goes to die on PP2 recently.
Jan. 10, 2023 at 9:14 p.m.
Dr_Invictus
He took rushes on the 1st line today with Lindholm and Toffoli. I doubt he slots in there right away but we are already leaps ahead of the Phillips scenario, Pelletier can play a full 200 foot game rather well, he displayed that fully at the World Juniors, he's a great fit on either line 1, 2 or 3, just can't split up that third line right now.

Lucic hasn't played his way off the second line yet, unfortunately, he and Kadri were good last night and I think that it will have to sour before it's changed, which at that point it will be one or two games past due. He hasn't played more than 30 seconds on the powerplay since November 17 where he played 42 seconds. Ruzicka has been where the puck goes to die on PP2 recently.

Yep...not even in the line up. And started markstrom again who put up a goal on the second shot. Fsakes
Jan. 11, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.
Yep...not even in the line up. And started markstrom again who put up a goal on the second shot. Fsakes

Again.. Lucic hasn't played his way off that line, Markstrom should have started last night as you give your number 1 a chance to bounce back after getting pulled, Pelletier will play on this road trip..
Jan. 11, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
Dr_Invictus
Again.. Lucic hasn't played his way off that line, Markstrom should have started last night as you give your number 1 a chance to bounce back after getting pulled, Pelletier will play on this road trip..

Markstrom consistently gives up a goal on the first 5 shots in the game. The team no longer plays with confidence in front of him. Vladar is posting better numbers this year: he should be starting every game until Markstrom can sort out the yips. Also, Lucic has 12pts this year (great for him) but not deserving of 2nd line status. This team finds ways to lose games. Sutter's defensive approach is great when you have the best line in hockey to win games for you. It's not great when you don't have elite scoring. Throwing tons of shots on net also turns over the puck. His system will only generate mediocre results unless the roster changes
Jan. 11, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
Markstrom consistently gives up a goal on the first 5 shots in the game. The team no longer plays with confidence in front of him. Vladar is posting better numbers this year: he should be starting every game until Markstrom can sort out the yips. Also, Lucic has 12pts this year (great for him) but not deserving of 2nd line status. This team finds ways to lose games. Sutter's defensive approach is great when you have the best line in hockey to win games for you. It's not great when you don't have elite scoring. Throwing tons of shots on net also turns over the puck. His system will only generate mediocre results unless the roster changes

Markstrom's numbers in December were better, with significantly less help from goals for.

Lucic has 7 in his last 11, no one genuinely believes he is a long term solution, he just hasn't played his way off that line yet.
Jan. 12, 2023 at 8:26 p.m.
Dr_Invictus
Markstrom's numbers in December were better, with significantly less help from goals for.

Lucic has 7 in his last 11, no one genuinely believes he is a long term solution, he just hasn't played his way off that line yet.

While he is being a "short term solution" our leading AHL scorers are sitting in the stands. What's the point in having a draft and farm team if you never let them play? Very few players will be amazing their first NHl game. At some point, we are just developing players to sign as free agents elsewhere.

Vladar has played better than markstrom. His numbers show it. Similarly, Pelletier and Philips have played better than Lucic, yet have not been given any chance. Guaranteed nobody on the wranglers wants to sign as a UFA in Calgary.
WranglerWranglin liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.
While he is being a "short term solution" our leading AHL scorers are sitting in the stands. What's the point in having a draft and farm team if you never let them play? Very few players will be amazing their first NHl game. At some point, we are just developing players to sign as free agents elsewhere.

Vladar has played better than markstrom. His numbers show it. Similarly, Pelletier and Philips have played better than Lucic, yet have not been given any chance. Guaranteed nobody on the wranglers wants to sign as a UFA in Calgary.

Of the 16 players the Flames drafted with over 50 NHL games since 2010 5 are mainstays in the line up now, the other 11 were all either moved for parts to help the team, left because of contract disputes or claimed on waivers because they couldn't crack the roster in Calgary. Not one player in the Flames system since 2010 that went on to have a reputable NHL career left because they weren't getting elevated in a time frame the fans saw as applicable. Fans wanted Parsons rushed up, they wanted Gilles in, Jankowski, Emile Poirier, Klimchuk, etc. etc. etc. I get that Pelletier is a higher calibre prospect that those guys and he will be a piece in the Flames line up for years to come but there is so much more going on internally than any of us imagine.

That would be a silly guarantee to make.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Dr_Invictus
Of the 16 players the Flames drafted with over 50 NHL games since 2010 5 are mainstays in the line up now, the other 11 were all either moved for parts to help the team, left because of contract disputes or claimed on waivers because they couldn't crack the roster in Calgary. Not one player in the Flames system since 2010 that went on to have a reputable NHL career left because they weren't getting elevated in a time frame the fans saw as applicable. Fans wanted Parsons rushed up, they wanted Gilles in, Jankowski, Emile Poirier, Klimchuk, etc. etc. etc. I get that Pelletier is a higher calibre prospect that those guys and he will be a piece in the Flames line up for years to come but there is so much more going on internally than any of us imagine.

That would be a silly guarantee to make.

I think we have different concepts of "rushing". Mackey is 25 and has just played in the NHL. Philips will walk as a UFA and get playing time elsewhere. Valimaki was lost on waivers but is doing well in Arizona, considering the team quality. call ups should be dependent upon their play in the AHL or farm system. This sends a message to other kids we draft that they won't get their shot in Calgary. That's especially worriesome for NCAA picks. We also had very poor drafting until BT came to Calgary (except Feaster getting Gudreau). I would say that Goalies are different: they take longer to develop. I wouldn't want Wolf called up. Pelletier has had 5 years to develop, but is still eating snacks I the stands. What's the point? He will take a QO and walk as well.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.
I think we have different concepts of "rushing". Mackey is 25 and has just played in the NHL. Philips will walk as a UFA and get playing time elsewhere. Valimaki was lost on waivers but is doing well in Arizona, considering the team quality. call ups should be dependent upon their play in the AHL or farm system. This sends a message to other kids we draft that they won't get their shot in Calgary. That's especially worriesome for NCAA picks. We also had very poor drafting until BT came to Calgary (except Feaster getting Gudreau). I would say that Goalies are different: they take longer to develop. I wouldn't want Wolf called up. Pelletier has had 5 years to develop, but is still eating snacks I the stands. What's the point? He will take a QO and walk as well.

He's 26, played in the NCAA until he was 23, was passed on by multiple NHL teams multiple times and has 18 games under his belt because the Flames have had to, not because he has earned the spot. He's been fine but if there were no injuries there would be no Mackey. Valimaki is having his best season as a pro, healthy, great, could not be happier for him but in reality after a really bad training camp, who are you replacing on the Flames top 6 for him at the start of the season? It was the right move at the time.

Phillips will walk and likely never hit 50 NHL games, look at the undersized AHL scorers that are well over a point per game in the past handful of years that never make that jump and never stick with an organization, why would Phillips be any different? Poturalski, Tynan, Carcone, Phillips, O'Regan, Anas, etc. etc. etc. All those guys also have relatively middling or poor +/- while putting up over a ppg, some over a hundred points, it's not a perfect stat but when the discrepancy is that big, they clearly have 1 dimensional tendencies and can't keep the puck out of their net while on the ice at the AHL level let alone the NHL.

Pelletier isn't even half way through a second pro season? Flames were fortunate enough that he got two more years in the Q before they had to start his pro clock. He hasn't played pro hockey for more than 100 games yet, he will get his shot and become a mainstay.

Which prospects have taken their QO and walked?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll