SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion (Part 3)

Feb. 4, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Edited Feb. 4, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.

Stick this into my veins.

I had soooooooooooo much optimism after this series

Edit:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Boyle Kapanen
🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤
Feb. 4, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 4, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
dont underestimate the loss of kerfoot in this, say what you will but he's well trusted and the next man up for top 6 injury to any position

Kerfoot at this point is just an anchor. A guy whose purpose can be replaced at a lower price

Like if we compare his Center stats to guys like Acciari and Bjugstand both those guys beat him out (and yes they PK to)

Bjugstand (900k)

50 gp 11 goals 10 assists 21 points

FOW% 47.1 % on 355 attempts

22 blocked shots
104 hits

Total Ice Time: 16.45mins

Acciari (1.25mill)

51 gp 10 goals 8 assists 18 points

FOW% 54.4% on 221 attempts

52 blocked shots
158 hits

Total Ice Time: 14:30mins

Kerfoot (3.5mill)

52 gp 7 goals 16 assists 23 points

FOW% 43% on 61 attempts

28 blocked shots
30 hits

Total Ice Time: 14:40mins

Like from this when I compare Acciari to Kerfoot its pretty evident who I would want more. And the 2.25mill in savings would be useful elsewhere
Feb. 4, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 4, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I'm gonna be pedantic for a second lol: It's Bjugstad, not Bjugstand.

Just been seeing it so much

If Dubas does it but Bjugstand extends and helps make an impact im fine with it

But if he leaves in the summer thats bad

Still when looking at my above post Acciari seems the better choice
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
Amirov Forever
may be an unpopular opinion but mccabe isnt enough of a upgrade to warrant spending significant assets

I 100% agree. McCabe is a great defenseman, but the injuries and his cost make me turn my head. I wouldnt take on his full 4 mil and definitely wouldn't spend a 2023 1st for him
Feb. 4, 2023 at 4:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Larkin's comment on Marner got the hmm gears initiated lul
Feb. 4, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: aadoyle
Larkin's comment on Marner got the hmm gears initiated lul

U know u dont got to extend in Det and come over at the TDL wink

All the Marner play time u can ask for lul
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Honestly all signs to me are pointing to it

Arizona has some interesting forwards (One from Soo lul) and a Dman who would make an immediate impact
Feb. 4, 2023 at 9:26 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Honestly all signs to me are pointing to it

Arizona has some interesting forwards (One from Soo lul) and a Dman who would make an immediate impact

There's a lot of "smoke" surrounding Chychrun to the Leafs. I personally don't see it although if it does go down, I'd be stoked. A return for Arizona starts with Knies and a surplus of other picks and prospects, and to be honest, I would move Knies for Chychrun. While I'm not getting my hopes up on Chychrun considering how much it will cost, if we can get him without moving Sandin and then flip Sandin for a forward add, I'd be thrilled with that. This could be a super deep team.

Also, I've seen a lot of those Instagram rumors floating around. I don't think they necessarily amount to much, as there are countless players who follow Matthews and Marner, and Chychrun knows Bunting from his days in Arizona. Him removing "Coyotes" from his bio could certainly point to a trade nearing, but using that as the end-all-be-all for confirmation is insane. It means very little in a vacuum. It's fairly common knowledge that the rebuilding Coyotes would like to sell high on their best player. If Chychrun hadn't done any of this, there would still be a lot of noise surrounding a trade. Way too much stock gets put into social media stuff.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 9:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 4, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
There's a lot of "smoke" surrounding Chychrun to the Leafs. I personally don't see it although if it does go down, I'd be stoked. A return for Arizona starts with Knies and a surplus of other picks and prospects, and to be honest, I would move Knies for Chychrun. While I'm not getting my hopes up on Chychrun considering how much it will cost, if we can get him without moving Sandin and then flip Sandin for a forward add, I'd be thrilled with that. This could be a super deep team.

Also, I've seen a lot of those Instagram rumors floating around. I don't think they necessarily amount to much, as there are countless players who follow Matthews and Marner, and Chychrun knows Bunting from his days in Arizona. Him removing "Coyotes" from his bio could certainly point to a trade nearing, but using that as the end-all-be-all for confirmation is insane. It means very little in a vacuum. It's fairly common knowledge that the rebuilding Coyotes would like to sell high on their best player. If Chychrun hadn't done any of this, there would still be a lot of noise surrounding a trade. Way too much stock gets put into social media stuff.

In general kind of funny how it sprung up right after he stopped following the Coyotes and apparently just recently started following Bunting

And honestly adding him wouldnt be a bad thing as he would increase the offensive upside of our Dcore. And if u add a guy like Hayton or Bjugstand to the Bottom 6 bonus. That said knowing Arizona Sandin got to go back in said deal

Still I believe hes 24 years old and has another 2 years at a very reasonable cap hit (4.6mill). Would explore.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1622278885256691715

Im not opposed to Barbashev but man from comparing him last year to this year it just feels like were getting another Engvall which is fine but when I look at Barbashev in the playoffs he hasnt done much since 2019. And knowing Blues management they gonna use last season to increase the price so probs gonna cost a 2nd and 3rd.

Like I feel we could do better if thats the price.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

If there was any chance of buying low on him I’d be so all over that. Vrana now with 6 goals and 8 points in his last 7 games
Feb. 5, 2023 at 10:51 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Shocking
not.gif
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 11:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 5, 2023 at 11:46 p.m.

I can also see why they be looking for a Dman

But then again when u look at the Dcores most these guys got its like alright just add one more and is should balance out a bit

As its hard to compete with Slavin, McAvoy, Hedman, and Marino
Feb. 6, 2023 at 12:41 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Shocking
not.gif

I can also see why they be looking for a Dman

But then again when u look at the Dcores most these guys got its like alright just add one more and is should balance out a bit

As its hard to compete with Slavin, McAvoy, Hedman, and Marino

This years deadline is going to be so exciting. There are genuinely massive names available on the market to fill evident gaps in the roster and there are very few concrete rumors from insiders floating about. To think we are less than a month away is exciting. Plus, this is genuinely make or break for Kyle. Should be fun
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 1:03 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Nathaniel
This years deadline is going to be so exciting. There are genuinely massive names available on the market to fill evident gaps in the roster and there are very few concrete rumors from insiders floating about. To think we are less than a month away is exciting. Plus, this is genuinely make or break for Kyle. Should be fun

I wish I shared your enthusiasm lol. I’ve never been more nervous about a deadline. Like, we are facing a potential re-tool with some massive changes in management and team if things go south in the playoffs again. We’ve been so fortunate to have 7 awesome regular seasons with franchise and players setting achievements. Yet, with another playoff failure, change is absolutely going to happen and whose to say that even works. There is soooooooooo much riding on these playoffs.
Does Dubas get fired/ resigned?
Does Shanahan get fired?
Will Auston resign after another playoff failure?

And I’m worried despite a team being 3rd overall in the NHL, we are still 5 players away from a contending team (top 6 LW, bottom 6 LW, 3C, 4RW, top 4 defensive D) Maybe we address 2, possible 3, who knows.

And I realize even if we could get the most ideal playoff lineup it’s still a coin flip going up against TBL and then BOS. Special teams and goaltending could be **** again and we’re fukced.

Can you tell I’m stressed lol
stressed-stressed-out.gif
Feb. 6, 2023 at 1:05 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I want Leafs to acquire Ruzicka to be on 3rd line
Cost is likely low.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Probably not realistic but my I wish list as of right now

In =

Henrique
Ruzicka
One of Garland or another RW I have not thought of yet
Chychrun

Out =

Rielly
Kerfoot
ZAR
Assets

I still say hold on to Knies and Niemela for our prospects.
I have come around that Hirvonen might have to go if we get term player back at least.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Trickster
Probably not realistic but my I wish list as of right now

In =

Henrique
Ruzicka
One of Garland or another RW I have not thought of yet
Chychrun

Out =

Rielly
Kerfoot
ZAR
Assets

I still say hold on to Knies and Niemela for our prospects.
I have come around that Hirvonen might have to go if we get term player back at least.

Calgary is in a playoff spot so I doubt they move Ruzicka
I prompted Henrique but I just dont see ANA retaining 50%
Garland's on buyout watch so lets wait
Chycrun I mean sure but going for a true RD is smarter

And moving on from Rielly would be a massive embarrassing move for Dubas to move on from Rielly after 1 year of signing his extension. Let the guy get healthy and get back to his old good ways as if he can get back to last years form were good. Cant be giving up on a player after 1 injury riddled season especially when that guy has been here the longest and is arguably the true C of the team
Feb. 6, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 6, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I want Leafs to acquire Ruzicka to be on 3rd line
Cost is likely low.

Doubt CGY moves him

23 years old and has 20 points in 37 games playing on their 4th line. Why would CGY who is in a playoff hunt move a guy like that especially on the contract he has.

Makes 0 sense as it would be like the Leafs trading Holmberg
Feb. 6, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I wish I shared your enthusiasm lol. I’ve never been more nervous about a deadline. Like, we are facing a potential re-tool with some massive changes in management and team if things go south in the playoffs again. We’ve been so fortunate to have 7 awesome regular seasons with franchise and players setting achievements. Yet, with another playoff failure, change is absolutely going to happen and whose to say that even works. There is soooooooooo much riding on these playoffs.
Does Dubas get fired/ resigned?
Does Shanahan get fired?
Will Auston resign after another playoff failure?

And I’m worried despite a team being 3rd overall in the NHL, we are still 5 players away from a contending team (top 6 LW, bottom 6 LW, 3C, 4RW, top 4 defensive D) Maybe we address 2, possible 3, who knows.

And I realize even if we could get the most ideal playoff lineup it’s still a coin flip going up against TBL and then BOS. Special teams and goaltending could be **** again and we’re fukced.

Can you tell I’m stressed lol
stressed-stressed-out.gif

that's a stretch we're not 5 players away from contending. For one thing you don't need an absolutely 100% perfect lineup to contend. For another, we really only would have use for, assuming no regulars dealt, a physical D (can even be a cheaper depth D like Schenn), 2LW, maybe 3C. That being said, I don't believe we need all of those things. I'd like a 2LW. Kampf has shown he steps up, Holmberg has been good. If that's our 3C - 4C i'm comfortable enough. And the D has been very good. Maybe we get someone who can be trusted/physical but it doesn't necessarily have to be a big name and it doesn't necessarily have to break the bank or trade assets.

In terms of 2 bottom 6 wingers - why? If we get a 2LW we have Kerfoot, ZAR, Engvall, Jarnkrok as bottom 6 wings, that's pretty solid. Then even beyond that Knies (major dark-horse), Anderson, Hunt, Simmonds, and a few others that could step into the 4th line if needed. Top 4 D, also why? We have 6 defensemen that I am comfortable enough with in the top 4 right now. Especially, Mo + Brodie + Gio + Liljegren + Holl (yes, I said Holl, he's been solid this year). Would it be nice to get a top 4 D? Yea, probably. Is it needed? Absolutely not. I'd settle for a physical vet that may or may not crack the starting 6.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Calgary is in a playoff spot so I doubt they move Ruzicka
I prompted Henrique but I just dont see ANA retaining 50%
Garland's on buyout watch so lets wait
Chycrun I mean sure but going for a true RD is smarter

And moving on from Rielly would be a massive embarrassing move for Dubas to move on from Rielly after 1 year of signing his extension. Let the guy get healthy and get back to his old good ways as if he can get back to last years form were good. Cant be giving up on a player after 1 injury riddled season especially when that guy has been here the longest and is arguably the true C of the team

I have been wanting to move on from Rielly for years, didn't want him extended.

But I get what your saying, which is why I pointed that it's not realistic.

On Ruzicka, thought he was in Suter doghouse?
Feb. 6, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Give them whatever prospect they want (besides Knies) and 2 1sts

4 years at 3.75mill for a 3c who in tight situations can be a fill in 2c and who can contribute on the PP and PK along with bringing in some leadership qualities = steal
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
that's a stretch we're not 5 players away from contending. For one thing you don't need an absolutely 100% perfect lineup to contend. For another, we really only would have use for, assuming no regulars dealt, a physical D (can even be a cheaper depth D like Schenn), 2LW, maybe 3C. That being said, I don't believe we need all of those things. I'd like a 2LW. Kampf has shown he steps up, Holmberg has been good. If that's our 3C - 4C i'm comfortable enough. And the D has been very good. Maybe we get someone who can be trusted/physical but it doesn't necessarily have to be a big name and it doesn't necessarily have to break the bank or trade assets.

In terms of 2 bottom 6 wingers - why? If we get a 2LW we have Kerfoot, ZAR, Engvall, Jarnkrok as bottom 6 wings, that's pretty solid. Then even beyond that Knies (major dark-horse), Anderson, Hunt, Simmonds, and a few others that could step into the 4th line if needed. Top 4 D, also why? We have 6 defensemen that I am comfortable enough with in the top 4 right now. Especially, Mo + Brodie + Gio + Liljegren + Holl (yes, I said Holl, he's been solid this year). Would it be nice to get a top 4 D? Yea, probably. Is it needed? Absolutely not. I'd settle for a physical vet that may or may not crack the starting 6.

A lot to unpack in here, I’ll just go with agree to disagree. We all want the same thing, success.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.

Give them whatever prospect they want (besides Knies) and 2 1sts

4 years at 3.75mill for a 3c who in tight situations can be a fill in 2c and who can contribute on the PP and PK along with bringing in some leadership qualities = steal

higher end prospect + 2 firsts for our 3C is ridiculous. Unless he's at sub 2M with term (he's not), that's just a poor use of assets, and yes I know how good he is. I'd love to have him, but that's just too much for the role we'd have him in. Not to mention the cap complications of locking in to 3.75Mx4 for our 3C next year and beyond). I'd love the Leafs to get him, but absolute nope if that's the price.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 4:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 6, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
higher end prospect + 2 firsts for our 3C is ridiculous. Unless he's at sub 2M with term (he's not), that's just a poor use of assets, and yes I know how good he is. I'd love to have him, but that's just too much for the role we'd have him in. Not to mention the cap complications of locking in to 3.75Mx4 for our 3C next year and beyond). I'd love the Leafs to get him, but absolute nope if that's the price.

The thing with Jenner he would be a 3c on the Leafs yes but in the event JT or Matthews get hurt he would slot in as the 2c and be an upgrade over Kerfoot, Holmberg, etc

And if we factor in the contract and what he would bring Leafs would give up big to get him and at this point all options should be explored

As good Centers get paid big and if we had Matthews, Tavares, Jenner, and either Holmberg or Kampf as the 4c were set.

Cause rn if we go into the playoffs with

Engvall-Kampf-Kerfoot
ZAR-Holmberg-Simmonds/Hunt/Anderson/McMann

Just get the Golf clubs out early

We cant just be in the mindset of oh we need to save picks and not spend big on guys like this. Tampa went out and spent 5 1sts in 3 years on Hagel, Coleman, Goodrow and Savard and it resulted in 3 SCF appearances and 2 Cups

Still if Dubas walks out of the TDL with Jenner, McCabe and Lafferty and yeets Kerfoot to the Moon thats a huge W

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll