Forums/Armchair-GM

2023 TDL Mostly Tweaks and Depth

Created by: TML_GM
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 19, 2023
Published: Jan. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
(Haven't posted in a long time, but had some time to play. I know not many will read this description.)

Rather than sending out 1st round picks or top prospects for rental vets with the potential for injury (See Exhibit A - Nick Foligno), I propose the Leafs focus on several smaller moves to improve depth, secondary scoring, and physicality. They can target some D in the minors with other teams out of the playoff picture for added depth (should they go on a longer playoff run... you know, more than 7 games). Then look to target some players from rebuilding teams or teams that look to be out of the playoffs and possibly looking to recoup some assets for a retool or move on from a player. The core of the team and leadership group remains untouched here as well to help avoid chemistry issues/disgruntled players, etc.

Targets:

Physical forwards with skill:

Max Domi (Pending UFA - Age 27 - C/LW) - Similar player to Bunting, but over his career has been a bit more physical (though he has only registered 11 hits this season). Family history with team (dad played for the Leafs, was close with Mats Sundin) and familiarity with Marner (from OHL), could help his large personality fit with the group. He has had an up and down career but has done well in Chicago playing with a skilled player in Kane. He certainly understands the pressures of playing in Toronto. I feel he would be a fit in the second line LW spot, providing some agitation, physical play, and scoring touch. His ability to play centre (55% on faceoffs this season) is an added bonus should one of Tavares or Matthews go down to injury (better C option than Kerfoot) and could centre the 2nd PP unit. Chicago is likely willing to retain 50% given his UFA status next season, fewer teams likely in on him due to his history.

Tanner Jeannot (Pending RFA - Age 25 - RW/LW) - Power forward at the end of his 2 year contract (cheap deal at 800K), having a down year offensively. Nashville may not be willing to part ways with him, but if they are he should be on the list for the Leafs. He is a budding power forward in the vein of a Tom Wilson, Milan Lucic, Lawson Crouse, etc. who can skate, has good hands, hits (3rd in the NHL), and is a willing/eager combatant when called for (see hockeyfights.com). Power forwards usually take a little longer to stabilize in the NHL and the Leafs would retain his rights and likely be able to sign him on a low cap deal for 2-3 years. For the remainder of this season, I see him as a 4th line forward with the ability to move to the 3rd line (where he plays in NSH). He could also provide a net-front presence on PP2.

Noel Acciari (Pending UFA - Age 31 - C/RW) - Good on the forecheck (9th in hits). Having a good season with STL (better numbers than O'Reilly, not saying he's a better player but just an interesting note). Noel would fit nicely as the 4C who could play as high as 3C or 3RW if injuries occurred. He is above 50% on the draw and kills penalties. He also brings years of playoff experience from Boston and Florida. While he isn't tall at 5'10", he is a heavy player at over 200 lbs. His shooting percentage is abnormally high, so I wouldn't expect high production on the 4th line in Toronto but he would make that line more defensively responsible and harder to play against, with less concern should they get stuck out against a top line due to an icing.

Note: Adding these players also makes playing for lineup spots more of a competition for the bottom six (should help boost play) and allows the coaching staff to dress the best possible lineup to play against specific types of opponents. ZAR, Engvall, Jeannot, and Hunt will be fighting for 2 spots in the bottom 6 come playoff time.

Depth Defensemen (in AHL currently, added for black ace support during playoffs)
- The Leafs have shown that their current D group is capable of weathering significant injuries, at least short term, and is playing well as a group. These depth moves are just EXAMPLES. Similar players can be found in the AHL with other teams, but it is just to illustrate the concept.

Michael Del Zotto (Pending UFA - Age 32 - LHD) - Good team guy at the end of his pro career, but has lots of experience and could fill an offensive hole short term if there were a number of injuries on the backend. He is currently in the AHL and would remain there after a trade until the playoffs where he would be on the black ace practice squad. He has played 736 NHL games and another 32 in the playoffs. Anaheim would likely take anything for him or even move him for future considerations.

Dysin Mayo (Signed through 24-25 at 900k cap - Age 26 - RHD) Signed to a 3-year deal at a 900K cap hit, currently in the AHL. ARZ likely doesn't want to pay him the 2M he is owed the next two seasons to play in the AHL, but that is no issue for the Leafs. While he hasn't played consistently in the NHL this season (16 games), he played 67 last season and has NHL experience. He could likely be had for any player on an two-way deal and stay with the Marlies until there are injury issues.

This roster has quite a bit of depth and a strong taxi squad of NHL-capable players:
(W) Simmonds (possibly lost to waivers)
(D) Benn (possibly lost to waivers)
(W) Knies* (if signed to ELC)
(C) Holmberg
(W) McMann
(W) Anderson
(C) Gaudette
(D) Del Zotto
(D) Mayo
(G) Kallgren (or Woll, though they likely want him playing with the Marlies)

Note all trades are open to negotiation and simple estimates. Pricing always varies by deadline based on demand, cap space, etc.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Domi, Max ($1,500,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Mayo, Dysin
  2. 2024 7th round pick (BOS)
STL
  1. Abruzzese, Nick
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
  3. 2024 6th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Jeannot, Tanner
Additional Details:
Adjusted for need/value - not sure I make this trade though.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,608,746$212,500$0$891,254

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$827,500$827,500 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
RFA - 1
RW
RFA - 1
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 3
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Chicago trade seems fair. Might need to add a late round pick for the retention.

Nashville easily rejects. Jeannot's contract is highly valuable and he's a player that's hard to find these days.
It'll be an overpay to acquire him.

That's an overpay for Acciari. 3rd and 5th is fine for a 3rd/4th line C. No need to add Hirvonen.
If that's the case, I'd go after Barbashev instead who is a better fit to fill the Leafs' glaring hole at LW.

Anaheim trade doesn't help either team. Leafs have enough capable defensemen right now.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
mokumboi
What prospect could you offer in place of Hirvonen?

Quoting: Dominot

That's an overpay for Acciari. 3rd and 5th is fine for a 3rd/4th line C. No need to add Hirvonen.

Shh! I'm trying to negotiate here. cool
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Edited Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Chicago trade seems fair. Might need to add a late round pick for the retention.

Nashville easily rejects. Jeannot's contract is highly valuable and he's a player that's hard to find these days.
It'll be an overpay to acquire him.

If that's the case, I'd go after Barbashev instead who is a better fit to fill the Leafs' glaring hole at LW.

Anaheim trade doesn't help either team. Leafs have enough capable defensemen right now.

Jeannot deal is more of a pipe dream, I know it is unlikely that NSH has any desire to part with him for actual value. If Roberston was healthy (it happens on occassion) I would have included him.

I have a feeling Acciari will draw more interest from more teams at the deadline since he is affordable for most cap-tight contenders which may drive up his price. Happy to remove Hirvonen, but need to move a contract out since we're at 50 with a signed Knies - suggestions? Personally, I'm not sold on Barbashev, he'd cost more and hasn't had a great season this year if I recall correctly. I feel Domi fills that LW hole better, at least in the short term and helps with that lacking NHL top-6 C depth for the Leafs after 34 and 91.

There's never "enough" capable D if there's a long playoff run. But the depth D deals are just examples, there will likely be other similar options out there as well.
MartyFakenewsman and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Really appreciate that you took the time to write out a well thought out description for the ACGM with your reasoning on why you want to pick up certain players and how the fit into the lineup. Gold star.
OldNYIfan and Hawksguy81 liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
You're going to have to give us at least 1 piece we'd rather have that Jeannot.

TJ > NA

TJ > '23 3rd

TJ > NR (From your other comment)

I would rather keep Jeannot than to trade him for pieces we don't want/need or even helps us.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
You're going to have to give us at least 1 piece we'd rather have that Jeannot.

TJ > NA

TJ > '23 3rd

TJ > NR (From your other comment)

I would rather keep Jeannot than to trade him for pieces we don't want/need or even helps us.

What are you looking for in NSH? You're a bit of a tweener/play-off bubble team of late. Seems you have a lot of "Smash" type players in Smashville, but lacking a bit in the skill department, but we don't get a ton of NSH coverage up here. Help me, help you!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Really appreciate that you took the time to write out a well thought out description for the ACGM with your reasoning on why you want to pick up certain players and how the fit into the lineup. Gold star.

Thanks. Gold stars are greatly appreciated, but I'm going to flip that gold star for 2 silver stars and a bronze star.
OldNYIfan and mokumboi liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
>> Del Zotto: Anaheim would likely take anything for him or even move him for future considerations.

Anaheim acquired Del Zotto a month ago because the Gulls desperately needed a veteran defenseman to stabilize the AHL blue line. Trading him away isn't going to happen, especially for a forward. Granted this is an inconsequential trade in the grand scheme but your read of the Anaheim situation couldn't be further from the truth.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: TML_GM
Jeannot deal is more of a pipe dream, I know it is unlikely that NSH has any desire to part with him for actual value. If Roberston was healthy (it happens on occassion) I would have included him.

I have a feeling Acciari will draw more interest from more teams at the deadline since he is affordable for most cap-tight contenders which may drive up his price. Happy to remove Hirvonen, but need to move a contract out since we're at 50 with a signed Knies - suggestions? Personally, I'm not sold on Barbashev, he'd cost more and hasn't had a great season this year if I recall correctly. I feel Domi fills that LW hole better, at least in the short term and helps with that lacking NHL top-6 C depth for the Leafs after 34 and 91.

There's never "enough" capable D if there's a long playoff run. But the depth D deals are just examples, there will likely be other similar options out there as well.

In terms of prospect, maybe Abruzzese or SDA?

Call me delusional, but I feel that Barbashev can be for the Leafs similar to what Lehkonen was for COL in their championship run.
We saw in 2022 that Barbashev has great offensive potential and that can definitely be utilized more by playing 2nd line with JT and Marner.

Lehkonen wasn't exactly the biggest threat offensively in MTL because he was on the 3rd line, but coming to a contender did wonders for him.
I think that would help with someone like Barbashev.
Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

And yeah, maybe you can't enough defensemen considering the Leafs blueline woes this season.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.
What are you looking for in NSH? You're a bit of a tweener/play-off bubble team of late. Seems you have a lot of "Smash" type players in Smashville, but lacking a bit in the skill department, but we don't get a ton of NSH coverage up here. Help me, help you!

It's honestly a value that's tough to pinpoint imo. NA & NR just really don't do anything for us (or me anyway, I won't speak for everyone) and the 3rd is a longshot. We honestly probably won't move him unless it's an overpay.

We need a legit top 6 winger but we have quality prospects waiting in the minors who could easily fill that void. We also need another quality, young RD which I see you guys have... While I doubt you'd want to pay it, we're probably looking for something that equates to the value of a 1st round pick minimum otherwise we'll just sharpen pencils and sign him ourselves hoping he returns to form.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:44 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: CHAR
>> Del Zotto: Anaheim would likely take anything for him or even move him for future considerations.

Anaheim acquired Del Zotto a month ago because the Gulls desperately needed a veteran defenseman to stabilize the AHL blue line. Trading him away isn't going to happen, especially for a forward. Granted this is an inconsequential trade in the grand scheme but your read of the Anaheim situation couldn't be further from the truth.

Good insight. I wasn't aware that Anaheim had D issues in the AHL (though it isn't surprising given where the franchise is in their rebuild). If MDZ is happy there and helping then you're right he may not be available unless it is for a similar D asset or if ANA acquires more D as cap dumps at the deadline for picks/prospects. I think MDZ, being from the Toronto area, would likely be open to a trade to Toronto at the deadline if circumstances were correct and your GM may be open to helping him end his NHL career in a Leafs (practice) jersey if an offer was made. But again, it isn't a must for TOR to acquire him, just the sort of deal that they should look for to bolster depth without impacting the NHL roster.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
It's honestly a value that's tough to pinpoint imo. NA & NR just really don't do anything for us (or me anyway, I won't speak for everyone) and the 3rd is a longshot. We honestly probably won't move him unless it's an overpay.

We need a legit top 6 winger but we have quality prospects waiting in the minors who could easily fill that void. We also need another quality, young RD which I see you guys have... While I doubt you'd want to pay it, we're probably looking for something that equates to the value of a 1st round pick minimum otherwise we'll just sharpen pencils and sign him ourselves hoping he returns to form.

Nick Robertson, once upon a time, could have filled that top 6 winger need but he is now in reclamation project territory thanks to his injuries. The Leafs still need a top-6 LW of their own so we aren't a good match there.

When it comes to young RHD, our prize jewel is Topi Niemelä, who is currently playing in the Finnish League and likely to come to North America next season. Highly skilled offensive minded D, who won top D at the World Juniors a couple of years ago IIRC. I doubt our GM would part with him for Jeannot though, especially since he would be fighting for 4th line minutes on the Leafs, it would have to be for a more solidified player. I suppose we can let you sign him and see if he continues to stutter offensively and try to nab him at a lower price later or find an alternative. Most of the older fanbase in Toronto has a bit of a thing for rough and tumble players from Saskatchewan (probably because of some guy named Wendel in the 80s and 90s).
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
In terms of prospect, maybe Abruzzese or SDA?

Call me delusional, but I feel that Barbashev can be for the Leafs similar to what Lehkonen was for COL in their championship run.
We saw in 2022 that Barbashev has great offensive potential and that can definitely be utilized more by playing 2nd line with JT and Marner.

Lehkonen wasn't exactly the biggest threat offensively in MTL because he was on the 3rd line, but coming to a contender did wonders for him.

And yeah, maybe you can't enough defensemen considering the Leafs blueline woes this season.

Fair. Seems my NSH trade fell through so we can move Abruzzese out instead. I just don't see him as working his way into the Leaf lineup next season, but he could in STL as they begin to retool.

The Lehkonen comparison is a good one, though it seems like every playoffs some players just seem to catch lightening in a bottle and out perform expectations. We saw that in the TOR/TBL series last season with Nick Paul as well. If Barbashev had more history of performing like he did last season, I would be more inclined to pursue him. It all depends on the ask from STL ultimately. He might be a better free agent gamble as he could likely be signed without much term at a reasonable contract in a "prove-it" type deal (and the Toronto top 6 is a great place to prove yourself and get paid - ask Bunting this summer).
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I'll echo my esteemed colleague @GiggyWithGibby and say Thanks for the great read and here's a second gold star.

I really wish that more ACGMs were of the "express and invite opinions" type (like this one is) rather than the "pronouncement" type. I guess we should all infer the former intention even when not explicit; it would make for greater enjoyment of this site. The "Team Description" is the most under-used facility in CapFriendly ACGMs.
GiggywithGibby liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

And look what happened with Phillip Danault once the shackles were off.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Nick Robertson, once upon a time, could have filled that top 6 winger need but he is now in reclamation project territory thanks to his injuries. The Leafs still need a top-6 LW of their own so we aren't a good match there.

When it comes to young RHD, our prize jewel is Topi Niemelä, who is currently playing in the Finnish League and likely to come to North America next season. Highly skilled offensive minded D, who won top D at the World Juniors a couple of years ago IIRC. I doubt our GM would part with him for Jeannot though, especially since he would be fighting for 4th line minutes on the Leafs, it would have to be for a more solidified player. I suppose we can let you sign him and see if he continues to stutter offensively and try to nab him at a lower price later or find an alternative. Most of the older fanbase in Toronto has a bit of a thing for rough and tumble players from Saskatchewan (probably because of some guy named Wendel in the 80s and 90s).

Fair enough, that's why I said what I did lol don't think most would really be willing to pay
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I'll echo my esteemed colleague GiggyWithGibby and say Thanks for the great read and here's a second gold star.

I really wish that more ACGMs were of the "express and invite opinions" type (like this one is) rather than the "pronouncement" type. I guess we should all infer the former intention even when not explicit; it would make for greater enjoyment of this site. The "Team Description" is the most under-used facility in CapFriendly ACGMs.

Thanks kindly. Gold stars are like draft picks, you can never have too many.

This site was pretty toxic for a while which is why I stopped posting, but it is nice to see that there are still some civilized AGMs on here with the ability and desire to read and converse, not just blindly argue.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:31 p.m.
I had a Leafs fan rip my head off and dismissed my opinion because I suggested that Jeannot would be a good fit for the leafs, seeing as they need more bottom 6 physicality.

I wouldn't mind this move, but we'd probably rather part with a pick.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: EvanderKanesLawyer
I had a Leafs fan rip my head off and dismissed my opinion because I suggested that Jeannot would be a good fit for the leafs, seeing as they need more bottom 6 physicality.

I wouldn't mind this move, but we'd probably rather part with a pick.

The problem with having such a large fanbase is that there are a lot of different attitudes and ideas about what this team needs. Do a Twitter search for Kyle Dubas and see just how fragmented this fanbase is when it comes to what has been done, what needs to be done, what the team's needs are, etc.

Jeannot is essentially a wager, a gamble. When acquiring him, you are hoping this season is a hiccup and he continues to progress as a power forward in the future. At minimum he checks the needs boxes for a physical winger that can skate with this group and won't cost a lot on the cap short term. Ideally the Leafs would acquire him and sign him to a 3-year extension deal between 900k and 1.5M, which takes him through the end of Tavares contract and if he has proven himself a top power forward at that time, then there will be cap to pay him appropriately (between a rising cap and money coming off the books). There is, sadly, a real possibility that Bunting will have priced himself out of Toronto by the end of this season (similar to Hyman). If so, Jeannot could slide into that spot with a similar cap hit, at least as an experiment, to see if riding shotgun with Matthews and Nylander/Marner boosts his production in a similar fashion. Whether he goes "Bunting" or goes "Ritchie" is hard to predict. He would have the added benefit of keeping the flies off Matthews and company in the top-6 as well (the non-stop cross checks to 34's ribs and back would end quickly). Topi Niemelä or a 1st rounder is a high price to pay for a gamble, but if it pays off the Leafs will have found the unicorn power forward they have wanted (and the fanbase will fall in love with their new "blue collar hero").

It just seems unlikely Dubas will make a long term gamble like that with so much at stake this season.
Ennis liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
The problem with having such a large fanbase is that there are a lot of different attitudes and ideas about what this team needs. Do a Twitter search for Kyle Dubas and see just how fragmented this fanbase is when it comes to what has been done, what needs to be done, what the team's needs are, etc.

Jeannot is essentially a wager, a gamble. When acquiring him, you are hoping this season is a hiccup and he continues to progress as a power forward in the future. At minimum he checks the needs boxes for a physical winger that can skate with this group and won't cost a lot on the cap short term. Ideally the Leafs would acquire him and sign him to a 3-year extension deal between 900k and 1.5M, which takes him through the end of Tavares contract and if he has proven himself a top power forward at that time, then there will be cap to pay him appropriately (between a rising cap and money coming off the books). There is, sadly, a real possibility that Bunting will have priced himself out of Toronto by the end of this season (similar to Hyman). If so, Jeannot could slide into that spot with a similar cap hit, at least as an experiment, to see if riding shotgun with Matthews and Nylander/Marner boosts his production in a similar fashion. Whether he goes "Bunting" or goes "Ritchie" is hard to predict. He would have the added benefit of keeping the flies off Matthews and company in the top-6 as well (the non-stop cross checks to 34's ribs and back would end quickly). Topi Niemelä or a 1st rounder is a high price to pay for a gamble, but if it pays off the Leafs will have found the unicorn power forward they have wanted (and the fanbase will fall in love with their new "blue collar hero").

It just seems unlikely Dubas will make a long term gamble like that with so much at stake this season.

Well said, I agree. I don't think Poile would move Jeannot, but I'd rather see him find success elsewhere. Toronto should definitely be that team.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
Edited Jan. 19, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Good insight. I wasn't aware that Anaheim had D issues in the AHL (though it isn't surprising given where the franchise is in their rebuild).

The Ducks really mismanaged their defensive pipeline if you ask me and it's a big part of both the NHL and AHL teams being terrible at the same time. In 2017 and 2018 they selected zero blue liners in the draft and then in 2019 they took a few from the NCAA that look like solid prospects still but stayed in school all 4 years. They took 1 defenseman in both 2015 and 2016, neither panned out. The three they drafted in 2013 and 2014 are all top-4 guys on other teams but were basically traded away for nothing. It's been a real **** show for years.

The future looks real bright with Drysdale, Zellweger, Mintyukov, Warren, etc but it's going to be another year or more likely two. God help us Ducks fans if any of those kids bust.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: CHAR
The Ducks really mismanaged their defensive pipeline if you ask me and it's a big part of both the NHL and AHL teams being terrible at the same time. In 2017 and 2018 they selected zero blue liners in the draft and then in 2019 they took a few from the NCAA that look like solid prospects still but stayed in school all 4 years. They took 1 defenseman in both 2015 and 2016, neither panned out. The three they drafted in 2013 and 2014 are all top-4 guys on other teams but were basically traded away for nothing. It's been a real **** show for years.

The future looks real bright with Drysdale, Zellweger, Mintyukov, Warren, etc but it's going to be another year or more likely two. God help us Ducks fans if any of those kids bust.

Ouch, that's poor asset management for sure. Since the Ducks were screwed over by the lockout in the Crosby draft, I would love to see you luck out and get Bedard in the draft this year. Putting him with Zegras and Terry would give you pretty much what the Leafs had in Matthews, Marner and Nylander after we bottomed out. It took the Leafs a while for the D to catch up as well, but our 2017 and 2018 first round D picks are finally blossoming into legit top-4s this season with Liligren and Sandin. You'll get there! Stay strong and stay patient.
CHAR liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll