SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/San Jose Sharks

The number of people who think Meier having a 10M QO will means he will take nothing less than 10M is infuriating.

Jan. 24, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
I very rarely post on this site anymore. But anytime I come to lurk and see what people are posting, I see the typical fans of *undisclosed teams* who say Meier is going to go the UFA because he will never take a 8x8M or even a 8x9M, and that he will either get a 10M per year contract or become a UFA. It's infuriating to see so few people who actually understand what a QO is or how it would affect Meier's negotiations.
yikes liked this.
Feb. 24, 2023 at 11:28 a.m.
I agree. The qualifying offer is only for one year, so most players would rather have term, even if it means less AAV.

However, I do believe that the $10M qualifying offer reduces his trade value, because if you can’t sign him before June 25, you have to give him a qualifying offer to prevent him from becoming a UFA. Then there’s a chance he’ll accept it, so unless the Sharks allow other teams to negotiate an extension with him before the trade, a team trading for him now would have to be prepared to overpay him for a year and risk losing him after that. If they’re not willing to take that chance, then to them he’s really no different from a pending UFA.

I think that’s why he hasn’t been traded yet. San Jose probably wants a return that you’d expect for a long-term acquisition, but other teams are looking at him as a rental with an expensive option for an additional year and no guarantee of anything beyond that. Either that or the Sharks are allowing the contract negotiations and they’re taking time.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll