Forums/Armchair-GM

Grier learned the lessons

Created by: NikitaAviva
Team: 2023-24 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2023
Published: Jan. 25, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The main principle is not to spend a lot of money in the offseason so that there are resources in the future for signing youth. The 2023-2024 season is rather transitional, but there are chances for a wild card.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$825,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,950,000
2$850,000
2$950,000
2$800,000
2$950,000
1$900,000
2$800,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,900,000
2$5,000,000
1$1,500,000
1$1,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Carlsson, Leo
3$900,000
Trades
SJS
  1. Bahl, Kevin [RFA Rights]
  2. Holtz, Alexander
  3. 2023 1st round pick (NJD)
  4. 2024 6th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
+Andreas Johnsson
NJD
  1. Hatakka, Santeri
  2. Meier, Timo [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Trade before the deadline. 50% retained
SJS
  1. 2023 5th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
For Bonino
TOR
SJS
  1. 2024 4th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
For Nieto
WPG
SJS
  1. 2024 6th round pick (TBL)
SJS
ARI
  1. Lindblom, Oskar
  2. 2023 5th round pick (TOR)
SJS
ARI
  1. Simek, Radim
  2. 2024 6th round pick (TBL)
SJS
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Ferraro, Mario
Additional Details:
Replacement for Gavrikov
SJS
  1. Attard, Ronnie [RFA Rights]
PHI
  1. Merkley, Ryan [RFA Rights]
SJS
  1. 2024 5th round pick (DAL)
DAL
  1. Gregor, Noah [RFA Rights]
BOS
    Future considerations
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$74,631,668$25,000$1,700,000$8,868,332

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW
    RFA - 3
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA
    $916,667$916,667
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,950,000$1,950,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 8:16 a.m.
    Billy739
    I like the NJD deal it makes sense for all sides in a rebuild.
    Im just not sure that's Grier's angle as it seems more like he's just making it his team now with his changes.

Still think VGK and SJS are going to be making a deal that involves Karlsson.

Timo gives VGK a rental they can use and a way out on the Karlsson deal
    It also gives them a chance to wine and dine Timo into staying in VGK at a team friendly price.
    But even if he decide's to demand more with Karlsson out that possibility becomes a reality cap wise(just at Martinez expense )

If they Structured the deal right they could make this work without too much growing pain.
    Moving Karlsson, Roy , Cormier and a 1st round for Meier and Merkley
    Both teams are better after the trade as it gives SJS a way out on Merkley to as fans will assume Cormier was swapped for Merkley when in reality Only Cormier retains real value as Always Injured Merkley becomes Waiver Eligible after this year. Then again maybe Trading Merkley will do for him what it did for Beaudin going from CHI to MTL's AHL teams on pace for a Career best after 4 years Pro with many setbacks he's thriving 13 points in 17 games . The point is while the Value isnt high on Merkley the odds of him rebounding after a system change arent as low.
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 8:33 a.m.
    Quoting: Billy739
    Im just not sure that's Grier's angle as it seems more like he's just making it his team now with his changes.

It also gives them a chance to wine and dine Timo into staying in VGK at a team friendly price.
    But even if he decide's to demand more with Karlsson out that possibility becomes a reality cap wise(just at Martinez expense )

If they Structured the deal right they could make this work without too much growing pain.
    Both teams are better after the trade as it gives SJS a way out on Merkley to as fans will assume Cormier was swapped for Merkley when in reality Only Cormier retains real value as Always Injured Merkley becomes Waiver Eligible after this year. Then again maybe Trading Merkley will do for him what it did for Beaudin going from CHI to MTL's AHL teams on pace for a Career best after 4 years Pro with many setbacks he's thriving 13 points in 17 games . The point is while the Value isnt high on Merkley the odds of him rebounding after a system change arent as low.

Yeah, SJ is going to send their 2 best players to their biggest rival…
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 8:36 a.m.
    Quoting: Billy739

I think no chances that SJS make trades with VGK. First, we are in the same division. Secondly, the two opposing teams will not make any trades-blockbusters. Besides, why do we need their Karlsson? We have enough centers of our own.
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 8:43 a.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    For Meier, I think the leading candidates end up being Jersey and Carolina. Personally, I think Carolina ends up making a bigger push for Meier with Patches being done for the season. And I get that SJ would want pieces like Jarvis or Morrow, and those aren’t happening, but I could see a deal being centered around Koivunen and/or Nikishin. I wouldn’t be surprised if the only prospects the Canes consider untouchable would be Kochetkov and Morrow, with the other goalie prospects unlikely to be moved as well due to lack of goalie prospects.
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 10:26 a.m.
    do not Devil my ass
    The Devils don't need the Sharks retaining and taking Johnsson, one of the measures will be enough in a Meier deal.
    Return lies outside any reasonable comparables for a 'rental' winger (10m QO makes Meier effectively a rental).
    That 1st would likely have to be bumped down to a 2nd for the deal to make sense, and even then it beats the returns Mark Stone and Kevin Fiala got.
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 10:42 a.m.
    Quoting: evelutions2
    For Meier, I think the leading candidates end up being Jersey and Carolina. Personally, I think Carolina ends up making a bigger push for Meier with Patches being done for the season. And I get that SJ would want pieces like Jarvis or Morrow, and those aren’t happening, but I could see a deal being centered around Koivunen and/or Nikishin. I wouldn’t be surprised if the only prospects the Canes consider untouchable would be Kochetkov and Morrow, with the other goalie prospects unlikely to be moved as well due to lack of goalie prospects.

I wouldn't consider Kochetkov a prospect. Signed a 4-year extension already, has proven he can play in NHL. Maybe he still plays some AHL games this year, but I imagine he is probably closer to core than prospect pool.

As for Meier, my thought for CAR was: Jackson Blake, Scott Morrow, 1st, 3rd with Meier extension (probably around $8m, but hopefully twice that)
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    I wouldn't consider Kochetkov a prospect. Signed a 4-year extension already, has proven he can play in NHL. Maybe he still plays some AHL games this year, but I imagine he is probably closer to core than prospect pool.

As for Meier, my thought for CAR was: Jackson Blake, Scott Morrow, 1st, 3rd with Meier extension (probably around $8m, but hopefully twice that)

With Kochetkov, he proved he could play at the NHL level out of necessity, just like Shmid and Daws have for NJ, and even Ersson for Philly. The plan for Koochie this year was he play for the Wolves the entire year to round out his game, and then be up full time next year. That obviously didn’t happen, due to injuries. But given that he is still not up full time, it’s not out of the question to call him a prospect. I agree he is closer to core than prospect, though.

As for Morrow, I can’t see the Canes entertaining the thought of moving him. Any potential star RHD, you either have to draft and develop your own (Makar), pay the massive price in a trade to acquire them (Hamilton from Calgary to Carolina), or overpay in free agency (Hamilton signing in NJ). The Canes are attempting to use option 1 with Morrow, as of all their RHD prospects, he is the one that is most likely to become a star/superstar. And I doubt the Canes want to be in the position that a team like Vancouver is in, where they don’t have the RHD in the pipeline, and they are unlikely to pay the price to acquire one, and are in arguably the toughest position to bring players in as UFA’s (being in Canada and as of right now, having a terrible reputation). The timeline for Morrow is perfect with Burns’ timeline, so a transition could be pretty seamless. As for Blake, I’m pretty sure the Canes would prefer not to move him, but would be willing to in order to get a certain player.
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
    With Kochetkov, he proved he could play at the NHL level out of necessity, just like Shmid and Daws have for NJ, and even Ersson for Philly. The plan for Koochie this year was he play for the Wolves the entire year to round out his game, and then be up full time next year. That obviously didn’t happen, due to injuries. But given that he is still not up full time, it’s not out of the question to call him a prospect. I agree he is closer to core than prospect, though.

As for Morrow, I can’t see the Canes entertaining the thought of moving him. Any potential star RHD, you either have to draft and develop your own (Makar), pay the massive price in a trade to acquire them (Hamilton from Calgary to Carolina), or overpay in free agency (Hamilton signing in NJ). The Canes are attempting to use option 1 with Morrow, as of all their RHD prospects, he is the one that is most likely to become a star/superstar. And I doubt the Canes want to be in the position that a team like Vancouver is in, where they don’t have the RHD in the pipeline, and they are unlikely to pay the price to acquire one, and are in arguably the toughest position to bring players in as UFA’s (being in Canada and as of right now, having a terrible reputation). The timeline for Morrow is perfect with Burns’ timeline, so a transition could be pretty seamless. As for Blake, I’m pretty sure the Canes would prefer not to move him, but would be willing to in order to get a certain player.

But the defense is an issue with Morrow. I don’t think he projects to the levels of Makar, Hamilton, Burns, etc. I would see more Tyson Barrie (skating, puck-handling), with a touch of Chychrun (shot release).

Will be interesting to see how he develops.
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    But the defense is an issue with Morrow. I don’t think he projects to the levels of Makar, Hamilton, Burns, etc. I would see more Tyson Barrie (skating, puck-handling), with a touch of Chychrun (shot release).

Will be interesting to see how he develops.

His offensive projections are definitely high, and whilst the defensive abilities could use some work, the Canes have an uncanny ability to work out the kinks in a defensman’s defensive game. I mean, look at Hamilton, DeAngelo, and Faulk. Of the 3, Faulk was the best defensively, but none of them were truly that good on the defensive. With the Canes, whilst they weren’t the most reliable in the dzone, they at least became somewhat viable. While I do see Morrow’s breaking of Makar’s records as a good thing, I don’t see him as the next Makar, but I could see him develop into somewhat like a Burns or Weber kind of player. Maybe not as good defensively, but probably as good offensively or maybe even better. Either which way, his future is looking quite bright.
    Jan. 25, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
    His offensive projections are definitely high, and whilst the defensive abilities could use some work, the Canes have an uncanny ability to work out the kinks in a defensman’s defensive game. I mean, look at Hamilton, DeAngelo, and Faulk. Of the 3, Faulk was the best defensively, but none of them were truly that good on the defensive. With the Canes, whilst they weren’t the most reliable in the dzone, they at least became somewhat viable. While I do see Morrow’s breaking of Makar’s records as a good thing, I don’t see him as the next Makar, but I could see him develop into somewhat like a Burns or Weber kind of player. Maybe not as good defensively, but probably as good offensively or maybe even better. Either which way, his future is looking quite bright.

I think best case scenario is more “righty Quinn Hughes” than Weber, just based on his play style. The way he moves through neutral zone, especially.
    evelutions2 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll