Forums/Armchair-GM

TDL option

Created by: UnkleRakesh
Team: 2022-23 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 26, 2023
Published: Jan. 26, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Bruins might have to trade away some additional low-mid round picks to get Kane and Toews Salary under the cap. If an intermediary team retains another 50%, the Bruins would be about $1M under the cap!

Playing Kane on the 3RW should be a surprising value add to Kane with his hip injury. Hall type story where he doesn’t have to be “the guy”, managed minutes for his injury issue, and will be a significant upgrade over Smith in that role. Also bolsters the 2nd PP unit. Making a true 1A/1B situation there. Hall, Coyle, Kane sound pretty darn close to a 1C forward line.

Toews has the best faceoff win percentage and Captain Canada level leader. He’s much better this year and would be a significant upgrade over Nosek on the 4th line. Another PP/PK option who can move up the lineup as needed.

Upgrading on Grzelyck which also gives the Bruins a good option for a long term 2LD with much more upside than he offers. Not going to lie, Chychrun’s injury risk is somewhat high, but it could be a similar situation as Grze where he’s being asked to play above his current level. In 2LD, he will get slightly less top line matchups, which will allow him to grow into himself a little more. Can be more offense than Grze and has a little more size to bolster that up. He may have some defensive holes, but so does Grze, so, I take the more offense all day. Can run a PP if needed and locks the D down for years to come.

Added bonus to Toews and Kane is the option to extend them should Krejci/Bergy decide not to continue next year. Opens up the option to trade DeBrusk before the draft for a 1st and prospect to help fill the prospect pool and free up some salary while Lysell develops into a full time NHL players. Maybe, instead of trying to pay Horvat, you can get Kane and Toews for a little less and still have a competitive team with top level D and goaltending.

In all fairness, outside of Smith, everyone is adding to this team. Smith isn’t hurting them at all either and maybe time in the top line will get him back to where he was when he came here.

The Bruins could potentially stand Pat and do nothing and I’d be ok with that.

Worse thing they can do change the chemistry of the top 8 forwards. Seeing trades that move more than 2 roster players out makes zero sense. Small, consistent, upgrades at value (players with NMC clauses are perfect).
Trades
BOS
  1. Kane, Patrick ($5,250,000 retained)
  2. Toews, Jonathan ($5,250,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Nosek, Tomas
  2. Reilly, Mike
  3. Smith, Craig
  4. Steen, Oskar
  5. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
  6. 2023 5th round pick (BOS)
  7. 2025 2nd round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Chychrun, Jakob ($600,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Small retention depending on how the Kane and Toews deals go from a salary retention.
ARI
  1. Grzelcyk, Matt
  2. Lohrei, Mason [Reserve List]
  3. 2024 1st round pick (BOS)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$78,666,667$0$4,650,000$3,833,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
-$2,625,000-$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 8
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
G
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,137,500$1,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Who do Bruins target?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 26, 2023 at 1:26 a.m.
Hawks hang up and never call back ever after this insult of an offer. Remove Kane and toews from this trade and the hawks might accept. It's that bad.
V123, Earth and Garak liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 1:39 a.m.
Vegas Repeat
Quoting: SociallyHawkward
Hawks hang up and never call back ever after this insult of an offer. Remove Kane and toews from this trade and the hawks might accept. It's that bad.

Agree
If Chicago accepted this, this would be the most fleeced a team has gotten since the mark stone trade (at least that I can think of)
SociallyHawkward and Garak liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 2:01 a.m.
Take out Kane and Toews from that trade and the Hawks likely accept.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 8:04 a.m.
It blows me away how people think major moves for a team as good as boston is smart.

For what its worth guess which right wing on this roster you just built has the fewest even strength points.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
GM
Quoting: DefenseFirst
It blows me away how people think major moves for a team as good as boston is smart.

For what its worth guess which right wing on this roster you just built has the fewest even strength points.

Moving out Smith who’s been in and out of the lineup and almost no points to add in Kane is not shifting this roster in a bad direction. Look at the team he’s playing on as well.

Nosek is good away from the puck, but so is Toews

Quoting: Lancebmx
Take out Kane and Toews from that trade and the Hawks likely accept.

They both have NMCs. People seem to forget the Hall trade. A bunch of expiring contracts and 3 picks for them, while a fleecing, may actually be the only deal they can get.

I also wrote in my novel of a description that I’d only mess with the bottom of the roster and Grze who is 2nd pair D. While they are big name players coming back, it isn’t changing the dynamic of this team in the wrong direction as some of the 6 team trades that are floating around.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 9:58 a.m.
GM
I also said, I don’t think the Bruins do all of this and should only do it if the results is people are saying “I can’t believe they got him for that” when the dust settles.

Bruins are a wagon right now and you don’t mess with that much. The only small gaps are 3RW and 2LD. Both players who will fill that spot are not hurting the team to any level. I’m more than happy going into the playoffs with the current squad and keeping our picks so when we “suck” next year, we have something in the cupboard to start the “rebuild.”

Hard to call it a rebuild when you have 2 of the best D in the league, top 2 goalies, and if they extend him; one of the best goal scorers in the league.

Also hard to imagine them sucking with those players in the lineup. Goaltending can cover a lot of team issues, but with the center position being as weak as it will be without Bergy and Krejci, the odds of them being a wagon are low.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 10:17 a.m.
Quoting: UnkleRakesh
Moving out Smith who’s been in and out of the lineup and almost no points to add in Kane is not shifting this roster in a bad direction. Look at the team he’s playing on as well.

They both have NMCs. People seem to forget the Hall trade. A bunch of expiring contracts and 3 picks for them, while a fleecing, may actually be the only deal they can get.

I also wrote in my novel of a description that I’d only mess with the bottom of the roster and Grze who is 2nd pair D. While they are big name players coming back, it isn’t changing the dynamic of this team in the wrong direction as some of the 6 team trades that are floating around.

Smith is only in because of injury. You’re not just moving him out. You’re moving someone down. All three of the players you could be moving down have more even strength points than kane, and we all know it’s difficult to find a position on this top powerplay unit. Kane ain’t it. No help.

FYI, this doesn’t mean stand pat. Go get some depth. Go get a Bjugstad in case a center gets dinged up. Go get a Parise to fill in if virtually any winger gets hurt. Grab a Schenn to play behind McAvoy, Carlo, and Clifton in case of injury. The bruins should be focused on injury insurance, not re-making this roster.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.

You seem to forget there are other teams in the league. Kane and Toews not giving Hawks a list of 1. And if this is the return, then I tell Kane and Toews sorry, and let them rot the rest of the year on the Hawks.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 6:06 p.m.

They could get a second round pick for each and have more value going to Chicago. Not too mention they wouldn't have to take Reilly's cap hit.
Jan. 28, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
GM
Quoting: klassic
You seem to forget there are other teams in the league. Kane and Toews not giving Hawks a list of 1. And if this is the return, then I tell Kane and Toews sorry, and let them rot the rest of the year on the Hawks.

You seem to forget that both have full NMC so they can say “only Boston” and the Hawks will take what they can’t get
Jan. 29, 2023 at 10:45 a.m.
Scyie_
Bruins aren't blowing up their entire depth and draft capital for one last miracle cup run. Don Sweeney is a moron but he isn't that stupid to blow up this teams depth and future for one playoff run. this is nonsense

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit