Screw it

Created by: McSorley
Team: 2022-23 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 26, 2023
Published: Jan. 26, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
LAK
  1. Ekholm, Mattias ($2,250,000 retained)
NSH
  1. Björnfot, Tobias
  2. Grans, Helge
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (LAK)
Buyouts
Termination Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$80,896,667$637,500$3,550,000$1,603,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,875,000$7,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,675,000$1,675,000
C
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,900,000$2,900,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RD
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,650,000$2,650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 26, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
So 3+ years of retention is essentially free?
Jan. 26, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
Bjorn and Grans have very little value and a late 2nd only slightly more

so ya, have a premium dman with several years of retention
Jan. 26, 2023 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: OldBoisClubSandwich
Bjorn and Grans have very little value and a late 2nd only slightly more

so ya, have a premium dman with several years of retention

Why do Bjorn and Grans have little value? One's a former first round pick who hasn't done anything to go against that selection and also has over 100 games of experience before he turned 21. The other is a developing 2nd round pick with a really good two-way game and size to go with it. There is certainly good value there.

Not saying this trade value matches what Ekholm with retention would cost, nor is it the package that LA would likely offer (they need left D-men, so why would they trade out Bjornfot?). But it's got significantly more value than you're insinuating.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
Assuming you are a Kings fan, what is the follower players value:

Durzi
Roy
Walker
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.
big no.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 11:18 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: All_Knowing
Assuming you are a Kings fan, what is the follower players value:

Durzi
Roy
Walker

Durzi: fast-improving offensive talent starting to develop a feeling for the defensive side of his assignment. I wouldn't take less than a first or an equivalent LhD for him.
Roy: normally not on the market inasmuch as he's our best defensively-oriented defender. But if you put a package including Martin Fehervary on the table . . .
Walker: seems to me to be still recovering from his season-ending injury last year. I would hope for a late second-round pick, but maybe all we get for him is a third.
All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Durzi: fast-improving offensive talent starting to develop a feeling for the defensive side of his assignment. I wouldn't take less than a first or an equivalent LhD for him.
Roy: normally not on the market inasmuch as he's our best defensively-oriented defender. But if you put a package including Martin Fehervary on the table . . .
Walker: seems to me to be still recovering from his season-ending injury last year. I would hope for a late second-round pick, but maybe all we get for him is a third.

Got it. Really appreciate the information.

Caps were loosely connected to the Kings as the Kings as good RHD options, which the Caps need.

I think the Caps initial trade pieces would be the following (in no order):

Eller -> (I believe a center is not really needed for the Kings)
Mantha -> (big winger with a great shot - honestly, no idea why Lavy does not play him. Analytical, he's been one of the best players on the Caps. Needs a change of scenario imo)
Any pick outside 2023 1st -> (I believe they try to keep their 1st this year as their prospect pool is growing)
McMichael -> (center isn't necessarily a need for the Caps as of now - Lapierre and Protas are really developing nicely)
Lucas Johanson (former 1st - I think best potential would be a bottom 4 LHD/RHD defender)
Alexeyev (this one is a maybe - I think Caps are banking on him being the cheap, 3rd pairing LHD/RHD next year)

If the Caps go after a big name, this list obviously changes. But in my view, I think the Caps go after a defender similar to TVR - someone who can be steady until Carlson comes back.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Caps were loosely connected to the Kings as the Kings as good RHD options, which the Caps need.

Mantha -> (big winger with a great shot - honestly, no idea why Lavy does not play him. Analytical, he's been one of the best players on the Caps. Needs a change of scenario imo)
Any pick outside 2023 1st -> (I believe they try to keep their 1st this year as their prospect pool is growing)
McMichael -> (center isn't necessarily a need for the Caps as of now - Lapierre and Protas are really developing nicely)
Lucas Johanson (former 1st - I think best potential would be a bottom 4 LHD/RHD defender)
Alexeyev (this one is a maybe - I think Caps are banking on him being the cheap, 3rd pairing LHD/RHD next year)

If the Caps go after a big name, this list obviously changes. But in my view, I think the Caps go after a defender similar to TVR - someone who can be steady until Carlson comes back.

You should also get reactions from my esteemed brethren @PuckLuck_77 and @tryger about our RhDs; sometimes my opinions vary from theirs.

Some framework of Walker for Alexeyev or Johanson is a good short-term idea for you guys. You're right that we don't need forwards, so Eller, Mantha and McMichael wouldn't be on our shopping list.

Your prospect pool is shallow -- you absolutely HAVE to keep your 2023 first.
All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
You should also get reactions from my esteemed brethren PuckLuck_77 and tryger about our RhDs; sometimes my opinions vary from theirs.

Some framework of Walker for Alexeyev or Johanson is a good short-term idea for you guys. You're right that we don't need forwards, so Eller, Mantha and McMichael wouldn't be on our shopping list.

Yes would love to get more views on Kings' RHD and their worth. I think the Caps only give up 2023 1st if it is in a package to get a young player (like Meier) who could come in and instantly produce at a high level. But even then - long shot.

Walker for Johanson (including either team adding a pick or something) would be an interesting. Wouldn't mind that at all.

Maybe a 2nd and Alexeyev for Durzi, as a core package (with WSH maybe adding something else - either a pick or a prospect) could work too.

But interesting - appreciate the feedback.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
You should also get reactions from my esteemed brethren PuckLuck_77 and tryger about our RhDs; sometimes my opinions vary from theirs.

Things are getting a bit interesting for the Kings, Blake has some difficult decisions to make and he needs to think long term. On the right side (in addition to Dougty and not including Walker who is the most likely to be moved from now to the off season), the Kings have 3 solid defensemen who are likely to be NHLers: Sean Durzi, Brandt Clarke, and Jordan Spence. Each of these players (including Doughty), are best deployed as offensive-defensemen. They definitely need a Matt Roy type player on the left-side and there might be a possibility of Matt Roy being moved, to obtain such a player.

Roy is your prototypical puck possession-oriented stay-at-home, safe-play defenseman. He was the most solid player defensively last season, and was relied upon for heavy minutes against top competition. This season we have seen some of that defensive value decline, which could be a result on a.) poor goaltending, b.) partnering him with Sean Durzi, and/or c.) issues with the new offensive-heavy system. He went from + 23 / 52.6 % CF / 53.9 % FF to -3 / 46.6% CF / 48.3, additionally, he has seen a decline in minutes (likely due to Doughty taking on more difficult minutes, which is why his stats taking such a hit is confusing). But what is clear is that his play is definitely benefiting Sean Durzi, both Matt Roy and Sean Durzi are near the top of the league in blocked shots, which makes me believe goal tending is why we are seeing such a down swing on numbers. Since the Kings are a bunch of analytics nerds, they need to figure out what is best for this team:

Option 1: Offensive Boost: Find a better defensive partner for Matt Roy, something like Chychrun-Roy would be phenomenal together. Durzi can switch back to RD and pair with a more sheltered defenseman like Bjornfot or Moverare after Edler leaves. But now the question is, what do you do with Brandt Clarke and Jordan Spence who are just wasted in the AHL.

Option 2: More Balanced Defence: Keep Matt Roy and Durzi (on his offside) together as your future third pair, and find the defensive defenseman partner for your future in Brandt Clarke. Let's say this is someone like Gavrikov. Gavrikov can pair with Sean Durzi, Matt Roy can pair with Walker/Edler and you eventually can move Clarke or Spence up this line up.

Option 3: Cap Space Move: You trade Matt Roy for a similar type of LD, so let's say the Kings trade Roy for Forsling (picks or whatever to offset), you now can have Forsling playing his natural position with someone like Sean Durzi, and eventually move up Clarke or Spence. You also cleared some cap room to start paying some of your young studs.

The point I'm making is the Kings are likely open to alot of moves, but it needs to be for a very specific piece, a top-4 LD asset.
OldNYIfan and All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: tryger
The point I'm making is the Kings are likely open to a lot of moves, but it needs to be for a very specific piece, a top-4 LD asset.

This isn't entirely responsive, but I've been idly thinking about a Martin Fehervary - Sean Durzi or Arber Xhekaj - Sean Durzi pairing.
tryger and McSorley liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
This isn't entirely responsive, but I've been idly thinking about a Martin Fehervary - Sean Durzi or Arber Xhekaj - Sean Durzi pairing.

Xhekaj is too little of a sample size, he's not ready for those type of minutes or covering for Sean Durzi defensively. Martin Fehervary also needs to develop his defensive game. I think Blake won't move unless its to improve on what we have.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Xhekaj is too little of a sample size, he's not ready for those type of minutes or covering for Sean Durzi defensively. Martin Fehervary also needs to develop his defensive game. I think Blake won't move unless its to improve on what we have.

True. But I'm going to keep my eyes on those two guys and see how they look after the season is over.

I had an exchange the other day with a Caps fan which presaged your exact concern.
tryger liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
True. But I'm going to keep my eyes on those two guys and see how they look after the season is over.

I had an exchange the other day with a Caps fan which presaged your exact concern.

I mean you are hitting on a big area of weakness for the Kings: physicality and size. Both these players would lead the Kings in hits, but looking at the Kings system and our goalie issues, blocked shots will be a key to picking our defensemen, it matches our system and issues at goal. I have a sinking feeling we are going to get Edmundson if his price keeps dropping. He becomes our future Edler and has experience with guys like Danault.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I mean you are hitting on a big area of weakness for the Kings: physicality and size. Both these players would lead the Kings in hits, but looking at the Kings system and our goalie issues, blocked shots will be a key to picking our defensemen, it matches our system and issues at goal. I have a sinking feeling we are going to get Edmundson if his price keeps dropping. He becomes our future Edler and has experience with guys like Danault.

What do you think about Caden Price? He's the only LhD in the top 30 North American skaters and top 10 European skaters in the preliminary ranking of 2023 draft prospects. He's rated far enough down that he should be on the board when the Kings pick.
tryger liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
What do you think about Caden Price? He's the only LhD in the top 30 North American skaters and top 10 European skaters in the preliminary ranking of 2023 draft prospects. He's rated far enough down that he should be on the board when the Kings pick.

I think the Kings could drop back for another second and grab him late. Love the pick if we get him, really good fit for Clarke, but he'll need time.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.

Unsure who the Caps fan was or what they said, but Fehervary is a very young, defensively sound player. He is great at blocking shots and especially great at being physical (in the slot area and along the boards). Pretty sure he was either #1 or #2 in hits by a rookie last year. He does get in trouble with over extending on his hits (meaning he sometimes get caught in "no-mans land" because he is being overly physical). That being said, he is still quite young, should have a bridge deal next season (looking at 3x$3ish), and is certainly a top-4 dman who can eat minutes and be physical.

Also, you have to remember that the beginning of this year (and last season), he was paired with Carlson, who is not the most defensively-sounded player lol. Since then, he has been paired with a rotation of players (due to injuries) and most recently, Matt Irwin, who is also not the most capable defender...
tryger and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Unsure who the Caps fan was or what they said, but Fehervary is a very young, defensively sound player. He is great at blocking shots and especially great at being physical (in the slot area and along the boards). Pretty sure he was either #1 or #2 in hits by a rookie last year. He does get in trouble with over extending on his hits (meaning he sometimes get caught in "no-mans land" because he is being overly physical). That being said, he is still quite young, should have a bridge deal next season (looking at 3x$3ish), and is certainly a top-4 dman who can eat minutes and be physical.

Also, you have to remember that the beginning of this year (and last season), he was paired with Carlson, who is not the most defensively-sounded player lol. Since then, he has been paired with a rotation of players (due to injuries) and most recently, Matt Irwin, who is also not the most capable defender...

The issue is he'd be likely buried behind Moverare and Bjornfot who would better fit that stay-at-home role. But nothing is in stone, a change needs to be made to our blue line and who knows what the cascade effects of that will be.
OldNYIfan and All_Knowing liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll