SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(VAN/NYI) - Horvat for Beauvillier, Räty, conditional 1st

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 14, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
The islanders have made infinitely worse trades then this *cough cough* Chara for Yashin

Chara AND Spezza for Yashin.
But that wasn't Lou (but Toews for two 2nds was him).

Lou has a 30-odd year track record of trading prospects and picks.
He may be too trigger happy with picks, but amazing how few prospects he has dealt, and regretted it later.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 6:09 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Chara AND Spezza for Yashin.
But that wasn't Lou (but Toews for two 2nds was him).

Lou has a 30-odd year track record of trading prospects and picks.
He may be too trigger happy with picks, but amazing how few prospects he has dealt, and regretted it later.

I know this is satire, but Lou is 80 YEARS OLD. Dudes probably not worrying about those picks and prospects because he'll be dead when they make the NHL.

Always thought it was wild when he was rebuilding the Leafs at 70+.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 10:40 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I know this is satire, but Lou is 80 YEARS OLD. Dudes probably not worrying about those picks and prospects because he'll be dead when they make the NHL.

Always thought it was wild when he was rebuilding the Leafs at 70+.

No the later comment isn't satire at all.

He has been very good at timing the trades of prospects. Very few that he gives away fulfill their expectations.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 10:45 a.m.
I make typos

He has been very good at timing the trades of prospects. Very few that he gives away fulfill their expectations.

what examples of this are there?
Feb. 15, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
stop daddy it hurts

devon toews
Feb. 15, 2023 at 10:57 a.m.
Quoting: Sharkie69
devon toews

Not really a prospect at time, but I did point that one out in my original comment.
Sharkie69 liked this.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: Sharkie69
devon toews

Lou knew what he had with Toews, but I don’t fault him for that trade. They were already deep on defense, to the point where if they kept him they likely wouldn’t have been able to protect him in the expansion draft. As I recall, at that time they also had a lot of key players on expiring contracts that they needed to sign, so somebody had to go.

Two 2nd-round picks generally isn’t a bad return for an arbitration-eligible unsigned RFA, and I think the expansion draft lowered his trade value because for most teams, acquiring him would have meant bumping their #3 defenseman off the protected list.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 8:52 a.m.
What a difference in only five weeks. Horvat has already regressed and is massively overpaid, too much for too long.
Anthony "cap dump" Beauvillier lighting it up on the first line.
Since the trade NYI has 12 wins while VAN has 11.
Horvat GP 20 G 5 A 4 Pts 9 PIM 6 -2
Beauvillier GP 21 G 7 A 9 Pts 16 PIM 8 -1
Canucks123, CSStrowbridge, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 24, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: PrisonBull
What a difference in only five weeks. Horvat has already regressed and is massively overpaid, too much for too long.

I was stunned Horvat is a -2 with the Islanders. What the hell happened? I'm still cheering for the Islanders to do really well in the playoffs, because the Canucks already traded that pick.
PrisonBull and RawDeal liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.

Beauvilier has been way better than I expected but I dont see how Canucks fans can be happy about going on another late season push that will only hurt them long term. This happens every year with them. I feel bad for Canucks fans. Give them hope then it leads nowhere.
Every. Single. Time.

They need to deal Demko after his resurgence not double down every year on average teams at best
Mar. 26, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
Quoting: Danny12357
Beauvillier is probably overall pretty neutral to slightly negative. He's basically getting paid twice what he should be, and it's apparent teams aren't willing to pay players of his calibre and age the money he is getting. Dylan Strome and Nino Neideritter both signed last summer for less money and limited term, and both have been significantly better players over the last few seasons than Beauvillier, so it's unlikely he is seen as an asset based on his cap hit. Vancouver can afford to just take him back, and can maybe flip him in his UFA season for an asset if they put him in a position that best utilizes his skills, but I don't think he was a requested trade piece so much as the player that made sense to make the money work.

Vancouver lucked out with his performance. he had no value on the market and Lou was trying to move him for over a year. They should also try to flip him, flip JT. Build around Petey-Kuz-Hughes-Hronek. They can gather enough assets to make a legitimate run in their primes within 5 years
Apr. 9, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
At this time, I'm calling the Bo Horvat trade a win for the Islanders

Beauvillier's stats are boosted to the moon playing with Peterson and Hughes, so I don't really care how good his stats are

Horvat's playing for one of the most defensive teams in the league and is still producing on a regular basis and is a natural leader in the room

Vancouver moved themselves out of the Bedard sweepstakes

Rate hasn't mounted to anything *yet*

Vancouver traded the 1rst for Hronek, not the best value considering what Bert received

Horvat roasted Vancouver (the 5th biggest Canadian market; Leafs then Habs then Oilers the Flames then Canucks then Sens then Jets)
Apr. 14, 2023 at 6:07 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98

Beauvillier's stats are boosted to the moon playing with Peterson and Hughes, so I don't really care how good his stats are

Horvat's playing for one of the most defensive teams in the league and is still producing on a regular basis and is a natural leader in the room

Vancouver traded the 1rst for Hronek, not the best value considering what Bert received

Horvat roasted Vancouver (the 5th biggest Canadian market; Leafs then Habs then Oilers the Flames then Canucks then Sens then Jets)

Literally wrong on every account. Beauvilier isn't playing on Pettersson's line. Horvat has been really good... at winning faceoffs. Horvat had boosted stats from playing with... Pettersson and Hughes. Canucks have the third largest Canadian market. Hronek is a solid top4 right handed defenseman entering his prime. Canucks have a 3% chance of winning the Bedard sweepstakes.
Pretty good troll job though.
Apr. 14, 2023 at 7:16 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Literally wrong on every account. Beauvilier isn't playing on Pettersson's line. Horvat has been really good... at winning faceoffs. Horvat had boosted stats from playing with... Pettersson and Hughes. Canucks have the third largest Canadian market. Hronek is a solid top4 right handed defenseman entering his prime. Canucks have a 3% chance of winning the Bedard sweepstakes.

- He was for at least the first 25/30 games on line 1

- Horvat is still producing at a 0.5ppg rate with the Islanders while being the only real offensive threat

- Canucks went from bottom 5 team to only 3.0% at Bedard

- Bertuzzi only received a 1st and 4rth , whereas Hronek got a 1st and 2nd, Bert was the 2nd best player on the RW

- Vancouver isn't the 3rd biggest market in Canada, Edmonton and Calgary are bigger than Vancouver
Apr. 14, 2023 at 7:45 a.m.

Lets see how Horvat performs in the playoffs. He carried the Nucks over St Louis in the bubble. He seems like the type of player that really flourishes with high stakes and tight checking. That comment about it being better on the Island. I think we see a very strong performance from Horvat vs the Canes. Carolina has a ton of pressure to win, cant score goals vs a stingy team. It has upset written all over it
Apr. 15, 2023 at 1:47 a.m.
- He was for at least the first 25/30 games on line 1

- Horvat is still producing at a 0.5ppg rate with the Islanders while being the only real offensive threat

- Canucks went from bottom 5 team to only 3.0% at Bedard

- Bertuzzi only received a 1st and 4rth , whereas Hronek got a 1st and 2nd, Bert was the 2nd best player on the RW

- Vancouver isn't the 3rd biggest market in Canada, Edmonton and Calgary are bigger than Vancouver

You are trolling for certain. No one celebrates a 0.5ppg. Hronek plays a completely different position and has different value. Take a geography lesson? tears of joy
Apr. 15, 2023 at 9:05 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You are trolling for certain. No one celebrates a 0.5ppg. Hronek plays a completely different position and has different value. Take a geography lesson? tears of joy

RW meant Red Wings tears of joy. On this Islanders team without Brazal and being the guy that the defence checks, it is very impressive...
Apr. 15, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
WentWughes
Lou secured another year of Job security with this trade. Pittsburgh's management and ownership wish they made a trade like this to get them into the playoffs. W for the Both teams 100%
Andy_Dick liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Lou secured another year of Job security with this trade. Pittsburgh's management and ownership wish they made a trade like this to get them into the playoffs. W for the Both teams 100%

I’d argue the Engvall trade is more of a reason why the isles made the playoffs than this one
KSIxSKULLS, PrisonBull, Andy_Dick and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 10:32 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Db1899
I’d argue the Engvall trade is more of a reason why the isles made the playoffs than this one

They all played a factor. The Islanders were out of the playoffs when they made these trades, and they ended up making it. W season for them regardless what happens.
Db1899 and Andy_Dick liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 10:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Lots of moving parts on Vancouver's part. Here's my thought. Vancouver did a good job getting a first and second from the Isles. Isles shouldn't have made the trade and even worse is the extension .
Then the Canucks made a mistake trading that first to the Wings for Hrovak .
PrisonBull liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 3:06 a.m.

•Horvat’s stats were boosted by playing with Pettersson/Hughes/Miller

•Horvat’s production has dropped significantly since the trade

•Canucks still have a chance at Bedard

•Hronek was better this season, has team control, and plays a more valuable position than Bertuzzi. He is without a doubt worth more than Bertuzzi

•Vancouver is easily a bigger market than Calgary and Edmonton
Apr. 16, 2023 at 10:59 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mv21227
•Horvat’s stats were boosted by playing with Pettersson/Hughes/Miller

•Horvat’s production has dropped significantly since the trade

•Canucks still have a chance at Bedard

•Hronek was better this season, has team control, and plays a more valuable position than Bertuzzi. He is without a doubt worth more than Bertuzzi

•Vancouver is easily a bigger market than Calgary and Edmonton

- Horvat wasn't playing with Pettersson/Hughes and covering Miller is a job in of itself

- Going from an offensive minded Canucks team to a Defense above all NYI team will drop your production

- Going from 15% to 3% is a very big drop-off

- Why not wait until the end of the season before trading for Hronek to make sure you have the best chance at Bedard as possible?

- Bertuzzi offers that grit value that teams value more and more and teams are willing to overpay for (Foligno, O'Rielly, Acciari, Simmonds, Bressard, Jeannot, Hagel etc.)

- Two fanbases who live and die by their respective teams are bigger than Vancouver
Andy_Dick liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
- Horvat wasn't playing with Pettersson/Hughes and covering Miller is a job in of itself

- Going from an offensive minded Canucks team to a Defense above all NYI team will drop your production

- Going from 15% to 3% is a very big drop-off

- Why not wait until the end of the season before trading for Hronek to make sure you have the best chance at Bedard as possible?

- Bertuzzi offers that grit value that teams value more and more and teams are willing to overpay for (Foligno, O'Rielly, Acciari, Simmonds, Bressard, Jeannot, Hagel etc.)

- Two fanbases who live and die by their respective teams are bigger than Vancouver

•Horvat played with Pettersson on the PP, and played with Hughes at 5v5 and on the PP

•I don’t think the Canucks were ever as high as 15%

•Hronek only played 4 games after the trade, so he didn’t affect our chances at Bedard that much

•Sure Bertuzzi offers grit, but team controlled top 4 RHDs will always have more value than a pending UFA 2nd line winger

•Saying Calgary and Edmonton are a bigger market than Vancouver is like saying Ottawa is a bigger market than Toronto. Just not true at all
PrisonBull liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mv21227
•Horvat played with Pettersson on the PP, and played with Hughes at 5v5 and on the PP

•I don’t think the Canucks were ever as high as 15%

•Hronek only played 4 games after the trade, so he didn’t affect our chances at Bedard that much

•Sure Bertuzzi offers grit, but team controlled top 4 RHDs will always have more value than a pending UFA 2nd line winger

•Saying Calgary and Edmonton are a bigger market than Vancouver is like saying Ottawa is a bigger market than Toronto. Just not true at all

- Fair for PP of Horvat and Pettersson but besides that, they didn't play with each other and Hughes played on D pair 1, not typically on with L2

- Bert at 2 mill (especially for teams needing that grit) should have gone for more than a RHD to a team who (at the time) was bottom 5 in the league (around a 15% chance at Bedard btw)

- Vancouver isn't as big as Edmonton or Calgary, comparing that to Toronto (the biggest franchise in the NHL) to Ottawa (a small market team) is absurd

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit