Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.
torontos finest

lmao
Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't understand it for the Isles, unless they plan to flip Horvat. I think the Canucks expected more...by maybe a 14th pick overall, and we're see if Raty becomes an NHL. Beauviller at 4.1m is OK value but nothing special.
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:39 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
I will definitely miss Bo in Vancouver. He was a great leader, player and overall an awesome person.
It's pretty heartwarming that Lou Lamorello gets his 2013 1st rounder back just under a decade later. (The pick the Canucks used to draft Horvat came from think Devils who Lou ran at the time I think)
I think Bo is a great fit wherever as he is a player that can be used in all situations and the Isles are no exception.
Think the return is pretty fair.
Only thing bugging me now is JT Miller's clear path to captaincy. Only other player who really has a shot is Schenn IMO due to his defensive expertise, but, I hear Tampa is in on him so will be sad to see him go as well,
Canucks123 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:40 p.m.
I like this trade for both teams. With the unprecedented numbers he’s putting up this season, I don’t think it would have been smart for Vancouver to extend Horvat at the price he’ll command, and this is a pretty good return for a rental. It’s more of a risk for New York, but they’re close to being a playoff team, and they have a recent history of going far when they can get in, yet they desperately need to improve their scoring. Horvat has 31 goals, 12 more than the Islanders’ leader.

Vancouver seems to be going nowhere, but they still have some good young talent to build around, so I don’t think they’re in “blow it up and start over” mode. I think it was important that they got back a roster player similar in age to their core group and a good prospect who might not be too far away, rather than just draft picks, though I’m sure they wanted a 1st-round pick too – ideally this year rather than a couple years out – and this pick is likely to be higher than what any of the other suitors could have offered. Beauvillier is a solid NHL player who seems to be at his best in the playoffs, and I haven’t seen Raty play much but I remember he was ranked much higher than where he ended up getting picked in the draft, so I’m guessing he has a better chance of making it than the average #52 pick. My only criticism is that I don’t think this helps address their biggest need which is team defence, which is also the Islanders’ strength so you’d think there could have been some potential to get help there.

For New York, it seems like a lot to give up for a rental, especially when they don’t appear to be a cup contender, but this trade makes them a better team now, and they probably won’t get too many more chances to win with this group, with most of their forwards being over 30. They may have been considering trying to sign Horvat as a UFA if he hits the market this summer, and in addition to giving them first crack at him, this move lets them test-drive him first to see how well he fits, making a long-term signing less of a risk. Some people have mentioned their shallow prospect pool, but that might be another reason to go for it now, as it means things aren’t likely to get better if they wait. I think they still have some cap space to make another move before the deadline.
Hurricanes_WPG and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:46 p.m.
More Finns More Wins
My initial reaction was that this trade is an easy Canucks win because I really like Raty, but this kinda reminds me of the Pageau deal (1st + Raty + Beauvillier ≈ 1st + 2nd + 3rd) , which has turned out well for both teams, with the Isles making back-to-back final 4 runs with Pageau as a key piece, and the Senators getting much needed draft capital including the pick that became Ridly Greig. I think this is actually a pretty fair deal, and I have to believe that there is an extension in the works.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 11:16 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Considering the cap is only expected to go up to 83.5M, dumping the Beauvillier contract adds a lot of value to this trade for the Islanders. It would have taken more than Raty to dump that in the summer.

I don't expect the Islanders to turn around and trade Horvat in a month, but in a worst case scenario where they do, they will get back a late 1st and their pick will be protected. It would be pretty shrewd to trade Raty and a 2024 1st to get back a late 2023 1st, and dump Beauvillier. Although, if this was the return for Horvat now, there is no guarantee he is worth a 1st+ a month from now. This is a pretty low return.

I assume they might sign Horvat to a pretty bad contract so while missing the playoffs would not be ideal, this might be more of a long term move.

This also shows you how depressed the trade market is right now. I was laughed at a while back for proposing ROR for a 2nd, but if Horvat in the season of his life is only getting a 13th-32nd overall pick and Raty WITH the Canucks taking a bad contract with term, I can't see players like ROR or Toews who have huge name value but have taken steps back offensively getting anything more than a 2nd. Although in ROR's case, his base salary is 1M, which should make it very cheap and easy to involve a third team for double retention since the real dollars will only be 250k prorated.
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 11:19 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: jr400
I like this trade for both teams. With the unprecedented numbers he’s putting up this season, I don’t think it would have been smart for Vancouver to extend Horvat at the price he’ll command, and this is a pretty good return for a rental. It’s more of a risk for New York, but they’re close to being a playoff team, and they have a recent history of going far when they can get in, yet they desperately need to improve their scoring. Horvat has 31 goals, 12 more than the Islanders’ leader.

Vancouver seems to be going nowhere, but they still have some good young talent to build around, so I don’t think they’re in “blow it up and start over” mode. I think it was important that they got back a roster player similar in age to their core group and a good prospect who might not be too far away, rather than just draft picks, though I’m sure they wanted a 1st-round pick too – ideally this year rather than a couple years out – and this pick is likely to be higher than what any of the other suitors could have offered. Beauvillier is a solid NHL player who seems to be at his best in the playoffs, and I haven’t seen Raty play much but I remember he was ranked much higher than where he ended up getting picked in the draft, so I’m guessing he has a better chance of making it than the average #52 pick. My only criticism is that I don’t think this helps address their biggest need which is team defence, which is also the Islanders’ strength so you’d think there could have been some potential to get help there.

For New York, it seems like a lot to give up for a rental, especially when they don’t appear to be a cup contender, but this trade makes them a better team now, and they probably won’t get too many more chances to win with this group, with most of their forwards being over 30. They may have been considering trying to sign Horvat as a UFA if he hits the market this summer, and in addition to giving them first crack at him, this move lets them test-drive him first to see how well he fits, making a long-term signing less of a risk. Some people have mentioned their shallow prospect pool, but that might be another reason to go for it now, as it means things aren’t likely to get better if they wait. I think they still have some cap space to make another move before the deadline.

Vancouver wins by virtue of avoiding the extension, and finding a trade early enough before things get really compressed at the trade deadline and some teams are left holding the bag.

We have heard all season how difficult it is to make trades. Vancouver had to take a bad contract with term, not an expiring bad contract. That was a huge consolation that most teams won't want to or won't be in a position to do when selling.

If this trade gets the Islanders into the playoffs, or if they flip Horvat a month from now and recoup the 1st (less likely they do that), this is a win. If they sign Horvat at 8M+ long term, I am skeptical about that working out well. If they recoup the 1st, let alone a 1st+, they paid a minimal cost to get out of the last year of the Beauvillier contract.
CD282 and PrisonBull liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 11:23 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Sparkyboi_GoCanes
Canucks get a guy with 2nd line ceiling or higher, a 1st round pick that could or not be something (if it ends up to be a 2023 pick it will be) and they get a solid middle six roster player with some term that they could flip. I know it's tough to trade a guy that's been in the organisation for almost a decade, but this was the right choice. I think it would've been an awful move if they extended him. I think Isles overpaid but they have an amazing center core, Barzal, Horvat, Nelson. A very steep price to pay for a rental but if they go far it's worth it, we'll wait and see. Canucks win.

They cannot flip Beauvillier unless they retain significant salary, which they won't do.

Beauvillier has negative value in the current cap climate. That's one of the biggest stories of this deal, that Vancouver had to take a bad contract with term to get a middle of the road trade deadline type return for one of the most attractive rentals this off season.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 11:36 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
Considering the cap is only expected to go up to 83.5M, dumping the Beauvillier contract adds a lot of value to this trade for the Islanders. It would have taken more than Raty to dump that in the summer.

I don't expect the Islanders to turn around and trade Horvat in a month, but in a worst case scenario where they do, they will get back a late 1st and their pick will be protected. It would be pretty shrewd to trade Raty and a 2024 1st to get back a late 2023 1st, and dump Beauvillier. Although, if this was the return for Horvat now, there is no guarantee he is worth a 1st+ a month from now. This is a pretty low return.

I assume they might sign Horvat to a pretty bad contract so while missing the playoffs would not be ideal, this might be more of a long term move.

This also shows you how depressed the trade market is right now. I was laughed at a while back for proposing ROR for a 2nd, but if Horvat in the season of his life is only getting a 13th-32nd overall pick and Raty WITH the Canucks taking a bad contract with term, I can't see players like ROR or Toews who have huge name value but have taken steps back offensively getting anything more than a 2nd. Although in ROR's case, his base salary is 1M, which should make it very cheap and easy to involve a third team for double retention since the real dollars will only be 250k prorated.

Beauvilier being a cap dump is something I've been saying for a year now. He had no value to a contending team when they were better options at lower price tags. He's decent for a team if they can rebuild him. It's a low cost risk for Vancouver to take a risk on Beau but they certainly could have gotten more at the TDL for Bo but they do risk holding the bag if they play their cards wrong or worst case scenario which is that Horvat gets injured before TDL.
This also makes the Canucks much worse rn in a tank battle which is all the rage atm.

Canucks might not be done here with Rutherford claiming major surgery is in the cards. Trading Horvat early probably clears the way for more pieces going out the door and soon!
Jan. 31, 2023 at 12:04 a.m.
It's always kind of funny to see people's reactions. Lots of people trying to rationalize why this is a W for NYI and an L for Van by saying the most outrageous things like "they could flip him for even more value!" or "I'm sure he's already agreed to an extension!" (he hasn't, the NHL article has a quote from Horvat saying there have been no contract talks).

Horvat wants a big pay day. Either NY overpays him or he hits free agency and someone else will overpay for him. This is a guy who doesn't care to win, he cares to get paid. Van wins by getting value for the future of their franchise for an asset that was walking soon anyway.
sensonfire and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 12:06 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Beauvilier being a cap dump is something I've been saying for a year now. He had no value to a contending team when they were better options at lower price tags. He's decent for a team if they can rebuild him. It's a low cost risk for Vancouver to take a risk on Beau but they certainly could have gotten more at the TDL for Bo but they do risk holding the bag if they play their cards wrong or worst case scenario which is that Horvat gets injured before TDL.
This also makes the Canucks much worse rn in a tank battle which is all the rage atm.

Canucks might not be done here with Rutherford claiming major surgery is in the cards. Trading Horvat early probably clears the way for more pieces going out the door and soon!

4M is a huge opportunity cost when it's going to be a buyer's market.

For example, the Coyotes were given two 2nd round picks to take on the contract of Patrik Nemeth (2.5M x 2 years).

Alternatively, they can sign a much more effective player, since there won't be many destinations. Or they can get a good player at a major discount asset wise (see Bjorkstrand).

So I don't think the Beauvillier aspect should be undersold. That's a huge part of this trade. The fact that Vancouver had to take that contract just to get a protected 1st and a B prospect for a center on pace for 50g/90p playing 20+ minutes a night says a lot about how the cap is constricting the trade deadline market. Vancouver's urgency to get this done also might say a lot about their perception of where the market might go.

So I would disagree about it being low risk. I think it would be better to characterize it as high cost. They paid a high cost to get a 1st+Raty for Horvat, in that they took on a really bad contract that is going to cost them the chance to get better players or additional assets this summer.
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 6:31 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
I really want to see if the Islanders sign Horvat to an extension, otherwise it's a massive loss.

It definitely gets them closer to the playoffs but that's a short term objective. They'd need to move salary to sign him.

He's got 4.5 weeks to sign the extension, otherwise Lou can trade him at the deadline with further retention and at least get similar assets back.

Pretty sure Lou has run through every possible scenario here. I think the odds of this being a massive loss for the NYI are slim.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 7:46 a.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Quoting: Neutral_Zone_Highlights
It's always kind of funny to see people's reactions. Lots of people trying to rationalize why this is a W for NYI and an L for Van by saying the most outrageous things like "they could flip him for even more value!" or "I'm sure he's already agreed to an extension!" (he hasn't, the NHL article has a quote from Horvat saying there have been no contract talks).

Horvat wants a big pay day. Either NY overpays him or he hits free agency and someone else will overpay for him. This is a guy who doesn't care to win, he cares to get paid. Van wins by getting value for the future of their franchise for an asset that was walking soon anyway.

Your thinking more of Miller.
Horvat has earned a mega contract(somewhere in the range of 8-8.5 mil IMO), Rutherford wouldn't pay him more than Miller. Horvat seems like a guy who would give back to whichever team pays him. He's a great defensive forward(top 10 Selke candidate IMO) that can put up goals. He's also a great leader and mentor. He wants to win and be paid to do so. That's fair in my mind.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:12 a.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
Screenshot_20230131-060314.png
sensonfire, Sharkie69, hugeballer and 6 others liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:15 a.m.
sensonfire
Edited Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: Klara
Screenshot_20230131-060314.png

LOL!!!!
Sharkie69, hugeballer, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
feelsbadman
all this to be a 90 point team XD
Sharkie69 and Hurricanes_WPG liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:09 a.m.
No regretzkys
Quoting: mondo
I'm in the camp of "wait and see what happens". I think it's a win for the Islanders if they make the playoffs and Horvat re-signs, but if they don't and he doesn't they're out their two best assets for nothing.

Looking at it a bit more, yeah I think the Canucks could've gotten a better return than this. It could be on them for wanting a roster player in a return instead of quality futures.

I agree with this and I even want to re-word my original statement which is that I think its a Van loss more than anything. I said NYI win, but its more like a lose lose. But yes. Wait and see.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:10 a.m.
No regretzkys
Quoting: drambui
how can you not say raty is a top prospect? he is probably more valuable than knies is.

ok then...
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: JackForHart
I think canucks win get a top prospect a first and a roster player

To be more accurate ... they got the following:

A mid prospect with 3rd line center upside.

A conditional 1st that is lottery protected.

An overpaid cap-dump with 2 years left.

Nothing to write home about TBH.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: MadLin27
ok then...

that was easy hehe
Jan. 31, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins

i like this thread, because it shows who knows nothing about other teams prospect and who does.
PrisonBull liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
45 for Norris.
New York solely because of pick protection and shedding cap.
Unless they don’t resign Horvat.
I don’t see it as a need for them though.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
Considering it's been reported that NYI have didnt reach out about a possible extension before going into the trade, tough L. What the heck was Lou thinking...
Jan. 31, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
1-0 them
Quoting: drewjenkins

ok but still at one point raty was projected first overall
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
to be banned soon
Edited Jan. 31, 2023 at 4:52 p.m.
regardless of how good the return was for horvat, the canucks still lose. they chose to lock up a locker room distraction for seven more years at the cost of the heart and soul of the team for a return that is not going to annul the mistakes management has done for the long-term unless they win a cup before the end of miller's contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit