Forums/Armchair-GM

Devin Shore up the Cup contender

Created by: MaxBorjshlapsky
Team: 2022-23 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 31, 2023
Published: Jan. 31, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
They're going to the Cup finals this year, but they need to "Devin" shore up the team front and back, puljujarvi imo is a joke...Skinner and Campbell will have to be good enough, Franky I think Skinner will lead in the post season Campbell can support him... Connor's first Cup? I think so.

Essentially I don't know if what I added is even better, but I think there's more sand paper in the additions. I'll take Anderson, Domi and chychrun to really help the Oilers but at the cost needed maybe is ridiculous.

I'd like to see McDavid win a Cup that's how I'm looking at this.
Trades
EDM
  1. Domi, Max ($1,500,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Holloway, Dylan
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Anderson, Josh ($1,250,000 retained)
MTL
  1. Foegele, Warren
  2. Yamamoto, Kailer
  3. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Bjugstad, Nick
  2. Chychrun, Jakob ($1,500,000 retained)
ARI
  1. Kulak, Brett
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,999,833$896,000$1,700,000$500,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$798,000$798,000
C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$450,000$450,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$3,100,000$3,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
Subbanator
Montreal doesn't retain anything on Anderson's contract for that return
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
Quoting: Subbanator7667

400k to each of the piece's? I don't see why not.. but ok
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Ouch

EDM says no lol
Ausbear17 and MaxBorjshlapsky liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Ouch
EDM passes on the first two trades, ARZ says no.
Ausbear17 and MaxBorjshlapsky liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
Overpay for Domi
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:25 p.m.

This is a massive overpay. Dude is 28 years old on pace for 28 points this year with 5 years left at a $5.5M cap hit whose best NHL years are definitely behind him. MTL fans are WAAAYYYY too high on him. MTL would be lucky to NOT have to pay to dump his contract. This is just me being honest and not trying to be mean or snotty. I'm sorry. Bad contracts suck. But it is what it is.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
Quoting: Garak
This is a massive overpay. Dude is 28 years old on pace for 28 points this year with 5 years left at a $5.5M cap hit whose best NHL years are definitely behind him. MTL fans are WAAAYYYY too high on him. MTL would be lucky to NOT have to pay to dump his contract. This is just me being honest and not trying to be mean or snotty. I'm sorry. Bad contracts suck. But it is what it is.

It's all good, I don't agree his best years are behind I got the receipt on your statement...let's see who's right, consider him in buntings spot or hymans spot, you don't think he can be as valuable as those guys? I do just based on his game but you have your view of him and I have mine so we'll see..
Garak liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
Quoting: ChiHawk
Overpay for Domi

From a Hawks fan? Lol alright then.. just too honest I see.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
Too much for first two trades for Oilers and then not even close for Chuyrchun
MaxBorjshlapsky liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: MaxBorjshlapsky
From a Hawks fan? Lol alright then.. just too honest I see.

Domi is worth a 2nd round pick, MAYBE a 1st if the market really heats up for him.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:43 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
At the end of the day looking closer at EDM lineup, I like the guys I brought in more but everyone I traded is pretty good so if they keep them plus the picks considering last year they could still get to the Cup and the best player in the world having his best year of his career, goaltending is very suspect maybe they'll just add Domi cheap or another tough player or 2 but Evander, hyman, nurse are pretty tough...Leafs vs Oilers in the cup final, I think I can see it now lol cheers.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:47 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
Quoting: ChiHawk
Domi is worth a 2nd round pick, MAYBE a 1st if the market really heats up for him.

Oh ok I see, well Horvat got a protected 1st plus a roster player and a prospect, Domi getting a first I think that's as likely as walking past an iceberg in the Australian outback but I like Domi a lot too I'd say a second and a player could be offered.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
It's all good, I don't agree his best years are behind I got the receipt on your statement...let's see who's right, consider him in buntings spot or hymans spot, you don't think he can be as valuable as those guys? I do just based on his game but you have your view of him and I have mine so we'll see..

Look... these guys are all the best in the world or else they wouldn't be in the NHL, and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can play better in the right situation. But it is too risky to give up so much for him, especially with that contract. I'm not sure how anyone can look at him, his stats, and his contract, and not have a bunch of red flags popping up. Maybe that's just me though.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
Bulklav Jr.Star 03
Look... these guys are all the best in the world or else they wouldn't be in the NHL, and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can play better in the right situation. But it is too risky to give up so much for him, especially with that contract. I'm not sure how anyone can look at him, his stats, and his contract, and not have a bunch of red flags popping up. Maybe that's just me though.

Garak I knew you would back out on your claim, I knew it!

Just kidding, yeah I got you and like I have been proven wrong for sure by an nhler that has skill, will, ability.

No like I'm saying I just see Anderson capable of being strong with a veteran team, just seems like that guy to me.

I don't think you're off on your assessment just looking for a challenge...man he could fall off the wagon, never know but can we get to the playoffs already well to march 3rd...enjoy the ASG if you're checking it out I've been barely entertained in the new age divisional scrimmage and everything but got to wait how many days to even see Horvat suit up for the isle...

Cheers tho.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
Garak I knew you would back out on your claim, I knew it!

Just kidding, yeah I got you and like I have been proven wrong for sure by an nhler that has skill, will, ability.

No like I'm saying I just see Anderson capable of being strong with a veteran team, just seems like that guy to me.

I don't think you're off on your assessment just looking for a challenge...man he could fall off the wagon, never know but can we get to the playoffs already well to march 3rd...enjoy the ASG if you're checking it out I've been barely entertained in the new age divisional scrimmage and everything but got to wait how many days to even see Horvat suit up for the isle...

Cheers tho.

lol. I'm not backing out. I am just giving the benefit of the doubt. But I still see red flags and a massive overpay, that contract is just really hard to get past. But stranger things have happened, and changes of scenery/chemistry can have huge impacts on play. I wouldn't quite say him and Dickinson are comparable, but I was ready for Dickinson to be absolute garbage after VAN dumped him to CHI, and he has turned out to be one of my favorite players in CHI this season.

Cheers
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Subbanator

MTL fans aren't even that high in him, we just go by what experts and insiders tell us and that's that NHL GMs value Anderson. Why? Who knows but speed and size are two attributes that's GMs tend to over value. They're also the only two attributes that JA has.

It's five more years of retention, which MTL isn't going to do. Id be happy to unload him for a 1st but it's been widely reported that Hughes already turned down that offer.

So we're left believing that it takes this package without retention for him, with that much retention you're likely adding.

Does it make sense? No

Have NHL GMs always over valued big players that skate fast in a straight line? Yes
Garak liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
MTL fans aren't even that high in him, we just go by what experts and insiders tell us and that's that NHL GMs value Anderson. Why? Who knows but speed and size are two attributes that's GMs tend to over value. They're also the only two attributes that JA has.

It's five more years of retention, which MTL isn't going to do. Id be happy to unload him for a 1st but it's been widely reported that Hughes already turned down that offer.

So we're left believing that it takes this package without retention for him, with that much retention you're likely adding.

Does it make sense? No

Have NHL GMs always over valued big players that skate fast in a straight line? Yes

Can you cite references? Because, I follow a lot of beat writers, scouts, and experts, with and without bias from all over the NHL, and none of them talk about guys like Anderson, Edmundson, or Dvorak being worth 1st round picks. In fact, I rarely see anyone that isn't from MTL talk about them at all. The most I usually see about them is that their contracts could complicate things for MTL in the near future. I think there might be an over saturation of beat writers in MTL that are creating an echo chamber that is giving different information than fans from most of the rest of the league are getting.

I mean, if Hughes wants to hold onto them that badly, fine. But I would think he'd be eager to create cap space if there was actually any interest. But Idk... Maybe I'm missing something. Also, I actually like them as players, it is mainly their contracts that create all the risk, IMO. I'm a pretty firm believer that most players, if they made it to the NHL, and if given the right opportunities, and if they find the right chemistry, can find success in the NHL. Risk is the name of the game, though.
Subbanator7667 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
Subbanator
Can you cite references? Because, I follow a lot of beat writers, scouts, and experts, with and without bias from all over the NHL, and none of them talk about guys like Anderson, Edmundson, or Dvorak being worth 1st round picks. In fact, I rarely see anyone that isn't from MTL talk about them at all. The most I usually see about them is that their contracts could complicate things for MTL in the near future. I think there might be an over saturation of beat writers in MTL that are creating an echo chamber that is giving different information than fans from most of the rest of the league are getting.

I mean, if Hughes wants to hold onto them that badly, fine. But I would think he'd be eager to create cap space if there was actually any interest. But Idk... Maybe I'm missing something. Also, I actually like them as players, it is mainly their contracts that create all the risk, IMO. I'm a pretty firm believer that most players, if they made it to the NHL, and if given the right opportunities, and if they find the right chemistry, can find success in the NHL. Risk is the name of the game, though.

Lebrun has linked Anderson to the Devils, Frank Serivalle ( I don't think that's how you spell his last name) has brought Anderson up in trade talks a couple times, Elliot Friedman has talked about it on his podcast in the summer and just a couple weeks ago. They've all basically said the same thing, confirming Hughes has turned down offers for a 1st but nothing beyond that.

Edmundson is just Habs fans thinking they can pull a Chariot like return again.

Dvorak I haven't heard anything about in a while, guessing it's because of his down turn the past 4 months and the cap not going up.

Personally don't think you see any of the three move this season, off season is far more likely, teams don't have much cap room right now, MTL included. MTL would be smarter to wait till then anyways, they'll have a bunch of cap space cleared this off season and all three retention spots open to maneuver.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 4:51 p.m.
Lebrun has linked Anderson to the Devils, Frank Serivalle ( I don't think that's how you spell his last name) has brought Anderson up in trade talks a couple times, Elliot Friedman has talked about it on his podcast in the summer and just a couple weeks ago. They've all basically said the same thing, confirming Hughes has turned down offers for a 1st but nothing beyond that.

Edmundson is just Habs fans thinking they can pull a Chariot like return again.

Dvorak I haven't heard anything about in a while, guessing it's because of his down turn the past 4 months and the cap not going up.

Personally don't think you see any of the three move this season, off season is far more likely, teams don't have much cap room right now, MTL included. MTL would be smarter to wait till then anyways, they'll have a bunch of cap space cleared this off season and all three retention spots open to maneuver.

Yeah. I mean, if they can get 2023 picks they should be wheeling in dealing, but otherwise they shouldn't be in any rush QUITE yet. Also, they might be able to squeak through the next handful of years of cap increases and turn out alright.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll