Is this trade enough? I checked and this should fit Floridas cap space
Trades
MIN
  1. Bennett, Sam
  2. Gudas, Radko
  3. 2024 5th round pick (PHI)
FLA
  1. Dumba, Matt ($3,000,000 retained)
  2. Greenway, Jordan ($1,500,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$80,481,921$0$682,500$2,018,079
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$825,000$825,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$4,425,000$4,425,000
C
UFA - 3
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,450,000$2,450,000
LD
UFA - 3
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
G
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
Ville Koho
Why would the Wild do the Panthers such a favor??????? Greenway + Dumba >>>>>>>>> Bennett + Midas
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
I personally have my reservations about Bennet, especially at his cap hit, but I think the logic is fine. However, retaining of Greenway or assuming any extra dead cap is an absolute no-go. They only have like 9 mil to sign like 5 guys currently and any retention would decrease that amount further.
MNHockey19 and DollaBillaz liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
I personally have my reservations about Bennet, especially at his cap hit, but I think the logic is fine. However, retaining of Greenway or assuming any extra dead cap is an absolute no-go. They only have like 9 mil to sign like 5 guys currently and any retention would decrease that amount further.

That makes sense. I think without retention on Greenway they could still make it work. Just the retention on Dumba should be enough, or if not they could find a third team
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Quoting: MNHockey19
That makes sense. I think without retention on Greenway they could still make it work. Just the retention on Dumba should be enough, or if not they could find a third team

I get why Bennet is enticing, but do you think he’s a Hartman or an Ek? I lean toward Hartman, but if you think he’s an Ek then this trade makes a lot more sense.
MNHockey19 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.

You're probably better off simplifying this. Keep Dumba as an own-rental and then figure out the value delta between Greenway and Bennett and paying FLA that way.

Don't think Dumba carries that much value to FLA, and especially not if it's largely contingent on them finding a 3rd team to be involved.
jnowariak and MNHockey19 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 10:30 a.m.
MNBassman
I get why Bennet is enticing, but do you think he’s a Hartman or an Ek? I lean toward Hartman, but if you think he’s an Ek then this trade makes a lot more sense.

This is a great question!

I see Bennett as a mixture of Ek and Hartman…like smack dab in the middle of the two.

Because of the current, but moreso the future strength of the Wild’s wings, I absolutely believe the can contend with Ek, Bennett, and Rossi manning the middle for a long time. It works perfectly with my 3 - 2nd lines theory.
jnowariak liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 10:43 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
This is a great question!

I see Bennett as a mixture of Ek and Hartman…like smack dab in the middle of the two.

Because of the current, but moreso the future strength of the Wild’s wings, I absolutely believe the can contend with Ek, Bennett, and Rossi manning the middle for a long time. It works perfectly with my 3 - 2nd lines theory.

I think you need a top line, then 2 seconds. But alas, I think my original question matters for next year because of the cap. Bringing on Bennet likely means you don’t re-sign Addison, so you need to think of the total surplus value.

The Athletic values Hartman at $4.4 ($1.7 actual), Ek at $8.6 ($5.3 actual), and Bennet at $5.5 ($4.4 actual). I don’t think there’s an edge in using that cap space on Bennet when you can get roughly the same on ice value for a third of the cap hit in Hartman. My point is that there’s more value in a guy like Walker coming up and playing like a $2 mil player than Bennet playing at his current level.

P.S. If Hartman gets his penalties under control, this won’t be an argument. And I’d take that bet.
MNHockey19 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
MNBassman
I think you need a top line, then 2 seconds. But alas, I think my original question matters for next year because of the cap. Bringing on Bennet likely means you don’t re-sign Addison, so you need to think of the total surplus value.

The Athletic values Hartman at $4.4 ($1.7 actual), Ek at $8.6 ($5.3 actual), and Bennet at $5.5 ($4.4 actual). I don’t think there’s an edge in using that cap space on Bennet when you can get roughly the same on ice value for a third of the cap hit in Hartman. My point is that there’s more value in a guy like Walker coming up and playing like a $2 mil player than Bennet playing at his current level.

P.S. If Hartman gets his penalties under control, this won’t be an argument. And I’d take that bet.

All things equal, I would take Bennett over Hartman 100 times out of 100 times, but because of their contracts, Hartman probably holds more value…especially to the Wild.

I’m not nearly as high on Walker as you are! I watched every game of his with the Gophers and I’m not sure he improved after his freshman season. Plus, he is already bald so I think his ceiling is right where he currently is…a fringe NHLer and nothing more. If he ever gets an extended stint with the Wild he will easily be exposed for what he is; a speed and effort only guy. His hands and head are definitely below NHL average!
jnowariak and MNHockey19 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 10:58 a.m.
All things equal, I would take Bennett over Hartman 100 times out of 100 times, but because of their contracts, Hartman probably holds more value…especially to the Wild.

I’m not nearly as high on Walker as you are! I watched every game of his with the Gophers and I’m not sure he improved after his freshman season. Plus, he is already bald so I think his ceiling is right where he currently is…a fringe NHLer and nothing more. If he ever gets an extended stint with the Wild he will easily be exposed for what he is; a speed and effort only guy. His hands and head are definitely below NHL average!

With all this being said, lets say the Wild see Bennett as a center that fits their term. Rossi, Bennett, and Ek as the top 3 centers going forward. Does this trade make sense then? If I take the retention off of Greenway, does it change anything at all? Gudas doesn't have to be there either, but I figured it would be cheaper to get him than Schenn right now.

jnowariak liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 10:59 a.m.

Yeah, not saying Walker will be more than that but a $2 mil player is well within reason, don’t need him to be a superstar.

But the cap situation is absolutely the limiting factor here. You can essentially fit Hartman and Addison into the same cap hit as Bennet and the question is whether those 2 players add more than Bennet solo. I think they produce A LOT more.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:04 a.m.
MNBassman
Yeah, not saying Walker will be more than that but a $2 mil player is well within reason, don’t need him to be a superstar.

But the cap situation is absolutely the limiting factor here. You can essentially fit Hartman and Addison into the same cap hit as Bennet and the question is whether those 2 players add more than Bennet solo. I think they produce A LOT more.

My dream (emphasis on dream) scenario is the Wild sign Jake Livingstone and Jackson LaCombe (if he doesn’t sign with the Ducks) this spring, get whatever they can for Dumba, and trade Addison in a package to move up in the draft (to target a center), or get an already drafted young center.
Upper_Body_Injury liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:04 a.m.
With all this being said, lets say the Wild see Bennett as a center that fits their term. Rossi, Bennett, and Ek as the top 3 centers going forward. Does this trade make sense then? If I take the retention off of Greenway, does it change anything at all? Gudas doesn't have to be there either, but I figured it would be cheaper to get him than Schenn right now.

I don’t really get why FLA would want to move him, aside from the short term cap implications. They will be fine next year.

I think if they want to get a different look, then Dumba at 50% and Greenway at his full cap it seems about right. But that all depends on whether the Wild think he’s a long term solution, which I do not.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.
My dream (emphasis on dream) scenario is the Wild sign Jake Livingstone and Jackson LaCombe (if he doesn’t sign with the Ducks) this spring, get whatever they can for Dumba, and trade Addison in a package to move up in the draft (to target a center), or get an already drafted young center.

I don’t think those guys fit at all. But that’s just me.

Moving Addison would be a mistake IMO unless they get a young top 9 C that plays on the team next year. I don’t see any fits around the league for that.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
MNBassman
I don’t think those guys fit at all. But that’s just me.

Moving Addison would be a mistake IMO unless they get a young top 9 C that plays on the team next year. I don’t see any fits around the league for that.

You don’t think Livingstone or LaCombe are good fits? LaCombe can easily replace Addison on the PP and Livingstone is a big, all-situations RHD…where’s the no fit???

Future Blueline…
RHDs: Spurgeon, Faber and Livingstone would be fantastic!
LHDs: Brodin, LaCombe and Lambos eould be equally great!

The Wild would be able to move/package Peart, O’Rourke, Hunt, etc for any and all other missing parts.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:19 a.m.
You don’t think Livingstone or LaCombe are good fits? LaCombe can easily replace Addison on the PP and Livingstone is a big, all-situations RHD…where’s the no fit???

Future Blueline…
RHDs: Spurgeon, Faber and Livingstone would be fantastic!
LHDs: Brodin, LaCombe and Lambos eould be equally great!

The Wild would be able to move/package Peart, O’Rourke, Hunt, etc for any and all other missing parts.

I don’t think either of those guys sees and NHL spot with the Wild next year. Livingstone (who I don’t see as anything more than a depth piece) would slot in behind Faber and Lambos in the depth chart and LaCombe is a copy of Addison/Peart. I don’t see the incentive for them to sign.

And if you’re skeptical of Addison, I don’t see how LaCombe is somehow a better fit. I’m a MN boy too and love it when we keep it in the family but that’s all this would be.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:07 p.m.
MNBassman
I don’t think either of those guys sees and NHL spot with the Wild next year. Livingstone (who I don’t see as anything more than a depth piece) would slot in behind Faber and Lambos in the depth chart and LaCombe is a copy of Addison/Peart. I don’t see the incentive for them to sign.

And if you’re skeptical of Addison, I don’t see how LaCombe is somehow a better fit. I’m a MN boy too and love it when we keep it in the family but that’s all this would be.

LaCombe would play next year on an entry level contract, plus he’s bigger, much more versatile, and a better defender than Addison…he’s even added physicality to his game this year. I would take him over Addison any day of the week!

Time will tell with Livingstone…but I see a big RHD who sees the ice well, moves the puck, plays well in all 3 zones and I do believe his game will transfer easily to the pro game. In fact, I would prefer him over Addison right now. I’ll admit it if it turns out I’m wrong, but I’m a fan!
jnowariak liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
LaCombe would play next year on an entry level contract, plus he’s bigger, much more versatile, and a better defender than Addison…he’s even added physicality to his game this year. I would take him over Addison any day of the week!

Time will tell with Livingstone…but I see a big RHD who sees the ice well, moves the puck, plays well in all 3 zones and I do believe his game will transfer easily to the pro game. In fact, I would prefer him over Addison right now. I’ll admit it if it turns out I’m wrong, but I’m a fan!

Nothing wrong with evaluating prospects differently. I’m not as high on either guy but higher on Addison than you are. We probably value different things and that’s A OK.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:56 p.m.
MNBassman
Nothing wrong with evaluating prospects differently. I’m not as high on either guy but higher on Addison than you are. We probably value different things and that’s A OK.

For sure!
jnowariak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll