Forums/Armchair-GM

Retool if we become Sellers

Created by: iAce
Team: 2022-23 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 26, 2023
Published: Jan. 31, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I want to explore the Wild being sellers and utilizing our cap space to gain assets for futures. My biggest concerns moving forward can be addressed this trade deadline. We need a winger to pair with Boldy, need to get value for Dumba and look at options longterm at center. Not saying we get a 1c but maybe get a few center prospects to give ourselves a chance at a deep center lineup.

If some of these types of moves happens I think the Wild can absorb other 1 year contracts back to help those team acquire other assets for playoff pushes.

Values may be off but looking for feedback from fans on values and how it can help their team make other trades.
Trades
MIN
  1. Knies, Matthew [Reserve List]
TOR
  1. Hartman, Ryan
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
A guy that can play all over the lineup. Pick to pry Knies out and keep him here in Minnesota.
MIN
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (BUF)
VGK
  1. Greenway, Jordan
Additional Details:
I think it's time for Greenway to move on. A new locker room might help him get back on track. Not sure if the play style here fits his style naturally. Greenway in a top 9 role with Vegas and could move up to 2nd line if there are injuries could help Vegas in the playoffs and with injuries.
MIN
  1. Östlund, Noah
  2. 2023 1st round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Dumba, Matt ($3,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
This return confuses me the most! Most experts are saying the Wild would get a return of a 1st, 4th and a prospect. I don't know if the teams are that high on Dumba. I think a 1st and center prospect is all BG would want. Buffalo has Savoie, Kulich and Ostlund as center prospects and Thompson and Cozens are young and your core so I think other center prospects would hold less value to the org.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$73,674,421$0$765,000$8,825,579
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$825,000$825,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$855,000$855,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,450,000$2,450,000
LD
UFA - 3
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:40 p.m.
Well buffalo obviously won't do that
Shibbal18, wojme, sabres89 and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:44 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Well buffalo obviously won't do that

What don't you like about it? Nothing you gave was constructive. Many rumors have Buffalo tied to Dumba, Edmundson and a huge splash in Chychrun. Dumba could be a very easy resign and play on the bottom 4 for your team for the next 6 years. Minnesota is loaded with defense prospects and in cap hell otherwise we wouldn't be trading him.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
I'm sorry that Dumba deal is horrendous
sabres89, BUFF36 and Buffalojonny liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
Shibbal18
Dumba isn't interesting. Buffalo can use those assets for a better return
wojme, sabres89, Finn2016 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
Quoting: iAce
What don't you like about it? Nothing you gave was constructive. Many rumors have Buffalo tied to Dumba, Edmundson and a huge splash in Chychrun. Dumba could be a very easy resign and play on the bottom 4 for your team for the next 6 years. Minnesota is loaded with defense prospects and in cap hell otherwise we wouldn't be trading him.

What rumors?

Buffalo isn't trading an unprotected 1st and a great prospect for an overrated expiring UFA
wojme, sabres89, BUFF36 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
So that's a pretty big overpayment for Dumba. A middle pairing defenseman on an expiring contract, you could possibly pry out a conditional 1st from someone. Definitely not a 1st and a very good prospect like Ostlund. Dumba just simply isn't worth that.

A bit of an overpayment for Knies, but honestly I'd make that deal to get Knies to the Wild. Hartman is a good player on a very cheap contract though, it'll be impossible to replace what he brings for that little money. So Guerin probably isn't interested in that one.

I think Greenway gets more than that. Still relatively young and has some traits that GM's would go bananas for (size and strength). Having a down year this year, but there would be enough GM's willing to take the chance on him, I think he'd get a 2nd or equivalent prospect/roster player, depending on how Guerin wanted to go.
wojme, sabres89, iAce and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:54 p.m.
For meier- sure. For chychrun- maybe. For dumba- not even close. Just because a team has a bunch of good prospects doesn't mean they will just throw them away on stuff.
BUFF36, Shibbal18 and Buffalojonny liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:55 p.m.
Dumba falling badly in his contract year.He’s now a 3 million dollar 3rd pairing at best. Sad but very PK
Buffalojonny liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:56 p.m.

That it’s absolutely terrible for Buffalo probably. I mean, you certainly wouldn’t do Lambos and a 2nd for Girgensons just because you have many D prospects would you? Didn’t think so. But that’s on par with Dumba’s on ice value. He’s been pretty brutal this year
iAce, BUFF36 and Buffalojonny liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
So that's a pretty big overpayment for Dumba. A middle pairing defenseman on an expiring contract, you could possibly pry out a conditional 1st from someone. Definitely not a 1st and a very good prospect like Ostlund. Dumba just simply isn't worth that.

A bit of an overpayment for Knies, but honestly I'd make that deal to get Knies to the Wild. Hartman is a good player on a very cheap contract though, it'll be impossible to replace what he brings for that little money. So Guerin probably isn't interested in that one.

I think Greenway gets more than that. Still relatively young and has some traits that GM's would go bananas for (size and strength). Having a down year this year, but there would be enough GM's willing to take the chance on him, I think he'd get a 2nd or equivalent prospect/roster player, depending on how Guerin wanted to go.

I'd assume the Dumba trade comes with an extension. I think teams trading for him would want to negotiate an extension before making the trade. The lowest mock trade I read was the Toews trade from the Islanders to the Avs where they sent two 2nds rounders to the Islanders. The highest comp trade I saw was the Ristolainen trade that send a 1st, 2nd and Robert Hagg. I don't think Dumba gets this even with an extension. Ben Chiarot fetched a 1st, 4th and Tyler Smilanic. I also don't think he gets this haul either. I think a first rounder that sits 20th position or higher and a prospect for a guy that can be a rental or sign long term on a 4 million cap hit isn't a bad thing.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.

On the Hartman trade, I see Duhaime, Greenway, Foligno and Hartman as the same fit on the roster. I think trading for Knies gives us an option next to Boldy next year. That can become your second line and take more minutes from the GREEF line. I see that as a win-win trade for both clubs. I know Toronto doesn't want to trade him but Hartman on his cap hit and play all over the roster would be a huge add for them over the next 2 years.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:08 p.m.
Leafs pass, Hartman doesn't get you Knies
KingExLeafs liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:08 p.m.
I'd assume the Dumba trade comes with an extension. I think teams trading for him would want to negotiate an extension before making the trade. The lowest mock trade I read was the Toews trade from the Islanders to the Avs where they sent two 2nds rounders to the Islanders. The highest comp trade I saw was the Ristolainen trade that send a 1st, 2nd and Robert Hagg. I don't think Dumba gets this even with an extension. Ben Chiarot fetched a 1st, 4th and Tyler Smilanic. I also don't think he gets this haul either. I think a first rounder that sits 20th position or higher and a prospect for a guy that can be a rental or sign long term on a 4 million cap hit isn't a bad thing.

1st and a prospect isn't out of line, as long as that prospect isn't someone like Noah Ostlund. That would be like trading a 1st and Ohgren for him, really. And that's just too much. I would say like a Josh Bloom, maybe Alexander Kisakov, and then a lottery protected 1st would be what you're looking at if a team really liked Dumba.
iAce liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:14 p.m.
Quoting: Lsendel3
That it’s absolutely terrible for Buffalo probably. I mean, you certainly wouldn’t do Lambos and a 2nd for Girgensons just because you have many D prospects would you? Didn’t think so. But that’s on par with Dumba’s on ice value. He’s been pretty brutal this year

Depends on the situation the team is in. I never say no to a trade and look at it more in depth. I think Lambos could be good, but he's still young and hasn't proven anything yet and a 2nd doesn't do anything for me right now. So I look at the Dumba trade as this, the guy has been on the trade block for 5 years now. His contract is up and is very unlikely to be resigned. The trade deadline is coming and he knows he is gone, I think he plays much better when he is traded. Imagine being in a situation where you are talked about being fired every day no matter what you do for that company. I'm not saying he will be a 50 point scorer again but he certain is capable of playing Top 4 minutes in this league. On a Cup team hes a stud bottom pairing guy and plays in all situations.

Savoie, Kulich and Ostlund haven't proven anything yet at a pro level. I'm not saying people shouldn't be excited about them or protect them but they still haven't done anything at the AHL/NHL level. Of those 3 Ostlund is seen as the lesser of the three. I picked him because of that and a 1st that will be 20th - 25th in this years draft. Sorry if the value is off a bit but honestly Buffalo's window has been pushed up because the team has come together so well. You guys are a scary looking roster. I'm glad you guys have bounced back so well, because that Eichel situation was no fun for anyone and you deserve a good team. Hope to see you do well in the playoffs and will probably be the team I root for if the Wild don't make it.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:15 p.m.
1st and a prospect isn't out of line, as long as that prospect isn't someone like Noah Ostlund. That would be like trading a 1st and Ohgren for him, really. And that's just too much. I would say like a Josh Bloom, maybe Alexander Kisakov, and then a lottery protected 1st would be what you're looking at if a team really liked Dumba.

Buffalo won't be anywhere near the lottery this year so sure add that in because it doesn't worry me this year if I was Buffalo. They are playing so damn well they are going to the playoffs
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:21 p.m.
Depends on the situation the team is in. I never say no to a trade and look at it more in depth. I think Lambos could be good, but he's still young and hasn't proven anything yet and a 2nd doesn't do anything for me right now. So I look at the Dumba trade as this, the guy has been on the trade block for 5 years now. His contract is up and is very unlikely to be resigned. The trade deadline is coming and he knows he is gone, I think he plays much better when he is traded. Imagine being in a situation where you are talked about being fired every day no matter what you do for that company. I'm not saying he will be a 50 point scorer again but he certain is capable of playing Top 4 minutes in this league. On a Cup team hes a stud bottom pairing guy and plays in all situations.

Savoie, Kulich and Ostlund haven't proven anything yet at a pro level. I'm not saying people shouldn't be excited about them or protect them but they still haven't done anything at the AHL/NHL level. Of those 3 Ostlund is seen as the lesser of the three. I picked him because of that and a 1st that will be 20th - 25th in this years draft. Sorry if the value is off a bit but honestly Buffalo's window has been pushed up because the team has come together so well. You guys are a scary looking roster. I'm glad you guys have bounced back so well, because that Eichel situation was no fun for anyone and you deserve a good team. Hope to see you do well in the playoffs and will probably be the team I root for if the Wild don't make it.

Buffalo’s window has been pushed up. That doesn’t mean they should trade for a severely declining to the point of being bad hockey players just because. That’s significantly more than over a PPG center in Horvat just went for. I get it, you’re not a prospect guy. But if the “max” you’ve seen for Dumba is a Risto return, this is already more than that.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:31 p.m.
Quoting: Lsendel3
Buffalo’s window has been pushed up. That doesn’t mean they should trade for a severely declining to the point of being bad hockey players just because. That’s significantly more than over a PPG center in Horvat just went for. I get it, you’re not a prospect guy. But if the “max” you’ve seen for Dumba is a Risto return, this is already more than that.

The 1st will be lower in the draft, Raty is a better prospect than Ostlund and AB is just under a half point per game player. The Canucks got much more than this and they should have for Horvat. What do you suggest the trade be. I can give you links to experts that do this for a living and are smarter than you and I combine when it comes to hockey that says that Buffalo is interested in Dumba. So make a proposal to me and see where it goes. I think Caerii was closest on their trade proposal which is a proected 1st and a prospect like Bloom or Kisakov. I don't like those prospects because they don't fill a need we have in any way but we get a 1st and a body.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:39 p.m.
Dubas highly values Knies. He won't be moved unless the Leafs receive a young top six player or a star in his prime. Hartman is neither.
T0R liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:41 p.m.
The 1st will be lower in the draft, Raty is a better prospect than Ostlund and AB is just under a half point per game player. The Canucks got much more than this and they should have for Horvat. What do you suggest the trade be. I can give you links to experts that do this for a living and are smarter than you and I combine when it comes to hockey that says that Buffalo is interested in Dumba. So make a proposal to me and see where it goes. I think Caerii was closest on their trade proposal which is a proected 1st and a prospect like Bloom or Kisakov. I don't like those prospects because they don't fill a need we have in any way but we get a 1st and a body.

This is how I know you don’t know much about prospects. Ostland taken at 16 vs Raty taken in the second round after being projected to go first overall for many years leading to the draft. Raty did very little in professional leagues in Europe. Is barely a half ppg player (nothing to sneeze at, but not great either). AB is a bottom six guy with limited offense. Also there’s no way of thinking Buffalo first will be in the 20s. It could be, could also be as low as 12? All for a bad player in Dumba. It was a bad proposal, it’s ok to just move on instead of doubling down on it.
sabres89 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:47 p.m.
Shibbal18

Dumba with an extension may be worth less
sabres89 and Buffalojonny liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:53 p.m.

Leafs decline
Jan. 31, 2023 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: T0R
Leafs decline

Makes sense to
Jan. 31, 2023 at 11:27 p.m.
Osiecki death stare
Look at all the **** comments in here about Dumba being a crap player. So stupid.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:12 a.m.
I would honestly rather have McCabe from Chicago, and he wouldn't cost anywhere near that much.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:42 a.m.
Quoting: Buffalojonny
I would honestly rather have McCabe from Chicago, and he wouldn't cost anywhere near that much.

McCabe is the PERFECT target for us imo
1- he knows Buffalo already & likes it here
2- he’d stabilize the 3rd pair & is good enough to move up the lineup if Power or Samuelsson were to get injured
3- like u said, won’t cost a ton to get- maybe a 2nd

Adams should definitely look into this imo
Good post

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll