SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Post WJC Draft Rankings (with explanations)

Post WJC Draft Rankings (with explanations)

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:42 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Connor Bedard
After the WJC, if I were to split this draft up into tiers, I would put Bedard in a tier of his own. When you compare Fantilli and Bedard’s performances during the WJC, it is safe to say who’s the safer pick at 1st. It’s clearly Bedard, who has talent that no other player in the draft has. Bedard is mostly known for his ridiculous point production and all-star shot, which he can score from anywhere. His 200-ft game is also the best in the draft, as he’s able to blow past defenders in the o-zone and score nasty goals, a prime example being the OT game winner against Slovakia. He also has NHL-caliber maturity in his game and his playmaking is just about as good as his shot. Defensively, the upside he has is slightly worse but still relatively good. In his own end, he’s able to break up passes that are made by the opposition. Overall, Bedard is a game breaker on a nightly basis and I see him being about as good as Connor McDavid someday. I would say that Bedard is clearly NHL-ready as of now, he has generational talent written all over him.
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
Adam Fantilli
I would at this point 2nd overall this year is a coin flip between Fantilli and Carlsson. Even though Fantilli didn’t have a great WJC (apart from the Canada vs USA game), I would still give him the slight edge. His defensive game is what brings him above Carlsson as Fantilli is better defensively than Carlsson. I see Fantilli as a two-way guy and Carlsson as an offensive power forward. Fantilli has NHL-worthy size and the physical aspects of his game are outstanding. He has elite hockey IQ and his overall hockey sense is amazing. He also lives up to the fact that he’s a natural center, Fantilli is excels at winning faceoffs, making him a first-options for any special team, whether it’s the power play or penalty kill. Fantilli has a boomer of a shot, the shot variety has taken a big step forward as this was a flaw that Fantilli had last season during his time in the USHL. The chances of Fantilli getting drafted first overall is a long shot, but if he has a resurgent second half of his NCAA season, there would be a high chance of him getting drafted first overall. However, there is already a high chance of Fantilli being a mainstay in the NHL next season, his size, smarts, and defensive skillset could earn him a spot. I see Fantilli as a franchise-altering forward, just like Bedard, someday.
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Leo Carlsson
If ranking 2nd was hard enough between two players, then ranking 3rd is easy. I see the 3rd overall pick being as easy as a selection than the first selection where you select Bedard. Carlsson is the clear third choice, his performance this season has been top 3 worthy. Putting up half a PPG against men at just 18 years old is ridiculous to think about. Like said in the Fantilli explanation, I define Leo Carlsson as an offensive power forward. Carlsson’s finishing ability is outstanding and he has a lethal shot on him. He does have an above average defensive game, but I think that Fantilli’s is more consistent. However, Carlsson is more versatile than Fantilli. Carlsson plays mostly on the wing, but has had some games where he’s played the center position, and that should grab GM’s attention. The size and stamina that Carlsson brings to the ice is NHL-worthy. Overall, I see generational talent all over Carlsson, just like others in my top 3. Like Bedard and Fantilli, Carlsson has a good shot of becoming a mainstay in the NHL. His size and smarts would give him a chance to make the NHL next year.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Matvei Michkov
This is where the draft really starts to become a crapshoot. Anything can happen at this point on. Michkov is clearly the best player, but I guarantee anything that he won’t be taken at this spot, nor even the top 10 by a small margin. Just too many risks involved in this player. The Russian factor combined with the fact that his KHL contract doesn’t even expire until the end of the 2025-26 season will definitely scare many teams away. I would say Michkov will be taken by a Stanley Cup contender or a team that won’t be competing for the playoffs within 5 years. Despite the flaws and risks that Michkov has, he still possesses undeniable talent. Apart from his slow skating, he’s able to think one step ahead of the opposition and use a variety of shots. Michkov is molded in as an elite goal-scorer and possesses many qualities similar of Bedard. I would say Michkov’s passing has gotten more silkier and fluid this year. At times he does go for the flashy play, but most of the time Michkov takes the smart route by just keeping the play simple. Another flaw that I see with Michkov is the size. Yes, size hasn’t mattered within the past few drafts, but being 5’10’’ and only 148 lbs isn’t good enough for an NHL winger. However, I do think it will improve as Michkov gets more experience against men. Overall, I would say this is the perfect example of a high-risk, high-reward draft selection here. Michkov is clearly the best player available at this point, but I guarantee anything he will be the draft’s biggest faller.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
Dalibor Dvorsky
This spot is a coin flip between Dvorsky and Will Smith. Both players are somewhat similar, but the prime reason I give Dvorsky the edge is simply because he’s more complete all-around than Smith. Dvorsky is the most complete player in the draft outside the top 3, if he rebounds from his subpar WJC performance, I could very well see him passing Michkov on my draft board. As for Smith, I would say his defensive game is inconsistent. He was also cut from the WJC, putting his rank one below Dvorsky. Enough rambling here, Dvorsky would be my pick for No. 5. He’s a complete two-way forward with heavy size (6’1”, 201 lbs). Like said, Dvorsky is very defensive-minded and not only uses his stick to defend, but also can use his body to his advantage. He’s a very good first-pick for any power play as Dvorsky excels in that area. Passing is very solid, in fact Dvorsky possesses the best saucer pass in the draft. He can sauce passes flawlessly whether he’s forehand or backhand with his stick. However, Dvorsky does need to improve his agility and explosiveness on his feet while having puck possession. However, not so much without the puck as there’s glimpses of him skating fluidly without the puck. Overall, a high value pick at 5th, I see him as a reliable top liner in the NHL sooner rather than later. His defensive game and smarts could earn him a nine-game trial in the NHL next year. I would compare Dvorsky’s play style to an Evgeni Malkin.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks
Will Smith
Smith is the clear choice here if 5th overall was a hard pick between him and Dvorsky. Like said before, both players are similar, but Smith is below Dvorsky because his defensive game has a lot of questions to be answered. However, Smith’s skating ability is better and offensive toolkit is also better. In fact, Smith’s overall offensive upside is incredibly promising, crafty would be the way to describe Smith’s game. Smith plays with a crafty touch and makes all the harder passes in the game look very simple. Smith has nice maturity in his game and plays with such high hockey IQ. He plays such a high tempo game and can keep up with the pace while being a natural center. Smith has an excellent wrist shot and backhander. He can even pull it off flawlessly while his feet are moving. However, same could not be said for the other shot types, limiting his shot variety. While his snap shot and slap shot are accurate, it is not powerful by any teams. Overall, this is a player who has been dominant all season long. Having now played at least ten games after his recent transition to the USHL, Smith should continue to increase his draft stock and become a mainstay in the top 5. He’s not far off, however I do see him becoming first line material at the NHL level. He’s a Boston College commit, and his overall play style should continue to get better from here. If he wasn’t a commit, then he would get a nine-game NHL trial at the very maximum.
7Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Andrew Cristall
Apart from the likes of my top 3, I would say that Cristall is the most poised player in the draft. He seems to excel in every on-ice situation that he’s part of, and has therefore skyrocketed up my draft board. Recency basis may give him a chance to be drafted in the top 5, but personally I don’t think it will happen. If anything Cristall has an outside chance of being drafted in that particular range. Cristall plays a playmaker’s style, his ability to pass the puck around and create opportunities for his teammates is relentless. He also has a tendency to bait the opposition towards him, creating so many passing options for him by hanging onto the puck for a long period of time. Cristall is also very slippery and/or fluid with his feet, one of the fastest skaters in the draft. His defense has also become more consistent game-by-game as his effort off the puck has drastically taken a large step forward in development. Cristall’s only quality that sets him back is the size, but his fast skating should make up for that. Also to note is that he excels at being a leader, he is real easy to coach. If I were to compare Cristall to an NHL player, I would say he’s similar to Nikolaj Ehlers. Both are really fast and have similar playmaking skills, along with an insane 200-ft game. Overall, I see Cristall as a top line winger at the NHL level, he’s projected to become a 60+ assist forward. Not ready to become a mainstay in the NHL, but his speed alone could very well earn him a nine-game NHL trial.
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Eduard Sale
This is a player who is always willing to impact the game in many ways, whether his team is winning or losing by large margins. Sale has put up strong production rates in every league or tournament he’s been part of. His best was last season where he scored 99 points in 44 games in the U20 Czechia league. By a mile Sale is the best Czechia player in the draft, his skating is just really fluid. His ability to transition from defense to offense is outstanding, and the vision Sale possesses his insanely good. His crafty style makes him a valuable option for the power play as he can execute perfect passes through sticks, which is required for the power play especially. Sale also has great puck handling skills and he can change the pace of the game depending on how well he carries the puck. Also during the best moments of the game Sale as a knack of going for the flashiest plays possible. Overall, yet again, another player that isn’t ready for full-time NHL duties. As much as I love Sale’s willingness to impact the game on a daily basis, I just think the defense isn’t good enough to excel at the NHL level. A year in the AHL or Czechia league could benefit him well. But once he gets promoted into the NHL, I see him becoming a high-end top liner.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Zach Benson
This first round is filled with playmakers, as Benson is one himself. This is a high value pick at 9th overall, I could see Benson being picked at the 5th to 15th range. There is a chance he falls out of the top 10 because of his weak frame (5’10’’, 159), meaning that he’s a couple years away from NHL action. Outside from that, there’s absolutely no flaws in Benson’s game. Playing on a deep team in the Winnipeg Ice, Benson has quick acceleration, can handle the puck at certain speeds, making the pace of the game different. During offensive zone entries, Benson is often able to think one step ahead of the opposition and generate scoring opportunities for his teammates. Benson is yet another playmaker, we have three playmakers in the top 10 so far. However, he isn’t afraid to just shot the puck as well, making him a solid finisher up front. Benson also has solid defensive instincts, he excels at stick checking and being aggressive in his own zone. Overall, Benson has solid hockey IQ and always is willing to change the game in multiple ways. He may be a few years away from NHL entry, but once he does, he will be a mainstay on the top line. His playmaking and smarts is already NHL-ready, but Benson needs to bulk up in order to continue his creative touch against the highest competition.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Brayden Yager
Yager is one of the more intriguing prospects in this draft. Most scouts think of him as a sniper, but I disagree with that. Yager is able to excel in all situations of the game, making him a high quality two-way forward. A lot of people have him inside the top 5, but I also disagree with that. While the point production is still good, its just not as great compared to the players ranked above him. However, Yager is one of the smartest players in the draft. He also has a lightning of a shot and is able to handle the puck in the dirty areas. While his team is trying to pressure the opposition in the o-zone, Yager tends to find the open area and create a passing lane to himself. His vision and hockey IQ is impressive as well, but his defensive game is what really brings his ceiling to a high level. Like Benson, Yager also has lethal stick checking and aggressiveness, however Yager’s is more consistent. Overall, I see Yager as a high-end top liner in the NHL. Only setback for him is that he’s too skinny to become an NHL center. Also his agility needs some work, as he’s more of a straight-line player.
11Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the San Jose Sharks
Axel Sandin Pelikka
Sandin-Pelikka has established himself as the best defender in the draft with his recent play, currently he’s putting up nearly half a PPG against men. And this is as an SHL rookie. He’s also the most agile skater outside the top 3, just possesses excellent 4-way mobility with and without the puck. Sandin-Pelikka is very effective on both areas of the ice, his skating makes him excel in all situations of the game. He’s also a really good puck mover, making for a very valuable option for any team’s power play. Sandin-Pelikka is able to speed up his decisions precisely, just the overall hockey IQ is wonderful. My only concern with Sandin-Pelikka is the frame only being at 5’11”. But I feel like its nothing major, as it should improve while playing against men. The potential for Sandin-Pelikka is insanely high, I would compare him to a righty Josh Morrissey. The mobility that Sandin-Pelikka has is very similar to Morrissey’s and the decision making speed is just as fast as Morrissey. I see Sandin-Pelikka becoming a mid-quality top pairing defender.
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Mikhail Gulyayev
Gulyayev is a prospect who I often compare to a lefty Cale Makar. The offensive capabilities that Gulyayev has is amazing. Very skilled. He is very noticeable on the ice as he’s the fastest defender in the draft by a mile. He may be a project pick, but the potential Gulyayev has is tremendous. If not for the Russian factor, Gulyayev would be a top 5 pick, that’s how good he is. Gulyayev’s ability to command plays mostly inside the o-zone is exceptional as well as his 200-ft game. In fact, his 200-ft game makes up for his small frame. His offensive leadership make him a first pick for any team’s power play. As for the defensive upside Gulyayev has, its not getting much attention as it should. He may not be as noticeable defensively than he is offensively, but Gulyayev often makes the correct play during defensive situations. His stick is always active in the d-zone and he’s able to intercept pucks, allowing him to lead the play. The only flaw I see with Gulyayev is that the physicality is non-existent. At 12th, this is a high value player. While ignoring the Russian factor, Gulyayev could very well become a legit mid-level top defender at the NHL level. His ceiling is about on par with Sandin-Pelikka’s, but the whole Russian factor is the reason why Gulyayev is below Sandin-Pelikka.
13Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Islanders
Matt Wood
I’m not sold on Wood as much as others. A lot of lists I’ve seen have him inside the top 10, but I disagree with that. His defensive upside isn’t worthy of a top 10 selection, but he makes up for it with the upside he has offensively. Wood is a force when it comes to offensive, and his play style is very intriguing as well. A lot of scouts define Wood as a pure goal-scorer but I personally disagree with that. I would say Wood is more of a power forward than sniper, mostly because he loves to go inside the dirty areas, blow by defenders and give himself high-danger chances. Not a lot of snipers do that, I believe snipers usually find the open area and shoot the puck from there. Going back to the lackluster defense that Wood has, its that he’s overaggressive against the opposing puck carrier, leaving multiple passing options. But like said before, Wood is a literal threat offensively. He has a boomer of a shot, elite forechecking ability, and excellent speed in his game. He’s the first player I in fact see with multiple flaws as I’m not a fan of his agility with the puck. He’s more of a fast, straight-line player. However, without the puck, the skating is absolutely fluid. Another high value pick at 13th overall, Wood can be a mid-level top liner sooner rather than later. Though he’s a couple of years away ideally, the skating with the puck along with the defensive aspects of the game needs work.
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Gabe Perreault
I’m actually high on Perreault more than multiple lists. A lot of scouts have him going after 20th overall to even the second round because of his size, but teams should have learnt their lesson after Jordan Dumais. If Dumais wasn’t as small as he is right now, he would be a top 15 pick in the draft. With Perreault, it’s the same situation. Perreault has slightly more muscle, but the height is small. While I see a situation where he could fall, Perreault is still a top 15 pick in my eyes. He’s also very intriguing as he has the best NHL bloodlines in the draft. His older brother (Jacob Perreault) is a prospect for the Anaheim Ducks and his dad (Yanic Perreault) was a former NHLer. However, even with the NHL bloodlines, Perreault plays a slightly different style than his brother and father. Gabe Perreault plays the game with awesome offensive awareness as he makes finding his teammates very easy during offensive situations. While his brother plays more of a sniper’s style, Gabe plays with a playmaker’s edge. The skating is also very good, but the thing that really sets him back is the defensive aspects of the game. The defense is almost non-exsistent. Though I wouldn’t compare Perreault to Jordan Dumais by any means, I still see Perreault becoming an effective top liner, about in the mid-tier category. About one to two years timeline should be correct.
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Colby Barlow
Like Wood and Perreault, Barlow is yet another intriguing prospect. The Canadian-born winger started off the season playing the role of a two-way forward. As the season went on, Barlow became more of a goal-scorer. And while the defensive upside is just above average, the potential that Barlow has offensively is pure gold. His shot is ideally NHL-ready at this point and he also has a pro frame (6’1”, 185 lbs). Barlow shouldn’t need much time to adapt to the pace of the NHL ice as he plays with such speed. He’s not the fastest skater in the draft, but not far from it (the fastest would ideally be Gulyayev). Barlow is also a very effective forechecker as his 200-ft game helps him excel in that situation. While Barlow isn’t a physical presence on the ice, the biggest concern with him as the consistency during defensive situations. While he does excel greatly on the penalty kill, in other situations, the defense is not there. Barlow is a slow decision maker, giving the puck carrier a free o-zone entry. But apart from those flaws, Barlow should be an effective low-end top liner sooner rather than later. He’s not far away from being an NHL regular, one or two years worth of development would be beneficial.
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Ryan Leonard
This is ideally the most trending prospect on everyone’s (including mine) lists. Leonard has been really good as of late. I almost put him ahead of Wood, but I need one more month of dominant play out of him before I can put him even higher. Because in my last draft board, Leonard was ridiculously low at 25th. In a matter of a fact, this spot is ideally just another coin flip between him and Oliver Moore, the second-most trending player on my list. The only reason why I have Leonard ahead is because of the fact that I haven’t scouted Moore as much. In Leonard’s case, he’s a go-to goal-scorer. He plays with so much energy, any GM would love the type of energy and stamina Leonard brings. The biggest concern that I have with Leonard and a quarter of the reason why I have him lower than others is because he sometimes is unable to keep his emotions in check. A minor flaw that Leonard has is that he’s not the most physical player out there, but that’s normal for most goal-scorers. Overall, I see a lot of upside in all areas of the game, at most while some scouts project him as a high-end third liner, in all honesty he will be a low-end top liner at the NHL level. If he did have third line potential at most, Leonard wouldn’t be a first round pick.
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-
Oliver Moore
Like I said in the Leonard explanation, it was a coin flip between him and Moore. This is another easy choice here, Moore is clearly the guy to be ranked at this spot. He plays a multidimensional offensive game, while his shooting is outstanding, the playmaking ability is even better. Speaking of shot, there is incredible variety with it, as he also has the rare find of an incredible one-timer. Not only prospects has the lethal one-timers that Moore has. He’s also an incredibly fast straight-line player, not so much agility in his game, but whenever he needs to blow by defenders he isn’t afraid to be agile. While being able to create scoring opportunities for his teammates in all zones, Moore also tends to just find the open area and take a smart shot. Like his NTDP U18 teammates, Moore has as much potential as they do. At most Moore will become a low-end top liner, he will just continue to get better during his two years of developing at the NCAA. Yes I said two years, he won’t be out until after the 2024-25 season.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
Nate Danielson
This is a high value pick at 18th as Danielson is the best defensive forward in the draft. He’s basically like Anton Lundell in his draft year, not so dynamic offensively (the offensive is still above average), but very valuable defensively. Being one of the oldest players in the draft (he’s a couple weeks away from being 2022 draft eligible), Danielson is also known for being a leader on and off the ice. He also has NHL-ready size and penalty killing, it won’t be long until he gets NHL minutes. Danielson is also a menace in the middle lane of the ice, he can skate fluidly in that area especially. But he can also skate in all zones of the ice. He’s also able to adapt to the pace of the game and would communicate effectively with his teammates. The main concern that I have with Danielson is the selfishness in his game. If he uses his shot more, then he would be ranked much higher, maybe in the 7th-10th range. But he definitely has the skill and ability to improve the finishing ability, because whenever Danielson does shoot, he’s got a bomber. Overall, I see Danielson becoming your typical high-end top 6 center. And he’s a natural center, so really there’s zero positional versatility in his game.
19Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
Riley Heidt
This is one of the more dynamic players in the draft. The playmaking that Heidt has is elite and he is also a fluid skater. Heidt’s neutral zone play is also the best in the draft as he is able to create opportunities for him and his teammates in that area. He’s also able to adapt to the pace of the game very quickly, so it won’t be long before he makes the NHL. The skating ability, like said before, is very dynamic. His lateral movement on his feet can cause defenders to draw attention to the puck and skate towards it, leaving many passing options for Heidt. He’s also a menace in the neutral zone and the middle lane of the ice, at times Heidt needs very little space to blow by defenders and gain o-zone entry. While the offensive upside for Heidt is promising, the defensive upside definitely isn’t. He’s very inconsistent in the defensive aspects of the game and not a physical guy in all situations of the game. But whenever the defense is there, Heidt normally goes for the smart play. As for his shot, its very accurate but not as powerful as you would want it to be. Heidt’s craftiness could land him a spot in the top 15 portion of the draft but overall I see high-end top 6 potential once he reaches the NHL level.
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Charlie Stramel
This is the most underwhelming player in the first round by far. Stramel hasn’t been good in terms of production this season, but the thing is, most teams should have learnt their lesson after Raty and Lambert. Also I think Stramel will be taken way ahead of this spot because of his size and attract some GMs. I think his frame (6’3”, 216 lbs) is the best in the draft, having the fact that Stramel is a complete power forward. He has great physicality in his game as well as he’s a smart forechecker. Stramel uses his size effectively in the dirty areas and he’s got a booming shot. But the lack of point production isn’t the only concern I have with Stramel. He does lack explosiveness in his game as well as he needs to develop upon speeding his decisions. At this point, Stramel will become just a high-end top 6 forward. He’s also very versatile in terms of position, not only can Stramel play center, but he also plays as a right winger, which is what a lot of scouts project him to become at the NHL level.
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Koehn Ziemmer
This is a literal offensive threat to others. Ziemmer, the teammate and linemate of Riley Heidt, has amazing offensive upside. While Heidt is a pass-first forward, Ziemmer is a shoot-first forward. But he still has superb playmaking skills and can draw defenders close to him, just like Heidt can. Ziemmer can easily nail a shot from anywhere, but he doesn’t shoot from the blue line at all. Most of his goals are scored from the slot. Ziemmer is also able to give scoring opportunities to his teammates and even give them easy o-zone entries. He’s also very good at commanding counter-attacks and breakouts. But while Ziemmer has all the talent offensively, does he have as much talent defensively? That would be a no. Ziemmer is very inconsistent defensively, which is why I have Heidt over him in my board. Also whenever Ziemmer doesn’t play alongside Heidt, he doesn’t look like a first-rounder at all, which is why I have him in the 20-30 area. For the NHL Prospects Game, both players were on opposite teams, and Ziemmer just went from the smart play rather than showing signs of promise. If he plays better without Heidt, at best Ziemmer becomes a top 6 winger at the NHL level.
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
David Reinbacher
This is the newest player on my draft board. This was by a mile, Austria’s best player during the WJC. Reinbacher scored 2 assists in 5 games, which doesn’t look elite, but he was playing on a winless, low scoring Austria team (4th most points on the team). This is just after he put up half a PPG in the top Swiss league (NL). He’s still putting up similar results to this day, we could very well see Reinbacher in top 10, but I do see a scenario where a GM will take him that high because of recency bias. There’s very little flaws in Reinbacher’s game, the only one I can think of is that he isn’t active on his feet in the d-zone while the puck is being cycled on the boards. Most of the time, you will see Reinbacher puck watching rather than moving his feet and defending. Also, his physicality is inconsistent, some nights its there but there are games where the body isn’t used as much. Overall, I view Reinbacher as a heavy 2-way defender. His offensive smarts are off the charts, while he does keep his offense simple rather than flashy, he has a booming shot and improved passing on him. A very reliable power play option as he’s able to make stretch passes, a thing which not a lot of prospects can achieve. His defensive smarts are very good (except during board cycles by the opposition), Reinbacher possesses decent gap control to kill rush plays by the opposition and during 1 on 1 situations. Like said before, the physicality is inconsistent on a nightly basis, but whenever he uses his body, he will hurt the opposition’s chance to score. Like said before, Reinbacher is a very good player and if he continues to play the way he is currently, he could very well crack the top 10 within a few months and increase his ceiling. But currently his ceiling is that he will become a top 4 defender on any NHL team.
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Lukas Dragicevic
There won’t be many defenders drafted in the first round this year. And Dragicevic could be one of them. He has a lot of offensive upside, but his defensive upside is the complete opposite. Its not really worth the first round pick, he could fall to the second round because of his defensive upside. But his offense is top 10 worthy so between those two ranges, you have the 23rd spot. Dragicevic is the definition of an offensive defenseman. He already has NHL ready size (6’2”, 181 lbs) and poise. The puck movement that Dragicevic has is incredible and the skating is really dynamic. The playmaking is also very good as he’s also not shy of passing the puck in the dirty areas of the ice rather than the open area. But like said before, Dragicevic’s defensive upside is really bad and would be the reason why he could fall out of the first round. I overreacted on him last draft board having him at 13th because of his dominant production. But I didn’t realize that the upside defensively wasn’t great at all, that’s why I have him way down. But even if the defensive upside doesn’t improve, Dragicevic will become an excellent top 4 defender.
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Calum Ritchie
This is another underwhelming player, but not as much as Stramel. Ritchie had an excellent Hlinka Gretzky Cup, leading the tournament with 10 points. But after that, the production hasn’t been as good as I wanted it to be, as I expected Ritchie to dominate for Oshawa. While he is still a PPG, its not by much. At the time of this write-up, Ritchie has 44 points in 43 games. But still, there’s so much to love about Ritchie. He’s basically the complete package, Ritchie mostly plays the role of a two-way forward. For offense, Ritchie has jaw-dropping playmaking, he doesn’t need much space to pass the puck to his teammates. He’s a very good option for the penalty kill and empty net situations as without the puck, Ritchie can defend well. His frame is also very good, in all situations of the game Ritchie can use his body very effectively. However, his acceleration isn’t great at all as most of his strides from a standstill are very short. He’s also very selfish with the puck, his finishing ability needs improvement. But if the point production gets slightly better, Ritchie can become a reliable top 6 forward. His primary position is center, but there have been games where Ritchie has played as a winger. Scouts project him as a center however.
25Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Kasper Halttunen
This kid is in a similar situation as Stramel. Yes, Halttunen is a rookie in the top Finnish league, but having only one assist in 24 games isn’t good enough for a first rounder, giving me a lot of Lambert vibes. But to slightly make up for it, the numbers that Halttunen has put up in the U20 Finnish league have been phenomenal. However, the size is pretty close to Stramel’s, I could see NHL GMs gaining attraction to him because of his size alone. Halttunen’s CHL rights are owned by the London Knights, so maybe spending a year there could benefit his development well enough to make him become the top line player that he was once projected to be. I would say Halttunen is a power forward who can easily outmuscle the opposition. He plays a menacing physical style. Like said before, Halttunen has an excellent frame that is NHL ready at this point. His net front presence is outstanding and the plays Halttunen makes near the end boards are also very good. Also has a heavy shot and above average playmaking. A minor thing that is worrisome is the decision making, as he sometimes makes questionable choices without the puck. Halttunen is a very good prospect, but hasn’t yet brought out superstar play. But he has the ability to do so, within a few years I could see Halttunen playing a top 6 winger role.
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary Flames
Ethan Gauthier
Gauthier is another intriguing prospect. He started off the year playing as a full-time goal scorer. But his defensive upside has really developed throughout the past few months, and now Gauthier is becoming more of a two-way forward. As of now, he’s exceling in all areas of the game. While he’s not flashy and/or dynamic as other players in the draft, Gauthier always plays smart and makes a big variety of plays. He also has decent NHL bloodlines, as he’s the son of Denis Gauthier, a former 10-year NHLer. Also the cousin of AHLer Julian Gauthier. His point production has been underwhelming throughout the past month, but the least when you compare Stramel, Halttunen, and Ritchie. Gauthier started off the year with a strong Hlinka Gretzky Cup performance and heavy point production in October and November. But I see Gauthier as a hard-working, skilled two-way winger. He’s a menace in the middle lane of the ice and he’s terrifying to play against at the net front. But at the very most, if the point production can become consistent, Gauthier should become a very good top 6 winger.
27Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sam Honzek
This is a player who I haven’t scouted as much, but by a long mile he’s the second-best Slovak player in the draft, the only player being ahead of him is of course Dvorsky. But Honzek is actually playing in the CHL right now, and by the way he’s been playing, he’s already fully adapted to the CHL rinks. Honzek is very talented offensively, the potential for him in that area is there. He has a boomer of a shot that can be scored from anywhere in the o-zone. His playmaking is also excellent, making for a valuable option on the power play. Honzek can make passes thru seams and even stretch passes. But while the offensive upside is there, the effort away from the puck is clearly not there. That’s the main reason why he’s lower than most on my board, Honzek puts himself in head-scratching positions whenever the opposition has puck possession. But despite that flaw, Honzek can be a very good top 6 center in the NHL.
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida Panthers
Quentin Musty
This is a player that was once viewed as a top 5 prospect in the draft. While Musty has played good, other players have played better than him, putting them higher up on my board. Musty is known for being a high-scoring power forward. He’s impactful during offensive situations, as he’s excellent as speeding up his decisions, one step ahead of the opposition at times, and improved speed. During the breakout, Musty is also very good and he already has NHL-ready size (6’2”, 205 lbs) and shot. He reminds me of Cutter Gauthier of last year’s draft as while he’s very good in terms of offense, the defensive side of game isn’t great. Musty is in a similar situation, his decision making during defensive situations aren’t great. While he’s able to make a decision in a hurry, its never a good choice. At times he’s seen in a questionable position without the puck and it will take him to get back into the correct position. Musty also needs to get better at keeping his emotions in check, he takes too many dumb infractions with the body and stick. Also to note, Musty lacked explosiveness on his feet, but that has improved throughout the course of the season. If the defense improves itself, Musty can become a legit top 6 threat to other NHL players.
29Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
Cam Allen
This is a player that a lot of people have already given up on. But I haven’t yet as he’s been playing on a crappy Guelph Storm team. It’s hard to gain points if the entire team isn’t scoring. I still have Allen in the first round, but much lower than usual. His 19 points in 39 OHL games aren’t first round worthy, but its actually good enough for 11th most points on Guelph. Also, add onto the fact that he’s been overshadowed by the plays of Zhilkin (now traded), Buchinger and Pastujov. But I’ll stop rambling, I classify Allen as a two-way defender. He loves to shoot the puck as he has the second most shots in the OHL (Ty Nelson is only ahead of him). Allen is also really good at pinching the o-zone, going up close to the net. He also has great mobility on his feet and very sturdy despite his small frame. Allen is very short for a defender at 5’11” but makes up for it by being 190 lbs. His defensive upside is slightly better than his offensive upside, Allen wins a lot of board battles, plays with such great gap control, and doesn’t shy away from being physical. If Allen’s point production was much stronger than it is now, he would be a top 10 pick for sure as I see very little holes in his game. If I were to have something to be concerned about, it would be the decision making with the puck inside the neutral zone. But if Allen reaches his full potential, he can become a steal and be a top 4 defender in the NHL within a few years.
30Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York Rangers
Theo Lindstein
Like Musty, Lindstein was once viewed as a top 5 prospect. Now that a lot of players have risen up their stock(s), Lindstein finds himself near the end of the first round. Combine that with mid-quality point production. This is a very weak draft for defenseman, but this is the highest where I see Lindstein being drafted. Enough rambling, I see Lindstein as a defensive two-way defender. His shot from the blue line is really accurate and powerful and the hockey IQ is there, making him a very solid option for the power play. However, he’s more of a pass-first defender rather than shoot-first. Lindstein’s skating ablity is also there, he’s one of the fastest defenseman in the draft along with one of the most agile as well. While he hasn’t shown signs of flash offensively, Lindstein is very flashy defensively as he plays with such great gap control and aggressiveness. This player I would compare to a Simon Edvinsson, where the defensive smarts are really good, but the offensive upside is questionable. If Lindstein reaches the full potential he’s projected to have, I see top 4 material out of him.
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
Otto Stenberg
This guy is the most competitive Swedish-born player in the draft. Captained Sweden during the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, in the tournament he was second in points overall with 9 (5G, 4A). Although the stats show more goal-scoring, Stenberg is mostly known for his dynamic playmaking ability. While the shot is elite and booming, Stenberg’s passing is much better. While not as dynamic as my top 3, Stenberg goes for the smart pass, often he lacks the ability to do a highlight-reel play. In all 3 zones, Stenberg showcases solid aggressiveness, mostly during board battles. Also, during time inside the o-zone, he is very agile and is always involved in the play, making him a very effective power play option. However, the main reason he’s outside my top 20 is mostly because of the skating. While Stenberg is agile with and without the puck, he isn’t explosive and is often slow, making him non-effective during the forecheck. Also to note without the puck, his 3-zone positioning is inconsistent as sometimes he stays flat-footed in questionable areas of the ice. At time it leaves the opposition with several passing options. But overall, this is a high value player here, and Stenberg has solid upside. At most he can become a high-end top 6 center and/or winger in the NHL.
32Logo of the Edmonton OilersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Hunter Brzustewicz
Just a solid two-way defender who is effective in all three zones, Brzustewicz always makes the smart plays defensively. In the o-zone, he’s dangerous around the blue line and can carry the puck very smooth around the zone. Reason why I have Brzustewicz so low in the draft is because he’s been sent down to lower competition in the OHL with Kitchener. The main reason being is because of injury troubles Brzustewicz faced throughout last season. There is a good chance he falls as I see this as another Kemell situation. Also, he doesn’t really shoot the puck as often as I would like him to. But none of the less, this is a high-upside player and the amount of upside Brzustewicz has is proving that this is a very deep draft. I still see a lot of potential in this kid, could be a high-end top 4 defender in the NHL.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
power forward
NHLfan10506, BruinsFan35 and TZ11 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
power forward
DongLord23 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2023 at 8:44 p.m.
power forward
Feb. 1, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
Habs4Ever
You did a good job overall, I will give you that
But if you watched Ethan Gauthier live, he is the opposite of a hard-working guy
The guy is a passenger on this ice and have good skills to finish plays, but that's it
I would compare him to a mix of Mike Hoffman and Jonathan Drouin. Not a top playmaker but neither a shooter, just a soft player with skills

The Gulyayev description... I can here Grant McCagg all over it lol

Good job overall, I don't think Michkov falls outside the top 5

Cristall & Yager way too high IMO I think the two American Moore & Leonard are going out before Yager & Cristall

Again, we are only in February and so many things can change. Great work tho
Sharkie69 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:22 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
You did a good job overall, I will give you that
But if you watched Ethan Gauthier live, he is the opposite of a hard-working guy
The guy is a passenger on this ice and have good skills to finish plays, but that's it
I would compare him to a mix of Mike Hoffman and Jonathan Drouin. Not a top playmaker but neither a shooter, just a soft player with skills

The Gulyayev description... I can here Grant McCagg all over it lol

Good job overall, I don't think Michkov falls outside the top 5

Cristall & Yager way too high IMO I think the two American Moore & Leonard are going out before Yager & Cristall

Again, we are only in February and so many things can change. Great work tho

Thank you.

I haven't watched Gauthier live, but the info I have on him is based off individual highlights, however I do plan on watching him more.

As for Yager and Cristall, I totally see them falling because of the size for totally different reasons. If I were to make a mock, Moore and Leonard would be ahead of both of them.

Cristall's size and injury trouble could cause him to fall. Yager's strength and poor agility could also make him fall. But for Yager, we saw what happened with Slafkovsky, so anything could happen with him. I could even see Yager being drafted inside the top 5 because of his two-way style alone.
TheRealisticGuy liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:25 a.m.
power forward
Sharkie69 and SJSGM liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:33 a.m.
Edited Feb. 2, 2023 at 12:15 a.m.
Love all the attention and detail in putting these together.

When looking at comparing Fantilli and Carlsson as the #2 choice, I think Fantilli is the clear winner simply due to his skating is better. Fantilli will be a franchise type player as you mentioned, whereas I believe Carlsson will be a top of the lineup/bubble All-Star player in any given year. Bedard of course being generational.

As far as a bunch of the foward players you have late in the first round, you mention top 6 players. While I think that is certainly potential upside for most of these if they truly all hit their ceilings, the reality is majority will be middle 6 or bottom 6 players IF they make the NHL. Talent is there, but the transition is crap shoot of course.
TheRealisticGuy and Sharkie69 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: christianyog
ChiHawk Sharkie69 SJSGM

Thanks for the mention! Great list! The only main thing that I disagree with is that I think wood goes up a spot or two.
TheRealisticGuy and Z0ra liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
go Sharks go
thanks for the mention! look forward to when you post these. a few questions.
many have Dvorsky lower because of his offensive upside? Do you really believe offensively he can be good enough for the top line?
Many lists I've seen have Benson as the clear #5, why is he so much lower for you?
Everything I've seen before says Gulyayev is terrible defensively, but you say he's not. Do you think he'll really be fine defensively in the NHL?
Sharkie69 and Z0ra liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: SJSGM
many have Dvorsky lower because of his offensive upside? Do you really believe offensively he can be good enough for the top line?
Many lists I've seen have Benson as the clear #5, why is he so much lower for you?
Everything I've seen before says Gulyayev is terrible defensively, but you say he's not. Do you think he'll really be fine defensively in the NHL?

i would not be surprised at all if dvorsky ends up falling outside the top 10 this year.
SJSGM, Sharkie69 and Z0ra liked this.
Feb. 2, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
Thanks for the ping!

I could definitely see Stramel falling out of the first round. To me, his play doesn’t seem like it will transfer to the NHL level at all. It may not even be a question of if Stramel will be a top six forward anymore, it’s seeming to become a question if he can become more than a fringe NHLer.

I have Benson and Yager in my top six, but where they are isn’t far off.

These rankings are fantastic, and thanks again for the ping!
Z0ra liked this.
Feb. 2, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: SJSGM

I don't think offensively Dvorsky will be a top line guy. He's more of a second line guy offensively. Defensively, he's a first line guy for sure.

The size alone is what puts Benson lower. But like I said in the explanation, he could go as high as 5th.

Gulyayev is very good defensively. He doesn't show as much because in the MHL, players aren't really defensive or physical. Whether he's fine defensively in the NHL is a question mark. I would compare Gulyayev to a lefty Cale Makar with less upside.
SJSGM liked this.
Feb. 2, 2023 at 6:01 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: capsleafs447
Thanks for the ping!

I could definitely see Stramel falling out of the first round. To me, his play doesn’t seem like it will transfer to the NHL level at all. It may not even be a question of if Stramel will be a top six forward anymore, it’s seeming to become a question if he can become more than a fringe NHLer.

I have Benson and Yager in my top six, but where they are isn’t far off.

These rankings are fantastic, and thanks again for the ping!

I have left Stramel in the first round because teams should have learnt their lessons after Raty and Lambert. But I do agree with you about him playing as a fringe NHLer, if the lackluster play keeps up, I would put him out of the first round. But his size alone could attract GMs.
Feb. 2, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: drambui
i would not be surprised at all if dvorsky ends up falling outside the top 10 this year.

The only way Dvorsky falls is if GMs look too closely at his offensive and ignore the defense. But its a low chance.
Feb. 2, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: Sharkie69
Thanks for the mention! Great list! The only main thing that I disagree with is that I think wood goes up a spot or two.

I can totally see Wood getting drafted in the 8th-15th range. I almost put him at 11th, he was one of the hardest to rank.

After 5th, this draft is a crapshoot. Anything could happen.
Sharkie69 liked this.
Feb. 8, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Quoting: christianyog
I have left Stramel in the first round because teams should have learnt their lessons after Raty and Lambert. But I do agree with you about him playing as a fringe NHLer, if the lackluster play keeps up, I would put him out of the first round. But his size alone could attract GMs.

I’m a little confused about what you mean with Lambert, as he’s taken another step back this season.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: capsleafs447
I’m a little confused about what you mean with Lambert, as he’s taken another step back this season.

Lambert had a really good preseason and AHL run. WJC was horrible and his WHL run is above average.

So I don't think he's taken a step back this season, but I could see a lot of people saying the same thing that you stated.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll