Forums/Armchair-GM

Detroit Pawn Buy Sell Trade

Created by: IDKtbh
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 1, 2023
Published: Feb. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am prepared to be surprised by Yzerman as the deadline rolls around. How, you might ask; I do not know.

With the plethora of pending unrestricted free agents and an overall underwhelming talent level on the roster, there is no shortage of potential moves to be made.

Moving players such as Maatta, Sundqvist or Bertuzzi would not be a surprise however, trading someone like Dylan Larkin or Filip Hronek surely would. So would trading for an impact player at the deadline. With that being said, here’s a little bit of everything.

Note: I would prefer to trade Dylan Larkin but since we hang onto him here, he becomes tied for the highest paid Red Wing at $9.15m for 8 years.

Jake Walman also extends for 3 years for $10m.
Trades
DET
  1. Zadorov, Nikita
  2. 2023 1st round pick (CGY)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (CGY)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Another year of Zadorov’s salary is a tough pill to swallow but, the value is there.
CGY
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,375,000 retained)
  2. Määttä, Olli
Additional Details:
One trade to seemingly address all of Calgary’s concerns/needs.
DET
  1. Ponomarev, Vasili
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Kubalik, Dominik
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
DET
  1. Smith, Craig
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (BOS)
DET
  1. Meier, Timo
Additional Details:
Meier extension $9.15m x 8 years
SJS
  1. Vrána, Jakub ($1,500,000 retained)
  2. 2023 1st round pick (DET)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (CGY)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (CAR)
  5. 2025 1st round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
Detroit 2023 1st round pick is Top 15 protected, becomes unprotected 2024 1st round pick
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$82,500,000$72,926,389$0$3,857,500$9,573,611
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,825,000$1,825,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0)
G
RFA - 4
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$795,000$795,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$65,000$65K)
C
RFA - 3
$820,000$820,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 2
$861,667$861,667 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:45 a.m.
Dekesaladekes
Carolina would be needing to add the 2nd not Detroit.

Doubt Detroit adds a pick at all really, no need for them to move kubalik considering his contract goes to next year and is signed to a good AAV also seems to mesh well with the team
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:46 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: Dekes
Carolina would be needing to add the 2nd not Detroit.

Doubt Detroit adds a pick at all really, no need for them to move kubalik considering his contract goes to next year and is signed to a good AAV also seems to mesh well with the team

He’s terrible. Don’t let his numbers fool you.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:03 a.m.
I don't think Calgary needs anymore overpaid, under performing middle six wingers, especially not on rental contracts.

We'll just keep Zadorovs team friendly, cost controled contract for another year, especially since it's such a hard pill for you to swallow.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:06 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: oilfire
I don't think Calgary needs anymore overpaid, under performing middle six wingers, especially not on rental contracts.

We'll just keep Zadorovs team friendly, cost controled contract for another year, especially since it's such a hard pill for you to swallow.

Literally nothing you said made any sense. Move along.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:11 a.m.
Quoting: IDKtbh
Literally nothing you said made any sense. Move along.

Bertuzzi hasn't done anything this year, isn't worth your ask and doesn't actually fills Calgarys need of an elite scorer.

Zadorov is cheap compared to most defenseman of his caliber.

Makes perfect sense to me, but you're convinced players should take significantly less for the privilege of playing for Detroit.

Move along now.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:13 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Bertuzzi hasn't done anything this year, isn't worth your ask and doesn't actually fills Calgarys need of an elite scorer.

Makes perfect sense to me, but you're convinced players should take significantly less for the privilege of playing for Detroit.

Move along now.

Still not making sense. Happy trails.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:19 a.m.

Quit replying if you just want to be a dismissive ass.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:27 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quit replying if you just want to be a dismissive ass.

Watch your mouth, you’re on the internet, don’t forget that.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 5:18 a.m.
Banned

Move along now.

First, I don't know where the privelage thing comes from. Larkin and Meier in this scenario get overpaid.

Second, I have to agree that Bertuzzi, in his current state, probably doesn't get a first and second, even with retention and a cap dump coming back the other way. Maata could be separate trade, for a straight up 2nd. I will say, however, if Bertuzzi pots 5 or 6 goals in February, starts skating a little better, and contributes more like he did last year with his physicality, then that is EXACTLY the type of player Calgary needs, and it might actually cost Calgary a bit more than the 1st and 2nd if retention and Zadorov are required.

Current state: Calgary is overpaying
Future state, if Bertuzzi returns to form in February: 1st, 2nd, and a prospect not named Coronato
IDKtbh liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 5:31 a.m.
Banned
That Meier trade is an overpay. Too many assets for the right to qualify Meier at 10 million, or pay him over 9 million (which I think he'd probably take considering he won't get that deal on the UFA market).

There are only a handful of teams that can fit Meier into their Cap next year without making significant restructuring moves. Of those teams, there are even fewer teams that are on the rise or already a contender that could use Meier and pay him the QO or over 9 million.

Meier is a rental this season only, unless SJ does a sign and trade at 8 years and 9 million, and eats 1-2 million, which would be crazy. Meier is an 8x8 winger at best. He is entering his prime, and should live up to 8 million a year even at the end of 8 years, but I'd be weary of giving out a deal like that to a player who has only come close to a ppg last year and this year. That's the kind of deal a team makes for their own players (like if Bertuzzi were having a second straight near ppg season) or if your team has cap space and just entered the true contenders window.
IDKtbh liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 5:49 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: tonyhzs
First, I don't know where the privelage thing comes from. Larkin and Meier in this scenario get overpaid.

Second, I have to agree that Bertuzzi, in his current state, probably doesn't get a first and second, even with retention and a cap dump coming back the other way. Maata could be separate trade, for a straight up 2nd. I will say, however, if Bertuzzi pots 5 or 6 goals in February, starts skating a little better, and contributes more like he did last year with his physicality, then that is EXACTLY the type of player Calgary needs, and it might actually cost Calgary a bit more than the 1st and 2nd if retention and Zadorov are required.

Future state, if Bertuzzi returns to form in February: 1st, 2nd, and a prospect not named Coronato

Yeah I was confused by the privilege thing as well.

There have been rumors of CGY wanting to dump Zadorov’s deal and a reported willingness to pay to move it, and it’s been well documented they want to add a top 6 forward. You could make the argument that moving Zadorov’s deal could be around a 2nd round pick, Maatta is very realistically worth a 2nd round pick and I expect someone to pony up a 1st round pick for Bertuzzi come the deadline as it’s reasonable to assume he shakes off the rust between now and the first week of March.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 5:54 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
That Meier trade is an overpay. Too many assets for the right to qualify Meier at 10 million, or pay him over 9 million (which I think he'd probably take considering he won't get that deal on the UFA market).

There are only a handful of teams that can fit Meier into their Cap next year without making significant restructuring moves. Of those teams, there are even fewer teams that are on the rise or already a contender that could use Meier and pay him the QO or over 9 million.

Meier is a rental this season only, unless SJ does a sign and trade at 8 years and 9 million, and eats 1-2 million, which would be crazy. Meier is an 8x8 winger at best. He is entering his prime, and should live up to 8 million a year even at the end of 8 years, but I'd be weary of giving out a deal like that to a player who has only come close to a ppg last year and this year. That's the kind of deal a team makes for their own players (like if Bertuzzi were having a second straight near ppg season) or if your team has cap space and just entered the true contenders window.

It’s certainly an expensive trade for the Red Wings, but I also think you’re selling Meier short a bit. I don’t think he gets a penny less than $8.5m on his next deal and I’d consider that a value deal in this market.

I also would not do a trade like this without the expectation of an extension happening, although either way he’s not a rental since whichever team acquires him would own his rights after this year regardless.

As far as Vrana goes, the reality with him is he is currently a negative asset so, moving him in the deal also has its own cost. Maybe if I removed the retention it would look better but, Timo will definitely get a big package like that from a team; Detroit probably won’t be that team though.
aedoran liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 8:55 a.m.

What's confusing? Bert has been injured all season and mostly irrelevant when he wasn't. I wouldn't pay a 1st for him. If he rebounds between now and the deadline I would probably pay a 2nd.

Zadorov is on a very fair contract, if you think his contract is hard to swallow you are completely out of touch

Gonna have to disagree with this breakdown.

First off nobody is paying a 2nd for Maatta, he's very average at best and the defense rental market is quite flooded at that caliber this year. Its why I also doubt Gavrikov (who is much better than Maatta) won't come close to that reported Savard trade asking price.

As for Bertuzzi, he's had quite the injury history in recent years, 2 fairly relevant ones just this season. Even if he bounces back in the last 30 days before the deadline, no team is going to pay premium for a guy who could end up not playing at all. If the market dries up on wingers (ie Kane, Tarasenko, JVR, Meier, Domi, Barbashev) and you're looking at like Nick Ritchie or something as the next best option available then sure, you can probably charge more. But that's not the case, at most you can maybe hope for a conditional 1st for him that depends on how many games he plays
Feb. 1, 2023 at 9:13 a.m.
I don't think there's any reason for Carolina to consider this. Kubalik isn't even a surefire addition to the NHL roster. He's not exactly moving the needle much at the price of Pono
IDKtbh liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 9:23 a.m.
Pass, too much for Sundqvist (Smith too).
IDKtbh liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
What's confusing? Bert has been injured all season and mostly irrelevant when he wasn't. I wouldn't pay a 1st for him. If he rebounds between now and the deadline I would probably pay a 2nd.

Zadorov is on a very fair contract, if you think his contract is hard to swallow you are completely out of touch

Gonna have to disagree with this breakdown.

First off nobody is paying a 2nd for Maatta, he's very average at best and the defense rental market is quite flooded at that caliber this year. Its why I also doubt Gavrikov (who is much better than Maatta) won't come close to that reported Savard trade asking price.

As for Bertuzzi, he's had quite the injury history in recent years, 2 fairly relevant ones just this season. Even if he bounces back in the last 30 days before the deadline, no team is going to pay premium for a guy who could end up not playing at all. If the market dries up on wingers (ie Kane, Tarasenko, JVR, Meier, Domi, Barbashev) and you're looking at like Nick Ritchie or something as the next best option available then sure, you can probably charge more. But that's not the case, at most you can maybe hope for a conditional 1st for him that depends on how many games he plays

It remains to be seen how Bertuzzi will fare in the coming month; I fully expect him to have shaken off any rust in that time span. I find it very peculiar how quick people are to write him off as this flash in the pan. By your standard and whoever else that shares your opinion, I suppose Thatcher Demko is worth a 7th round pick while we’re at it.

I took issue with the previous commenter because he called a 50% retained Bertuzzi an “overpaid, middle six” winger. I mean come on, that’s just blasphemous and does not deserve a well thought out retort. Not to mention, the overall condescending nature of the comments. I don’t play that game.

Anyhow, Bertuzzi has absolutely had some hiccups in terms of finding his groove however, he has battled multiple freak injuries this year and despite those mishaps has flashed the skill and compete level we’re used to seeing from him and it’s only a matter of time before he’s doing what Bert does consistently. He’s easily worth a 2nd round pick + right now, and much more if he picks up his game. Not to mention, He’d be an absolutely perfect match for the Flames.

As for Zadorov, I personally like what he brings to the game, I’ve only just read that Calgary was interested in moving on from his contract and that they weren’t pleased with him. If that’s not accurate, then ok. I don’t have some inside knowledge and/or don’t follow the Flames extensively so, I just went off of what I read (on more than one occasion).

As far as Maatta goes, defenseman don’t come more sturdier or reliable than him. Yeah, nothing he does really jumps off the page but, you know exactly what you’re gonna get from him. At the bare minimum he will return a 3rd & 5th or something in that range.
tonyhzs liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: Caniac2000
I don't think there's any reason for Carolina to consider this. Kubalik isn't even a surefire addition to the NHL roster. He's not exactly moving the needle much at the price of Pono

Yeah, I wouldn’t do it either if I were Carolina. I think Kubalik sucks, which is why I included the pick swap. The Hurricanes could certainly do better.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
It remains to be seen how Bertuzzi will fare in the coming month; I fully expect him to have shaken off any rust in that time span. I find it very peculiar how quick people are to write him off as this flash in the pan. By your standard and whoever else that shares your opinion, I suppose Thatcher Demko is worth a 7th round pick while we’re at it.

I took issue with the previous commenter because he called a 50% retained Bertuzzi an “overpaid, middle six” winger. I mean come on, that’s just blasphemous and does not deserve a well thought out retort. Not to mention, the overall condescending nature of the comments. I don’t play that game.

Anyhow, Bertuzzi has absolutely had some hiccups in terms of finding his groove however, he has battled multiple freak injuries this year and despite those mishaps has flashed the skill and compete level we’re used to seeing from him and it’s only a matter of time before he’s doing what Bert does consistently. He’s easily worth a 2nd round pick + right now, and much more if he picks up his game. Not to mention, He’d be an absolutely perfect match for the Flames.

As for Zadorov, I personally like what he brings to the game, I’ve only just read that Calgary was interested in moving on from his contract and that they weren’t pleased with him. If that’s not accurate, then ok. I don’t have some inside knowledge and/or don’t follow the Flames extensively so, I just went off of what I read (on more than one occasion).

As far as Maatta goes, defenseman don’t come more sturdier or reliable than him. Yeah, nothing he does really jumps off the page but, you know exactly what you’re gonna get from him. At the bare minimum he will return a 3rd & 5th or something in that range.

Yeah I still can't agree with this.

I got in an argument with some delusional leafs fan earlier about Bert that posted a trade where they offered a 3rd and a 26 year old AHLer in Bobby McMann. They kept contradicting themselves in our talks. They said the guys not that good and has injury issues so no one would bid on him. Then I asked why he wants Bert and they replied Because he will be cheap. So I asked why other teams wouldn't think the same thing they said injury concerns and UFA.

Obviously he will get more than a 3rd, especially if his game picks up again. However I find it extremely unlikely that regardless of if it does that he returns a 1st, at least not one that is conditional. 30 days is just not enough time to gain that much value.

As for Maatta, a 3rd+ is probably reasonable, he's a decent #5

You are definitely wrong on Zadorov though, he's been excellent this year. No idea where you read otherwise
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Yeah I still can't agree with this.

I got in an argument with some delusional leafs fan earlier about Bert that posted a trade where they offered a 3rd and a 26 year old AHLer in Bobby McMann. They kept contradicting themselves in our talks. They said the guys not that good and has injury issues so no one would bid on him. Then I asked why he wants Bert and they replied Because he will be cheap. So I asked why other teams wouldn't think the same thing they said injury concerns and UFA.

Obviously he will get more than a 3rd, especially if his game picks up again. However I find it extremely unlikely that regardless of if it does that he returns a 1st, at least not one that is conditional. 30 days is just not enough time to gain that much value.

As for Maatta, a 3rd+ is probably reasonable, he's a decent #5

You are definitely wrong on Zadorov though, he's been excellent this year. No idea where you read otherwise

I tried looking up where I saw what I am referencing about Zadorov and I couldn’t find anything, but again, I think he’s a good player, maybe there were some rumblings early on in the season that were from more than a month ago that google search won’t allow me to choose a time frame in between a month and a year to find it. I digress.

As far as Bertuzzi goes, we’re not giving him away. I wouldn’t even trade him for a single 2nd round pick. If the best offer on the table is that, we’ll just re-sign him. People don’t realize, he is essentially a poor man’s Matthew Tkachuk and I hate to use that term in comparison because it subjectively minimizes the player Tyler is depending on who interprets that comparison.

Bertuzzi won’t be traded unless we get a 1st OR a top prospect in return. That’s just what it boils down to. Obviously if his game doesn’t produce offensive production over the next few weeks like we’re used to seeing from him, he’ll likely remain a Red Wing.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
I tried looking up where I saw what I am referencing about Zadorov and I couldn’t find anything, but again, I think he’s a good player, maybe there were some rumblings early on in the season that were from more than a month ago that google search won’t allow me to choose a time frame in between a month and a year to find it. I digress.

As far as Bertuzzi goes, we’re not giving him away. I wouldn’t even trade him for a single 2nd round pick. If the best offer on the table is that, we’ll just re-sign him. People don’t realize, he is essentially a poor man’s Matthew Tkachuk and I hate to use that term in comparison because it subjectively minimizes the player Tyler is depending on who interprets that comparison.

Bertuzzi won’t be traded unless we get a 1st OR a top prospect in return. That’s just what it boils down to. Obviously if his game doesn’t produce offensive production over the next few weeks like we’re used to seeing from him, he’ll likely remain a Red Wing.

if he'll re-sign, pretty important caveat I would think
Feb. 1, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers

I don’t think he extends for longer than a year with anybody unless his game picks right back up where he left off last year. Right now, I’d say he’s looking at a 1 year deal worth around $5.5m. If he had the exact same season as last year, which he very well could have if not for the two injuries, he’d command upwards of $7m on a long term deal. He won’t get that right now so, I don’t see any long term deal happening during this year.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 5:02 p.m.
Banned

It was early in the season when fans, not the team, wanted Zadorov gone. That's settled now. He is easy to move for cap reasons though, which is why I thought he was coming back, especially since Maata was also going tbe other way.

As for Bertuzzi, I have no idea how anyone thinks he is injury prone...two pucks to the wrist. Not a back or knee or head problem, which would be fully warranted as a risk. Wrists heal, and they should be fine by playoff time. Bertuzzi is built for playoff hockey. Even in his current underperforming state, he goes for a second a middle prospect. Of the rust shakes off, as you say, a 1st is for sure on the table.
IDKtbh liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 8:40 p.m.
Wolf.for.Vezina
Zadorov has been great this year, better than Maata. We keep Zadorov and our 1st, u keep Maata
Feb. 5, 2023 at 8:54 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers

It was early in the season when fans, not the team, wanted Zadorov gone. That's settled now. He is easy to move for cap reasons though, which is why I thought he was coming back, especially since Maata was also going tbe other way.

As for Bertuzzi, I have no idea how anyone thinks he is injury prone...two pucks to the wrist. Not a back or knee or head problem, which would be fully warranted as a risk. Wrists heal, and they should be fine by playoff time. Bertuzzi is built for playoff hockey. Even in his current underperforming state, he goes for a second a middle prospect. Of the rust shakes off, as you say, a 1st is for sure on the table.

Quoting: Dont_Fire_Brad_Trelving
Zadorov has been great this year, better than Maata. We keep Zadorov and our 1st, u keep Maata

Guys, I literally just now realized I confused Nikita Zadorov for the Flames with Nikita Zaitsev of the Senators. 😂

My apologies. Lol.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll