Forums/Armchair-GM

Chychrun becomes a Yinzer

Created by: Penz87
Team: 2022-23 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 1, 2023
Published: Feb. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Is this enough to acquire Chychrun? I know people will say that Arizona will get a better offer from another team, but I'm not too sure on that. And I mean the Lightning traded 2 firsts for Hagel, so this has to be worth it from the Pens point of view. Also, with the Barbashev trade I had some Blues fans say they would rather have Heinen and retain on Barbashev. It doesn't have to be 50% but that's just what I put. I know people are going to hate but read my reasonings and hear me out. Let me know what you think!
Trades
PIT
  1. Barbashev, Ivan ($1,125,000 retained)
  2. 2023 5th round pick (STL)
STL
  1. Heinen, Danton
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (PIT)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (NJD)
PIT
  1. Chychrun, Jakob
Additional Details:
They have to trade him at some point, right? Also, in my opinion Ty Smith fits Arizona's timeline better only because he is 2 years younger and still needs some development at the NHL level. Chychrun fits the Pens timeline because he is obviously already a stud and will step onto the top pair with Letang.
ARI
  1. Dumoulin, Brian
  2. Kapanen, Kasperi
  3. Poulin, Samuel
  4. Smith, Ty
  5. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
  6. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Poulin - 2019 first round pick, hasn't had a spot on the Pens, will be a decent middle 6 forward, is NHL ready. Kapanen - Fast, skilled, with good underlying numbers, but doesn't have a spot in our top 6 and he could do really well playing with younger skilled players in Arizona. Smith - First round pick who played well on the Devils, played really well in the couple of games he got for the Pens, but won't have spot full time until next year, and he will be really good in the future. Dumo - Necessary cap dump, contract up at the end of the season, and creates a spot for Chychrun to step into. 2 first round picks will be 18-24 ish but I don't see another rebuilding team going after Chychrun when they want to keep those high picks for themselves.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the STL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$75,960,592$0$0$6,539,408

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 3
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
mokumboi
I'd say that's a competitive offer for Barby. Not a lock instant accept, but it's got a shot.
xercuses and Penz87 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:13 p.m.
Xercuses
Yup that’s close for the blues
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
Gabagool44
If I was Arizona GM im running with that deal! That is way too much for Chychrun in my opinion.... and even without any salary retention. Thats crazy
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.
Personally I think you're giving up too much for Chychrun in this deal - but not sure it matters anyways because Dumoulin 100% has Arizona on his no trade list.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: Gabagool44
If I was Arizona GM im running with that deal! That is way too much for Chychrun in my opinion.... and even without any salary retention. Thats crazy

Okay fair enough, what in your opinion makes it a bit more fair?
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
Quoting: JSEB93
Personally I think you're giving up too much for Chychrun in this deal - but not sure it matters anyways because Dumoulin 100% has Arizona on his no trade list.

I mean he could have Arizona on his no trade list, but we don't know for sure. You're probably right though.
JSEB93 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:40 p.m.
The Chychrun deal is sound with Poulin and the (2) 1st round picks. Dumoluin is just dead weight in this (or any other) trade and Ty Smith would be a good sweetener to deal with it. He has the M-NTC but often these are teams in **** tax zones, AZ has some of the best tax breaks in the league so more than likely AZ is not on his list.

Kapanen is an odd toss in, not sure he has any real value to either team but if adding him is needed to get the trade done, meh...

AZ would seriously consider this package and likely ink the deal.
Penz87 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
This deal for Chychrun likely gets beaten with more quality and less quantity. Dumoulin and Kapanen do very little for the value here, Smith and Poulin are both fairly mediocre prospects, and the 1sts will likely be late in the round. I've definitely seen better offers on this site and I think it would take one very good prospect to get the deal done in reality, which this offer lacks.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: Penz87
I mean he could have Arizona on his no trade list, but we don't know for sure. You're probably right though.

You're right - we don't know for sure. The 100% was sort of just an exaggeration/figure of speech I guess. If I was a betting man though and could pick one team that was on the list it would be Arizona though haha.

Either way, just my personal preference - if the Pens were willing to give up this many assets - I would prefer if it was used for a forward or forwards. I just think it would have more of an impact on the team. The Barbashev deal would be good though
Penz87 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Quoting: Marked_Difference
The Chychrun deal is sound with Poulin and the (2) 1st round picks. Dumoluin is just dead weight in this (or any other) trade and Ty Smith would be a good sweetener to deal with it. He has the M-NTC but often these are teams in **** tax zones, AZ has some of the best tax breaks in the league so more than likely AZ is not on his list.

Kapanen is an odd toss in, not sure he has any real value to either team but if adding him is needed to get the trade done, meh...

That tax zone thing is a really good point. And yeah, I added Poulin as more of the sweetener, but either way Ty Smith and Poulin is a fair deal if it means we get Chychrun. Dumo is dead weight, but needs to be moved to make the cap work. And as far as the Kapanen toss in, it would have to be either him or Blueger going back to make the money work as well. I just picked Kapanen because I felt he was is under contract next year and has more skill than Blueger.

I'm also a little confused because some are saying that's too much to give up, but I don't feel like it is and you seem to not think so either.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
You're right - we don't know for sure. The 100% was sort of just an exaggeration/figure of speech I guess. If I was a betting man though and could pick one team that was on the list it would be Arizona though haha.

Either way, just my personal preference - if the Pens were willing to give up this many assets - I would prefer if it was used for a forward or forwards. I just think it would have more of an impact on the team. The Barbashev deal would be good though

Yeah, I agree. I'd like Barbashev at 3C and if not Chychrun then maybe go and get Domi or somebody to play on that 3rd line. I'm not sure, but I am sure that Hextall has to do something. And maybe the Chychrun trade is an off season move if he is not picked up by another team before then.
JSEB93 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: Gabagool44

Quoting: Marked_Difference

LOL 2 late firsts [esp since Chych pushes them into beating NJD/TB territory] + a winger they DONT need + a bag of pucks isn't even close to making it worth Zona losing him when they will have a competitive team next year
Feb. 1, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
This deal for Chychrun likely gets beaten with more quality and less quantity. Dumoulin and Kapanen do very little for the value here, Smith and Poulin are both fairly mediocre prospects, and the 1sts will likely be late in the round. I've definitely seen better offers on this site and I think it would take one very good prospect to get the deal done in reality, which this offer lacks.

Yeah, this is really the best the pens can do as far as a trade package in my opinion. But I see your point. I also think Smith is better than he gets credit for, but Chychrun is certainly better though at this point.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: OldBoisClubSandwich
LOL 2 late firsts [esp since Chych pushes them into beating NJD/TB territory] + a winger they DONT need + a bag of pucks isn't even close to making it worth Zona losing him when they will have a competitive team next year

I'll do you one better, Carter waves his NMC and Arizona gets him and a 3rd for Chychrun. That sounds fair to me haha
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
Yeah, I agree. I'd like Barbashev at 3C and if not Chychrun then maybe go and get Domi or somebody to play on that 3rd line. I'm not sure, but I am sure that Hextall has to do something. And maybe the Chychrun trade is an off season move if he is not picked up by another team before then.

Barbashev would be nice for sure. I don't mind Domi either - but would prefer him at wing due to defensive issues. My worry is that Sullivan is so stubborn and deploys our 3rd line so heavily in the defensive zone this season - I wonder how much offensive guys like Barbashev and Domi would actually help. Especially Domi. Hopefully if Hextall does get one of those guys Sullivan will adjust accordingly.

Chychrun would be amazing to have, I'm not trying to argue against that. I just feel like from a value perspective you would upgrade the team more by using those assets to upgrade the forward group than the D group - even though Chychrun is fantastic. I would love to have him. Yeah Hextall definitely needs to do something lol - it's looking a bit bleak at the moment. Chychrun in the offseason could be interesting - I wonder if his value would be up or down at that point.
Penz87 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
Barbashev would be nice for sure. I don't mind Domi either - but would prefer him at wing due to defensive issues. My worry is that Sullivan is so stubborn and deploys our 3rd line so heavily in the defensive zone this season - I wonder how much offensive guys like Barbashev and Domi would actually help. Especially Domi. Hopefully if Hextall does get one of those guys Sullivan will adjust accordingly.

Chychrun would be amazing to have, I'm not trying to argue against that. I just feel like from a value perspective you would upgrade the team more by using those assets to upgrade the forward group than the D group - even though Chychrun is fantastic. I would love to have him. Yeah Hextall definitely needs to do something lol - it's looking a bit bleak at the moment. Chychrun in the offseason could be interesting - I wonder if his value would be up or down at that point.

I could be making this up, but I'm pretty sure Barbashev has pretty good defensive metrics. And St. Louis uses him on the penalty kill, which might not mean much. But I think he is actually pretty good defensively.
JSEB93 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:32 p.m.
Quoting: OldBoisClubSandwich

Not so sure about that. The Pens fans won't want to hear this but looking at the trajectory curves of Pittsburg players against the rest of the Metro the cup window is already closed, and the playoff window is questionable for the next couple of years. I really like the Pens and am a big fan of many of their players, but age and decline is catching up to them fast.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
I could be making this up, but I'm pretty sure Barbashev has pretty good defensive metrics. And St. Louis uses him on the penalty kill, which might not mean much. But I think he is actually pretty good defensively.

I actually looked around before I said that and couldn't find anything haha - so you could definitely be right. In which case I like that trade even more. Although Domi I know for a fact is ass defensively
Penz87 liked this.
Feb. 1, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
I actually looked around before I said that and couldn't find anything haha - so you could definitely be right. In which case I like that trade even more. Although Domi I know for a fact is ass defensively

haha you are definitely right about domi buddy sucks at defense
JSEB93 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll