Forums/Armchair-GM

All in deadline approach with the future in mind

Created by: Stewie21
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 3, 2023
Published: Feb. 4, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Wanted to make a capfriendly where the Leafs go completely all in, but at the same time do it with assets that aren’t rentals. Thought most of my trade offers were atleast conversation starters for both sides. Don’t need them to be final deals cause none of us actually know. But these are the players I’d target if they’re available.

I like the threat of two potent PPs in this scenario, ours tends to go cold in big moments or get shut down.

Well aware this is mostly dreaming, but it attacks every need. Top 6 forward, bottom 6 depth, defensive upgrade, goaltending upgrade.

ZAR also doesn’t have to pass waivers if Knies and Holmberg are shuffled in and out with paper transactions. That also depends who’s on IR, may not have to do anything to keep him up.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$750,000
3$850,000
Trades
STL
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
  2. Sandin, Rasmus
  3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Kerfoot doesn’t have to move in this deal, he could move in a separate deal for a small asset then add that here. Sandin should hold decent value as an established nhl defenseman at age 22. This is a better package than the blue dealt to land Buchnevich. That was also considered a lopsided deal though and he’s improved since. Not sure he’d even be available, but If he was he’d be a top target forsure.
TOR
  1. Lafferty, Sam
  2. McCabe, Jake ($2,000,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Lisowsky, Brandon
  2. Steeves, Alex
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Don’t think Lafferty would cost too too much, rumoured ask for McCabe retained is a first. So went 2nd, 3rd, prospect (doesn’t have to be Lisowsky but wouldn’t be too high end), and a near nhl ready player in Steeves.
VAN
  1. Murray, Matt
  2. Niemelä, Topi
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
I’m not sure what the exact state of Demko’s health is, and I wouldn’t open the offer with Niemela. But if he’s going to be 100% healthy, and that’s what it took then I make it all day. Vancouver has a need for defense prospects if I'm not mistaken. I don’t believe Murray would be much of a salary dump at his current number, but he definitely doesn’t add any value to a trade. Salary out for the leafs and a good “reset” or “rebuild” goalie for the Canucks. I also don’t know if it would even actually cost this much, as goalies normally don’t cost a tonne. But I’d do what it took to get him.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$80,495,616$212,500$0$2,004,384

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$0$0
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:04 p.m.
2018 Canucks
Murray is far to erratic & cannot stay healthy.
Negative asset.

Niemela fast becoming a reclamation project.

The deferred 1st is ok on one hand.

Verdict: No
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Just not realistic to expect to upgrade 4 positions, especially 3 “high value” positions in top 6 forward, top 4 D, & goal. Demko absolutely not required; Leafs committed to Murray & Samsonov for this year & no need to panic now - so far so good. Will need a 1st to land McCabe (with retention) which you’ll have from voiding demko trade. Puchnevic won’t be available (ditto for koneckny or any young top 6 forward with term) so I think Leafs have to look for vet rentals instead.
A top 4 D and a top 6W or 3C would be great adds at TDL imo.
GladeBang12 liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
Quoting: Nighthawk
Negative asset.

Calling Niemela a “reclamation project” cause you’re only looking at his box scores is something. He’s a 20 year old RHD playing in a men’s league in Finland. He had a fantastic season last year by the box scores, and his underlying numbers have improved this season. His point totals have dropped but most prospect writers still consider him a top 4 ceiling, bottom pair floor prospect. He’s not an elite prospect but sure isn’t a reclamation project lol.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Xercuses
Yea that’s just simply not enough for Buch
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
I don't really think the Blues need more defensemen, they might want a forward prospect instead.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Quoting: MitchJr
Just not realistic to expect to upgrade 4 positions, especially 3 “high value” positions in top 6 forward, top 4 D, & goal. Demko absolutely not required; Leafs committed to Murray & Samsonov for this year & no need to panic now - so far so good. Will need a 1st to land McCabe (with retention) which you’ll have from voiding demko trade. Puchnevic won’t be available (ditto for koneckny or any young top 6 forward with term) so I think Leafs have to look for vet rentals instead.
A top 4 D and a top 6W or 3C would be great adds at TDL imo.

I agree the McCabe trade may require a better asset or another one. As for the rest this post isn’t what I think the leafs will do. No one knows. As I said this is what I would do if I were gm and was going to go all in. Murray has been decent this year, but if Demko is healthy he’s a top goalie in the league. He would allow us to go into a series against any team and be close to equal or better in net. There’s no reason a top 6 forward with term wouldn’t be available from somewhere, but we really don’t know. That’s why I said “if he’s available”.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: xercuses
Yea that’s just simply not enough for Buch

Quoting: LendMeYourMilk
I don't really think the Blues need more defensemen, they might want a forward prospect instead.

It’s close for Buchnevich imo, obviously not going to be exact. Might need another prospect, idk I’m not expecting to nail the exact values. I’d understand if they preferred a forward. If that was the case the prospect would have to be Knies.
LendMeYourMilk and xercuses liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Nighthawk
Negative asset.

Murray has better career numbers than Demko who's numbers are actually not that great. Nearly 3 GAA and a career save percentage of .909. Hes shown flashes of being unbelievable but as many stretches of being average or below. He's also only played more than 40 games once in his career. I think Demko would be better on a better team but I also am not sure how much better. He's not as consistent as you guys like to say.

Niemela fast becoming a reclamation project is just not having any idea what the player is.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:36 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Stewie21
Calling Niemela a “reclamation project” cause you’re only looking at his box scores is something. He’s a 20 year old RHD playing in a men’s league in Finland. He had a fantastic season last year by the box scores, and his underlying numbers have improved this season. His point totals have dropped but most prospect writers still consider him a top 4 ceiling, bottom pair floor prospect. He’s not an elite prospect but sure isn’t a reclamation project lol.

I wager he'll be an effective secondary defenceman. Much like Brodie
Stewie21 liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:40 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Murray has better career numbers than Demko who's numbers are actually not that great. Nearly 3 GAA and a career save percentage of .909. Hes shown flashes of being unbelievable but as many stretches of being average or below. He's also only played more than 40 games once in his career. I think Demko would be better on a better team but I also am not sure how much better. He's not as consistent as you guys like to say.

Niemela fast becoming a reclamation project is just not having any idea what the player is.

I actually completely agree with your assessment of Demko. When I looked at his numbers I was kinda surprised by them not being all that special. That’s why I kinda thought that might even be too much to give up and said I wouldn’t start with Niemela. I do think he’d be great with a more defensive team and good health. But as it goes with goalies that deal is definitely the biggest gamble of the 3 by far.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
Hawks decline. McCabe half retained costs a 2023 1st. Only reason Hawks consider retaining is to get a 2023 1st back. No 1st, no retention. And Lafferty probably fetches a 3rd.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Hawks decline. McCabe half retained costs a 2023 1st. Only reason Hawks consider retaining is to get a 2023 1st back. No 1st, no retention. And Lafferty probably fetches a 3rd.

If they had a 1st on the table and decided to take that instead that’d be fine. In this scenario I wouldn’t be offering one. If Lafferty costs about a 3rd, that’d mean I offered a 2nd, prospect and meh young NHL ready player. So that should at least be close.. prospect can be changed like I said.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
mokumboi
It’s close for Buchnevich imo, obviously not going to be exact. Might need another prospect, idk I’m not expecting to nail the exact values. I’d understand if they preferred a forward. If that was the case the prospect would have to be Knies.

It's not close and he's not available. Pass it on.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
It's not close and he's not available. Pass it on.

.. Doug..? Is.. is that you?👀

Play the game then, he’s available. What’s the cost?
Feb. 4, 2023 at 5:29 p.m.
If Murray has neutral value then the trade is essentially Niemela and a 1st for Demko, Vancouver for sure accepts that, but Murray would need to be moved elsewhere.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.

Save percentage and goals against are poor statistics to quantify a goaltenders value, they are largely a reflection of the quality of the team in front of them. Vancouver has been terrible during the entire time Demko has been on the roster.

I agree it is way to early to be calling Niemela a reclamation project.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Reason
Save percentage and goals against are poor statistics to quantify a goaltenders value, they are largely a reflection of the quality of the team in front of them. Vancouver has been terrible during the entire time Demko has been on the roster.

I agree it is way to early to be calling Niemela a reclamation project.

Markstrom played behind the same team and was much better and more consistent for the last couple of years before going to Calgary. Demko isn't the top flight goalie he's billed as. He's a good one but I am not sure how good.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 8:30 p.m.
Markstrom played behind the same team and was much better and more consistent for the last couple of years before going to Calgary. Demko isn't the top flight goalie he's billed as. He's a good one but I am not sure how good.

If you are again referring to the save percentage stat their stats were actually pretty similar:
Markstrom, .910 .912 .912 .918.
Demko: .913 .905 .915 .915, I didn't count this year because he has been playing injured.

Both played very well in their only playoffs with Vancouver, but there is no question Demko was the better of the two that post season.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 8:40 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Reason
If you are again referring to the save percentage stat their stats were actually pretty similar:
Markstrom, .910 .912 .912 .918.
Demko: .913 .905 .915 .915, I didn't count this year because he has been playing injured.

Both played very well in their only playoffs with Vancouver, but there is no question Demko was the better of the two that post season.

This is the double sided arguments that make this site so frustrating. Demko's poor play this year doesn't count because of injuries but Murray's poor play in Ottawa is because he sucks and not because the team was crap and he was hurt.

I have seen the Canucks as a below average team for a few years now so I give him a little slack. But Vancouver has supposed to be a playoff team since you succeeded in the bubble and Demko hasn't been able to lift the team into the playoffs. That doesn't mean he's a bad goalie but it does temper my opinion of him a bit. He's a goalie, they are crap shoots and after this season, I don't hold him among the elite goalies. He's a guy who could be fantastic on any given night and also not just like most guys. Murray has stolen games this year as have Samsonov. Is Demko an upgrade? Maybe but maybe he is no better. Murray has won 2 cups, he knows how to handle playoff pressure. Demko I am not sure is going to get the return you hope for. He's definitely no Shesterkin or Vasilevsky
Feb. 4, 2023 at 9:13 p.m.
mokumboi
.. Doug..? Is.. is that you?👀

Play the game then, he’s available. What’s the cost?

No.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 10:03 p.m.
This is the double sided arguments that make this site so frustrating. Demko's poor play this year doesn't count because of injuries but Murray's poor play in Ottawa is because he sucks and not because the team was crap and he was hurt.

I have seen the Canucks as a below average team for a few years now so I give him a little slack. But Vancouver has supposed to be a playoff team since you succeeded in the bubble and Demko hasn't been able to lift the team into the playoffs. That doesn't mean he's a bad goalie but it does temper my opinion of him a bit. He's a goalie, they are crap shoots and after this season, I don't hold him among the elite goalies. He's a guy who could be fantastic on any given night and also not just like most guys. Murray has stolen games this year as have Samsonov. Is Demko an upgrade? Maybe but maybe he is no better. Murray has won 2 cups, he knows how to handle playoff pressure. Demko I am not sure is going to get the return you hope for. He's definitely no Shesterkin or Vasilevsky

"This is the double sided arguments that make this site so frustrating. Demko's poor play this year doesn't count because of injuries but Murray's poor play in Ottawa is because he sucks and not because the team was crap and he was hurt."
- Personally I think there is a big difference between your Murray and Demko injury comparisons. Murray has not had a good statistical season since 2018-19, Demko has played 15 bad games this season... If Demko doesn't have a good statistical season (I'm not talking save percentage and GAA I'm talking expected goals against) for multiple years then you can compare the two. Also just to be clear, I never said Murray "sucked", but Vancouver shouldn't have any interest in him, they are trying to cut cap and get younger.

"Demko hasn't been able to lift the team into the playoffs."
- There was no way Demko was going to lift the Canucks to the playoffs last year that team was brutal, especially the defense. Demko was top 5 in the NHL expected goals against (which is the stat most people use to judge goalies), and the Canucks would have finished much lower in the standings than the did without him.

"Demko I am not sure is going to get the return you hope for"
- I havent stated what I believe the return would be in a Demko trade, however I don't think Demko is going to fetch the return many Canuck fans are expecting. Just like every other fan base, Vancouver fans usually over rate the return for their players.
RipNasty liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
No.

That’s what I thought.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll