Forums/Armchair-GM

Jets deadline

Created by: Howie
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 3, 2023
Published: Feb. 4, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I feel like of deadline where we make adds that address our needs rather than an all out deadline is most likely case as all the big fish (meier, Tarasenko, etc) all have other suitors and the one thing we can't afford is a bidding war for a player.
I know the the Chicago deal gives up some good assets but I feel like we need toews more than anyone and we have a link to him in more ways than most so I feel like even if his cost is more than someone else I feel like sure we can save assets going for a different player but they sure won't have the same aspect.
Richie is an interesting guy that I'm surprised the jets are interested in but remember how effective he was in Boston when surrounded with talent. Even if he's just on the forth line he adds a 6'3 236 frame which is something we don't really have being a tank out there leaving it all on the ice and willing to drop em to protect his guys
With Braun his cost is quite low as he has no points is 35 and not a lot of suitors which is why I feel like he's a good guy to bring in as he has been on 4 playoff runs with 16 or more games. He may not even start but having a guy that you know has been through it and can basically have a better dman setup rather than fully expecting Samberg to not have issues makes us a more round out team.

Overall would I like more to be done is a question I ask but with the core we have a meier or Tarensanko would cost a lot and most likely leave. This type of deadline shows the team and fans that hey we want to win but we understand that we need to have restraint in what we give up. This basically the essence of this deadline and these 3 moves make us a better team and doesn't sacrifice a top prospect (lucius, lambert, mcgroarty) which is ideal.

In conclusion I suppose every fan has a different view on what a team needs to do for their team as a whole spectrum. I now have a better understanding that to have an effective deadline you don't need the biggest names but the people you know make you a better team (cost benefit analysis).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope that the values for these trades are close but ultimately knowing that it's impossible to have a trade that everyone agrees on so just being more positive rather than shooting down the idea would be much appreciated.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Toews, Jonathan
1$2,625,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Domi, Max
  2. Toews, Jonathan ($5,250,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Jets get 2 local guys that help out the depth and make the top 9 deadly domi adds some edge and scoring great for a pp2 and can move up and down the lineup.

Toews gives leadership, playoff experience, and most importantly a great faceoff man that can be relied on for important defensive zone draws (unloads the pressure on lowry) and can be good 3rd if not 2nd line option to spread out the lines if perfetti needs to be sheltered
CHI
  1. Blaisdell, Harrison [Reserve List]
  2. Jonsson-Fjällby, Axel
  3. Rashevsky, Dmitri [Reserve List]
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (WPG)
  5. 2024 3rd round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Condition that 2024 second upgrades to 2023 first if the jets make the wcf and toews plays 75% of games

Chicago gets a 3rd and a roster player in ajf for domi which helps them lower in the standings and get a roster replacement that can be effective in the bottom 6

They get a 2nd that can upgrade and rashevsky for toews where it could be a first if these players add enough value to the team to make it to the top 4 teams. Rashevsky is an intriguing piece to get here as well as he has shown success in the khl being a good goal scorer and play driver. He has middle six upside imo and can be a great piece to have when the team starts to turn the corner on the rebuild

Also can get a throw in like Blaisdell who had some great aspects to his game but hasn't been able to put it all together but could be something added to sweeten the return albeit not a great prospect overall but eh if you see something sign him if not it's a free look to see if he is something that would be of interest
WPG
  1. Ritchie, Nick ($1,250,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Jets gets toews cheaper and a physical bottom six player to fill in and create a more difficult bottom six to play against while having some upside in offense albeit not the primary reason for the acquisition but a bonus
ARI
  1. Harkins, Jansen
  2. Johannesson, Anton [Reserve List]
  3. Moe, Jared [Reserve List]
  4. Stanley, Logan
  5. Toews, Jonathan
Additional Details:
Harkins and johannesson for Richie
Moe and Stanley get toews double retained

Arizona gets 2 guys that most likely wouldn't have a spot on the team in the future that come with success in their respective leagues and allow for Arizona to drop in the standings

For the toews retention stanley comes in as a young guy who can play minutes with the possibility of other dmen traded similar to what lamoureux can be and can maybe unlock some aspects to his game with more opportunity
Harkins has gained interest as of late and I feel like Arizona could give him a spot to show that he's deserved a spot but has stuck behind in the depth chart. Could be an effective 3rd liner with some offense which is what Arizona can get for not subtracting too much from the team (Ritchie) and basically get younger and more likely increase chance in the lottery
WPG
  1. Braun, Justin
Additional Details:
Basically a 7th dman but has experience in playoffs and if need be could replace Samberg in the run if Samberg is shaky
PHI
  1. Gawanke, Leon
Additional Details:
Philly gets a guy who could use a shot in a younger team and could benefit from a chance to play
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$83,120,358$0$2,800,000-$620,358

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Toews, Jonathan
$2,625,000$2,625,000
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 4, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
They bought it
those are all pieces id expect chevy to be in on, he traditionally is adept at finding those role players. depending on if toews wants to be moved/which teams, i can see him being had for even cheaper, but with some sort of similar conditional pick that gets upgraded. its probably best to have him normally play 4th line since hes gotten slower and then have him strategically take faceoffs.
for the ritchie deal id expect more picks to be traded than players and he might garner more interest close to the deadline so his price may go up as well.
youre a little bit over the cap but that could be easily fixed by switching out some other players. id actually wonder if appleton is someone the jets might shop (even tho i like him). he’s a bit overpaid because of his injuries and lack of scoring this year but another team might have a place for him when he comes back
Howie liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Flyers easily do that.
Howie liked this.
Looks like a pretty good TDL for the jets. Nothing over the top, just reinforces an already good roster.
Howie liked this.
Toews, retention, and Domi for a 2nd, a 3rd, and some guys Winnipeg doesn't want...very realistic.
Hawksguy81 liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 3:58 p.m.
Quoting: ginandtacos
Toews, retention, and Domi for a 2nd, a 3rd, and some guys Winnipeg doesn't want...very realistic.

I broke down what the trade was as it's basically 2 trades within the same one with domi getting a 3rd guaranteed and ajf
Toews would get a 2nd and Rashevsky who is doing quite well in the khl and could be a first if the jets win 2 playoff rounds so ideally if that happens it's a 2023 first 2023 3rd ajf Rashevsky and Blaisdell
Feb. 4, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: Gunmars
Flyers easily do that.

Is he been bad this year or just kinda there. I got the assumption when he resigned that it was most likely gonna be a repeat year where he's traded but probably less than what nyr gave has he been bad or is he still a serviceable piece for a playoff run?
Feb. 4, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
Quoting: ChevelsDayOff
those are all pieces id expect chevy to be in on, he traditionally is adept at finding those role players. depending on if toews wants to be moved/which teams, i can see him being had for even cheaper, but with some sort of similar conditional pick that gets upgraded. its probably best to have him normally play 4th line since hes gotten slower and then have him strategically take faceoffs.
for the ritchie deal id expect more picks to be traded than players and he might garner more interest close to the deadline so his price may go up as well.
youre a little bit over the cap but that could be easily fixed by switching out some other players. id actually wonder if appleton is someone the jets might shop (even tho i like him). he’s a bit overpaid because of his injuries and lack of scoring this year but another team might have a place for him when he comes back

I would have traded appleton but I just don't see him being moved after they brought him back and resigned him to that deal so yes he could be included but I just don't see it personally. Also having him 4th line and pk ain't too bad and injuries always happen so I'd rather have appleton step up than gagner personally. One injury to Appleton and every hops on the trade him bus when his value is as low as its been on the jets. I say keep him and let him build up value or when it expires we get him for a cheaper deal rn is not the time to trade him as we'd need to include more as most teams will see his as a negative assets.
ChevelsDayOff liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: Howie
I broke down what the trade was as it's basically 2 trades within the same one with domi getting a 3rd guaranteed and ajf
Toews would get a 2nd and Rashevsky who is doing quite well in the khl and could be a first if the jets win 2 playoff rounds so ideally if that happens it's a 2023 first 2023 3rd ajf Rashevsky and Blaisdell

In reality though, the deal is two picks in next year's draft and Rashevsky. AJF is a bottom 6 guy and Hawks have plenty of those already, so no real value. And Blaisdell hasn't come close to earning an ELC in his 4 years of college, so he has no value at all. The value isn't bad with the conditional 2nd that could become a 1st, but it's not hard to see other teams offering more. If Hawks accept, it would be at the last minute on deadline day.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 5:02 p.m.
Blaisdell not exactly lighting it up in college. Probably not deserving of a ELC.

A Russian playing in the KHL. Who knows if and when he'll sign here.

If Chicago wanted AJF they would have claimed on waivers.

Two 2024 picks with one a possible upgrade if Jets get hot in the playoffs.

All told Hawks most likely decline.
Garak liked this.
Feb. 4, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksguy81
In reality though, the deal is two picks in next year's draft and Rashevsky. AJF is a bottom 6 guy and Hawks have plenty of those already, so no real value. And Blaisdell hasn't come close to earning an ELC in his 4 years of college, so he has no value at all. The value isn't bad with the conditional 2nd that could become a 1st, but it's not hard to see other teams offering more. If Hawks accept, it would be at the last minute on deadline day.

I think you need to look at rashevsky to see what he brings to this deal. Also values based on feedback from other agms so sure it may not be perfect but it's in the ballpark
Feb. 4, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Quoting: boilermaker
Blaisdell not exactly lighting it up in college. Probably not deserving of a ELC.

A Russian playing in the KHL. Who knows if and when he'll sign here.

If Chicago wanted AJF they would have claimed on waivers.

Two 2024 picks with one a possible upgrade if Jets get hot in the playoffs.

All told Hawks most likely decline.

Rashevsky has stated when he was drafted he was going to come over and willing to put in the time in what league he needed to be (ahl most likely) and has 30 points in the khl this year as a 22 year old he has a lot of upside and is a better piece than your giving credit. 3rd and ajf seems like a good amount for domi who @Garak said was about his value which maybe he has some different opinion but this is without any retention on him so a 3rd and ajf who has come a long way from being claimed (comparing him to then isn't fair) is on 20 point pave and a young energy guy to replace domi in the lineup and potentially someone to keep

I said Blaisdell was just a throw in if you read the deal he hasn't done much but he's free throw in within this deal so there's no penalty for doing what you want there. He is there to be like "if you want to sign this guy or just see how he'd fit in the depth chart here" he could not be signed but the whole point of adding him is just giving them options better him be included and make the Decision than him not be in the deal. Ajf could be switched with Harkins who has had interest in him with his stints in the ahl.

All in all it's not a perfect deal for either team as Chicago might want more and wpg would ideally keep rashevsky but I feel like that shows that both sides gain and give up assets in this deal which would make the deal work for both sides. I'm not saying this is the best deal that might be available for the 2 of them but it's a deal that is acceptable and both teams could live with which is why I feel like it's a deal that is pretty realistic.
Garak liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 3:27 a.m.
Is he been bad this year or just kinda there. I got the assumption when he resigned that it was most likely gonna be a repeat year where he's traded but probably less than what nyr gave has he been bad or is he still a serviceable piece for a playoff run?

Braun hasn't been able to stick in the lineup full time under Torts, only playing in 34 games on subpar Philly defense. But he has 0 points in those games with 19 penalty minutes. He isn't the vet anymore that teams need to go out and get for a playoff push. He is a #7 at best that won't get killed if he has to go in on the third pair for 11 minutes a night for a game or two.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 8:49 a.m.
Rashevsky has stated when he was drafted he was going to come over and willing to put in the time in what league he needed to be (ahl most likely) and has 30 points in the khl this year as a 22 year old he has a lot of upside and is a better piece than your giving credit. 3rd and ajf seems like a good amount for domi who Garak said was about his value which maybe he has some different opinion but this is without any retention on him so a 3rd and ajf who has come a long way from being claimed (comparing him to then isn't fair) is on 20 point pave and a young energy guy to replace domi in the lineup and potentially someone to keep

I said Blaisdell was just a throw in if you read the deal he hasn't done much but he's free throw in within this deal so there's no penalty for doing what you want there. He is there to be like "if you want to sign this guy or just see how he'd fit in the depth chart here" he could not be signed but the whole point of adding him is just giving them options better him be included and make the Decision than him not be in the deal. Ajf could be switched with Harkins who has had interest in him with his stints in the ahl.

All in all it's not a perfect deal for either team as Chicago might want more and wpg would ideally keep rashevsky but I feel like that shows that both sides gain and give up assets in this deal which would make the deal work for both sides. I'm not saying this is the best deal that might be available for the 2 of them but it's a deal that is acceptable and both teams could live with which is why I feel like it's a deal that is pretty realistic.

Honestly, I just kinda slapped my response together on your other post, based on what I knew off the top of my head. I didn't really look into it or consider all the facts. I think the more important point of my original response was that, I like Rashevsky WAY more than Chibrikov, and there won't be any retention on Domi for what you were offering. So, yeah, it sucks that the 2nd is in 2024 but the conditions make it a pretty enticing proposition. Yeah, the 3rd round pick should probably be in 2023 and AJF probably won't cut it and should be upgraded to a better prospect, but I think AJF probably has more potential than he is getting credit for.

However, you seem like a decent and reasonable person and I do think my fellow CHI fans are responding with malice where it isn't warranted. Considering all the points they brought up, I don't think the proposal is complete, but it does have the building blocks of a successful trade and isn't as far off as they make it seem. CHI doesn't have to get 2023 picks in EVERY trade. In fact, the more picks you make in a single draft, the lower the probability becomes of those players ever making it to the NHL. Plus, we only have so much roster space, so we need to space out their signing statuses as much as possible. If we can squeeze out 2023 picks in other trades, then we can afford to accept picks in future drafts.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
Honestly, I just kinda slapped my response together on your other post, based on what I knew off the top of my head. I didn't really look into it or consider all the facts. I think the more important point of my original response was that, I like Rashevsky WAY more than Chibrikov, and there won't be any retention on Domi for what you were offering. So, yeah, it sucks that the 2nd is in 2024 but the conditions make it a pretty enticing proposition. Yeah, the 3rd round pick should probably be in 2023 and AJF probably won't cut it and should be upgraded to a better prospect, but I think AJF probably has more potential than he is getting credit for.

However, you seem like a decent and reasonable person and I do think my fellow CHI fans are responding with malice where it isn't warranted. Considering all the points they brought up, I don't think the proposal is complete, but it does have the building blocks of a successful trade and isn't as far off as they make it seem. CHI doesn't have to get 2023 picks in EVERY trade. In fact, the more picks you make in a single draft, the lower the probability becomes of those players ever making it to the NHL. Plus, we only have so much roster space, so we need to space out their signing statuses as much as possible. If we can squeeze out 2023 picks in other trades, then we can afford to accept picks in future drafts.

Yeah the issue is I have no issue giving those picks in 2023 just don't have the 2023 second already and if we did the 2023 3rd and did all 2023 picks our best pick this year would be 2 5ths and a 7th so I feel like it's in the best interest of both to spread out the picks
Garak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll