SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Islanders signed Bo Horvat (8 Years / $8,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 5, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: habitantlecolon
if top 5 faceoff skill, 1,1ppg do not make you 1st liner I don't know tomato about that sport

Having 7 straight 50~point seasons and then 1 1.1 PPG season where at one point you were 1.4 PPG (trending down) doesn't make you a 1st line player. He'll fall back to 50 points and become massively overpaid. He's a 2nd line center.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 5:38 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Damn Lou, could have waited until the TDL to resign him, you know, so you could see how he fits in with the team, maybe use it as leverage to drive the AAV down some.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Question is who is getting moved now.
That plus the trade cost will show how bad this is.

Senile Lou strikes again.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
2nd line center getting 8 years x 8.5 Holy **** that's bad

I can't imagine him signing for less. While I think he's riding a crazy shooting percentage he's on pace for over 50 g and over ppg. He wasn't going to sign as a second line c
Feb. 5, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: BCAPP
I can't imagine him signing for less. While I think he's riding a crazy shooting percentage he's on pace for over 50 g and over ppg. He wasn't going to sign as a second line c

He wasn't going to sign for it because some team is always stupid enough to pay them for it. This time it's the NYI
BCAPP and Knuckl3s liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Chris Peralta
So here is my thing.
For years now, us Islander fans have been complaining that Barzal needs a linemate who matches his style level and playing style, but more importantly someone who scores goals. Eberle was a temporary solution, as he was older, and a bit closer. And the second that Lou goes out and gets a player, after all these years of complaining, everyone is now complaining about the trade. I find it so hypocritical that our fanbase does this. Everyone has to find the negative in everything. I think that it was a good trade, so long as Lou extending Horvat, which he planned on doing. Sure, I would have rather not given up Raty, but it is what it is. Everyone complained we gave too much for Horvat and that we were not going to extend him. Lou extends him, and everyone complains. It's probably the most hypocritical thing ever. I agree that Lou has made some really stupid moves, but come on man. He goes out and gets the player who is 8th in goals, and y'all just complain. I don't get it. Make up your mind.
This was a good signing, and a good trade too. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, we either make the playoffs or fall apart and get the pick for this year. I would also like if Lou traded Pageau and Bailey, but that's just me.
habitantlecolon and Doshee liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
Before the season he’d probably get $6M+ on an 8 year deal, right? I’d say he had a pretty lucrative last 4 months!!!
Feb. 5, 2023 at 7:00 p.m.
Quoting: CapFriendly
[url=/players/bo-horvat]Bo Horvat[/url] has signed a new contract with the New York Islanders.

Honestly, People are overreacting to this. This is because I have yet to see a player who hasn't live up to the 8x8.5M.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 7:40 p.m.
Quoting: VastBluepuppy424
Honestly, People are overreacting to this. This is because I have yet to see a player who hasn't live up to the 8x8.5M.

I hope I am either misunderstanding this or you are being sarcastic...
Feb. 5, 2023 at 7:45 p.m.
This team kills me
Good for Bo, he robbed Lou
Feb. 5, 2023 at 8:48 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Quoting: AndrewLadd

Even Lou knows 😭

If he's not happy with the signing, WHY SIGN HIM???
Trade his early signing rights to get a conditional 1st+ IMO.
This deal could need more than Raty and a 1st to dump in a few years, but let's see. Who knows? Horvat could just keep being a top six center for the rest of his career scoring at least 30G a season.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
Quoting: Hawkisles
You pay premiums for faceoff centers that can play all 200 ft and shoot. It’s not a “steal” of a contract, but it’s worth it.

Horvat is pretty much just as bad defensively as Miller
Knuckl3s liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He wasn't going to sign for it because some team is always stupid enough to pay them for it. This time it's the NYI

Yeah I would never want to be in the situation to sign a guy having a career year when they were consistently at another level prior. So hard to value. But as you say someone will pay. And I really wouldn't want to
Feb. 5, 2023 at 9:03 p.m.
Quoting: TheAlien
Horvat is pretty much just as bad defensively as Miller

It's always weird how some people get credit for being good defensively when they're not. For C's it's often how good they are in the dot I find.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 9:10 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: AK50
If he's not happy with the signing, WHY SIGN HIM???
Trade his early signing rights to get a conditional 1st+ IMO.
This deal could need more than Raty and a 1st to dump in a few years, but let's see. Who knows? Horvat could just keep being a top six center for the rest of his career scoring at least 30G a season.

He was pot committed after making the trade. No way he wasn't going to sign him if at all possible.
Vancouver knew his ask was too much based on an anomalous season in a contract year, which is why they didn't give permission to talk extension. If he was open to a more reasonable deal, they could have gotten more. With these terms, he would have been more in the rental category, as 8x8+ would have deterred at least some offers, possibly lowering the return.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
This is probably the biggest F U to Vancouver and their fans he possibly could have done. Only 500K more than Miller for a guy who could have potentially gone for 10 mill, a captain and a great 2 way player. Isles win the Horvat trade and win this signing in my opinion
Feb. 5, 2023 at 11:34 p.m.
Quoting: ChrisNapoleon
So here is my thing.
For years now, us Islander fans have been complaining that Barzal needs a linemate who matches his style level and playing style, but more importantly someone who scores goals. Eberle was a temporary solution, as he was older, and a bit closer. And the second that Lou goes out and gets a player, after all these years of complaining, everyone is now complaining about the trade. I find it so hypocritical that our fanbase does this. Everyone has to find the negative in everything. I think that it was a good trade, so long as Lou extending Horvat, which he planned on doing. Sure, I would have rather not given up Raty, but it is what it is. Everyone complained we gave too much for Horvat and that we were not going to extend him. Lou extends him, and everyone complains. It's probably the most hypocritical thing ever. I agree that Lou has made some really stupid moves, but come on man. He goes out and gets the player who is 8th in goals, and y'all just complain. I don't get it. Make up your mind.
This was a good signing, and a good trade too. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, we either make the playoffs or fall apart and get the pick for this year. I would also like if Lou traded Pageau and Bailey, but that's just me.

It's the Maple Leaf fanbase knocking their old GM Lou. That is were you are finding the butt hurt comments.

Lou = 5 playoff series victories and 2 Conference Finals.
Dubas = 0 success.

Leaf fans and haters will always knock Lou.
ChrisNapoleon liked this.
Feb. 5, 2023 at 11:37 p.m.
That was quick. Bo must have liked the feel of that Isles jersey over All-Star weekend.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 1:15 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
The rising cap will bail them out of this contract once escrow is paid off and we get it to 90-100 million.

They could have done a lot more with 8.5M in the off season. Just like last year, there should be a lot of good players without 8 years of term that will be available for nothing but cap and minor assets.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 2:19 a.m.
VanFan12
Quoting: Leafsfan98
This is probably the biggest F U to Vancouver and their fans he possibly could have done. Only 500K more than Miller for a guy who could have potentially gone for 10 mill, a captain and a great 2 way player. Isles win the Horvat trade and win this signing in my opinion

Stick to the Leafs... I love Horvat but there is no way he's worth $10 mil. I'd take Miller over Horvat on my team personally.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 7:14 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bestgoalie33
Now, I think it was a good trade for the Isles

Good joke
Feb. 6, 2023 at 7:15 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: KingLundqvist30
Hindsight is 20/20. In a few years this could end up being either a meh contract, or a good one. Hopefully with the cap going up, this will end up being like a 6 million deal today.

I guarantee you that when the cap goes up, not every team will have a 60 something point player makin 8-8.5M against the cap, don't trick yourself into thinking that what we're seeing here is necessarily gonna be par for the course
KingLundqvist30 liked this.
Feb. 6, 2023 at 7:16 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: sensonfire
A good signing is not enough to justify a bad trade.

Also, the funny thing for the Isles is that Pageau and Cizikas are now their #4 and #5 centres respectively.

After Barzal, Horvat and Nelson.

Somebody will have to be moved out.

You don't seriously think this is a good signing
Feb. 6, 2023 at 7:18 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Mstrefe1
Probably would be better if it was a shorter term or less AAV. With both of these? Feels like it's too big a deal. Those last couple of years may really hurt the Isles.

No way a smaller deal was getting done after Horvat's agent could leverage the hefty acquisition cost just to get Horvat against Lou
Feb. 6, 2023 at 7:18 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
It makes the trade on the Islanders side much better but it's not a good look for the general manager who just signed it to come out and criticize it.

It doesn't make the trade on the Islanders end much better if any better at all

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit