Forums/Armchair-GM

2023-24 Post Blockbuster Moves

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2023
Published: Feb. 8, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
In terms of Lindholm's Raise the following season, that will come from Backlund taking a Pay Cut or moving on. Coleman can be Traded at that point too. Could Trade at TDL, Re-Sign or Move-On from Toffoli & Barabanov in favor of Younger Guys
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$9,000,000
2$787,500
2$1,875,000
2$775,000
2$825,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
1$775,000
Trades
SJS
  1. Coronato, Matthew
  2. 2023 1st round pick (CGY)
  3. 2024 4th round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Pieces Already Traded to SJ for Meier & Barabanov
ARI
  1. Kylington, Oliver
  2. Rooney, Kevin
  3. Zary, Connor
  4. 2024 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Pieces Traded to ARI for Chychrun & Bjugstad
CGY
  1. Greer, AJ
  2. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Where And For What, Any Team!?
CGY
  1. Zetterlund, Fabian [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Mangiapane, Andrew
Additional Details:
What Does Mangiapane Return, he could heat up the rest of the Season and be worth a 1st + Prospect
CGY
  1. Bernard-Docker, Jacob [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Tanev, Christopher
Additional Details:
What Does Tanev Return!?
CGY
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (TBL)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Dubé, Dillon
Additional Details:
What Does Dube Return, Maybe a 1st if he heats up the rest of the season
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$81,449,166$0$15,000$2,050,834

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$823,333$823,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
LD
RFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 8, 2023 at 4:48 p.m.
You are not getting Meier for that package, much less Barabanov (who's having a great season) and Meier (who is the biggest fish this TDL and is probably worth something like a first or second + a prospect + a roster player).
Feb. 8, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Feb. 8, 2023 at 5:03 p.m.
Quoting: rosenj
You are not getting Meier for that package, much less Barabanov (who's having a great season) and Meier (who is the biggest fish this TDL and is probably worth something like a first or second + a prospect + a roster player).

This post is the following season (2023-24) to show how the Flames can Re-Acquire some Assets and Fit Meier under the Cap, here's the original post with the actual Trade Proposal for Meier:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3923352

Meier = Fiala who got a 1st + B Prospect. This is a 1st + Top Prospect, honestly add the 4th and it's almost close enough to have Barabanov thrown in, but I added more in the original proposal, including 2 Young Replacement Players/Prospects and Retention on Meier and utilitzing his services for the rest of the season & playoffs is worth consideration as well

Thoughts @MoxNix @TheLand @Ledge_And_Dairy (make sure to check the original post first)
Feb. 8, 2023 at 5:25 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
This post is the following season (2023-24) to show how the Flames can Re-Acquire some Assets and Fit Meier under the Cap, here's the original post with the actual Trade Proposal for Meier:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3923352

Meier = Fiala who got a 1st + B Prospect. This is a 1st + Top Prospect, honestly add the 4th and it's almost close enough to have Barabanov thrown in, but I added more in the original proposal, including 2 Young Replacement Players/Prospects and Retention on Meier and utilitzing his services for the rest of the season & playoffs is worth consideration as well

Thoughts MoxNix TheLand Ledge_And_Dairy (make sure to check the original post first)

Meier will 100% return more than Fiala because he's not being acquired as an RFA, he will still cost less than what Ottawa paid for Cat though.

I'm not a fan, this feels far too EA Sports. Players are human too we cant just traffic them around like this is Britian in the 1700's.

Hanifin for Chychun is a slight statistical upgrade but disrupts synergy (look at how much our team changed last summer to understand that effect). I already covered the trade though
Tanev and Mangiapane should not be considered in moving, you should be able to see by now how much our team falls apart when Tanev doesn't play.
Schenn isn't signing for that cheap.
Poirier is not top 4 ready.
Barabonov for Dube is just looking for greener grass but ones not a pending UFA (Barabonov has 5 more points total and is benefitting from playing 1st PP unit with EK65)
Feb. 8, 2023 at 5:39 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Feb. 8, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Meier will 100% return more than Fiala because he's not being acquired as an RFA, he will still cost less than what Ottawa paid for Cat though.

I'm not a fan, this feels far too EA Sports. Players are human too we cant just traffic them around like this is Britian in the 1700's.

Hanifin for Chychun is a slight statistical upgrade but disrupts synergy (look at how much our team changed last summer to understand that effect). I already covered the trade though
Tanev and Mangiapane should not be considered in moving, you should be able to see by now how much our team falls apart when Tanev doesn't play.
Schenn isn't signing for that cheap.
Poirier is not top 4 ready.
Barabonov for Dube is just looking for greener grass but ones not a pending UFA (Barabonov has 5 more points total and is benefitting from playing 1st PP unit with EK65)

Yeah, I hear ya, but we bring in 4 players this season and move out 4 in the off-season, whichever 4 brings the best returns

Might move Chychrun again instead of Hanifin, but the play here is that Chychrun replaces Hanifin and Weegar replaces Tanev next season. Chychrun is cheaper and has an extra year term. Hanifin will want a big raise and who knows if he wants to stay in CGY. We’re having a tough time keeping American Players and Hanifin hasn’t lead us very far in the playoffs

Could keep Dube instead of Barabanov, but Barabanov is more experienced and a better Playmaker. Both could break out the rest of this season on that top line, as could Ruzicka. Dube hasn’t had very good GA/60 numbers this season at even strength. Barabanov is probably better defensively as well

Love Mang, but we’re paying him Top-6 $$$ to produce and he isn’t producing Top-6 #’s. CGY needs a Star and he’s the biggest $$$ we can move out, especially with Dube, Pelletier or Ruzicka able to step in and produce on that Backlund-Coleman 3rd line. That’s exactly why Mang doesn’t have M-NTC protection until the last 2 seasons of his 3 year contract too

Sutter’s still looking for a Big AND Physical 4C.

I think Poirier is just as good as Kaiden Guhle. Give him a shot, otherwise we have Gilbert still too

Who knows what Schenn will get. He’s not that consistent. If it isn’t Schenn, we can look at Justin Holl, Justin Braun, Nic Meloche or something of the likes. Love Tanev too, but he’s not healthy when we need him to be.

In a Cap World, moves need to be made. It’s not personal, it’s just business.
Feb. 8, 2023 at 6:06 p.m.
Edited Feb. 8, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
Yeah, I hear ya, but we bring in 4 players this season and move out 4 in the off-season, whichever 4 brings the best returns

Might move Chychrun again instead of Hanifin, but the play here is that Chychrun replaces Hanifin and Weegar replaces Tanev next season. Chychrun is cheaper and has an extra year term. Hanifin will want a big raise and who knows if he wants to stay in CGY. We’re having a tough time keeping American Players and Hanifin hasn’t lead us very far in the playoffs

Could keep Dube instead of Barabanov, but Barabanov is more experienced and a better Playmaker. Both could break out the rest of this season on that top line, as could Ruzicka. Dube hasn’t had very good GA/60 numbers this season at even strength. Barabanov is probably better defensively as well

Love Mang, but we’re paying him Top-6 $$$ to produce and he isn’t producing Top-6 #’s. CGY needs a Star and he’s the biggest $$$ we can move out, especially with Dube, Pelletier or Ruzicka able to step in and produce on that Backlund-Coleman 3rd line. That’s exactly why Mang doesn’t have M-NTC protection until the last 2 seasons of his 3 year contract too

Sutter’s still looking for a Big AND Physical 4C.

I think Poirier is just as good as Kaiden Guhle. Give him a shot, otherwise we have Gilbert still too

Who knows what Schenn will get. He’s not that consistent. If it isn’t Schenn, we can look at Justin Holl, Justin Braun, Nic Meloche or something of the likes. Love Tanev too, but he’s not healthy when we need him to be.

In a Cap World, moves need to be made. It’s not personal, it’s just business.

Im not going to argue Chychrun vs Hanifin since that is purely speculation. Im still certain Tkachuk would have stayed if Gaudreau did and Gaudreau left because his wife.

Barabonov absolutely does not have more experience than Dube, Dube's played twice as many NHL games as him. Barabonov has also not been good defensively.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but Mangiapane has been a point per game since the new year and he is notorious for producing highly in the month of February too (not sure why). In 19/20 he had 12 points in 14 games that month, in 20/21 he had 32 points and 11 were just in the 15 February games, last year he had 12 points in 11 games in February.

Guhle is better defensively. Poirier has potential more in line with Chabot but needs to learn how to play defense

Look at what other defense like Schenn got, Gudbranson, Savard, Kulak, Rutta, Maatta, Schultz, etc
Feb. 8, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Feb. 8, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Im not going to argue Chychrun vs Hanifin since that is purely speculation. Im still certain Tkachuk would have stayed if Gaudreau did and Gaudreau left because his wife.

Barabonov absolutely does not have more experience than Dube, Dube's played twice as many NHL games as him. Barabonov has also not been good defensively.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but Mangiapane has been a point per game since the new year and he is notorious for producing highly in the month of February too (not sure why). In 19/20 he had 12 points in 14 games that month, in 20/21 he had 32 points and 11 were just in the 15 February games, last year he had 12 points in 11 games in February.

Guhle is better defensively. Poirier has potential more in line with Chabot but needs to learn how to play defense

Look at what other defense like Schenn got, Gudbranson, Savard, Kulak, Rutta, Maatta, Schultz, etc

You could be right about Tkachuk & Gaudreau. I think Huberdeau replaced Gaudreau and Kadri could replace Tkachuk at 1RW, but everybody wants Kadri kept at Centre, so in that case we still need a Tkachuk replacement and neither Dube or Mang have been/done that and none of the AHL guys have either. At least Pelletier's numbers have been good with Kadri & Huberdeau, but do we really want to put all our eggs in that basket?

If you include Barabanov's time in the KHL, he does and he's put up better numbers than Dube too. Dube's the Better Scorer and Barabanov's the Better Playmaker. Both have shown flashes that they can be 0.80-1.00PPG guys and I think a Left Shot Right Wing would be great for Toffoli & Lindholm (Ruzicka should have been given a look there), but Tarasenko's going to cost too much to acquire and re-sign, so that's how Barabanov came along. Barbashev would be better, but his acquisition price will be high too and he'll sign for closer to $4mil+, like Mikheyev did.

I like Mangiapane a lot and that Mang-Backs-Coleman line is amazing, but honestly, which would you rather have Mangiapane, a 0.51PPG Player @ $5.8mil/yr OR Meier, a 0.71PPG guy at $8-8.5mil/yr... Otherwise I guess we just keep Mang & Dube = TWO 0.50PPG, Coronato and our 2023 1st Rd Pick. I guess will Coronato/Hanifin want to play/stay in Calgary/Canada is my question.

I have high hopes for Poirier & Kuznetsov. Poirier has apparently been working on and shown improvement on his Defensive game, something he was lacking when Drafted, but I think he's catching up to Guhle. Guhle's a Champion and Former Captain though and stepped right in to the NHL, so he's obviously still better. Gilbert and Meloche have been pleasant surprises as well. Mackey & Kylington have really not helped themselves this year unfortunately.

Yes, I completely get and understand Schenn will be in high demand and could bring a good Trade asset, but all of this stems from not wanting to give up Good Picks & Prospects for Rentals. At least Barabanov comes with Term and we'd get a Star in Meier. Why give up a 2nd or 3rd for Schenn when we're not in the playoffs for sure and could try to sign him for free via Free Agency. There'll be other/cheaper options available. Stone, Gilbert and I'm sure Meloche would all do fine, so it's not like we desperately need Schenn, although that would change if Tanev goes down again...
Feb. 9, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
Tanev age and injury history makes me hesitate to do that

JBD should be a reliable defensive RHD for years, not too costly too

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll