Forums/Armchair-GM

Low Cost Moves with High Upside

Created by: gaz
Team: 2022-23 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2023
Published: Feb. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Both players would likely be able to be acquired without giving up key assets (unlike the cost to acquire Meier or any of the other big trade bait names) and have high upside in terms of the fit they'd have on this team. With Toews, he'd fit in perfectly with the team's structure& playing style, could slot in as a true #2 C and having Necas and Svech on his line would force him to keep up his speed to stay in the mix. With Ghost, he'd be a great option to help drive offense from the back end and wouldn't have to be relied on to play big minutes in a top 4 role against the other teams top lines, giving him more flexibility to jump in the rush with these more favorable matchups against bottom-6 lines, especially if paired with Chatfield or DeHaan who could adjust to play the role of a stay-at-home Dman.
Trades
CAR
  1. Toews, Jonathan ($5,250,000 retained)
CHI
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (PHI)
  2. 2024 5th round pick (CAR)
ARI
  1. Coghlan, Dylan
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (PHI)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$81,366,917$112,500$1,000,000$1,133,083

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 2
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 8
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:05 a.m.
Toews will not be THAT low cost.
exo2769 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:07 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
The problem with Toews is going to be whether or not he stays in the play with Svech and Necas speed. He would be a great fit in the system, I have no doubt about that, but his speed will likely hold him back. An ideal move would be moving Necas to 2C, and matching a winger to Svech and Necas speed. But who knows
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:10 a.m.
exo2769
I don't see the Hawks saying yes to that. They'd rather keep him and continue to develop their young guys with him. 3rd and a 5th is blah nothingness.
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:10 a.m.
Even I, who doesn’t think Toews is worth much at this stage, think this is an underpay especially with max retention. I’d still rather go in another direction than guys like Toews or ROR personally even if it costs more.

I do like the ghost move tho.
gaz liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:17 a.m.
jeremy clackston
Arizona says yes if another thing is added. Ghost should be a hot commodity at the deadline. A fourth probably does it although the market might push it to a third
vikhodush and gaz liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:32 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
The problem with Toews is going to be whether or not he stays in the play with Svech and Necas speed. He would be a great fit in the system, I have no doubt about that, but his speed will likely hold him back. An ideal move would be moving Necas to 2C, and matching a winger to Svech and Necas speed. But who knows

In the long term I can definitely see Necas being moved to the middle but for this year I don't think Rod will make that switch (especially if Necas is still struggling in the circle). Ideally if they did trade for Toews, playing with the two young guns would force him to keep up and you'd see his game play up to that level similarly to how Stastny's game and footspeed improved when playing between those guys earlier this year.
evelutions2 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:34 a.m.
Would think Toews should at least net a 2nd plus prospect. Maybe something like 2nd + Suzuki/Bokk or a higher end prospect even (Drury) plus 3rd or 4th

Toews would be my preferred rental acquisition at C, if they end up not going after one with term (Henrique or Hayes come to mind here). I actually like the idea of Hayes (with at least $1.5M retention best).

Then getting any of those guys at C also leaves them some room for taking a shot at Puljujarvi or similar depth piece plus a depth D.
gaz and fullblowncaniac90 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:34 a.m.
Quoting: Garak
Toews will not be THAT low cost.

I mean Toews controls where he goes so that limits what you're going to get in return since he'll narrow that list down to only a few select teams at the most. Realistically, what do you think he'll bring back in a trade where he's determining who the Hawks can negotiate with?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:38 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Quoting: gaz
In the long term I can definitely see Necas being moved to the middle but for this year I don't think Rod will make that switch (especially if Necas is still struggling in the circle). Ideally if they did trade for Toews, playing with the two young guns would force him to keep up and you'd see his game play up to that level similarly to how Stastny's game and footspeed improved when playing between those guys earlier this year.

Assuming that’s the case, it really depends on whether or not he will waive his NMC for Carolina. I think he would, since he has stated he wants to win and doesn’t want to stick around for the rebuild. But how many other teams would he waive for, cause if Toews is Carolina or bust, much like the Giroux scenario, that price probably works, but if he is willing to waive for others, it is probably a 2nd and 3rd that gets it done.
gaz liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:39 a.m.
Quoting: vikhodush
Even I, who doesn’t think Toews is worth much at this stage, think this is an underpay especially with max retention. I’d still rather go in another direction than guys like Toews or ROR personally even if it costs more.

I do like the ghost move tho.

I don't see ROR as a practical target given how Blues fans seem to value him at a 1st +. To me, he's not worth a first, let alone adding more in addition to a first at this stage of his career, especially when you're only getting him for 20ish regular season games and then however long you go in the postseason. Plus ROR has expressed his desire to not leave St. Louis in a deadline trade and I'd think the team may oblige and sign him to a short term extension to finish his career.
vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:48 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I don't see the Hawks saying yes to that. They'd rather keep him and continue to develop their young guys with him. 3rd and a 5th is blah nothingness.

It's more than you'd get when he potentially leaves in free agency and it helps the Hawks tank for Bedard. Because he controls which team he'll waive the NMC to go to, this likely diminishes the value in a trade by a bit.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:48 a.m.
I mean Toews controls where he goes so that limits what you're going to get in return since he'll narrow that list down to only a few select teams at the most. Realistically, what do you think he'll bring back in a trade where he's determining who the Hawks can negotiate with?

The currently speculated price is already calculated with those variables in mind. If the market for him were wide open, he would probably be worth a late 1st round pick and maybe slightly more, like a B prospect or something. Teams might already be willing to pay that if he allows multiple teams to be involved.
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:01 a.m.
Billy739
Larkin nor Toews is willing to give up the Captaincy to Joe Thorton after a cup.
Both have done interviews expressing their desire to lead the youth in a rebuild.

I think CHI GM is smart enough to let him stay know he can get him on a below market contract so Toews can play on his terms.
Larkin is on a team at the end of their rebuild , no upside to moving him either for DET unless he wants to leave , where he does not.

Even if Toews did want to leave it would be as you said on his terms.
CAR isnt in a position to offer him what he needs but COL TML and NYR all are.
CAR minutes wise isnt ideal for a guy like Toews who has a lot of Pride in his play
CAR would Domi him and i think Domi would advise him against CAR

Smartest play for him would be COL as its built solid
TML on paper looks the best but in practice always fall in the 1st round.
NYR makes sense but only if he planned on re-signing

But it all comes back to him not wanting to give up being Captain of an Original 6 team he's played his long and successfull career on.
Like a Shane Doan i think he's willing to take less to do things on his terms and retire on the same team he started with
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:02 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Garak
The currently speculated price is already calculated with those variables in mind. If the market for him were wide open, he would probably be worth a late 1st round pick and maybe slightly more, like a B prospect or something. Teams might already be willing to pay that if he allows multiple teams to be involved.

Claude Giroux Rules though with the exception unlike Giroux he doesnt even have 1 team not named CHI he wants to consider.
If he wasnt Captain , maybe but at this point in his career that holds a lot of value and weight
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:05 a.m.
exo2769
It's more than you'd get when he potentially leaves in free agency and it helps the Hawks tank for Bedard. Because he controls which team he'll waive the NMC to go to, this likely diminishes the value in a trade by a bit.

Saying "it's more than UFA" is irrelevant. Tanking doesn't mean giving up on your current prospect's development track. Having a veteran on the team to help those prospects understand what the day in / day out is supposed to be is quite important. It's more important that a 3rd and 5th round pick. a 3rd and 5th are nothingness. Hawks would rather keep Toews than have the 3rd and 5th.

PLUS, KD's already proven that what I've outlined is how he works. Last year this time he kept, Kubalik, Strome, DeHaan (all of whom left the Hawks) because he didn't find trade partners that provided value for those pieces. Quite Specifically his quote.

“If the value’s not met, then you value the player more than anyone else,” Davidson said. “So we’re happy with the players that are here. We value them more than other teams around the league, clearly. We’re happy they’re still with the Blackhawks.” ~Kyle Davidson
Garak and SociallyHawkward liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:06 a.m.
I don't see ROR as a practical target given how Blues fans seem to value him at a 1st +. To me, he's not worth a first, let alone adding more in addition to a first at this stage of his career, especially when you're only getting him for 20ish regular season games and then however long you go in the postseason. Plus ROR has expressed his desire to not leave St. Louis in a deadline trade and I'd think the team may oblige and sign him to a short term extension to finish his career.

I get it but what fans on here think versus reality could be wildly different. I see ROR and Toews very similarly and given the season ROR has had I think the return would be hampered by that depending on retention. Where it could get juiced is he doesn’t have any trade protection so he could get bid up in that regard. Could be a win win for the blues if they move him, give him a chance for a cup and he returns in offseason.

Either way I’m hoping canes steer clear of both of these guys.
gaz liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:08 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Billy739
Claude Giroux Rules though with the exception unlike Giroux he doesnt even have 1 team not named CHI he wants to consider.
If he wasnt Captain , maybe but at this point in his career that holds a lot of value and weight

Where are you getting this source? I haven't heard Toews is refusing a trade so far. I've been listening to his comments and both he and Kaner are kinda understanding that they're about to be traded. sure they have control and IF they decide not to...they can stay AND SHOULD BE WELCOME TO STAY. It just doesn't sound like either of them is going to stay.
vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:09 a.m.
Larkin nor Toews is willing to give up the Captaincy to Joe Thorton after a cup.
Both have done interviews expressing their desire to lead the youth in a rebuild.

I think CHI GM is smart enough to let him stay know he can get him on a below market contract so Toews can play on his terms.
Larkin is on a team at the end of their rebuild , no upside to moving him either for DET unless he wants to leave , where he does not.

CAR minutes wise isnt ideal for a guy like Toews who has a lot of Pride in his play

But it all comes back to him not wanting to give up being Captain of an Original 6 team he's played his long and successfull career on.
Like a Shane Doan i think he's willing to take less to do things on his terms and retire on the same team he started with

Don’t really get your first and third points about CAR not being in a position to get what he needs and Domi advising him against it.

CAR has a pretty open slot in 2C to play plenty of minutes and be a leader in the playoffs. Domi constantly said how much he liked it here and loved playing for RBA.

These are tired narratives.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.

None of the three teams you mentioned have the cap space to bring in Toews as it stands currently. Toronto will likely go for a defenseman, not a forward in all likelihood and would have to move money out. Colorado has Landeskog coming back in the near future so I'm not sure how they'd fit Toews in tho center is an area of potential need for them. The Rangers would go for Kane over Toews and they also are tight on cap room and have their top 3 centers (Zibanejad, Trocheck, and Chytil) already so I'm not sure where you're going with that when you talk about him not wanting to play down the lineup. The whole point of CAR bringing in a player like Toews would be to play him as 2C so KK can play as 4C and give the team good depth down the middle. The reason Domi played primarily on the 4th line last year was cause he was playing as a winger and was alternating with Necas for 2nd line reps during the playoffs, so the comparison to Domi isn't a 1 for 1. Additionally, I don't think Toews wants to stick around for a 5+ year rebuild from comments he's said in the past, he's stated he wants a chance to win again.
vikhodush and Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:24 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Toews hasn’t had upside for a while
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:29 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2

Like Timo Meier. I still think he'd be a perfect long term fit in this system.
vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Caniac555
Toews hasn’t had upside for a while

What do you define as upside? Is he a Hart candidate? No, but not 1 single player at the TDL is. Not even Meier or Horvat. Toews is a 50-60 point center that leads the league in faceoff% and plays a 2-way game. That's pretty dang good. He'd easily be CAR's #2C by a long shot. Right now it's KK and there's ALOT he needs to prove even with his 4 game scoring stint.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Respectfully to Toews, the post said low cost high upside. I don’t see someone who can come in a hold down a middle six center
Spot as high upside.

Quoting: exo2769
What do you define as upside? Is he a Hart candidate? No, but not 1 single player at the TDL is. Not even Meier or Horvat. Toews is a 50-60 point center that leads the league in faceoff% and plays a 2-way game. That's pretty dang good. He'd easily be CAR's #2C by a long shot. Right now it's KK and there's ALOT he needs to prove even with his 4 game scoring stint.
exo2769 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.
Unless Toews insisted on this and refused to waive for any other team, lol. A third round pick is the rough equivalent of a bag of pucks in this league, it wouldn't even be worth it to make this deal.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:38 a.m.
Billy739
None of the three teams you mentioned have the cap space to bring in Toews as it stands currently. Toronto will likely go for a defenseman, not a forward in all likelihood and would have to move money out. Colorado has Landeskog coming back in the near future so I'm not sure how they'd fit Toews in tho center is an area of potential need for them. The Rangers would go for Kane over Toews and they also are tight on cap room and have their top 3 centers (Zibanejad, Trocheck, and Chytil) already so I'm not sure where you're going with that when you talk about him not wanting to play down the lineup. The whole point of CAR bringing in a player like Toews would be to play him as 2C so KK can play as 4C and give the team good depth down the middle. The reason Domi played primarily on the 4th line last year was cause he was playing as a winger and was alternating with Necas for 2nd line reps during the playoffs, so the comparison to Domi isn't a 1 for 1. Additionally, I don't think Toews wants to stick around for a 5+ year rebuild from comments he's said in the past, he's stated he wants a chance to win again.

Did not say they did , dont care if they do
Toews has a Full NMC the discussion was where he'd go or what it would take for him to leave.
This summer he was talking in an interview about this timeline with the TDL approaching and his emphasis was on retiring in CHI as Captain.
Unless one of those teams step up he's not going to Domi himself on a CAR team because he has full control and isnt in a position where he needs to.

Its Doan all over again where eveyone though he fought for the NMC not to excersize it
While Kane's still a top guys Toews is settling into a Role Model/Leadership role which for him a Rebuilding CHI is a chance at building his legacy or building on it anyways.
If he spends his final years like Jumbo Joe Thorton chasing and failing to win cups it diminishes him .

All excuses aside CAR isnt even being considered anymore then MTL is
Atleast our fans are rational enough not to see this as a slight on MTL but rather a personal choice by a player who has that right.
CAR is a great team and many players are gonna want to take lowball insulting offers just to get a shot at the playoffs which CAR offers.
But Toews isnt one of them and nothing you've said contradicts his and his agents actions to date.
There's no examples like with Kane about him wanting to pursue a cup or anything like that with verified sources to back them.

Arguing Landeskog is a Center says you dont know other systems well
Landeskog is probably the best Secondary Center or Winger who takes Faceoffs in the NHL.
He helps break in Mckinnon's ,Newhooks and helps take good players like Kadri and make them Superstars.

Landerskog runs Left side top 6 and Rantanen runs Right side top 6
Lehkonen and Nichuskin player either side as needed but primarily AL on LW and VN on RW
Mckinnon and Kadri ran Center until this year now its Mckinnon and Compher hence their desire to upgrade at the TDL their 2nd C.

The thing about your logic is it snowballs getting away from the original question or statement .
You just spew a bunch of points you think are counter arguments in the hopes someone wont go through them and call BS like asseting Landeskog is a Center or their LW isnt desperate for him to return right now as without him Compher is just a Winger playing Center. They've needed to replace Kadri all year there is a million articles on it but you're playing dumb insisting they arent after Toews /a center?

I get why you have only 7 likes now

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll