All Eyes On Zadina

Created by: IDKtbh
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 9, 2023
Published: Feb. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Wow, Dominik Kubalik a healthy scratch… who woulda thunk it…. 🫠

I’m not gonna lie, this is one of the first/few times I am actually excited to see Zadina back on the ice and hopeful this stint will be his best hockey of his young career.

Outside of his scoring woes, Zadina has slowly but surely improved every other aspect of his game. Since the Colorado game at home last year I’ve seen a ton of good things in his game; he’s been a good puck pusher offensively, stronger on the puck, his forechecking has improved admirably, very active stick and his effort/work ethic has always been there.

He’s a slightly higher skilled version of Joe Veleno and if he can get on the scoresheet somewhat consistently, he’ll be in the lineup the rest of the year with a top 9 role.

Btw, I am dying to see a Bertuzzi, Copp, Perron line, Maatta back with Hronek and Berggren on the top line - Hope we see at least one of those things happen tonight.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$68,573,056$0$3,775,000$13,926,944
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,375,000$2,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,825,000$1,825,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Kubalik got off to a great start. But his play has really tailed off. He can shoot the puck but other than that he's meh. Zadina has missed a lot of time. I'm not expecting much from him. He works hard and has really improved defensively. But he just can't score at the NHL level.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 6:56 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Kubalik got off to a great start. But his play has really tailed off. He can shoot the puck but other than that he's meh. Zadina has missed a lot of time. I'm not expecting much from him. He works hard and has really improved defensively. But he just can't score at the NHL level.

Kubalik certainly go off to a “hot” start offensively; I wouldn’t have called it “great” by any means. May have been unexpected in terms of his numbers but, there were major holes in his game from the start but, his production balanced it out.

Without the production, he’s a serious liability.

He fans on like 50% of his one timer attempts, which is pretty pathetic to me. All of the positives I mentioned in Zadina’s game; Kubalik does NONE of. His game outside of his sporadic offense makes me want to throw up.

Majority of Wings’ fans on here battle me when it comes to how hard I am on Kubalik but, being a healthy scratch tonight should be an eye opener for those folks.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Quoting: IDKtbh
Kubalik certainly go off to a “hot” start offensively; I wouldn’t have called it “great” by any means. May have been unexpected in terms of his numbers but, there were major holes in his game from the start but, his production balanced it out.

Without the production, he’s a serious liability.

He fans on like 50% of his one timer attempts, which is pretty pathetic to me. All of the positives I mentioned in Zadina’s game; Kubalik does NONE of. His game outside of his sporadic offense makes me want to throw up.

Majority of Wings’ fans on here battle me when it comes to how hard I am on Kubalik but, being a healthy scratch tonight should be an eye opener for those folks.

It wouldn't bother me if Kubalik were traded on deadline day. It certainly was a great start for him. But water always finds it's level. Zadina is a bust. There's no evidence to suggest he isn't.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:02 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
It wouldn't bother me if Kubalik were traded on deadline day. It certainly was a great start for him. But water always finds it's level. Zadina is a bust. There's no evidence to suggest he isn't.

The evidence is all of the qualities to his game that I mentioned in this post. If you disagree with that assessment, I would recommend watching him do other things besides score.

I suppose Joe Veleno is a bust in your eyes too?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:09 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Quoting: IDKtbh
The evidence is all of the qualities to his game that I mentioned in this post. If you disagree with that assessment, I would recommend watching him do other things besides score.

I suppose Joe Veleno is a bust in your eyes too?

It's quite obvious you're not a Red Wings fan. More like a troll. You're just taking your latest temper tantrum. Ignore list you go.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
It's quite obvious you're not a Red Wings fan. More like a troll. You're just taking your latest temper tantrum. Ignore list you go.

A temper tantrum? Are you incapable of having someone disagree with you?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:33 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers

What this really meant was “let me block this guy before I get proven wrong in a couple hours”.

Sad, really.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:17 p.m.
Banned

I have to agree with IDKTBH. Zadina does a lot of things well. The play that lead to his goal tonight was a fantastic read, and not a play that an AHLer would make. I'll concede that he has been snake bitten on shots. Really odd since his 1st 2 broken seasons his shot looked a lot better. If Zadina wasn't so highly thought of at the draft, and he was a 3rd round pick, we'd all be pretty happy with the results, and we'd still be hopeful his game would get better. There's still plenty of time. Look at Tage Thompson if you don't think young players can go from bust to stud overnight.
IDKtbh and Kyriakos_Grizzly liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Edited Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:24 p.m.
Quoting: tonyhzs
I have to agree with IDKTBH. Zadina does a lot of things well. The play that lead to his goal tonight was a fantastic read, and not a play that an AHLer would make. I'll concede that he has been snake bitten on shots. Really odd since his 1st 2 broken seasons his shot looked a lot better. If Zadina wasn't so highly thought of at the draft, and he was a 3rd round pick, we'd all be pretty happy with the results, and we'd still be hopeful his game would get better. There's still plenty of time. Look at Tage Thompson if you don't think young players can go from bust to stud overnight.

Well Zadina did look good shooting the puck into an empty net. I can't wait until he turns into Tage Thompson.

26 goals in 170 games. 👍

When you're drafted 6th overall you're expected to achieve much more than a career high 10 goal season.

He was drafted to score goals. He hasn't scored very many goals.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:11 a.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Quoting: tonyhzs

Don’t waste ur breath, this guy doesn’t know how to understand hockey unless a goal is scored. All of the things I mentioned that Zadina has done well, he exemplified tonight, had a terrific game from top to bottom and was rewarded with a goal.

I had a feeling he would score tonight while watching the pregame skate, he had an energy to him which peaked my excitement for tonight’s game.

That guy doesn’t know anything about hockey. Let him be a hypocrite and call people trolls when he just might be the biggest troll on this site and probably a terrible human being.
Kyriakos_Grizzly liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 11:15 a.m.

Patience. Take a look at the 2018 draft and tell me how many guys from the 1st round are legit NHL players already. Yzerman also signed Zadina to a three-year deal for a reason.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:58 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Edited Feb. 10, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
Quoting: Kyriakos_Grizzly
Patience. Take a look at the 2018 draft and tell me how many guys from the 1st round are legit NHL players already. Yzerman also signed Zadina to a three-year deal for a reason.

Patience? He was drafted 5 years ago. Uh Quinn Hughes and Noah Dobson? Dahlin, Svechnikov and Tkachuk? Evan Bouchard? Wahlstrom?

Bad take by you. The excuses for Zadina have to stop.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Patience? He was drafted 5 years ago. Uh Quinn Hughes and Noah Dobson? Dahlin, Svechnikov and Tkachuk? Evan Bouchard?

Why don’t you have the same energy for Berggren & Veleno?
Kyriakos_Grizzly liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Patience? He was drafted 5 years ago. Uh Quinn Hughes and Noah Dobson? Dahlin, Svechnikov and Tkachuk? Evan Bouchard?

So you believe that Zadina has reached his full potential at the age of 23?

Players who were "Busts" before this season: Tolvanen, Frost, Tippet, Chytil, Dach, Rasmussen, Glass, Kostin, Vilardi... Now all of them are part of their teams futures. Only matter of time before Zadina starts producing as well.
IDKtbh liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Kyriakos_Grizzly
So you believe that Zadina has reached his full potential at the age of 23?

Players who were "Busts" before this season: Tolvanen, Frost, Tippet, Chytil, Dach, Rasmussen, Glass, Kostin, Vilardi... Now all of them are part of their teams futures. Only matter of time before Zadina starts producing as well.

Don't forget Nichuskin, who is possibly the best Zadina comparable in terms of draft pedigree fails.

I'm not saying Zadina will be an all-star, but he will be a decent NHLer as a floor. Zadina is at least a useful player, as opposed to a true bust like Zherdev or Hugh Jessiman.

Not all players develop at the same pace, and not all players, rather most players, reach their ceiling. Larkin has not reached his ceiling from when he was drafted and we saw his rookie year...but he is a fine NHLer.
IDKtbh and Kyriakos_Grizzly liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
Banned
Well Zadina did look good shooting the puck into an empty net. I can't wait until he turns into Tage Thompson.

26 goals in 170 games. 👍

When you're drafted 6th overall you're expected to achieve much more than a career high 10 goal season.

He was drafted to score goals. He hasn't scored very many goals.

You are right, he did look good putting the puck I to an empty net. It was his positioning, skating, and passing that allowed him such an easy shot. It is much harder to get a goalie out of the way than to shoot a 5hole or upper 90.
IDKtbh liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll