SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

What it will take for Dumba/Brodin for the teams(in my understanding) interested

Created by: Wildfan5611
Team: 2017-18 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 10, 2017
Published: Jun. 10, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are the MAIN pieces, not necessarily the only pieces in trades that would involve Matt Dumba or Jonas Brodin. Most of these trades would not be 1 for 1, picks and other players would most likely be involved. From my understanding, the main teams interested in acquiring a Wild defenseman are Dallas, Tampa Bay, Boston, and in some cases Montreal. In the trades I will list Dumba and Brodin. That means Dumba OR Brodin, not both. I've seen so many trades where people are undervaluing Brodin and Dumba. They are former top 10 picks with several years of playing on a perennial playoff team. Brodin has played in Minnesota's top 4 since he was 19. The value on these players are extremely high and the ball is completely in Minnesota's hands. If a proper trade cannot be made, I strongly believe the Wild will offer a prospect or pick in addition to Zucker to Vegas so they leave the defenseman alone.

--

Leave feedback below. Thanks for checking this out!
Trades
MIN
    RFA Jonathan Drouin
    TBL
      Dumba OR Brodin
      MIN
        RFA Alex Galchenyuk
        MTL
          Dumba OR Brodin
          BOS
            Dumba OR Brodin
            MIN
            1. 2017 1st round pick (DAL)
            DAL
              Dumba OR Brodin
              Buyouts
              DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
              Logo of the DAL
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the ARI
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              Logo of the MIN
              ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
              16$73,000,000$58,181,091$0$320,000$14,818,909
              Left WingCentreRight Wing
              $7,538,462$7,538,462
              LW
              NMC
              UFA - 8
              $6,750,000$6,750,000
              C
              NMC
              UFA - 1
              $2,000,000$2,000,000
              LW, RW
              UFA - 1
              $3,500,000$3,500,000
              C
              M-NTC
              UFA - 2
              $5,600,000$5,600,000
              RW
              M-NTC, NMC
              UFA - 2
              $3,200,000$3,200,000
              C, RW
              UFA - 3
              $1,150,000$1,150,000
              RW, LW
              UFA - 1
              $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
              C
              UFA - 2
              Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
              $7,538,462$7,538,462
              LD
              NMC
              UFA - 8
              $5,187,500$5,187,500
              RD
              M-NTC
              UFA - 3
              $2,166,667$2,166,667
              G
              M-NTC
              UFA - 4
              $2,000,000$2,000,000
              LD
              UFA - 3
              $2,550,000$2,550,000
              RD
              UFA - 1
              $650,000$650,000
              G
              UFA - 2
              $4,166,667$4,166,667
              LD
              UFA - 4
              $789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
              RD
              UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
              • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 3:07 p.m.
              You have completely NO chance at achieving the value you you covet above! Vegas would simply pick off the available Dman and then flip him for the best available offer! B prospect and perhaps a 2nd rounder is all Minny or ANY of the teams with an abundance of Dmen can hope to expect! So far. . . . nothing to suggest that Vegas is stupid!
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.
              Id love for you to explain to me why Jonas Brodin's value is "extremely high"
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 3:48 p.m.
              Wildfan5611
              Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

Gee I don't know, maybe because he's a 23 year old top 4 defenseman on every team in the league other than Nashville. He is signed at $4.1 through 2020-21 and already has 5 years under his belt in the playoffs. Defenseman are extremely valuable in the league right now. Look at Hall for Larsson. If Adam Larsson can fetch a return that big, why can't Brodin? For what's it's worth, all I've seen on Bruins fans posts are Spooner or Hayes or 18th overall, and that is not nearly enough. I may be wrong and we all have our opinions and obviously hometown fans will probably value their players more...
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 3:55 p.m.
              Wildfan5611
              Quoting: Doug7004
              You have completely NO chance at achieving the value you you covet above! Vegas would simply pick off the available Dman and then flip him for the best available offer! B prospect and perhaps a 2nd rounder is all Minny or ANY of the teams with an abundance of Dmen can hope to expect! So far. . . . nothing to suggest that Vegas is stupid!

Like I noted in the descripition, Brodin and Dumba are not the only pieces in these hypothetical trades. Especially in the Drouin or 3OA trade other pieces would be involved. I am simply laying the baseline for trade discussion. Friedman's 30 thoughts today suggested Vatanen or Brodin/Dumba could fetch Drouin. If Larsson can get Hall, I have no reason to believe that Brodin and Dumba are worth B level prospects or a 2nd in a weak draft. Like Wild GM and AGM have said, if they can't get value back for these pieces there is no need to move them. Deals can be negotiated with VGK to take a Zucker, or Staal, or Coyle and leave the defense alone. Trust me, Brodin or Dumba will not be thrown away for a B level prospect or 2nd round pick.
              nobody liked this.
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 4:10 p.m.
              Edited Jun. 10, 2017 at 4:20 p.m.
              Quoting: Wildfan5611

Gee I don't know, maybe because he's a 23 year old top 4 defenseman on every team in the league other than Nashville. He is signed at $4.1 through 2020-21 and already has 5 years under his belt in the playoffs. Defenseman are extremely valuable in the league right now. Look at Hall for Larsson. If Adam Larsson can fetch a return that big, why can't Brodin? For what's it's worth, all I've seen on Bruins fans posts are Spooner or Hayes or 18th overall, and that is not nearly enough. I may be wrong and we all have our opinions and obviously hometown fans will probably value their players more...

Ok first, I never even mentioned anything about boston but you felt you needed to bring in up. You also mention this" 5 years under his belt in the playoffs". Minnesota was out in the first round 3 times and second round twice and his numbers were horrendous so we'll just forget those. Hes only managed to play only 68 games per season over the last 2 seasons. Now, the Hall for Larsson comparison. Over the last 3 seasons Larsson's numbers are better than Brodin's its that simple. If were just talking 1 for 1 trades there's not a chance Minnesota gets anything close to a player like Taylor Hall. No GM is as crazy as Chiarelli
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 4:15 p.m.
              DonnySweens
              Vegas will take either Dumba or Brodin, who ever isnt protected for nothing. The Wild's bets play (unless they can land Drouin which I dont think is likely) is to trade Brodin for draft picks (similar to the Dougie Hamilton deal two years back)... Mutliple high end draft picks, or a combo of expansion exempt prospects and a first round pick is the best and more realistic move.

Ironically, I think Boston is the best fit. Boston can send #18 overall, along with Zboril/Lauzon, & another B-prospect Forward (Spooner if the Wild want him, or maybe a young winger as well).

Wild fans keep saying no when broached about deals above, saying Zboril wouldnt crack their top 6 LHD in the system, etc.... Bottom Line: Better to get a 1st round pick back, add a guy who will be playing every night within 2 years, and also getting another younger F - than losing Brodin for nothing....
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 4:31 p.m.

You can't get into an argument with Wild fans about this. What you don't understand is that Brodin plays for the Wild and that makes him better. He is average offensively, and maybe above average defensively depending on the person, he doesn't do anything special, but for some reason Brodin and Dumba can fetch crazy returns.
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.
              Edited Jun. 10, 2017 at 5:12 p.m.
              Quoting: jccamps18

You can't get into an argument with Wild fans about this. What you don't understand is that Brodin plays for the Wild and that makes him better. He is average offensively, and maybe above average defensively depending on the person, he doesn't do anything special, but for some reason Brodin and Dumba can fetch crazy returns.

wasnt really looking for a crazy argument....more of just a reason why he values brodin so high. But i got what i expected
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 4:53 p.m.
              Tampa trade makes no sense for Minny. Where does Drouin play, and how do the Wild pay Granlund, Nino, and Drouin? How does Tampa afford Brodin at $4.1m?
              MTL trade, puts MTL in a bind for their expansion draft and d-men. One of Weber, Petry (NMC), Beaulieu, Brodin (from trade). If Chucky is a wing and not a center then he's not much use for the Wild. If Chucky is a center then MTL needs to keep him.
              Bos trade makes no sense from their PoV: Chara/McAvoy, Krug/Carlo pairing without the trade; Krug/Dumba pair is a disaster waiting to happen; Krug/Brodin is a more expensive Krug/Carlo.
              Dallas trade is a division trade, makes it unlikely.
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
              Oilers fan ? Nuge for Dumba?
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 5:30 p.m.

Brodin is the best skater on the Wild, has good outlet/breakout passes, shutdown d-man, plays both right and left sides equally well, he's rarely caught out of position. He currently is a Suter-lite, with the potential to almost meet that level of play. He has the same effortless looking style as Suter. He's on a decent contract, and would be worth signing another longterm deal when his current one expires.

His ozone abilities are under-rated, he's been put on babysitting duties or shutdown roles the last few seasons. This was his first year out of the Yeo defense first and always, take no chances philosophy.

His shot is average, so that could use some work. He needs to gain confidence in the o-zone. When he has that confidence it's like flipping a switch with how involved he is in the o-zone. He is a decent point man on the PP, not going to score a lot of goals, but will keep the PP moving and not bog/slow it down needlessly.

He's a similar player to Larsson, just lacks the physical play Larsson has.

That's the value MN fans see in Brodin.
              futurehofer liked this.
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.
              Quoting: wabit

Brodin is the best skater on the Wild, has good outlet/breakout passes, shutdown d-man, plays both right and left sides equally well, he's rarely caught out of position. He currently is a Suter-lite, with the potential to almost meet that level of play. He has the same effortless looking style as Suter. He's on a decent contract, and would be worth signing another longterm deal when his current one expires.

His ozone abilities are under-rated, he's been put on babysitting duties or shutdown roles the last few seasons. This was his first year out of the Yeo defense first and always, take no chances philosophy.

His shot is average, so that could use some work. He needs to gain confidence in the o-zone. When he has that confidence it's like flipping a switch with how involved he is in the o-zone. He is a decent point man on the PP, not going to score a lot of goals, but will keep the PP moving and not bog/slow it down needlessly.

I know the kind of player he is but thanks for the insight. I just dont see this extremely high value that wildfan5611 insists of. Im just some guy on the internet so what do i know? We'll just have to see how it all unfolds
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 6:04 p.m.
              Wildfan5611

I know the kind of player he is but thanks for the insight. I just dont see this extremely high value that wildfan5611 insists of. Im just some guy on the internet so what do i know? We'll just have to see how it all unfolds

I wasn't trying to argue with you and I apologize if that's how I came across. My point being is with the high demand for young defensemen with term, Brodin is extremely valuable in that sense. Is he the best defenseman on Minnesota? Nope. Is he the best defenseman on any team in the league? Nope. I am just trying to say that in this scenario with expansion there is going to be a lot of trades and some that may not make sense to the naked eye. I won't be surprised for a deal similar to one of these go down, but like you said we'll just have to see how it unfolds.
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 6:11 p.m.
              Wildfan5611
              Tampa trade makes no sense for Minny. Where does Drouin play, and how do the Wild pay Granlund, Nino, and Drouin? How does Tampa afford Brodin at $4.1m?
              MTL trade, puts MTL in a bind for their expansion draft and d-men. One of Weber, Petry (NMC), Beaulieu, Brodin (from trade). If Chucky is a wing and not a center then he's not much use for the Wild. If Chucky is a center then MTL needs to keep him.
              Bos trade makes no sense from their PoV: Chara/McAvoy, Krug/Carlo pairing without the trade; Krug/Dumba pair is a disaster waiting to happen; Krug/Brodin is a more expensive Krug/Carlo.
              Dallas trade is a division trade, makes it unlikely.

Look all I'm doing here is laying the table for discussion. I'm not suggesting any of these trades it's just hypothetical baseline trades from what I've come across through Russo, Friedman and some internet searching. Like I said in the description I do not believe any of these to be a 1 for 1, these are simply that main pieces involved in the trades. I agree with every single one of your points here, other than where does Drouin play in Minnesota. If Wild acquire Drouin I'm fairly confident they can find a spot for him to play. laugh
              Jun. 10, 2017 at 6:13 p.m.
              Wildfan5611
              Quoting: oilnate
              Oilers fan ? Nuge for Dumba?

Although I would love that deal, that ship has sailed. The money doesn't work for Minnesota, and unless the Wild did some serious shuffling prior to a deal like that it couldn't happen.

To create a post please Login or Register
              Question:
              Options:
              Add Option
              Submit Poll