Forums/Armchair-GM

Vilardi should be a core piece for Chychrun

Created by: Playersoverpayed
Team: 2022-23 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 13, 2023
Published: Feb. 13, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
ARI wanted 3 equivalents of 1st round picks before.

Arizona wanted Vilardi before. Now his price might be the highest in years and teams want to have 6ft2-6ft3 right-shot centers in their lineups. He mainly plays RW, but his natural position is C. Due to his age and expectations on his next contract to be relatively inexpensive, he is worth top 15 overall Draft pick on a most years.
So far Turcotte has not being able to live with his high Draft position, but still has a year on his ELC ahead and is equivalent of late 1st round prospect/project.
Walker's value is probably 6th round pick, at the most 5th round pick. He is worth less than Megna, but his value is still not negative. He enters the equation for financial purposes and as a part of retaining something for Draft pick not being in the 2023.

2024 pick is top 10 protected.
Trades
Buyouts
Termination Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$79,135,000$637,500$3,900,000$3,365,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,875,000$7,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,675,000$1,675,000
C
RFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,900,000$2,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RD
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 13, 2023 at 2:54 a.m.
If you want Vilardi, you don't also get Turcotte and a 1st. Guys like Turcotte, Spence, Grans, etc. have less value because they are entirely potential, and have yet to find success in the NHL. Vilardi has found that success and is having a breakout year. Like Chychrun, he is also signed to an incredibly team-friendly contract considering the production he brings.

So I can see Vilardi + Turcotte or Vilardi + 1st for Chychrun. You don't get both assets.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 3:09 a.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
If you want Vilardi, you don't also get Turcotte and a 1st. Guys like Turcotte, Spence, Grans, etc. have less value because they are entirely potential, and have yet to find success in the NHL. Vilardi has found that success and is having a breakout year. Like Chychrun, he is also signed to an incredibly team-friendly contract considering the production he brings.

So I can see Vilardi + Turcotte or Vilardi + 1st for Chychrun. You don't get both assets.

I disagree. LAK are not the only team on Chychrun. Value-wise I would rather say LAK might add 2023 3rd or 4th round pick into equation. Let's for beginning just keep it simple with 4 pieces...

So Vilardi+Turcotte is a no from ARI. Vilardi + 1st is also no. ARI wants bigger pieces and the LAK are far from being the only team targeting their biggest TDL piece. GMs must say to fans and owners "look what I got back".
LAK can cosider it a W if they would be able to keep their 2023 1st round pick in a similar trade.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 3:10 a.m.
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
I disagree. LAK are not the only team on Chychrun. Value-wise I would rather say LAK might add 2023 3rd or 4th round pick into equation. Let's for beginning just keep it simple with 4 pieces...

So Vilardi+Turcotte is a no from ARI. Vilardi + 1st is also no. ARI wants bigger pieces and the LAK are far from being the only team targeting their biggest TDL piece. GMs must say to fans and owners "look what I got back".
LAK can cosider it a W if they would be able to keep their 2023 1st round pick in a similar trade.

If that's the price, then I suspect that LA isn't the destination for Chychrun.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 3:23 a.m.
If that's the price, then I suspect that LA isn't the destination for Chychrun.

Reports says it is LAK.
Idk, I wouldn't trade 3 1st round equivalents for an injury-prone player, despite I respect Chychrun's career.
Somebody will be willing to pay the price. If I am Rob Blake, it wouldn't be me. LAK are not in a win-now mode yet. I would rather trade for cheaper, veteran LHD (Durzi for Edmunsson?).
Feb. 13, 2023 at 3:28 a.m.
Reports says it is LAK.
Idk, I wouldn't trade 3 1st round equivalents for an injury-prone player, despite I respect Chychrun's career.
Somebody will be willing to pay the price. If I am Rob Blake, it wouldn't be me. LAK are not in a win-now mode yet. I would rather trade for cheaper, veteran LHD (Durzi for Edmunsson?).

Unless Montreal is adding a 1st round pick to that swap, LA isn't trading Durzi for Edmundson.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 3:36 a.m.
Unless Montreal is adding a 1st round pick to that swap, LA isn't trading Durzi for Edmundson.

Over and over again, big D-men are getting back bigger returns than fans expect. If speaking about MTL, remember the Chiarot trade? It was 1st round pick + additional pieces. Durzi's biggest asset are his age and another team-friendly contract. But at the moment, Edmundson : Durzi could very well be 1:1 hockey deal.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 3:42 a.m.
Edited Feb. 13, 2023 at 3:52 a.m.
Over and over again, big D-men are getting back bigger returns than fans expect. If speaking about MTL, remember the Chiarot trade? It was 1st round pick + additional pieces. Durzi's biggest asset are his age and another team-friendly contract. But at the moment, Edmundson : Durzi could very well be 1:1 hockey deal.

And if speaking about LAK and Durzi. What is now Durzi, it once was Muzzin, another bigger D-man. But it was transformed into 1st round pick + 2 former 2nd round picks, including Durzi.
It is a lot about timing.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 6:19 a.m.
Edited Feb. 13, 2023 at 6:29 a.m.

All I'm hearing out of MTL is that Hughes wants an overpayment on this guy or that guy. So, I'm skeptical that they would do Edmundson for Durzi 1:1. So, going back to one of your earlier comments about giving up 3 first for an injury-prone Chychrun, I think LA is the only team that should be doing it. They aren't in a win-now mode but adding him is addressing a need, they also have a deep prospect pool so they can afford to overpay as opposed to other teams. They are better off overpaying on Chychrun than Edmundson though. At the end of the day, they can't keep everyone.

Now, if they think Gavrikov or some other defender is a better fit than Chychrun then they should pursue them for that reason rather than a lower price tag.

I think you are absolutely right about moving Vilardi since they don't have too much cap to work with and have raises due in the next two years. So moving at least one piece that is NHL-ready makes sense especially if it saves them from having to trade a current 1st and prospects that they can hold onto a bit longer and use for future moves when they are in their contention window.

Might be worth giving up the current 1st instead of 2024 one and a 3rd, if there could be a Vejmelka and Petersen swap included. I do think Petersen can make a comeback and might even be significantly better than Vejmelka, but the lower cap hit could help LA going forward.
Playersoverpayed liked this.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
All I'm hearing out of MTL is that Hughes wants an overpayment on this guy or that guy. So, I'm skeptical that they would do Edmundson for Durzi 1:1. So, going back to one of your earlier comments about giving up 3 first for an injury-prone Chychrun, I think LA is the only team that should be doing it. They aren't in a win-now mode but adding him is addressing a need, they also have a deep prospect pool so they can afford to overpay as opposed to other teams. They are better off overpaying on Chychrun than Edmundson though. At the end of the day, they can't keep everyone.

Now, if they think Gavrikov or some other defender is a better fit than Chychrun then they should pursue them for that reason rather than a lower price tag.

I think you are absolutely right about moving Vilardi since they don't have too much cap to work with and have raises due in the next two years. So moving at least one piece that is NHL-ready makes sense especially if it saves them from having to trade a current 1st and prospects that they can hold onto a bit longer and use for future moves when they are in their contention window.

Might be worth giving up the current 1st instead of 2024 one and a 3rd, if there could be a Vejmelka and Petersen swap included. I do think Petersen can make a comeback and might even be significantly better than Vejmelka, but the lower cap hit could help LA going forward.

I also think Edmundson is worth more than Durzi, probably 1st round pick + 1 more 2nd round pick/equivalent. Durzi is not worth that much and I don't think LAK fans would like to hear that.

Chychrun is a good fit for any team... when healthy. He is in the NHL since the very 1st season after the Draft (2016/17), where he appeared in 68 games. That is his career high. I wouldn't pay 3x1st round equivalents for a player from who I expect 55-60 NHL games in a season.
LAK are one of the softest teams in the league. They only have 1 bigger D-man (Edler) and he is not extremely tough. That's why I think cheaper defensive-defenseman is more rational option than expensive 2-way D-man. Sure, they can overpay. But why would they? They can spend their capital later, this is not the last season of the game.

Petersen's value is at the moment strongly in the red numbers. In the 2022/23 season LAK shouldn't trade him, they can afford to carry his contract and have him in the AHL.
Feb. 13, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
I also think Edmundson is worth more than Durzi, probably 1st round pick + 1 more 2nd round pick/equivalent. Durzi is not worth that much and I don't think LAK fans would like to hear that.

Chychrun is a good fit for any team... when healthy. He is in the NHL since the very 1st season after the Draft (2016/17), where he appeared in 68 games. That is his career high. I wouldn't pay 3x1st round equivalents for a player from who I expect 55-60 NHL games in a season.
LAK are one of the softest teams in the league. They only have 1 bigger D-man (Edler) and he is not extremely tough. That's why I think cheaper defensive-defenseman is more rational option than expensive 2-way D-man. Sure, they can overpay. But why would they? They can spend their capital later, this is not the last season of the game.

Petersen's value is at the moment strongly in the red numbers. In the 2022/23 season LAK shouldn't trade him, they can afford to carry his contract and have him in the AHL.

Trading for a Big D at the deadline will be expensive, so I think LA should go that extra step for Chychrun but only if they truly see him as a good fit. You said any team could use a healthy Chychrun but for some teams it will just be a luxury and for others an upgrade in terms of adding talent but he might not fit well in the system for example. 3 1sts straight up is too much for him to play only 60%, but if they are willing to take Petersen back as well then I would do it. Otherwise, I think 2.5 1sts in value is the max that a team should offer, but maybe for LA they just bite the bullet.

I say for Petersen, they try to offload him for free essentially, by baking him into a Chychrun+Vejmelka trade. The ask for Chychrun is high, as well as Vejmelka and dumping Petersen would require a hefty sweetener. If ARZ is willing to make concessions here and there though, they can perhaps agree to a trade where Petersen only ends up as a throw in for cap rather than a negative asset.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll