Forums/Armchair-GM

Lines come playoffs

Created by: CapFriendlysFinest
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 21, 2023
Published: Feb. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No Idea why we wouldn't use these lines for playoffs. Here are my thoughts ...

I personally would rather have Matthews and Marner together but for the sake of keeping JT productive, Marner should stay on the second line with JT. Having O'Reilly on the third line might seem dumb to some, considering what we gave up to get him, but it's not. Keefe loves to run three lines over and over and often, the third line only gets 2-3 mins less a game than the second line. Having a dominant third line in the playoffs is key to our success. Plus, if Keefe ever needs to load up the lines, he could do Nylander Mattews Marner as line one and JT O'reilly and Bunting as line two. Knies is the big wild card here, if he plays with us, I want him to be in the Top 9. I think playing beside O'Reilly would be the best bet plus some PP2 time as it keeps him sheltered but gives him a players to score with.

Defence is a different story. I have defended Holl for so long and I think it is now just time to play Timmins over him. Outside of that, keep everything else the same. Possibly add Benn in when you need to be more physical. Reilly and Brodie play well together. Sandin and Lilly have been such a breath of fresh air on the back end. Gio has been everything we could have ever hoped for and more.

Goalies it's simple, run the hot hand. Samsonov has been amazing but Murray has the 2 cups to his name. Hot hand and ride it.

How would you line up the team WITHOUT any trades?
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$82,500,000$82,996,246$212,500$0-$496,246

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 21, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
Benny
I would swap kerfoot and Engvall. I think Knies would benefit more from playing with Kerfoot, as Engvall is really not a playmaker. He seems to be playing well with Kampf in a shut down role with some offensive flashes.
However, I believe Dubas is not done and will add a top 9 right winger (I would personally hope for Puljujarvi), bringing engvall on the left wing 4th line.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: Laquille
I would swap kerfoot and Engvall. I think Knies would benefit more from playing with Kerfoot, as Engvall is really not a playmaker. He seems to be playing well with Kampf in a shut down role with some offensive flashes.
However, I believe Dubas is not done and will add a top 9 right winger (I would personally hope for Puljujarvi), bringing engvall on the left wing 4th line.

You would want another top 9 guy with Knies coming in? I think hes the add everyone is talking about tbh. Young, entry level deal, can score and hit. I worry that we already have enough solid shut down guys that we wouldn't need someone like Puljujarvi and getting him would remove some of the depth scoring we need.
Rage44 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 11:23 a.m.
I'd like preface this by saying I like Kerfoot, and Jarnkrok. BUT, I will do anything I can to keep them both out of the top 6 comes playoffs.
Whether that means JT stays on the wing w/ ROR & Marner, or if Knies is pleasantly a fit @ #2 LW- that remains to be seen. But good playoff teams have good (to great), contributing bottom 6 lines, and that's the best fit for Kerfoot & Jarnkrok (and Engvall).
AM, ROR/JT, Kampf, Acciari is a very strong 1-4 C lineup, with defined roles.

As for D, I would be concerned with Sandin & Liljegren as a pairing over a 7 game series against TB (or otherwise). They have looked great when times are good, but when Sandin feels constant pressure, he makes some very questionable choices on his zone exits. He might make the pass, but he's handcuffed his outlet into a bad situation.
Without adding to the roster, I think you roll with Holl, unless he falls apart in the first 2 games of the series. I like Timmins, but no guarantee he can handle the added pressure and elevate his game.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 11:29 a.m.
Jaxon34
I like these Lines upfront.
If there was a way to add on D would be ideal too, so if that is giving up Engvall, Kerfoot or Holl with prospect would be nice.
Then move Ashton Reese Back in.
Also switch Bunting and Jarnock
Feb. 21, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: Rage44
I'd like preface this by saying I like Kerfoot, and Jarnkrok. BUT, I will do anything I can to keep them both out of the top 6 comes playoffs.
Whether that means JT stays on the wing w/ ROR & Marner, or if Knies is pleasantly a fit #2 LW- that remains to be seen. But good playoff teams have good (to great), contributing bottom 6 lines, and that's the best fit for Kerfoot & Jarnkrok (and Engvall).
AM, ROR/JT, Kampf, Acciari is a very strong 1-4 C lineup, with defined roles.

As for D, I would be concerned with Sandin & Liljegren as a pairing over a 7 game series against TB (or otherwise). They have looked great when times are good, but when Sandin feels constant pressure, he makes some very questionable choices on his zone exits. He might make the pass, but he's handcuffed his outlet into a bad situation.
Without adding to the roster, I think you roll with Holl, unless he falls apart in the first 2 games of the series. I like Timmins, but no guarantee he can handle the added pressure and elevate his game.

Totally understand you wanting to keep kerfoot and Jarnkrok in the bottom part of the line up. But for that reason is why I like O'Reilly on the third line is suddenly you have three scoring lines and one shut down 4th line. I feel like a line such as Jarn Kerfoot and Engvall is a great third line but doesn't score very much which is how we lost last season. Tampa and Toronto's top lines cancelled each other out and it was Tampa's bottom 6 that won them the series. That's why I like the idea of O'Reilly on the third line with Knies, three big scoring lines.

As for your defence comments, I agree much more. Sandin has looked great but under pressure he does struggle. I would keep both of them on the third pair to avoid being caved in by other teams top lines.
Would you add or who would you add to help the D? There isn't a lot out there that we can currently afford sadly.
Feb. 21, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs09
I like these Lines upfront.
If there was a way to add on D would be ideal too, so if that is giving up Engvall, Kerfoot or Holl with prospect would be nice.
Then move Ashton Reese Back in.
Also switch Bunting and Jarnock

I also like the idea of adding on the back end however I don't know if we have enough draft capital to get anyone to make us drastically better.
Bunting and Jar should be switched, no idea how that even happened. Thanks for pointing it out haha
Feb. 21, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
Quoting: CapFriendlysFinest
Totally understand you wanting to keep kerfoot and Jarnkrok in the bottom part of the line up. But for that reason is why I like O'Reilly on the third line is suddenly you have three scoring lines and one shut down 4th line. I feel like a line such as Jarn Kerfoot and Engvall is a great third line but doesn't score very much which is how we lost last season. Tampa and Toronto's top lines cancelled each other out and it was Tampa's bottom 6 that won them the series. That's why I like the idea of O'Reilly on the third line with Knies, three big scoring lines.

As for your defence comments, I agree much more. Sandin has looked great but under pressure he does struggle. I would keep both of them on the third pair to avoid being caved in by other teams top lines.
Would you add or who would you add to help the D? There isn't a lot out there that we can currently afford sadly.

re: defense-- would love to add, but not sure if there is a great value add available. I wouldn't pay the reported price for Gavrikov - not sure we've got the remaining assets for Chychrun. No sure Dubas wants to look at the term for McCabe or alike.
Personally I'd swing on Chychrun--- include Sandin, 1st, prospect + ?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll