Forums/Armchair-GM

Sheng Peng Trade Comp

Created by: NHLfan10506
Team: 2022-23 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 21, 2023
Published: Feb. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The price-setting Sheng Peng, who has been reporting about the SJS price for Meier, now has a comp. And it is the Matt Duchene 2017 trade. (At least he is using a comp. But not a great one for SJS.)

OTT got...
-- Matt Duchene

COL got...
-- Kyle Turris (27yo pending RFA, 0.7ppg)
-- Shane Bowers (Freshman at BU)
-- Andrew Hammond (journeyman goalie)
-- 2019 1st (was OTT choice to pick 2018 or 2019 pick)
-- 2019 3rd

Colorado was able to flip Turris for Girard, Kamenev, two prospects that were in 51-100 range at time, and a 2nd rounder.

NSH got...
-- Kyle Turris

COL got...
-- Vladislav Kamenev
-- Samuel Girard
-- 2018 2nd

And they really lucked out when Ottawa went from conference finals in 2017 to 30th place in 2019. That pick turned into Bowen Byram. But the flip and the draft luck cannot be predicted here.

-----

Since Sheng Peng's previous "price for Meier" article has set the market on ACGM...I imagine we will see Sharks fans adopt this comp has likely path forward. (In my book, the best comp to use is Fiala if using just one).

What what would be the apples-to-apples comparison here? I threw a couple 'quick and dirty' ideas together below.
Trades
SJS
    Severson, Damon
    Stillman, Chase
    Russo, Robbie
    2024 1st round pick
    2024 1st round pick
    NJD
    SJS
      Tatar, Tomas
      Casey, Seamus
      Pinho, Brian
      2024 1st round pick
      2024 1st round pick
      NJD
      SJS
        Teravainen, Teuvo
        Trikizov, Gleb
        Lagesson, William
        2024 1st round pick
        2024 3rd round pick
        CAR
        Buyouts
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the CAR
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SEA
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the CBJ
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the VGK
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the SJS
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        21$82,500,000$73,770,834$0$425,000$8,729,166
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the San Jose Sharks
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $6,750,000$6,750,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 8
        $4,725,000$4,725,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $8,000,000$8,000,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 5
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $950,000$950,000
        LW, RW
        RFA - 1
        $1,025,000$1,025,000
        C, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
        RW
        RFA - 1
        $750,000$750,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        C
        UFA - 3
        $750,000$750,000
        RW, C
        UFA - 1
        $1,050,000$1,050,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $7,000,000$7,000,000
        LD/RD
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $10,000,000$10,000,000
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $2,750,000$2,750,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        $3,250,000$3,250,000
        LD
        UFA - 4
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        RD
        UFA - 4
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $762,500$762,500
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        $750,000$750,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $2,750,000$2,750,000
        RW, C
        RFA - 2
        $1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        $750,000$750,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 7:52 p.m.
        Why do the New Jersey trades have two 1st round picks from the same year included?
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:10 p.m.
        Quoting: tkecanuck341
        Why do the New Jersey trades have two 1st round picks from the same year included?

typo...second one should be a 3rd
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        Edited Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:47 p.m.
        Quoting: NHLfan10506
        typo...second one should be a 3rd

Shengs very much freelance, he’s often got information wrong (nothing against him, I still look at/ value his stuff). But his network is the same network that was spewing nonsense about the flames and Gaudreau/ tkachuk.

I’d trust Masisak and Pashelka more (Athletic and longtime SJS coverage in the Bay Area sports group).

Masisak, Rutherford and Lebrun have all three individually in their words; confirmed through individual sources that the Blues are in on Meier with two firsts and other assets (prospects most likely). So that alone makes Shengs suggestion blown away (Bowers, a first and a 3rd).

Personally I disagree that these trades are comparable.
        Meiers a better player, higher production, unique skill set (few other players like him (Rantanen being the pinnacle of the skill set modern day powerforward and Kane being a ”worse” player), and Meiers analytics are some of the strongest especially at 5on5 with a market value average of 10m. And watching the games he’s by far and away the other 50% of the Sharks offence (50% being EK65). Griers been slow playing this and to accept Stillman, a first, a 3rd would be look redundant (Severson holds little value to the Sharks imo (not that he has no market value)).

I think if you suggested earlier Holtz is off the table, I ponder what Gritysuks value is.
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:49 p.m.
        Quoting: yikes
        Shengs very much freelance, he’s often got information wrong (nothing against him, I still look at/ value his stuff). But his network is the same network that was spewing nonsense about the flames and Gaudreau/ tkachuk.

I’d trust Masisak and Pashelka more (Athletic and longtime SJS coverage in the Bay Area sports group).

Masisak, Rutherford and Lebrun have all three individually in their words; confirmed through individual sources that the Blues are in on Meier with two firsts and other assets (prospects most likely). So that alone makes Shengs suggestion blown away (Bowers, a first and a 3rd).

Personally I disagree that these trades are comparable.
        Meiers a better player, higher production, unique skill set (few other players like him (Rantanen being the pinnacle of the skill set modern day powerforward and Kane being a ”worse” player), and Meiers analytics are some of the strongest especially at 5on5 with a market value average of 10m. And watching the games he’s by far and away the other 50% of the Sharks offence (50% being EK65).

Yeah, I think the point I was making without directly saying....is we shouldn't take one guys view as gospel. After his first piece, which had a very unflattering take on NJD prospect pool, it seemed like SJS fans we using it as the benchmark for any trade. Then, he was asking too much. Now, too little.

I still believe there are a very wide range of outcomes here based on Meier's intentions, his QO, the tight cap, etc etc.

Loosely put...I could see anywhere from Mark Stone return to Jack Eichel return.
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:52 p.m.
        sharcuda22
        Just read on twitter that a deal between sharks and devils has been stalling because sharks are insistent on mercer.

A source familiar with the situation tells me that the #NJDevils continue to be in talks to acquire Timo Meier from San Jose before the March 3 deadline.

A big sticking point, I'm told, is that the Sharks continue to ask for Dawson Mercer as part of a return. From Robert Aitken Jr
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:59 p.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        Yeah, I think the point I was making without directly saying....is we shouldn't take one guys view as gospel. After his first piece, which had a very unflattering take on NJD prospect pool, it seemed like SJS fans we using it as the benchmark for any trade. Then, he was asking too much. Now, too little.

I still believe there are a very wide range of outcomes here based on Meier's intentions, his QO, the tight cap, etc etc.

Loosely put...I could see anywhere from Mark Stone return to Jack Eichel return.

I added this at the end post your quote

I think if you suggested earlier Holtz is off the table, I ponder what Gritysuks value is.

Secondly; I didn’t know he was low on the devils pool? I didn’t read it after the comparable of duchene. In terms of low on the overall pool; like being overrated. Or on specific guys (like Holtz).

Stone:
        Brannstrom (if I recall at the time he was seen as a league wide top prospect? So I guess we’d use Holtz (just for convenience) as he’d rank higher than someone like Snuggeraud?)
        2nd

Eichel:
        Tuch
        Krebs (Buffalo was super high on)
        Ostlund
        2nd

If we were to go in between I would say a St. Louis offer of two late firsts a prospect like Snug or Holtz + 1st does seem legitimate. If anything you could argue Ostlund Krebs 2023 2nd is better than Brannstrom (hindsight obviously helps but still) 2nd, unless we’re valuing Brannstrom at the time of trade being almost two firsts idk.
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:01 p.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        Quoting: sharcuda22
        Just read on twitter that a deal between sharks and devils has been stalling because sharks are insistent on mercer.

A source familiar with the situation tells me that the #NJDevils continue to be in talks to acquire Timo Meier from San Jose before the March 3 deadline.

A big sticking point, I'm told, is that the Sharks continue to ask for Dawson Mercer as part of a return. From Robert Aitken Jr

Grier killing this deal over Mercer (which is basically like asking for us for Eklund and Bords because Mercer is actually killing the NHL right now) would be about as disappointing as anything.

I’d only guess this is strategically to either somehow get Mercer and a first or when they settle on a lower price point that leads to Holtz.
        poeticentropy liked this.
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.
        sharcuda22
        Grier killing this deal over Mercer (which is basically like asking for us for Eklund and Bords because Mercer is actually killing the NHL right now) would be about as disappointing as anything.

eklund and bords could both be in the NHL right now but that is not the plan from upper management so I think the value is a bit off there. I appreciate this firm stance as a fan because Meier is not the kind of play you trade away unless you get something excellent in return ( better than holtz + first)
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:16 p.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        eklund and bords could both be in the NHL right now but that is not the plan from upper management so I think the value is a bit off there. I appreciate this firm stance as a fan because Meier is not the kind of play you trade away unless you get something excellent in return ( better than holtz + first)

I edited my comment to include after your quote

“I’d only guess this is strategically to either somehow get Mercer and a first or when they settle on a lower price point that leads to Holtz.”

Anyways I do appreciate and it is a good move - but it could backfire/ kill NJD as a suitor. And for a proper rebuild to help Eklund and Bords it needs to begin this TDL, Wilson/ Hasso delayed it long enough.

As for Bords and Eklund; I love them and subjectively value them more than Mercer sure. But objectively Mercer is in the NHL right now; and he’s playing incredibly well and is play the game that made him so highly touted (ie hasn’t changed his game or had to be better). He’s just such a energetic player to watch. He’s a player I’ve always liked. And he’s killing it. Bords and Eklunds still have make it (and I have no doubt they will). But Mercers already dealt with nearly a full NHL calendar and hasn’t fallen off. You can’t blame a Devils fan to say Mercer > Eklund or Bords right now.
        Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:22 p.m.
        sharcuda22
        I edited my comment to include after your quote

“I’d only guess this is strategically to either somehow get Mercer and a first or when they settle on a lower price point that leads to Holtz.”

Anyways I do appreciate and it is a good move - but it could backfire/ kill NJD as a suitor. And for a proper rebuild to help Eklund and Bords it needs to begin this TDL, Wilson/ Hasso delayed it long enough.

As for Bords and Eklund; I love them and subjectively value them more than Mercer sure. But objectively Mercer is in the NHL right now; and he’s playing incredibly well and is play the game that made him so highly touted (ie hasn’t changed his game or had to be better). He’s just such a energetic player to watch.

Sorry I didn't see that! I absolutely agree mercer holds a ton of value, especially for the sharks who don't have a ton of strong skaters. The reason mercer is prolly a deal breaker for the sharks is holtz value seems to have fluctuated a lot this year ie differences in Pronmans U23 list compared to HW drafter prospects list and he seems just as close to being a 3rd line player as a top line player. Add on top of that the sharks would be adding yet another clunky skater to a team that really one has 1 elite skater and two fast players in kaut and gregor. If it is a dealbreaker for NJ then I think/hope the sharks walk away from the deal and look to keep him (MeierHertlEklund) and our cap situation starts to open the year after next or find a different team to trade with.
        Burnzie8_88_4Cup liked this.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 4:17 a.m.
        Edited Feb. 22, 2023 at 4:27 a.m.

Yeah that's unfortunate. I would be OK with deals that do not include Mercer, Hughes, Nemec. Plenty of other quality to be had. I just want something like 1st+holtz+muk to get it done.

That Cheechoo sj fan was asking hard for Mercer so maybe he's Griers secret capfriendly account
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 4:24 a.m.
        Secondly; I didn’t know he was low on the devils pool? I didn’t read it after the comparable of duchene. In terms of low on the overall pool; like being overrated. Or on specific guys (like Holtz).

In the earlier Peng article he responded to comments and indicated his sources considered Holtz and Muk Grade B prospects and Nemec a A/B tweener in the context of a trade consisting of 1st+A or 1sr+2Bs.
        That pissed off NJ fans
        sharcuda22 liked this.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:01 a.m.
        I added this at the end post your quote

Stone:
        Brannstrom (if I recall at the time he was seen as a league wide top prospect? So I guess we’d use Holtz (just for convenience) as he’d rank higher than someone like Snuggeraud?)
        2nd

Eichel:
        Tuch
        Krebs (Buffalo was super high on)
        Ostlund
        2nd

If we were to go in between I would say a St. Louis offer of two late firsts a prospect like Snug or Holtz + 1st does seem legitimate. If anything you could argue Ostlund Krebs 2023 2nd is better than Brannstrom (hindsight obviously helps but still) 2nd, unless we’re valuing Brannstrom at the time of trade being almost two firsts idk.

Gritsyuk looks fantastic. Was KHL rookie of the year last year. This year, he started off slow with an injury, but back to normal now with 25 pts in last 30 games. Some Devils fans say he is our best forward prospect (over Holtz) but has usually risks as KHLer. And unlike Mukhamadulkin, he is not signed yet (maybe this summer, with 1-year loan back to Avangard). There has been a Sharks scout recently at his games BTW.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:06 a.m.
        sharcuda22
        Quoting: poeticentropy
        In the earlier Peng article he responded to comments and indicated his sources considered Holtz and Muk Grade B prospects and Nemec a A/B tweener in the context of a trade consisting of 1st+A or 1sr+2Bs.
        That pissed off NJ fans

but it is trueeeeeee
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:15 a.m.
        Sorry I didn't see that! I absolutely agree mercer holds a ton of value, especially for the sharks who don't have a ton of strong skaters. The reason mercer is prolly a deal breaker for the sharks is holtz value seems to have fluctuated a lot this year ie differences in Pronmans U23 list compared to HW drafter prospects list and he seems just as close to being a 3rd line player as a top line player. Add on top of that the sharks would be adding yet another clunky skater to a team that really one has 1 elite skater and two fast players in kaut and gregor. If it is a dealbreaker for NJ then I think/hope the sharks walk away from the deal and look to keep him (MeierHertlEklund) and our cap situation starts to open the year after next or find a different team to trade with.

If good skating is an attribute SJS is seeking, I would look at these names as pieces

Zetterlund
        Boqvist
        McLeod
        Filmon
        Casey
        Vilen
        Mukhamadullin
        Bardakov (more of a powerful skater)

(And I would avoid Foote, Okhotiuk and probably Salminen…all decent players, none great skaters)
        sharcuda22 liked this.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:23 a.m.
        That pissed off NJ fans

First, there are standard definitions for “A” “B” grades that the league knows and scouting community uses frequently. He seems to have rewritten the definitions, so that is the first issue.

Second, to say Holtz, Nemec Mukhamadullin are B (and in other spots call Wiesblatt an A) is insulting. To both NJD fans and SJS fans. He is not giving reporting here.
        yikes liked this.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        First, there are standard definitions for “A” “B” grades that the league knows and scouting community uses frequently. He seems to have rewritten the definitions, so that is the first issue.

Second, to say Holtz, Nemec Mukhamadullin are B (and in other spots call Wiesblatt an A) is insulting. To both NJD fans and SJS fans. He is not giving reporting here.

but it is trueeeeeee

but it is trueeeeeee

That pissed off NJ fans

I would say;

Hughes is an S prospect (easily the most desirable D prospect)
        Eklund Nemec and Bords are A- to A+
        Holtz I would say is B+ to A due to the difficult year and struggles
        Wiesblatt is like a C at this point; I’m higher on Adam Raska than Wiesblatt lol.
        Muk I wouldn’t call an A but that’s also due to not directly following him so it wouldn’t be fair to say he’s a B at best.

If Sheng would say Holtz is a B I wouldn’t be upset but Wiesblatt shouldn’t even been in the same breathe as Holtz, Nemec, Bords, Eklund. Nemec alone shouldn’t even be near Holtz/ Wiesblatt just due to that RD #1/2 potential. Nemec having top pair growth potential whereas Wiesblatts best case scenario is becoming Barabanov (who I don’t think he’ll be); so likely a 3rd liner with 30 points.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
        I would say;

Wiesblatt is like a C at this point; I’m higher on Adam Raska than Wiesblatt lol.
        Muk I wouldn’t call an A but that’s also due to not directly following him so it wouldn’t be fair to say he’s a B at best.

If Sheng would say Holtz is a B I wouldn’t be upset but Wiesblatt shouldn’t even been in the same breathe as Holtz, Nemec, Bords, Eklund. Nemec alone shouldn’t even be near Holtz/ Wiesblatt just due to that RD #1/2 potential. Nemec having top pair growth potential whereas Wiesblatts best case scenario is becoming Barabanov (who I don’t think he’ll be); so likely a 3rd liner with 30 points.

If Bordeleau and Eklund at “A”, Holtz is unquestionably “A”. And Mukhamadullin is also probably an “A”.

Hughes
        Nemec
        Holtz
        Eklund
        Mukhamadullin
        Bystedt
        Gritsyuk
        Bordeleau
        Casey
        Lund

All “A”

If each Devils prospect get such low grades (only one “A” name), why are we consistently rated as top-5 prospect pool? The Athletic recently listed San Jose #17 and New Jersey #2.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 11:40 a.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        Edited Feb. 22, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
        If Bordeleau and Eklund at “A”, Holtz is unquestionably “A”. And Mukhamadullin is also probably an “A”.

Hughes
        Nemec
        Holtz
        Eklund
        Mukhamadullin
        Bystedt
        Gritsyuk
        Bordeleau
        Casey
        Lund

All “A”

If each Devils prospect get such low grades (only one “A” name), why are we consistently rated as top-5 prospect pool? The Athletic recently listed San Jose #17 and New Jersey #2.

I never rated any devils prospects low? Literally gave Hughes #1 league wide. I only said Holtz B+/ A for his difficult year and that I had no personal experience with Muk so I shouldn’t be allowed to rate him (which is arguably what Sheng did and just gave him a B, which is why as I said I don’t always listen to Sheng).

After researching Gritysuk I would throw him and Bystedt above Muk (but as I said loool); they both feel like they are going to keep rising. Which is why if Grier lands Gritysuk I may be happier than Holtz tbh (but that’s recency bias).

All the insider boys are harping about STL now so there’s just so much smoke I have no idea what’s going to happen. I just know Meier can’t be fumbled otherwise we’re screwed lol. Karlsson would be a dream trade (I want him to win not stew in SJ); but Meier has to be extended by 8yrs at a good AAV or traded for a haul that gives our prospects some much needed help.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
        Lets Go Blues
        For me, the comp is DeBrincat (for 7oa + 39oa + 3rd), although the acquiring team knows the pay raise is imminent vs a full season away. Fiala (for 19oa + Faber) would be the comp if the Sharks wait until the offseason.
        NHLfan10506 and Tintin liked this.
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
        sharcuda22
        I would say;

this exactly -> plus a lot of what sheng writes generally isnt his opinion but what various NHL people he's connected to think
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
        sharcuda22

Hughes
        Nemec
        Holtz
        Eklund
        Mukhamadullin
        Bystedt
        Gritsyuk
        Bordeleau
        Casey
        Lund

All “A”

Because Hughes and nemec are that awesome. Also in no list, or any piece of non devils media ive seen has holtz above eklund or muk as an A prospect
        Feb. 22, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
        Because Hughes and nemec are that awesome. Also in no list, or any piece of non devils media ive seen has holtz above eklund or muk as an A prospect

Actually many do.

Just look at most recent rankings.

Here are some rankings:

McKeen's
        (includes NHLers)
        Hughes #2
        Nemec #10
        Holtz #15
        Eklund #26
        Gritsyuk #63

THW mid-season list

Hughes #1
        Nemec #5
        Eklund #7
        Holtz #8
        Casey #55
        Bordeleau #61
        Gritsyuk #79
        Foote #89
        Mukhamadullin #96

Corey Pronman's U23 list
        (includes all U23 in NHL)
        Hughes #14
        Nemec #40
        Eklund #44
        Mukhamadullin #68
        Holtz #72
        Bordeleau #89
        Gritsyuk #147

Scott Wheeler

Hughes #2
        Nemec #4
        Holtz #22
        Eklund #23
        (Bordeleau, Mukhamadullin, Casey were all in #51-100 mentions)

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll