SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(ARI/VGK) - Mayo for Weber, 5th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 22, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
Try telling me what I don't understand about LTIR.

Enlighten me.

i read again how i wrote and feel i was rude, sorry about that. while it doesnt affect much for this year, ltir has negative effect on accrued cap space for deadline acquisition, its a good thing to give away if.you can. (im just trying to say getting rid of it is worth something to teams up against the cap).
TheRealisticGuy liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I got a feeling VGK gonna now go trade for Meier
Feb. 22, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Quoting: TheWolfe
This would have been a really weird trade to explain to somebody 5-6 years ago

Or ten years ago, "Who the hell are the golden knights"
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
Majors and minors
Quoting: pinslack
Arizona, the graveyard of the NHL

Thanks Bettman

u think they draft Benson??
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Majors and minors
Quoting: SevenLeg
Weber, Datsyuk, Pronger, Hossa.

All Coyotes legend.

don't forget Wheeler.... etc.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
Quoting: CoraStorm
don't forget Wheeler.... etc.

Wheeler? You mean M. Savard.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:34 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
This is the definition of a win/win trade.

-Because Mayo is an AHL player on a 1-way contract, it's very close to cash in/cash out for Arizona. Weber is insured to the tune of 60 percent
-Because Mayo's contract is below the threshold for buried contracts, his cap hit for Vegas will be 0. If he is recalled to the NHL, he fills a roster spot for 950k.
-Vegas does not need to move Weber now since they are in LTI, and may be next year as well. Still, it gives them one less problem to worry about long term.
-Arizona potentially saves a significant amount of money since they buy 7.8M of cap space for only 400k in real cash per season for the next 3 seasons.

Arizona is probably the bigger winner when you consider how this trade plays into their current strategy and inability to spend. Both teams benefit though.

It was good work by Vegas to turn Dadonov into an LTIR contract when they were already in LTI this season, and then get rid of that contract for only a 5th. By proxy, they got out of the Dadonov contract for a 5th round pick since once a team is in LTI, additional LTIR contracts are superficial.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:38 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
OMG! WHAT A BLOCKBUSTER?!?!?!?!?!?? CLEARLY THE BIGGEST DEAL OF NHL HISTORY. SHEA FREAKING WEBER IS GETTING TRADED FOR DUSTIN MAYO. OMG OMG OMG

But seriously, fair trade
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:42 p.m.
feelsbadman
only a 5th to offload a 8m 38 yr old? contract doesnt end till 2026...
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:53 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: hugeballer
only a 5th to offload a 8m 38 yr old? contract doesnt end till 2026...

You have to understand how budget teams see contracts. The cap hit is superficial for Arizona because they will only pay Weber 400k per season each of the next 3 years. If anything, the high cap hit is a benefit to Arizona because it allows them to hit the cap floor while spending less money, and even if they would hit the cap floor anyways they need a buffer above the cap floor to allow them to sell off players without falling below the cap floor.

Mayo will make 900k+ per season in real money, most likely to play for Arizona's AHL team. So they saved money starting next season and improved their cap situation. Improved meaning they made it easier to accomplish their goal of spending the least amount of money and being able to sell off players throughout the season without falling below the cap floor.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Arizona should have asked for more, this trade helps Vegas more for next year and beyond.

Likely Vegas will make a move Meier after this.
hugeballer liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:31 p.m.
feelsbadman
Quoting: budgeteam
You have to understand how budget teams see contracts. The cap hit is superficial for Arizona because they will only pay Weber 400k per season each of the next 3 years. If anything, the high cap hit is a benefit to Arizona because it allows them to hit the cap floor while spending less money, and even if they would hit the cap floor anyways they need a buffer above the cap floor to allow them to sell off players without falling below the cap floor.

Mayo will make 900k+ per season in real money, most likely to play for Arizona's AHL team. So they saved money starting next season and improved their cap situation. Improved meaning they made it easier to accomplish their goal of spending the least amount of money and being able to sell off players throughout the season without falling below the cap floor.

how bout lets get owners who can actually afford to ice a team
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:38 p.m.
feelsbadman

Is it really good for the league to have a dumpster fire organization (a division rival no less) eat these terrible contracts no return? how does this benefit the league? arizona can actively tank while vegas can go after the shiny new toy every year. This has shades of MLB written all over it
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:39 p.m.
Two things.

This contract expires when Bedard's entry level contract expires.

And do you think Weber gets informed of this trade or he just finds out when he's making Nashville acgms?
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:44 p.m.
fantastic trade, Mayo was sent down because he was being outplayed by Patrick Nemeth, Troy Stecher and Josh Brown. At that point, you just gotta cut bait; this opens up lots of room for more top pairing minutes in our AHL team and allows someone else to get called up in case we need a D man. Contrary to popular belief, the Coyotes would still be at the cap floor if they traded Chychrun, this just allows for other moves to be made without dipping below. Honestly a 5th isn't anything special, this just allows us to open up another D slot while also allowing cap flexibility.

It's a fair deal overall
Feb. 22, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
feelsbadman
LMAO Ottawa just offloaded a 2 year 4.5m contract for a 2nd and 4th round pick, this is a ****ing terrible return for Arizona XD
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:32 p.m.
Just you wait until the yotes trade for Klefbom, they'll be unstoppable in some kind of wicked theory
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:13 p.m.
Quoting: hugeballer
LMAO Ottawa just offloaded a 2 year 4.5m contract for a 2nd and 4th round pick, this is a ****ing terrible return for Arizona XD

the player they traded still actually plays. Weber is never going to step foot on the ice in any of the 4 seasons on his contract. very different scenarios
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:14 p.m.
FanOfAllTeams
Quoting: ianhanseter
Arizona wins easily - gets a Hall of Fame defenseman and a pick for someone who is just a guy...robbery!

He won’t play a game
hugeballer liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:15 p.m.
FanOfAllTeams
This is the definition of a win/win trade.

-Because Mayo is an AHL player on a 1-way contract, it's very close to cash in/cash out for Arizona. Weber is insured to the tune of 60 percent
-Because Mayo's contract is below the threshold for buried contracts, his cap hit for Vegas will be 0. If he is recalled to the NHL, he fills a roster spot for 950k.
-Vegas does not need to move Weber now since they are in LTI, and may be next year as well. Still, it gives them one less problem to worry about long term.
-Arizona potentially saves a significant amount of money since they buy 7.8M of cap space for only 400k in real cash per season for the next 3 seasons.

Arizona is probably the bigger winner when you consider how this trade plays into their current strategy and inability to spend. Both teams benefit though.

It was good work by Vegas to turn Dadonov into an LTIR contract when they were already in LTI this season, and then get rid of that contract for only a 5th. By proxy, they got out of the Dadonov contract for a 5th round pick since once a team is in LTI, additional LTIR contracts are superficial.

If Weber is LTIR, Why move the money when you can fill the 7.8 million of extra dollars?
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:25 p.m.
Habs4Ever
Quoting: sensonfire
Try telling me what I don't understand about LTIR.

Enlighten me.

Go read on it
My god
Stop asking people to try to explain you in 2 sentences like you are 5 how LTIR works
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
Go read on it
My god
Stop asking people to try to explain you in 2 sentences like you are 5 how LTIR works

I wasn't asking for someone to explain to me how LTIR works.

I was asking someone who might have been trolling what he assumes that I don't understand about LTIR.

Two completely different things.

Try understanding the context of what was said.

My god.
drambui liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: drambui
i read again how i wrote and feel i was rude, sorry about that. while it doesnt affect much for this year, ltir has negative effect on accrued cap space for deadline acquisition, its a good thing to give away if.you can. (im just trying to say getting rid of it is worth something to teams up against the cap).

No explanation necessary.

Apology accepted.
drambui liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:54 p.m.
sen krak fan
Pretty fair imo
Feb. 22, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Feb. 23, 2023 at 10:40 a.m.
Remember when Bettman said he would block Weber's dump to Arizona by MTL?

WHAT A JOKE
Andy_Dick and hugeballer liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit