Forums/Armchair-GM

Gibson rumour i dont even know id be interested though

Created by: leafs101
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 23, 2023
Published: Feb. 23, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Saw on IG account puckempire that Ducks and Gibson would like to find him a new home, per Elliote Friedman. I'd personally have maybe some interest at a reasonably low acquisition cost, I think he's still great but has bad numbers on a terrible team. That being said, his numbers are concerning enough that it'd truly have to be for the right price. So, lets get the discussion going...
Trades
TOR
  1. Gibson, John ($1,713,500 retained)
Additional Details:
What would Toronto have to give up to do this? Would it even be worth it? I don't know the answer to either of these questions. I'd lean towards no given the term on his deal and his age, and what it likely takes asset wise, but curious on everyone's thoughts.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$80,420,246$212,500$0$2,079,754
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$4,686,500$4,686,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$766,667$766,667 ($0$0$0$0)
G
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
I think Pittsburgh is where would end up if traded. That might explain why Petry is being shopped despite being good for them and a recent acquisition. Would be a natural time to replace Jarry.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
I think Pittsburgh is where would end up if traded. That might explain why Petry is being shopped despite being good. Would be a natural time to replace Jarry.

its tough man. Like I can't decide if I'd even want to do a deal like this as a GM of any team. I know he's good but the numbers just aren't there and that's a hefty contract and possible acquisition cost to take any sort of gamble on. Is Gibson really better than Jarry? I might just re-sign Jarry idk.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:41 p.m.
Puresh Lampa
I would think the New Jersey Devils to be a great fit. Obviously the LA Kings are the perfect fit but there is no way Anaheim moves him there lol.
Dubas isn't even going to consider it, no matter what Murray's health is.

Also it is known Gibson doesn't want to play in Canada sadly..
GMBL liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:41 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
its tough man. Like I can't decide if I'd even want to do a deal like this as a GM of any team. Is Gibson really better than Jarry? I might just re-sign Jarry idk.

Well the Penguins are about to be in desperation mode, Jarry is just more of the same. They got a lot of dollars locked up on older players, so would be difficult for them to go get a forward. So, I'm guessing they take that gamble that Gibson can be better or they go for Demko. Perhaps they then deal Jarry to LA.

I think everyone should go back to where they are from Jarry to BC, Demko to California (LA is the only realistic option imo), and Gibson to Pittsburgh.

I don't think the Leafs need another goalie really, they should get Korpisalo for insurance as he's turning it around and won't cost too much.
leafs101 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.
There is a less than zero percent chance the Ducks are going to trade Gibson, and retain that much for 5!!!!!! seasons for Matt Murray tears of joy tears of joy
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: Salzy
There is a less than zero percent chance the Ducks are going to trade Gibson, and retain that much for 5!!!!!! seasons for Matt Murray tears of joy tears of joy

just what i saw. wouldn't be for murray, he'd just have to go the other way in the package to make the money work.
Salzy liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Well the Penguins are about to be in desperation mode, Jarry is just more of the same. They got a lot of dollars locked up on older players, so would be difficult for them to go get a forward. So, I'm guessing they take that gamble that Gibson can be better or they go for Demko. Perhaps they then deal Jarry to LA.

I think everyone should go back to where they are from Jarry to BC, Demko to California (LA is the only realistic option imo), and Gibson to Pittsburgh.

I don't think the Leafs need another goalie really, they should get Korpisalo for insurance as he's turning it around and won't cost too much.

yea I am also big on Korpi insurance. Cheap, needed with Murray injuries and Sammy inexperience imo, and has some track-record playoff success. Just starting to think though, the only real game-changing add the Leafs could possibly make now imo is a superstar goalie that could actually compete a bit with Vasi (not saying we can get anyone as good or better but just someone in that true established upper echelon). I don't think Gibson is him, just spitballing
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.
You get a healthier goalie with worse numbers and hope that he turns it around on a better team. A ton of risk here for Toronto. Best part of murrays contract is it is only 1 more year. Personally wouldnt touch gibsons contract
leafs101 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: Salzy

In fairness to the OP, he did put "What would we have to give up to do this".

Trading Gibby is such a dangerous move for all parties involved. There's only one scenario that doesn't equate to a GM eating a poison pill-The Ducks get a solid return, and Gibby shows how great he can be behind a solid d-core.

The other two scenarios inevitably result in someone looking really, really bad:
-Ducks get a haul, Gibby sucks.
-Ducks get nothing, Gibby is great.

Biased me knows that Gibby is outstanding, and that he's so much better than the numbers, but if I put on my "unbiased" hat for a second, I just don't know how I'd feel comfortable giving up a solid package. Maybe I do it if I get out of a bad contract at the same time?
leafs101 and Salzy liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7

Trading Gibby is such a dangerous move for all parties involved. There's only one scenario that doesn't equate to a GM eating a poison pill-The Ducks get a solid return, and Gibby shows how great he can be behind a solid d-core.

The other two scenarios inevitably result in someone looking really, really bad:

Biased me know that Gibby is outstanding, and that he's so much better than the numbers, but if I put on my "unbiased" hat for a second, I just don't know how I'd feel comfortable giving up a solid package. Maybe I do it if I get out of a bad contract at the same time?

yea, I agree that I think he's solid but also the risk factor is undeniable. I don't think the Ducks move him without a solid return. So now the risk is the contract + the solid acquisition cost. This is why I don't think a deal will actually get done.
Salzy and Lenny7 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
yea I am also big on Korpi insurance. Cheap, needed with Murray injuries and Sammy inexperience imo, and has some track-record playoff success. Just starting to think though, the only real game-changing add the Leafs could possibly make now imo is a superstar goalie that could actually compete a bit with Vasi (not saying we can get anyone as good or better but just someone in that true established upper echelon). I don't think Gibson is him, just spitballing

Most teams don't have game-changing goalies. The Leafs just really need to shore up the defense and this point and that's not to say that they are bad. It would just be like Colorado adding Manson or Tampa adding Savard. The Leafs might not win regardless but I'm certain that they should bring back Samsonov and O'Reilly. They need to get home ice advantage and just win it in 5 or 6, hopefully O'Reilly can help them with ending the series, that's really what the Leafs problem has been, the last two years, and arguably all 6 years.
leafs101 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7

Biased me knows that Gibby is outstanding, and that he's so much better than the numbers, but if I put on my "unbiased" hat for a second, I just don't know how I'd feel comfortable giving up a solid package. Maybe I do it if I get out of a bad contract at the same time?

yea, I agree that I think he's solid but also the risk factor is undeniable. I don't think the Ducks move him without a solid return. So now the risk is the contract + the solid acquisition cost. This is why I don't think a deal will actually get done.

Oh yeah I did the capfriendly cardinal sin of commenting before reading (a toddler running around does that sometimes tears of joy)

I dont think a Gibby trade can happen in season though way too complicated of a deal

I think the team acquiring him would be doing so expecting a + starting goalie for the next 5 seasons, theres no reason to take the risk regardless of cost to acquire imo

Now the days of thinking Gibson is going to return something astronomical are behind us, but I just dont see us retaining anything over 1M and any retention probably comes at the cost of a 1st (5 seasons is alot to retain for even if Gibsons deal is overpriced)

Only way I see Gibson traded (this offseason) is if when the goalie carousel stops spinning a top 5-10 team in the league has a opening at starting goalie

Trading for Gibson is only worth the risk if the team in question is a goalie away
Lenny7 and leafs101 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
Lenny7

Sadly, Gibby plays behind a rec-hockey style defence, and has since Eakins was hired (Surprise! The numbers dipped as soon as he rolled into town!). Whatever happens, whether he stays or goes, I just want him to have NHL caliber d-system in front of him.

My honest hope is that Eakins gets replaced before we see things like Gibby being traded, and Comtois, etc. I'd like to see these guys get a chance under someone else, before we inevitably sell low on them.
leafs101 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll