Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 23, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
Tfw get to play both sides :^)
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
Quoting: JmoneyTalk
Holland and the oilers have nothing to do with this trade and likely would gone into a bidding war and paid much if they showed interest. Lots of of options still out there. Keep your head up. You’re doomed for disappointed if you consider every trade another team makes a failure for the oilers.

Just more negative reinforcement while Ken does absolutely nothing yet went out of his way over the Summer overpaying to dump Kassian.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:02 p.m.
Wild Fan
Quoting: Stones6160
Time to say it again

What are the Wild doing, burning more money for draft capital when your window is now and the flames are right there…..

As for Boston and Washington, I like this for both sides. And I do see Hathaway re-sign with Boston. He seems like he’d fit the scheme perfectly. While Washington finally is getting a kick to a well needed rebuild

Yes we're in our window, but it's not as open as it was last year. It's a retooling year, with the playoffs still very much in the cards.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:02 p.m.
What a great deal for Boston
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
Do Bap
As a Leafs fan, I think I'm more afraid of Boston adding Hathaway.

Man's a force out there, and now I'm thinking we need Jeannot to counter.
Andy_Dick, SoFlaSooner and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: soxpatsceltics
I mean the Bruins just found their partner for McAvoy in the playoffs when they can't consistently play 5'9 Gryz and ROR just moves Tavares to LW... Not sure how you can say that ROR is the more useful player in terms of team situation and building. The Top 6 wasn't an issue for Toronto, ROR may be the bigger name, but even Orlov would be more impactful on the Leafs when they're still rolling Holl, Timmons and some combo of Sandin/Liljegren with a combined 7 games playoff experience.

If you think defense is more useful to the leafs you clearly know nothing about them lol. A top 6 forward was their biggest need.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:12 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
If you think defense is more useful to the leafs you clearly know nothing about them lol. A top 6 forward was their biggest need.

Prior to the ROR acquisition the Leafs top 5 of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Bunting make a combined 41 million, and that's with Bunting making less than a million. The Bruins top 6 is being paid less than 24 million combined. So adding another 7.5 million player to the top 6 surely will solve all their problems right?? Definitely don't look at the fact that the Leafs are dressing kids under 25 and someone who should be a healthy scratch in Holl in their bottom 4, definitely don't address that.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: DoBap
As a Leafs fan, I think I'm more afraid of Boston adding Hathaway.

Man's a force out there, and now I'm thinking we need Jeannot to counter.

Missing that empty net last year in game 4 when the Caps were up in the series and game with the goalie pulled, I feel, sunk them. Hathaway was absolutely driving the Panthers stars insane. I think he will be on a mission this year after that blunder. I agree, he will be a handful for anybody. Josh Anderson, Armia and Perry drove the Leafs crazy in 2021. It was Nick Paul and Perry last year.
SoFlaSooner liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:20 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Apparently this is the year of Eff them picks out east. Going to make for some legendary playoff games. NYR and Toronto loading up on offense, Boston loading up on shutdown guys to be an absolute B**tard to play against.

Let's see if the old addage about defense wins playoffs happens.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
yotes own canada
Sad to see Orlov and Hath go but this is pretty good value
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:28 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Missing that empty net last year in game 4 when the Caps were up in the series and game with the goalie pulled, I feel, sunk them. Hathaway was absolutely driving the Panthers stars insane. I think he will be on a mission this year after that blunder. I agree, he will be a handful for anybody. Josh Anderson, Armia and Perry drove the Leafs crazy in 2021. It was Nick Paul and Perry last year.

That game 4 crushed my soul more than any playoff loss to the Penguins or Rangers did, I'll say it without a hint of joking. They win that game they win that series against a team they were more than capable of beating. Instead they completely unravel.
Andy_Dick and SoFlaSooner liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: soxpatsceltics
Prior to the ROR acquisition the Leafs top 5 of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Bunting make a combined 41 million, and that's with Bunting making less than a million. The Bruins top 6 is being paid less than 24 million combined. So adding another 7.5 million player to the top 6 surely will solve all their problems right?? Definitely don't look at the fact that the Leafs are dressing kids under 25 and someone who should be a healthy scratch in Holl in their bottom 4, definitely don't address that.

Earlier this year the leafs were top 3 in goals against and outside the top 10 in goals for. Lately the offense has picked up and the goalies have struggled (so they are currently both about even), but the defence has been pretty solid all year long. Their biggest priority was always depth scoring (I should have just said depth scoring instead of top 6 winger, but you get the point).
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
The bruins will sign some college free agents that will essentially replace the 2nd and 3rd rounders.
SoFlaSooner and Bruins1054_gmb liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:47 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
This is a pretty fair deal. A pretty surprising one as well. Orlov was literally never talked about as a potential target of a playoff team. Boston gets grit(even more) and this will only make the team scarier. This team has got to be the cup favourite right now.
Washington gets a good haul plus a useable player in Smith.
Why is Minnesota retaining in these major deals? IMO, it makes ZERO sense: they're gunning for 3rd in Central, probably going to make some deadline buy if they want to win pre-cap crunch and need CAP to do that. Braindead IMO.
RawDeal liked this.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 7:55 p.m.
FanOfAllTeams
Why is Svetlakov on two teams?
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
As a Leafs fan I gotta say Boston wins or fair. All said and done it's extremely similar to the Leafs trade. And while RO'R's ceiling was obviously higher than orlov's, orlov is closer to his. I was content with the cost for the Leafs, thus gotta say Boston did well here.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:05 p.m.
As an addition, to those who watch Boston: was this necessary? Boston has been winning at the best or near the best (haven't checked in a bit) rate into he salary cap era. Did they have flaws that this fixed? Or did they just try to make small upgrades? If it was for small upgrades I'd have hesitated to, as why mess with the chemistry of such a well working machine. Regardless cost was fair
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:08 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Apparently this is the year of Eff them picks out east. Going to make for some legendary playoff games. NYR and Toronto loading up on offense, Boston loading up on shutdown guys to be an absolute B**tard to play against.

Let's see if the old addage about defense wins playoffs happens.

Leafs added forwards but both more two way than necessarily "offense" or at least offense first players. Tarasenko is definitely an offense first guy though.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:29 p.m.
Very close to what Toronto paid for O’Reilly and Acciari, and similar situation with both teams being all in due to a potentially short win window, Toronto being more desperate because Boston is already the best team in the league, but Boston knows they can’t take that for granted when they playoffs come.

The main differences between this trade and the Toronto trade are a later 1st-round pick (unless Toronto makes it to the final four), and the inclusion of Smith, which I think is actually a plus for both teams, especially Boston because it means this deal didn’t cost them any cap space. He fell down in their depth chart this year to the point where they won’t miss him if their other forwards stay healthy, and Hathaway is probably a better fit for a bottom 6 role.

Meanwhile, Washington still has a realistic chance of making the playoffs if they can put the brakes on their current losing streak, so getting back an NHL player who was a top-6 forward as recently as last year may help keep their playoff hopes alive (though Smith has never done much in the playoffs). I’m a little surprised they decided to be a seller, because they’re only struggling because of injuries, and I thought they were all about trying to win another cup before Ovechkin retires. I wonder if they consulted him before making this deal.

Minnesota is a fringe playoff team. I think they’re going to get in, but I guess they’ve decided their position isn’t strong enough to buy rental players or weak enough to sell them, so they’re just going to hang onto what they have and sell their cap space for whatever they can get for it. This time of year it’s use it or lose it. That said, I think they’re still one player under the retained salary limit, so these moves don’t prevent them from trading Dumba, but they do make it more difficult for them to be a buyer.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:33 p.m.
Excellent haul for a couple of rental players!

Hopefully, Orlov signs with the Caps in the off-season.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:44 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
BOS win to fair deal.
BOS has elite D-core 4 and strong group of seven/playoff depth. Grit in Hathaway is excellent as he's a pain in the arse to play against.
WSH gets some solid picks to re-tool or package-up for other deals.

Smitty loses.
But he was not very good this year despite spending ample time on lines 1 + 2...
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:51 p.m.
The Bruins are going for it. This is their best chance to win a cup and honestly those picks are like scratch tickets. The odds of picks playing 100 NHL games:

Last 1st - 65%
2nd - 35%
3rd - 25%

Now lets say those picks do hit. They likely don't see the NHL for 3-4 years after being selected. For Boston and where they are, the value of guys like Orlov & Hathaway outweigh maybe having guys 3-8 years from now playing in the NHL.
Feb. 23, 2023 at 8:54 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Are the Wild the place where everyone goes to for the 25% retained?
Feb. 23, 2023 at 9:00 p.m.
Chris Peralta
I think this solidifies that the Capitals are more than likely not making the playoffs this season
Feb. 23, 2023 at 9:12 p.m.
Need salary retained? Minnesota has you covered

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit