SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(MTL/DAL) - Dadonov for Gurianov

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 26, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
Gurianov is a pending RFA while Dadonov is a pending UFA.

Gurianov is 25 while Dadonov is 33.

Gurianov has no trade protection while Dadonov has a 10 team no trade list.

Gurianov is due to be paid 2.9 million in salary while Dadonov is due to be paid 6.5 million in salary.

Gurianov has 1 successful playoff run in his career while Dadonov has 0.

Guiranov is a former first round pick while Dadonov was traded for an LTIR placement last summer.

This is not a fair deal for Dallas.

Montreal wins the trade.

your explanations are always so arbitrary. why do you take into account the fact gurianov had playoff succes while dadnov barerly played in any but not the fact he is a former 70 point player.

why do previous trades matter? if dadonov was traded for a free for ltir player and gurianov is then traded for dadanov, doesnt it means that dadnov is worth then?

and who cares about draft positions.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
Habs4Ever
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Gurianov has been straight trash this year, but there's potential there. Had an amazing playoff run with Dallas a few years ago, hopefully Montreal can help him reach that potential again.

Dadonov is wildly inconsistent, but should be able to help Dallas when he's on his game. W for both teams

If we can bring out his potential from even last year, yes. Otherwise we drop him.

Strongly agree with you
Like a 100%
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
Meh for meh.
Dadonov was getting a 3rd or 4th. None of this is earth shattering.

Makes Mtl worse in the meantime as Dadonov was playing better recently and Habs were winning too much. Took a toy away from MSL who's coaching this team to wins that dont benefit Mtl in the long run.
That is a win, itself.

I could only imagine if Ken Holland actually had a pulse on his own team but nepotism pays better in his world.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: drambui
your explanations are always so arbitrary. why do you take into account the fact gurianov had playoff succes while dadnov barerly played in any but not the fact he is a former 70 point player.

why do previous trades matter? if dadonov was traded for a free for ltir player and gurianov is then traded for dadanov, doesnt it means that dadnov is worth then?

and who cares about draft positions.

I gave a pretty straightforward explanation on why I thought Montreal won a trade.

Some of the points I made echo what others have said here and the majority of voters think Montreal is the clear winner.

If I were you, I would be liking my post instead of trashing it, given that Montreal is your favourite team.

But you be you.
habitantlecolon liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
we miss leo k
Gurianov is a pending RFA while Dadonov is a pending UFA.

Gurianov is 25 while Dadonov is 33.

Gurianov has no trade protection while Dadonov has a 10 team no trade list.

Gurianov is due to be paid 2.9 million in salary while Dadonov is due to be paid 6.5 million in salary.

Gurianov has 1 successful playoff run in his career while Dadonov has 0.

Guiranov is a former first round pick while Dadonov was traded for an LTIR placement last summer.

This is not a fair deal for Dallas.

Montreal wins the trade.

Montreal is retaining 50% of Dadonov's cap - so Dallas pays the prorated amount of $3.25M vs. the pro-rated amount of $2.9M that Gurianov was owed (so something like $82K in real money) while actually clearing an extra $400K in cap space this year.

Since 2018-19, Gurianov has 45-54-99 in 235 GP (basically a 16-19-35/82 GP pace); Dadonov is 62-66-128 in 252 GP (more or less a 21-21-42/82 GP pace).

Gurianov was a 1st round pick all the way back in 2015. Are we gonna go ahead and say that Ottawa trading for Zach Senyshyn last deadline was a huge coup because he, too, was a 1st rounder in 2015?

It's a fair deal. It was unlikely that Dallas was going to qualify Gurianov this summer anyways, so they swap a younger underperforming guy for an older underperforming guy with a lower cap hit and a better track record of regular season performance.
sensonfire, drambui, eazy_duz_it and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
Edited Feb. 26, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
If both teams are happy, don't know how you can justify it being bad or good...

Gurianov has been terrible this year but is young enough to hopefully rebound, if not hes not resigned. Dadonov had some flashes but looked so disinterested most of the time. Hes a soon to be 34 year old pending free agent on his last legs more than likely.

Long story short, both teams bought a lottery ticket and are crossing their fingers to get some sort of value here. Not a big money lottery ticket mind you, one of those scratch tickets where the big prize is a free entry to the zoo for a day.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.
I gave a pretty straightforward explanation on why I thought Montreal won a trade.

Some of the points I made echo what others have said here and the majority of voters think Montreal is the clear winner.

If I were you, I would be liking my post instead of trashing it, given that Montreal is your favourite team.

But you be you.

i think its a fair trade, its just weird to me that you go in such depth explanation and ommit things (that i feel) would be very important to gauge a trade value. in the end its just opinion on what we think has values.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:22 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
Montreal is retaining 50% of Dadonov's cap - so Dallas pays the prorated amount of $3.25M vs. the pro-rated amount of $2.9M that Gurianov was owed (so something like $82K in real money) while actually clearing an extra $400K in cap space this year.

Since 2018-19, Gurianov has 45-54-99 in 235 GP (basically a 16-19-35/82 GP pace); Dadonov is 62-66-128 in 252 GP (more or less a 21-21-42/82 GP pace).

Gurianov was a 1st round pick all the way back in 2015. Are we gonna go ahead and say that Ottawa trading for Zach Senyshyn last deadline was a huge coup because he, too, was a 1st rounder in 2015?

It's a fair deal. It was unlikely that Dallas was going to qualify Gurianov this summer anyways, so they swap a younger underperforming guy for an older underperforming guy with a lower cap hit and a better track record of regular season performance.

You made some interesting points here.

I appreciate them.

Thank you cheers
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:26 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: drambui
i think its a fair trade, its just weird to me that you go in such depth explanation and ommit things (that i feel) would be very important to gauge a trade value. in the end its just opinion on what we think has values.

To each his own.
drambui and habitantlecolon liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.
To each his own.

i'll try to be more constructive next time and less ''trash comment''!
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
jeremy clackston
Fair deal, gurianov has been terrible, so the Habs can take a flyer on him and I do think he'll turn his game around to have around a 35 pt season. Dadanov did not have much value as of recent but is a decent veteran player and a guy that will help stabilize the Stars playoff run
Feb. 26, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: pinslack
As it is, nope and thats the point of the trade ; MTL takes a flyer on him and tells Gurianov "show me if you're worth it"

Yeah, no matter what I think getting a positive value asset for Dadonov is a Montreal win. But there’s a good chance we all forget about this in 6 months if Gurianov doesn’t get QO’d
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Dadonov=negative value
Gurianov=neutral value

Montreal wins
Feb. 26, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
People are going to say the Canadiens won the trade, but the reality is that the Stars were not going to qualify Gurianov. His QO is too high for what he has brought, and even if he doesn't sign his QO he has a strong enough resume to get an arbitration settlement that is higher than his QO but lower than the amount a team is allowed to walk away from a player at.

He's 26 in June. He is just as much of a finished product as Dadonov is. There is a chance that the Canadians might get a leg up on extending him to a contract at a more appropriate AAV that he otherwise would not have signed with Dallas because a UFA (which he'd be if not qualified) isn't staying in a system where he has seen a downturn.

This is as win-win as it gets. Dallas doesn't care if Gurianov becomes a solid top 9 forward for Montreal (which is far from guaranteed). He wasn't going to become that for them, and was going to leave at the end of the season when he wasn't qualified. He also probably had no value in a trade due to his cap hit. With this trade, they possibly get a motivated Dadonov down the stretch, who historically has been a better player than Gurianov. Given that they are contending for a cup, the upside there is more than worth it.

Trades like this are what trading is all about. All four parties in the trade (both players, both teams) leave the trade better off. Nobody is hurt. Nobody is fleeced.

Based on the reactions to this trade, you can tell which posters understand the mechanisms of the salary cap and how it effects trades, along with how teams manage their competitive windows. The "gurianov is 26" takes show a complete lack of understanding about how anything works with salary cap, ironically on a site dedicated to the cap.
jr400 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
I was just about to say, this was highway robbery remembering Gurianov from previous seasons, than I looked at this season, what ?

Still a Habs win. But not as I originally thought.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: budgeteam
People are going to say the Canadiens won the trade, but the reality is that the Stars were not going to qualify Gurianov. His QO is too high for what he has brought, and even if he doesn't sign his QO he has a strong enough resume to get an arbitration settlement that is higher than his QO but lower than the amount a team is allowed to walk away from a player at.

He's 26 in June. He is just as much of a finished product as Dadonov is. There is a chance that the Canadians might get a leg up on extending him to a contract at a more appropriate AAV that he otherwise would not have signed with Dallas because a UFA (which he'd be if not qualified) isn't staying in a system where he has seen a downturn.

This is as win-win as it gets. Dallas doesn't care if Gurianov becomes a solid top 9 forward for Montreal (which is far from guaranteed). He wasn't going to become that for them, and was going to leave at the end of the season when he wasn't qualified. He also probably had no value in a trade due to his cap hit. With this trade, they possibly get a motivated Dadonov down the stretch, who historically has been a better player than Gurianov. Given that they are contending for a cup, the upside there is more than worth it.

Trades like this are what trading is all about. All four parties in the trade (both players, both teams) leave the trade better off. Nobody is hurt. Nobody is fleeced.

Based on the reactions to this trade, you can tell which posters understand the mechanisms of the salary cap and how it effects trades, along with how teams manage their competitive windows. The "gurianov is 26" takes show a complete lack of understanding about how anything works with salary cap, ironically on a site dedicated to the cap.

IMO, this was the wrong move for Dallas. Hoffman would have been the guy, but only if they didn't find someone better by the deadline. Neiderreiter would have worked and was affordable. Hoffman would be cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Dadonov does appear to have the mind, but the body seems to lag behind. It leads to a lot of "almost good" hockey from him. Every once in a while he's in sync, but most of the time you can see what he's trying to do, but the strength, speed, or coordination simply aren't there. He ends up skating laps without much impact as a result.

Gurianov is young enough for the game to be mental for him and can still be taught to use his abilities to be effective, even if it isn't in a top 6 role. I'm not saying you'll be able to turn him from an offensive player to a defensive one, but he can be a bottom 6 contributor in a secondary production role. Dallas is infamous for its stifling systems play that limits their offense and that's the structure he's been placed in for the majority of his career. He could flourish if allowed more freedom and ice time.

Regardless, this trade is something for nothing. Dadnov's return would have been minimal and he wasn't being re-signed. Gurianov represents a better opportunity for value than a 4/5th round pick.
There's no commitment beyond this season for him either. The team has the right to walk away from an award in player-elected arbitration, so unless the team takes him to arbitration, they won't be handcuffed. They will likely sign him for less on a prove-it deal if he shows any potential, or they can simply qualify him since his cap hit won't be prohibitive next season anyway.
If they walk away and let him go to free agency, no big loss.

Personally, I'd like to see what he's capable of under MSL and he'll have some opportunity with our personnel losses this season. He'll get to play some higher minutes in middle 6 roles, maybe even a top line audition with Suzuki, and some 2nd unit PP time.

Montreal only stands to gain from this deal, and already have by unloading Weber's contract in the first place, so any value from Gurianov is gravy.
sensonfire, Andy_Dick and Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: ricochetii
IMO, this was the wrong move for Dallas. Hoffman would have been the guy, but only if they didn't find someone better by the deadline. Neiderreiter would have worked and was affordable. Hoffman would be cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Dadonov does appear to have the mind, but the body seems to lag behind. It leads to a lot of "almost good" hockey from him. Every once in a while he's in sync, but most of the time you can see what he's trying to do, but the strength, speed, or coordination simply aren't there. He ends up skating laps without much impact as a result.

Gurianov is young enough for the game to be mental for him and can still be taught to use his abilities to be effective, even if it isn't in a top 6 role. I'm not saying you'll be able to turn him from an offensive player to a defensive one, but he can be a bottom 6 contributor in a secondary production role. Dallas is infamous for its stifling systems play that limits their offense and that's the structure he's been placed in for the majority of his career. He could flourish if allowed more freedom and ice time.

Regardless, this trade is something for nothing. Dadnov's return would have been minimal and he wasn't being re-signed. Gurianov represents a better opportunity for value than a 4/5th round pick.
There's no commitment beyond this season for him either. The team has the right to walk away from an award in player-elected arbitration, so unless the team takes him to arbitration, they won't be handcuffed. They will likely sign him for less on a prove-it deal if he shows any potential, or they can simply qualify him since his cap hit won't be prohibitive next season anyway.
If they walk away and let him go to free agency, no big loss.

Personally, I'd like to see what he's capable of under MSL and he'll have some opportunity with our personnel losses this season. He'll get to play some higher minutes in middle 6 roles, maybe even a top line audition with Suzuki, and some 2nd unit PP time.

Montreal only stands to gain from this deal, and already have by unloading Weber's contract in the first place, so any value from Gurianov is gravy.

The issue with Hoffman is that he has another year on his contract at an inflated cap hit.

This was a change of scenery trade for Dallas. They were almost certainly not going to be able to keep Gurianov after this season since his QO exceeded his level of play. Gurianov may not have had any takers in a trade due to his cap hit, and Gurianov was not helping them win hockey games.

They took a sunk cost (cap wise) and exchanged him for a player who might help them down the stretch if they respond positively to the change of scenery.

People seem to ignore that in the shoes of Dallas, they swapped a no value UFA for another no value UFA. Even if Gurianov signs a cheap 1-2 year extension with Montreal and bounces back as a reclamation project, that outcome was never available to Dallas at this point, and nobody was ponying up a major asset for Gurianov.

Like I said before, this is a great trade because it's the definition of win-win-win-win. Most people here just looked at Gurianov's age and ignored any cap or contractual related factors that might be relevant to this deal. All four parties are better off because both teams weighed their unique situations against each other and found a trade that worked for both of them without hurting either side.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Lol at the Habs fans that told me he'd get a 1st at the deadline
Feb. 26, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Go Habs Go
The issue with Hoffman is that he has another year on his contract at an inflated cap hit.

This was a change of scenery trade for Dallas. They were almost certainly not going to be able to keep Gurianov after this season since his QO exceeded his level of play. Gurianov may not have had any takers in a trade due to his cap hit, and Gurianov was not helping them win hockey games.

They took a sunk cost (cap wise) and exchanged him for a player who might help them down the stretch if they respond positively to the change of scenery.

People seem to ignore that in the shoes of Dallas, they swapped a no value UFA for another no value UFA. Even if Gurianov signs a cheap 1-2 year extension with Montreal and bounces back as a reclamation project, that outcome was never available to Dallas at this point, and nobody was ponying up a major asset for Gurianov.

Like I said before, this is a great trade because it's the definition of win-win-win-win. Most people here just looked at Gurianov's age and ignored any cap or contractual related factors that might be relevant to this deal. All four parties are better off because both teams weighed their unique situations against each other and found a trade that worked for both of them without hurting either side.

Seeing who "won" the trade, I'm considering the net in/out of each team and long term impact.
Worst outcome for both is a swap of no value UFA's, but Montreal can get more in a best outcome scenario.
Best outcome for Dallas is re-signing a depreciating asset. Best outcome for Montreal is re-signing an asset in his prime.
That's enough for the edge to Montreal.

Quoting: DongLord23

I haven't seen that, but it's obviously ridiculous. They did however get a former 1st, so technically not incorrect? lol
(I'm kidding of course.)
sensonfire and Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.

A lot of words when you could have just said the Habs are taking a page out of the Hawks books and trying to be actively worse removing a player that was in a groove with their top6 for another player In Gurianov that resembles Hoffman in his defensive liabilities.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 3:52 p.m.
I hate how much I like this for the habs (Leafs fan). Great gamble
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Neither player is good enough to figure out who gets the better player. Montreal pays more in money and cap space, but that doesn't matter for them.

IFF Montreal can resign Denis Gurianov for a good price, then they win. If both teams are just rentals, because neither player improves, then it is a fair trade.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
Fair deal for both sides.

Anyone touting Gurianov as anything other than a 1-dimensional, low IQ forward, is likely a fan of an Eastern Conference team and doesn't see him very often. squinty smile

That being said, I hope he does well and is able to carve out a space in the NHL.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: DongLord23

You should probably continue reading the conversation. Seems your have some sort of memory loss.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
You should probably continue reading the conversation. Seems your have some sort of memory loss.

"Yeah I'll start it already. Massive return as in 1st round pick + meh prospect. That's a massive return IMO . Hell even a 2nd round pick is good enough"

"Dadonov is not a cap dump"

"Dadonov is a positive asset"

You just can't admit you were wrong lol.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit