SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(VGK/STL) - Dean for Barbashev

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 26, 2023 at 3:05 p.m.
You guys scoff but do you know how much money Vegas is saving on not needing a good development system? Just pick n trade baby. Make others pay for it
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
I would have figured STL could have gotten a tad more, but maybe they really like Deans game. Seems fair. We’ll see what Dean can do once he turns pro next year.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: CoraStorm
Dean's ppg has suffered a little bit in the last 15 to 17 games since Kidney showed up in Gatineau from Acad Bathurst. Kidney's a 2.53 player since arriving there (Montreal hasn't shown him yet) - the same ppg as Bedard but Dean's was 17 points in approx the last 15 gms, 49 pts in 38 gms.

2 years after being drafted, those numbers are pedestrian in the Q. Kidney isnt even an elite prospect and is showing him up.
jpsnow13 and Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
feelsbadman
Quoting: poeticentropy
You guys scoff but do you know how much money Vegas is saving on not needing a good development system? Just pick n trade baby. Make others pay for it

until your entire team is 40 and cant win a single game XD
poeticentropy liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
This is a steal for Vegas, no?

They get a very good middle 6 center who's young and they could even possibly resign for last years 31st overall pick who's not having a great season.

Where did you get that idea that Dean is "not having a great season"?

But no, it's a pretty damn good deal for both teams.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: mokumboi
Where did you get that idea that Dean is "not having a great season"?

But no, it's a pretty damn good deal for both teams.

He's 4th on his team in scoring (6 more points than Riley Kidney who's played 21 less games) also Montreals 4th Round pick who's a year younger.

You'd expect a lot more production from a 20 YO in the QMJHL
Andy_Dick, jpsnow13 and Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:13 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Its a fine deal. I dont know why ppl think the Blues got this amazing deal, Dean, has a long injury history and projects as a 3rd line checking center. Barbachev is already better than that.

Age and term. Barbachev is a rental. Granted, Vegas gets first crack at negotiating with him this summer, but that's it. So they are given up a much younger prospect with two more years in their contract for a player who might only be with them for a few months.

I don't think it is a massive overpay, but I do think the Blues won.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
He's 4th on his team in scoring (6 more points than Riley Kidney who's played 21 less games) also Montreals 4th Round pick who's a year younger.

A PPG in the Q at Dean's age is the story of hundreds of prospects that went nowhere. You do that in your draft season not D+2
Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.
A PPG in the Q at Dean's age is the story of hundreds of prospects that went nowhere. You do that in your draft season not D+2

Depends on the type of prospect. If they are an all skill type of player sure. Dean is a tenacious two way guy. I don't really see him as a top line player. More of a 2nd/3rd line tough two way C.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.
mokumboi

Not everything is about points, man. That said, his scoring rates are still up over last season, and what shines brightest in the Q doesn;t always shine in the NHL.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: mokumboi
Not everything is about points, man. That said, his scoring rates are still up over last season, and what shines brightest in the Q doesn;t always shine in the NHL.

I realize not everything is about points, but you'd expect a 20 YO former 1st round pick to have more points than that.
Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 5:01 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Slight STL win.

Zach Dean a former 1st round pick for a middle 6 forward who's a rental.

Vegas gets a hell of a player tho on a cheap contract which will help them for a cup run.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 5:05 p.m.
Big Dawg JT
Barabashev's three playoff goals in fifty games and horrendous defense is rly gonna scare the opposition
Feb. 26, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I'd say Vegas wins this one. Barbashev could still be better, he was so good last year, you never know.
Andy_Dick and Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 7:17 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
I assume Vegas kept their pick because they have another trade lined up. Otherwise, would they not get more value from keeping a prospect who has already developed for a few years? They are going to need ELC+non-arb RFA talent to fill the gaps in their lineup. If they keep their 2023 pick, that player isn't likely to figure in for 3+ years.

I don’t know Dean, but it’s possible his stock has gone down since he was drafted and he’s not considered as valuable as the 2023 1st even with the 2-year head start. That said, Vegas is rumoured to be on the short list for Meier, so I suspect the real reason is that the 2023 1st is part of the package being offered for him.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 7:40 p.m.
hes dynamite
i mean... barbashev is a good player. But i mean... how long can vegas keep this up, at some point this teams gonna absolutely crumble right?
Feb. 27, 2023 at 12:00 a.m.
I make typos
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
The Leafs.
No the Devils.
No the Flames.
No the Kings.
No the Lightning.
No the Canes.
No the Av's.
No the Oilers.
No the Kraken.
No the Sens.
No the Bruins.
No the nobody's.

lol
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: TN_T
i mean... barbashev is a good player. But i mean... how long can vegas keep this up, at some point this teams gonna absolutely crumble right?

Quoting: BeautifulIdiot
VGK hates their own 1st rounders

They are smart. They know its magic beans!

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Fair deal, sure, Dean has some promise but i'd argue Dean's ceiling is close to what Barbashev currently is

Its a fine deal. I dont know why ppl think the Blues got this amazing deal, Dean, has a long injury history and projects as a 3rd line checking center. Barbachev is already better than that. Just more assets for the Blues rebuild/retool and Vegas gets a relatively cheap rental when deadline prices are usually quite high.

Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Age and term. Barbachev is a rental. Granted, Vegas gets first crack at negotiating with him this summer, but that's it. So they are given up a much younger prospect with two more years in their contract for a player who might only be with them for a few months.

Those few months are always the most important when you win a Cup. Dean is a nothing burger.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit