(NSH/TBL) - Jeannot for Foote, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 24, 2023 at 4:59 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: capsfan2121
This has to be one of the worst trades of all time

Really dude.. the series isn't over yet.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29, 2023 at 10:27 p.m.
SEA GM v5
Quoting: Ritzy

I need an update on this.
Apr. 29, 2023 at 10:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yea Jeannot could prove it wrong next year but trading a draft class of picks and a young Dman for a guy who missed game one than was a healthy scratch games 5 and 6 does not seem like good asset management
sensonfire, CSStrowbridge, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 1:43 a.m.
I make typos
Edited Apr. 30, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
Can’t use the got the cup excuse for this trade, this is definitely going to go down as a all time worst one, there is no way Nashville doesn’t get at least 2 NHLers from those picks
sensonfire, CSStrowbridge, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
Your thinking is so one-dimensional it's insane.

Quoting: JTBF81
Again, based on your opinion, he overpaid. Not based on what many teams thought he was worth. Myself and most Tampa fans will trust Tampa's front office when it comes to player evaluation in trades. 2 cups and 3 straight finals, not to mention being one of, if not the most successful team for the last 8 or so years, gives JBB and Co. a large benefit of the doubt. Most sensible ppl I speak with also don't judge trades by small sample sizes or the price paid on trade day, but this is an online forum, so those types are few and far between on here.

What are your thoughts now?
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
Carbon
12 people wish they could change their votes RN
CSStrowbridge and Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
What are your thoughts now?

My thoughts are the same as before. Like I said, he's not a rental. If you want to jump on the wagon that thinks this is the worst trade in history, be my guest. If you can't understand why he was a healthy scratch or why this trade is far from being able to be judged, that's fine too, it don't affect me none.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:17 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
My thoughts are the same as before. Like I said, he's not a rental. If you want to jump on the wagon that thinks this is the worst trade in history, be my guest. If you can't understand why he was a healthy scratch or why this trade is far from being able to be judged, that's fine too, it don't affect me none.

Doubling down and moving the goalposts.

Your thinking is so one-dimensional, it's insane.
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:45 a.m.
Rutta 4ever
Injuries happen. Whatever.

My issue with getting Jeannot:

JBB went against what worked previous years. Goodrow, Coleman, Hagel, and Paul were all having career years when we traded for them. Jeannot was having his worst year and we still paid a premium for him.
I don't mind spending assets at the deadline, but JBB's hubris got the better of him here.
sensonfire, majormoose007, palhal and 4 others liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Edited Apr. 30, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy

It is now and he was a -3 in three games.

Yikes.

I understand trading to get depth for a playoff run, but in that case, you trade a midlevel pick.

Christ, Toronto traded a 3rd for Luke Schenn and Luke Schenn clearly had a bigger impact on the series.
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
I just checked...

Cal Foote scored 1 goal and added 3 assists while being a +3 in 24 games with Nashville.
Jeannot scored 1 goal and added 3 assists while being a -8 in 23 games with Tampa Bay, including playoffs.

If it were a 1 for 1 trade, it would be even right now.

Nashville getting a player and 5 draft picks in criminal.
sensonfire, Civil_Eng_PE, CoopsTroops and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 9:41 p.m.
At the time of this trade, I didn’t realize that Jeannot was a pending RFA. I was thinking this was another Hagel trade. That one looked like an overpay until you realized that the value in that trade was in Hagel’s contract – two more years at only $1.5M and then still a RFA after that. This was not the same thing at all, because Jeannot had no contract after the 2023 playoff run. They acquired him for an unknown number of years at an unknown cap hit. I think it looks better now that they’ve signed him for two more years, and if he bounces back to anywhere close to his old form he will be underpaid for those two years (though still not quite the bargain Hagel’s contract is), but it was risky clearing the cupboard for somebody who could have been awarded a higher AAV and a shorter term in arbitration.

The right question to ask when you’re evaluating this trade is not whether Tampa Bay will probably get more out of Jeannot than they would have got out of those draft picks if they had kept them, but whether they could have got more out of those picks by using them in different trades instead of burning them all on Jeannot. It’s all about the opportunity cost.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Jul. 16, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
There was sticker shock with this trade due to the quantity of picks. If Nashville put out a memo that they would trade all those picks in a package deal for a 2023 1st, I don't think anyone would take them up on it. The 3rd/4th/5th are all at the end of the round. The 1st is protected so it is anywhere from 2-3 years away. The 2nd is a year away and is probably also going to be at the end of the round.

The above is the reason why Tampa had to give up such a strange package. Nashville was probably asking for something like a 2023 1st, and both sides had to get creative. Whether it was the wrong player to go after or not, the picks aren't nearly the value people made them out to be. If Tampa traded a late 1st for Jeannot, people wouldn't care nearly as much despite a late 2023 1st arguably being more valuable than this entire package.
Rangsey and HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 7:38 a.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
I just checked...

Cal Foote scored 1 goal and added 3 assists while being a +3 in 24 games with Nashville.
Jeannot scored 1 goal and added 3 assists while being a -8 in 23 games with Tampa Bay, including playoffs.

If it were a 1 for 1 trade, it would be even right now.

Nashville getting a player and 5 draft picks in criminal.

Cal Foote didn't get qualified and signed a 2 way contract Jeannot resigned.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 9:06 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
Cal Foote didn't get qualified and signed a 2 way contract Jeannot resigned.

That makes the trade even worse. Cal Foote didn't play well enough to get a qualifying offer, yet he was still better than Jeannot was after the trade. Now Tampa has given away 5 draft picks for an OVERPAID player.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 3:45 a.m.
Edited Sep. 1, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
That makes the trade even worse. Cal Foote didn't play well enough to get a qualifying offer, yet he was still better than Jeannot was after the trade. Now Tampa has given away 5 draft picks for an OVERPAID player.

So the fact he was injured his third game means absolutely nothing at all .... That's a moronic take that shows you have no clue what so ever. Trades aren't just for 12 games especially when you resign a RFA
Sep. 1, 2023 at 8:30 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
So the fact he was injured his third game means absolutely nothing at all

He was a healthy scratch the in playoffs.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 8:48 p.m.
He was a healthy scratch the in playoffs.

No he wasn't healthy. Have you ever had a severe high ankle sprain? I broke my arm and it wasn't as painful. I can't imagine being 210lbs and trying to skate at an NHL level on one

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit