SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #12: Judgement Day Approaches

Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: kdawg32086
Alright, so who's getting traded tomorrow and what teams will still make trades before the deadline?

Second is Arizona selling. If the best deal for them was the way to save the most money, it’s possible any of their contracts with term are available.

Keller, Schmaltz, Crouse, Vehmelka could all be available.

They have 21 picks in the first 3 rounds of the next 3 drafts. It’s just stupid.

They’ll have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to hit the cap floor either way. If they’re this broke they’d probably prefer to do it with as little term as possible.

The theory earlier that the coyotes are basically a tool of the owners to manage costs, set markets, impose parity, stash franchise killing contracts, could be true.

Or their tiny arena could be a giant financial loss that’s pushing the organization to insolvency. They did miss payments this past season.

Since this would be a huge trade, it shouldn’t wait until the 11th hour.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:14 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Db1899
I had to lol

Winter of LOU got U...
Db1899 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:25 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: A2023tdlGuesses
I have to think buffalo does something. They have a 2 year window of freedom with the salary cap, they have prospects like crazy, and I feel their young team should get at least a round of playoff experience.

In 2 years they’ll have to pay literally their entire defense. All 6 of them. Dahlin, power, Jokiharju, etc. They’ll also have 8 forwards to pay next offseason and the defense apocalypse season. They have the least playoff experience on their roster of all playoff teams. They have 11 roster players under 24.

With Ottawa grabbing Chychrun they’re a threat to take one wildcard slot. Then there’s the islanders, penguins, redwings, panthers.

The Sabres should target somebody big with 2 years of term and consider it a rental with the goal of grabbing the second wildcard. Then push for the playoffs next season all a year older, then reset a year while the new roster settles, then be a true cup contender.

They shouldn’t wait until the 11th hour unless a deal is already in place.

An out-of-playoffs FWD list:
Bjugstad
Schmaltz
Crouse
Keller
Roslovic
Vatrano
Comtois
Domi
Raddysh
Dvorak...
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: McGruff
Bjugstad
Schmaltz
Crouse
Keller
Roslovic
Vatrano
Comtois
Domi
Raddysh
Dvorak...

Miller
Boeser
Garland
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Juiceman
Miller
Boeser
Garland

For BUFF? (edit - probably wasn't specific in the thread; being BUFF-related).

Maybe Garland, I'll grant you that...applaud
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:31 a.m.
Second is Arizona selling. If the best deal for them was the way to save the most money, it’s possible any of their contracts with term are available.

Keller, Schmaltz, Crouse, Vehmelka could all be available.

GMBA apparently denied a major sell off apart from the UFA crop (and Chychrun who wanted out). I think Schmaltz and his backloaded contract was definitely available, but he just left the game tonight with an "upper-body", and if they didn't want to bring money back for Chychrun, that means it was unlikely in a Schmaltz deal as well. Wouldn't expect too much back in that case, but also who can add that cap without more maneuvering? Crouse is publicly saying he wants to retire here, and he's a prototypical Armstrong player. Doubt he moves. Keller trade would be insane, even if they are rebuilding, and they will need to hit the floor somehow. Same contract/cap difficulties would exist as in a Schmaltz deal even if they did. I personally would trade Vegemite, but I think the club sees him as a feather in their proscouting-hat since rescuing him from the Czech Extraliga.

Gutierrez has already said the revenue from the Mullet is going to be low, and that they expected to run lean. Not sure I expected that meant they were going to under sell their best trade asset by avoiding taking salary back, so who knows how far they want to cut down to the bone. If someone can absorb one of the "core" players without sending contracts back, maybe they'd be available for futures, but seems unlikely.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:41 a.m.
Bjugstad
Schmaltz
Crouse
Keller
Roslovic
Vatrano
Comtois
Domi
Raddysh
Dvorak...

If Perron weren’t in the same race I’d say him. Playoff experience, scores goals, is mean like Tage Thompson.
McGruff and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:44 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
If Perron weren’t in the same race I’d say him. Playoff experience, scores goals, is mean like Tage Thompson.

Good call - list ^ ^ def. needs playoff experience/moxie
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:54 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
For BUFF? (edit - probably wasn't specific in the thread; being BUFF-related).

Maybe Garland, I'll grant you that...applaud

You will take Miller and you WILL like it
McGruff liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:02 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:28 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
You will take Miller and you WILL like it

Okey dokey...
Juiceman liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:20 a.m.
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
GMBA apparently denied a major sell off apart from the UFA crop (and Chychrun who wanted out). I think Schmaltz and his backloaded contract was definitely available, but he just left the game tonight with an "upper-body", and if they didn't want to bring money back for Chychrun, that means it was unlikely in a Schmaltz deal as well. Wouldn't expect too much back in that case, but also who can add that cap without more maneuvering? Crouse is publicly saying he wants to retire here, and he's a prototypical Armstrong player. Doubt he moves. Keller trade would be insane, even if they are rebuilding, and they will need to hit the floor somehow. Same contract/cap difficulties would exist as in a Schmaltz deal even if they did. I personally would trade Vegemite, but I think the club sees him as a feather in their proscouting-hat since rescuing him from the Czech Extraliga.

Gutierrez has already said the revenue from the Mullet is going to be low, and that they expected to run lean. Not sure I expected that meant they were going to under sell their best trade asset by avoiding taking salary back, so who knows how far they want to cut down to the bone. If someone can absorb one of the "core" players without sending contracts back, maybe they'd be available for futures, but seems unlikely.

I wonder if the league will help, or do something. Drop the coyotes cap floor requirement and give each team an extra million in cap to appease the nhlpa. Blame the arena situation.

It does look like the cap floor will be a challenge next season without any more trading. They lose Kanes 2.6. Ladds 5.5. I don’t see anybody due a significant raise. I take it back about trading term away probably.

The team has such a disproportionate huge chunk of the future talent in the league, and their trajectory is to have very high picks for all of their own selections.

I sympathize with the entire situation and there’s a real good chance the next great marketable talent for the NHL plays in a 5000 seat arena surrounded by a cap floor team who got there in the backs of IR contracts. That’s not good for the other 31 ownership groups, and Bettman represents them all.

Sorry, that Chychrun return pissed me off. I find it telling the typical talking heads aren’t questioning it after reporting for months the price was 2 firsts and a high quality prospect or more at times. Then Bill Armstrong today, “ To escape with no money taken back was huge for us.". I can’t even…What are you escaping from? Chychrun was a bargain for his performance. What’s Chychrun gonna do? Go play in Russia? He’s under contract. He had 0 leverage.

I am glad Ottawa landed him, especially considering they’re up for sale. I hope it works out well. That seems awfully coincidental to me.

I hope the coyotes work out well too.

A healthy league is good for all.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:54 a.m.

Then Bill Armstrong today, “ To escape with no money taken back was huge for us.". I can’t even…What are you escaping from? Chychrun was a bargain for his performance.

Definitely seems like a decision from the top down. Incredibly frustrating for a fan. Probably more so for the GM.

One angle for a silver lining is that, as you said, they still have to hit the floor somehow next year. By not taking back real money or a roster spot in this trade, they potentially have more flexibility to add bad contracts this summer for more draft capital as they did with Ghost from Philly. If you eat a contract bad or otherwise in the Chychrun deal, you may not have the cash or roster spot to hold someone over the fire in the off-season for their dump.

That and the fact that the Ottawa pick has a non-zero chance of being somewhere in the teens, that first is probably worth more in a deep draft than two picks in the late twenties from contending clubs. We'll see how the draft itself pans out.

Still incredibly frustrating after dragging it out, this is what they ended up taking as the best available deal.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 2:23 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
FqLRH-_XwAAJTWK?format=jpg&name=small

Hextall really looked at Granlund and Boeser and decided "Yep, I'm going with the even worse one"
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 2:35 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
Definitely seems like a decision from the top down. Incredibly frustrating for a fan. Probably more so for the GM.

One angle for a silver lining is that, as you said, they still have to hit the floor somehow next year. By not taking back real money or a roster spot in this trade, they potentially have more flexibility to add bad contracts this summer for more draft capital as they did with Ghost from Philly. If you eat a contract bad or otherwise in the Chychrun deal, you may not have the cash or roster spot to hold someone over the fire in the off-season for their dump.

That and the fact that the Ottawa pick has a non-zero chance of being somewhere in the teens, that first is probably worth more in a deep draft than two picks in the late twenties from contending clubs. We'll see how the draft itself pans out.

Still incredibly frustrating after dragging it out, this is what they ended up taking as the best available deal.

If only they could use their most important on-ice and secondary off-ice "hockey smarts" for GOOD instead of EVIL...
Per Wiki = Club Founded 1972 (WPG 1.0).

Face it: This is a club run by lawyers & accountants not GMs-Coaches-Xplayers & Hockey-minds...
such a shame, a shame, a dang shame...
Mar. 2, 2023 at 7:13 a.m.
Alex Bump Truther
Hronek = Ristolainen

They got literally like the same returns.

Risto
13th OVR
32-40th OVR

Hronek
Most likely around 13th OVR
32-40th OVR
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 7:27 a.m.
Yeah but the human-ref is deep in the corner where he's blocked by net-front bodies...
Happens.
In reality - should be a play where NHL video-review-centre can call into the rink and provide a thorough review.

What’s reviewable? The ref whistled, the play is dead, however unfortunate it might be, that’s pretty cut and dry
Mar. 2, 2023 at 7:29 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Wilson would be on pace for 52 points and 41 goals coming off an acl injury.

King of power forwards
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 8:08 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Bjugstad
Schmaltz
Crouse
Keller
Roslovic
Vatrano
Comtois
Domi
Raddysh
Dvorak...

Sheary possibly for Buffalo? Not sure if they liked his previous stint with them or not.
capsfan2121 and McGruff liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 8:46 a.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Sheary possibly for Buffalo? Not sure if they liked his previous stint with them or not.

Probably, don't like the fit though. We need size, like Comtois or Crouse.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 8:46 a.m.
I swear leafsnation could be the literal dictionary entry for "bipolar"

People acting like we gotta make even more changes after last night. I see a small move because we have 9 D but nothing insane. Like cmon, a third of your lineup just changed you're gonna need more tha one practice to find some chemistry.
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 8:52 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
I swear leafsnation could be the literal dictionary entry for "bipolar"

People acting like we gotta make even more changes after last night. I see a small move because we have 9 D but nothing insane. Like cmon, a third of your lineup just changed you're gonna need more tha one practice to find some chemistry.

You need to improve your bottom 6. If you want to stand a chance against Tampa. They already have you beat massively when it comes to gold tending.
BuFfaLOFaN, MitchMarner_16 and zk97 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Bertuzzi to Boston.
So Dubas is going to counter with 2 more moves lol.
NoVaSpartan and zk97 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 9:15 a.m.
Lou is going to trade Dobson for parayko

Mar. 2, 2023 at 9:15 a.m.
WentWughes

Boston acquiring Canadian players isn't possible that's not something they like to do.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 9:19 a.m.
WentWughes
I believe this trade shows us how bad the injury to foligno was. Literally a carbon copy version of him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll