Forums/NHL Trades

(EDM/CAR) - Puljujärvi for Puistola

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Brian2016
Considering many in the media thought he'd be on waivers when Yamamoto returned, I think this is a pretty good return.

exactly, JP always looked lost out their but apparently made good defensive plays and couldn't finish a pass from McDavid for his life
Brian2016 and Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
I think this exact player type is the one that sees the greatest difference between European vs NA rink size. The playstyle is so vastly different, a player who has basically nothing but raw skill can thrive in EU. Much harder, if not impossible in NA.

Kaapo Kakko
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
feelsbadman
i don't blame EDM players for being bad , they get no TOI with mcjesus and dry getting 50 mins a night XD
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Kaapo Kakko

Possibly, but I'd wait. 22 is still not too old to bloom and at least production-wise, he's finally starting to trend up.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
Possibly, but I'd wait. 22 is still not too old to bloom and at least production-wise, he's finally starting to trend up.

I'm not ready to write him off completely, but he was an elite goal scorer on the big ice. I've watched the Rangers a lot and I don't see any signs of him becoming a 40G scorer, like he was projected to be. Maybe 25 eventually.
kaljakori liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: CMac66
Yes yes, then we will get all the underwhelming Fins as the last part of our mildly evil plan!

Hurricanes twitter controls the front office.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Win-win deal.

Edmonton gets a tangible asset, cap space. They can parlay that into a rental.

Carolina has the opportunity cost of the cap space they gave up, but they were unlikely to use it all anyways. Puljujarvi might be a fit in their room due to the strong Finnish presence that they already have. He's unlikely to ever put it together and become a big star, but he's an NHL player and might re-sign there at market value. He has a lot to prove, and we have seen other struggling players do well after a change of scenery.

I highly doubt there was a market for Puljujarvi at this point. If you want to criticize Edmonton, criticize them for not trading Puljujarvi years ago when he still had value.

I don't know anything about the player coming back to Edmonton, but I would suspect that a 3rd round pick from 4 years ago who has never come over to North American isn't of much value.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:45 p.m.
Pete
Aho, Teravainen, Kotkaniemi, Raanta ... Puljujarvi - Jippii, Hurraa!
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Are the Canes done?
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:47 p.m.
Kansler
I can actually see Carolina signing Pulju for 2years/1,2M AAV in the offseason no matter how this season ends. (And yes I think he is bound a paycut but its unlike that will stand in the way if he likes it in Carolina)
Feb. 28, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.
lager
Quoting: capsfan2121
Good move for EDM. Get 3 mil off the books

They cleared cap to get MTL D Edmundson I think.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Just glanced at Pulujarvi's shot stats and I have a question. As he is in the West and I'm in EST I don't watch him all that much. Does he have a terrible shot? I can't recall the last time I saw a forward with such ****ty shooting % (its really terrible when you exclude the one year I think he was playing with McDavid). But also his on ice shooting percentage is fairly poor. But the trend is too long to really want to write off to bad luck.

How does he look by the eye test?
Feb. 28, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Now only 2 of the top 11 picks of 2016 are still on those teams
Feb. 28, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Kaapo Kakko

Interestingly enough he has reinvented himself already in his short NHL career. He's playing good two way hockey and he was terrible two way his rookie year.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Go leafs go
It makes sense for both teams, but this is funny

Toronto: ORielly, Accari, McCabe, Lafferty
Tampa: Jeannot
Boston: Orlov, Hathaway
New York Rangers: Tarasenko, Motte
New York Islanders: Horvat
New Jersey: Meier

Carolina: Puljujarvi

It would be pretty funny to see Carolina come out of the East after only doing this though lol
Feb. 28, 2023 at 2:33 p.m.
I tend to think this is a slight win for Edmonton because they got something for a player who has unfortunately become a cap dump. The fact that Puistola is already 22 and Carolina never bothered to sign him makes me think he’s not much of a prospect, but getting somebody to take a $3M cap hit off your hands without having to throw in a sweetener is a win.

When I saw Puljujarvi’s struggles in Edmonton over the years, I was hoping Carolina might take a chance on him if they could get him cheap, to see if he could click with Aho again, but now I feel like it’s too late. This seems like a waste of cap space for them, but having missed out on the big fish, I guess they’re getting close to a “use it or lose it” situation, so no harm done since they can let Jesse go at the end of the season.

I was hoping they’d use their cap space to get Domi and Kane in a package deal from Chicago, but it sounds like Kane only wants to go to New York, and I can’t see Carolina wanting to help the division rival who eliminated them last year by being the middleman in that deal (unless they could get Domi as their price for retaining 25% on Kane, but I’m sure they could find another team willing to do it for less). I guess they still have enough cap space to bring Domi back, so hopefully they can work something out there. They won’t need to bring in a third team this time; in fact, they won’t even need Chicago to retain on him, which might be a plus since they have already used one of their three retention slots on McCabe and presumably another will go to Kane.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Not sure what Carolinas thoughts are here, Puljujaevi doesn't have any chance at reclaiming his potential languishing in a bottom 6 role and unless he comes out in a big way for Carolina, he's going to have a hard time moving past 3RW unless I'm reading the roster wrong.

There’s the Aho factor.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Nah.
Place bets on this turning into KK pt.2?
Feb. 28, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: patti200219
How Ken Holland still has a job baffles me to this day. What a **** trade. Prob the most **** trade we have seen in a while.

Holland didn't draft the kid, so he doesn't care Jessse was a 4th OA pick.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin
I call this a fair deal or even an Edmonton win.
Carolina hasn't been able get in on the true top 6 forwards they need (maybe there is a 2C they can get) so they have cap sapce for JP.
Edmonton more importantly gets cap space and room to add where needed (or even just have a 23 man roster lol)
Feb. 28, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin
Quoting: Saskleaf
It makes sense for both teams, but this is funny

Toronto: ORielly, Accari, McCabe, Lafferty
Tampa: Jeannot
Boston: Orlov, Hathaway
New York Rangers: Tarasenko, Motte
New York Islanders: Horvat
New Jersey: Meier

Carolina: Puljujarvi

It would be pretty funny to see Carolina come out of the East after only doing this though lol

I thought with the trade, what if Oilers and Canes meet in the SCF again lol. JP scores the SC winning goal for the Canes (Oilers fans nightmare) scream
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I'd say Carolina wins this, I think Poolparty could be better with a change of scenery, thats often what helps players breakout a little more.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Good move for EDM. Get 3 mil off the books

Not a good move. Jesse Puljujärvi is worth more than $3 million on any team that actually uses him. Puljujärvi outplayed a number of players on the Oilers who got more icetime than he did.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
hes dynamite
JP feels like a wasted pickup... but carolina seems to have a thing going with fins... so who knows what they make of him
Mar. 1, 2023 at 9:18 a.m.
JP is probably the most Carolina-y pick up out there. Good defensive and shot metrics, can't finish to save his life. I think he has more to give than he did in Edmonton, and I think he will fit in pretty nicely in Carolina. The Canes are the master of getting a little something for nothing. I know it won't matter this year, but they essentially added Pacioretty and JP in the last 8 months for absolutely nothing of consequence. That's kind of their MO, so what's not to like.

Edmonton could actually have used more defensively capable forwards, but the reality is the cap space became more valuable than the player.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit