SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/WSH) - Sandin for Gustafsson, 1st (BOS)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 28, 2023 at 8:19 p.m.
Thegreatdebater
Quoting: BCAPP
This is a terrible trade by the Leafs. Sandin has so much upside. I cannot understand why Keefe seemed to so strongly dislike him.

And for those curious:
McCabe this year 122 hits
Sandin 113 hits

He obviously isn't McCabe's physicality (or close), but he isn't a soft player. He is a smooth skating defenseman who dominated third pairing minutes, with good offensive upside. Its not even Washington's first, its Boston's first, which is going to be at best like 28th or something.

McCabe's hits forces guys off the pucks, Sandins hits just obstruct peoples path he hardly ever knocks a guy off the puck compared to McCabe. Sandin also cant clear the front of the net to save his life and is slow. He hasn't improved in 3 years.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
Thegreatdebater
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Toronto - Gets a PP merchant but a terrible 5 on 5 defender if he's CHI/WSH quality Gus. Depth D if he's not. Either way, he's a downgrade on Sandin. 1st round pick is nice, but likely to be at the end of the draft.

Washington- Gets a very good top 4 defender that's only 22 and poised to become a top pairing defender. Has control and they're selling very high on Gus. 1st round pick is quality, but not when you're getting someone like Sandin.

Think this is an easy win for Washington

Sandin isnt a top 4 d lol.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.
Thegreatdebater
Quoting: Ritzy
Same joke on two different threads, you're just fishing for people to hit that like button aren't you.

Look at his profile pick man? Hes just looking for attention.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 9:18 p.m.
Quoting: howmuchcurrycanyoueat
McCabe's hits forces guys off the pucks, Sandins hits just obstruct peoples path he hardly ever knocks a guy off the puck compared to McCabe. Sandin also cant clear the front of the net to save his life and is slow. He hasn't improved in 3 years.

I specifically said he isn't as physical but you're also exaggerating the difference. The NHL would not track those as hits.

The thing is Sandin dominates the minutes he plays. Keefe hasn't given him harder minutes, but he's done well with what hes been given. And while hes not the best crease clearer (he's not) he's excellent at getting the puck out of the defensive zone with his team's possession either on his own stick or with a smart crisp pass. Sigh...
Feb. 28, 2023 at 9:47 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Chychrun incoming???
Feb. 28, 2023 at 11:32 p.m.
No regretzkys
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Toronto - Gets a PP merchant but a terrible 5 on 5 defender if he's CHI/WSH quality Gus. Depth D if he's not. Either way, he's a downgrade on Sandin. 1st round pick is nice, but likely to be at the end of the draft.

Washington- Gets a very good top 4 defender that's only 22 and poised to become a top pairing defender. Has control and they're selling very high on Gus. 1st round pick is quality, but not when you're getting someone like Sandin.

Think this is an easy win for Washington

I agree with everything you just said, and I'm not saying you said this, but its funny how for SO long everybody called Sandin a 3rd pair D, when he is very obviously a capable top 4 guy.
As soon as he gets traded from the Leafs, I instantly see someone (you) say he is a legit top 4 guy.
haha funny how that works
Feb. 28, 2023 at 11:32 p.m.
No regretzkys
Quoting: howmuchcurrycanyoueat
Sandin isnt a top 4 d lol.

He very much is.
Saskleaf and MontysPython liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 9:29 a.m.
I like this deal for Washington. Essentially moving out Orlov for a younger cheaper player with upside. That's a rebuild on the fly. I like Orlov, maybe Sandin never quite gets to that level, but he has the potential to.

The Leafs side of this deal is harder to evaluate. I think they got about as good value for Sandin as they could have, I think a 1st and currently servicable depth defensemen is a good return given what we heard was available in the summer, but I just don't get why he was moved at all. I feel like it must be because they now see him as a semi-regular healthy scratch meaning he wasn't going to be an impact on this current roster, and they were worried he would request a trade again if that happened, and wanted to get something for him before the healthy scratches and trade request torpedoed his value. In that context, this is a very smart move, but the flaw is I have no idea why he would be in danger of being a healthy scratch? Are you really playing Holl over Sandin just because of handedness? Are Timmins or Schenn really bumping him out of the starting 6?

I think the Leafs got very good value on Sandin, and I think they made the right choice if you are only keeping one of Sandin or Liljegren, I just don't know why he seemed like the odd man out in the first place. Maybe there is another move to come, but right now I would say Washinngton wins the deal, and Toronto did well as long as you buy the assumption Sandin was somehow not a lock for their top 6. I get the logic if you assume that, I just don't really understand how he's not firmly in your top 6 given the players they have.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
sensonfire
Edited Mar. 4, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.
What do Rasmus Sandin and Brandon Hagel both have in common?

1. They both had untapped potential when they were traded.

2. They both have a cap hit at around a million and a half.

3. They both have term.

4. They both will be RFAs and under team control at the end of their contracts.

Hagel was traded for at least two late 1st round picks.

Sandin was traded for one late 1st round pick + a defenceman that gets all of his points on the powerplay and is nothing more than a rental for the Leafs.

This is not a fair deal for the Leafs.

Washington wins the trade.
Jul. 14, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I'm going to miss Sandin but, I'm pretty excited for Cowan and see what he can do
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit