The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 28, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
Go leafs go
What the heck is going on?!?! I love it
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 5:10 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
i wouldn't say they have "no chance" at the playoffs, considering the fact that every team that has games in hand on them keeps, y'know, losing those games.

And Engvall is an upgrade over Josh Bailey, although with his effort level this year I think you or I would also be an upgrade over Josh Bailey, and I can't skate to save my life

The person stating NYI has no chance at playoffs is just silly. They're in by points (which is a silly measurement) and just out by pts %. They're tight in the race.

Still Engvall seems an odd pick up for them.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Saskleaf
What the heck is going on?!?! I love it

GMs got tired of the deadline criticism compared to NBA and other leagues and decided to go bonkers.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bettman and co. adviced them to get more active, as it could generate more interest, and therefore revenue, amongst the teams.
Saskleaf and palhal liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 5:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb. 28, 2023 at 5:39 p.m.
torontos finest
this is the move to get the cap where it needs to be to activate murray.

kerfoot might be a running joke but he's useful in the bottom six and on the penalty kill. engvall was expendable.
Saskleaf and dannibalcorpse liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 6:42 p.m.
Inferno
Great move to free up cap space for Schenn. Engvall is NOT living up to the 2.2M AAV
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
It's gonna cost a 1st dump Engvall !!!!

Now take this BS fake trade down.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 7:35 p.m.
Orr28
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Engvall is a great 4th liner. Think this is a good trade for both teams. Islanders get a good 4th liner 5 on 5 and can kill penalties. Leafs get a decent draft pick.

What they did with that pick though is another story...

Ross Johnston is a better 4th liner than this pylon.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: BCAPP
The person stating NYI has no chance at playoffs is just silly. They're in by points (which is a silly measurement) and just out by pts %. They're tight in the race.

Still Engvall seems an odd pick up for them.

lemme read you off the bottom-6 wingers they're going with tonight:

3rd line: Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Hudson Fasching
4th line: Ross Johnston - Otto Koivula - Josh Bailey

Engvall's not a needle mover, but he's a competent NHL player at least, which is a need the team currently has with their injury situation. I'd honestly call this a fair deal - Toronto gets a mid-tier asset for a mid-tier player, and the Isles add some depth that they've clearly been lacking.
BCAPP and palhal liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
sen krak fan
Really good trade for the Leafs. Suprised they got this much for him. I was expecting more like a 4th.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Orr28

You're very funny
Orr28 liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 8:28 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Ritzy
Sarcasm on my part, edited my post.

I don't think he was a cap dump, but every other fan base did. Which makes this hilarious.

I knew what you meant. smile
Ritzy liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 9:27 p.m.
lemme read you off the bottom-6 wingers they're going with tonight:

3rd line: Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Hudson Fasching
4th line: Ross Johnston - Otto Koivula - Josh Bailey

Engvall's not a needle mover, but he's a competent NHL player at least, which is a need the team currently has with their injury situation. I'd honestly call this a fair deal - Toronto gets a mid-tier asset for a mid-tier player, and the Isles add some depth that they've clearly been lacking.

I clearly haven't been paying enough attention to nyi. I guess beauvillier is gone. Lee and Wahlstrom and Barzal are in the top 6 on the wings presumably. But what about Palmieri and Parise and pageau? Is one on the wing in the top 6 and other two injured?
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Dubas essentially got Schenn for Engvall. IDC about the Isles side of things... Leafs win this trade
Feb. 28, 2023 at 9:46 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: BCAPP
I clearly haven't been paying enough attention to nyi. I guess beauvillier is gone. Lee and Wahlstrom and Barzal are in the top 6 on the wings presumably. But what about Palmieri and Parise and pageau? Is one on the wing in the top 6 and other two injured?

Beau is in Vancouver, Wahlstrom is done for the season, and Barzal is out for at least 4-6 weeks right now. Pageau is not on the road trip but hopefully back shortly after the deadline?

To give you the full picture, top 6 tonight is Anders Lee - Bo Horvat - Simon Holstrom, and Zach Parise - Brock Nelson - Kyle Palmieri. Engvall at least lets them go back to ignoring Ross Johnston and potentially leaving Otto Koivula in the AHL while everyone gets their health back.
BCAPP liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
we miss leo k

lol the last 3 full games Johnston has played he's had 4:34, 5:29, and 7:23 TOI and he's somehow on pace for less tonight (1:37 through 2 periods) - and as I said upthread, this is a team rolling out a bottom 6 with Otto Koivula and Hudson Fasching getting serious minutes. If there's any time he could be getting an expanded role, it would be now - yet somehow he's still buried. Engvall is miles more valuable to the team than Johnston is at this point.
BCAPP liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
Beau is in Vancouver, Wahlstrom is done for the season, and Barzal is out for at least 4-6 weeks right now. Pageau is not on the road trip but hopefully back shortly after the deadline?

To give you the full picture, top 6 tonight is Anders Lee - Bo Horvat - Simon Holstrom, and Zach Parise - Brock Nelson - Kyle Palmieri. Engvall at least lets them go back to ignoring Ross Johnston and potentially leaving Otto Koivula in the AHL while everyone gets their health back.

Yeah I realize beau was gone (hence I said it).

And I see the answer to why those are your wingers is injury. Wahlstrom for the season, Barzal for weeks and pageau out, will stretch a team. But wow. It always seemed you had too many middle six wingers. Times change I suppose.

Enjoy engvall he's a solid, but very unspectacular player. If you see the behemoth that he is an expect a tough guy you'll hate him. But if you recognize that he's a positionally/stick work good defensive forward with just enough offense to not frustrate you that he wastes his opportunities he's a useful player.

He also has a hilarious looking skating stride, as tall lanky players sometimes do, but it seems effective.
dannibalcorpse and palhal liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.
I voted Toronto, but not because they fleeced the islanders, I think this is fair value, but the islanders spending more assets on a rental is just a weak move, and I think anytime the Leafs get fair value on a whipping boy it means they did reasonably well. Basically, the deal makes more sense for Toronto than it does for the Islanders, so I give the edge to Toronto.

I don't get what the Islanders are doing to be honest. Even if you are super bullish on them, it's hard to see them being better than even a 50% chance of making the playoffs, and making it likely means a date with Boston in round 1. The 2023 draft isn't a draft you want to throw picks away in, for a less than 50% chance of getting into the playoffs.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 10:21 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
For his pay.....about 80th in LWers, and also in points about 80th.....Engvall fits in right where he is.
But so many Leaf fans hate their own. Unless a forward comes in to Matthews or Marner standards, they think any other Leaf isn't worthy.
For years on this site, Leafs fans hated Hyman because he they thought he wasn't contributing enough points on the first or second line, failing to realize what contribution he provided.
This year, I've seen many Byustad of Arizona as wanted needed for the Leafs. Yep he one more goal and on more assist than Engvall. Why is Byustad so loved and Engvall so despised?
Mar. 1, 2023 at 10:24 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Calling Engvall a pylon? That's totally inaccurate. He's one of few third/fourth line wingers that can actually stickhandle in all three zones.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 5:45 p.m.
Orr28
Quoting: palhal
Calling Engvall a pylon? That's totally inaccurate. He's one of few third/fourth line wingers that can actually stickhandle in all three zones.

Nice sarcasm.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 7:06 p.m.
sensonfire
That's about what Engvall is worth.

Fair deal.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
I don’t like this trade for Toronto now that I know they didn’t make another move after Tuesday. They now have 9 healthy NHL defensemen and only 12 forwards (not counting Robertson – I don’t know what the chances are of him coming back and being able to help). It’s great that they got back a draft pick after all the picks they’re traded away, but Engvall slotted in on the depth chart ahead of at least one of the 12 forwards they’re left with, so trading him makes them a little bit weaker now, and more vulnerable if a forward gets hurt.

It would have made a lot more sense for them to trade Holl instead. Both he and Engvall are pending unrestricted free agents, but they have a lot more depth now on defence. I suspect they traded Engvall because the offers for Holl weren’t as good, but I think spreading out the depth more evenly between forward and defence would have been better, even if it meant trading Holl for a lower pick than the 3rd they got for Engvall.

The trade makes sense for the Islanders. They’re in the fight for a playoff spot, and after trading for Horvat it’s clear that they want to get in, so Engvall will help them at least until their injured forwards come back. What he does between now and then will determine whether he stays in the lineup after that or becomes a depth piece.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit