Forums/NHL Trades

(CHI/ARI/NYR) - Kane, Zech for 5th for Welinski, 2nd, 4th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 1, 2023 at 2:22 a.m.
GM67
Quoting: Devil

I cannot stop laughing even though I Coached Patrick when he was a little kid. This MEME is outright hilarious!!!! Kuddos to the author!!!
worldwidesensei liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 7:58 a.m.
Quoting: jasondomitrovic
I cannot stop laughing even though I Coached Patrick when he was a little kid.

So this is all your fault! If you hadn't done such a good job with him, none of this would have happened!
Mar. 1, 2023 at 8:59 a.m.
Pens Fan
Quoting: Jco5ta5
This is a PSA that Sam Lafferty got a 2nd round pick. And so did Patrick Kane.

I’m losing faith in Davidson.

What could he do
Mar. 1, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
He's referring to the Muskoka 5. The Leafs had given NTC's to sundin, McCabe, kaberle, Kubina and I actually don't remember who the fifth was. Maybe Tucker?

Then the Leafs stank and they had trouble trading them. In the end sundin refused to waive on his last year when the Leafs sucked. This must have been about 08 give or take.

He then hemmed and hawed on if he was retiring the next year and eventually signed with the nucks in about Jan or Feb as a Ufa. A lot of Toronto fans felt betrayed that he wouldn't waive so we could get a good return for him. Those fans suck. He negotiated a fair deal including a ntc and he decided to use it to stay where he was happy. He's a Leafs legend and we shouldn't begrudge him that he wanted to stay...

I remember that. Sundin said he didn’t want to be a rental. These are my words not his, but he felt like he would be crashing somebody else’s party, coming in at the end of a long process and grabbing all the glory without contributing to all the hard work it took to get the team to that point. I respected him for that. Asking to be traded to a contender always seemed a bit selfish to me.

There was a time when a player would ask for a no-trade clause because he really didn’t want to be traded. Now it seems that players are expected to waive them. I would never fault a player for not waiving it. If the team wanted to be able to trade him, they shouldn’t have agreed to the no-trade clause. I’ve seen some contracts that have full no-move clauses except for the last year when it becomes a limited number of teams. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Agreeing to waive a no-move clause only for one destination doesn’t sit well with me. Either you’re ok with being traded or you’re not. If it’s a deadline trade you’re only going to be there for a few months anyway, then you can decide where you want to go when your contract runs out. But if the team he’s on doesn’t like it, they can still keep him until the end of the season, which is exactly what they should have assumed would happen when they gave him the full no-move clause.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 9:57 a.m.
This trade would even been more fun if rather than dumping the salary onto the Coyotes, this trade could have been combined with the Islanders/Leafs trade. Rather than giving up their own 3rd round pick, the Isles could have taken part of Kane's cap hit and then passed the Ranger's 3rd round pick to the Leafs in exchange for Engval.

Otherwise calling the "winner" of this trade the Coyotes, they literally bought a 3rd round pick in exchange for paying Kane 25% of his salary for a couple of months, turning what would have been cap space that expired into nothing into something. Can't do better than turning nothing into something.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 10:13 a.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
I think Davidson did a terrible job here and I'll tell you why: the Giroux trade. Yes Chicago's hands were tied where he was going. But look at what Philly got for Giroux who also was well off his prime compared to this return. Davidson sucks at his job

I've been on the fence about the Giroux trade from the start. And now I can comfortably say CF actually did a pretty good job when you consider everything. Thanks KD, although I do think he was put in a pretty tough spot..
BCAPP liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 10:14 a.m.
New York does well simply by being the only option, but with all of the context, I actually think the Blackhawks did as well as you could hope here. If the Rangers end up making that a 1st, that will be a nice return for a player that is just flat out nowhere near as good as his perceived value at this point, and one that basically gave his GM one team to deal with.

Davidson manages to do right by his franchise icon, get value for a player that no longer had value to their team, and could end up getting a 1st in a deal where he had no leverage, and an asset whose value is almost entirely based on prior accomplishments. Kane won't have to be "the guy" offensively in New York, so maybe he has much more to offer than he looked so far this year, but honestly, I think the Blackhawks did well here when considering it in full context.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: jr400
I remember that. Sundin said he didn’t want to be a rental. These are my words not his, but he felt like he would be crashing somebody else’s party, coming in at the end of a long process and grabbing all the glory without contributing to all the hard work it took to get the team to that point. I respected him for that. Asking to be traded to a contender always seemed a bit selfish to me.

There was a time when a player would ask for a no-trade clause because he really didn’t want to be traded. Now it seems that players are expected to waive them. I would never fault a player for not waiving it. If the team wanted to be able to trade him, they shouldn’t have agreed to the no-trade clause. I’ve seen some contracts that have full no-move clauses except for the last year when it becomes a limited number of teams. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Agreeing to waive a no-move clause only for one destination doesn’t sit well with me. Either you’re ok with being traded or you’re not. If it’s a deadline trade you’re only going to be there for a few months anyway, then you can decide where you want to go when your contract runs out. But if the team he’s on doesn’t like it, they can still keep him until the end of the season, which is exactly what they should have assumed would happen when they gave him the full no-move clause.

Why, the whole point of a NMC/NTC is that the player takes partial control of their destiny rather than giving the team full control (just ask Jonathan Quick how that can turn out). If you are happy with your situation, you can stay, but if you aren't you and the team wants to move you, you get a say in where you go, and you are safe from being unceremoniously kicked to the curb like a certain other franchise icon just was. In Kane's case, he clearly wanted out of Chicago and wanted to go to a contender, and decided that the Rangers was the best situation for him to go to. Taking a NMC/NTC doesn't mean that you are fundamentally/philosophically opposed to being traded. Kane wanted to go to a contender and used his NTC to pick where he went.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.
Davidson should have just kept him to prove a point.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 9:11 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
I might be in the minority here, but I'd be upset about this if I were CHI fans.

Kane handcuffed them, they got less of a return that some other less valuable players that got moved.

I don't know, I could be way off, but I'd be pissed if I were CHI.

CHI gave him the contract.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:48 p.m.
Quoting: Stark
Why, the whole point of a NMC/NTC is that the player takes partial control of their destiny rather than giving the team full control (just ask Jonathan Quick how that can turn out). If you are happy with your situation, you can stay, but if you aren't you and the team wants to move you, you get a say in where you go, and you are safe from being unceremoniously kicked to the curb like a certain other franchise icon just was. In Kane's case, he clearly wanted out of Chicago and wanted to go to a contender, and decided that the Rangers was the best situation for him to go to. Taking a NMC/NTC doesn't mean that you are fundamentally/philosophically opposed to being traded. Kane wanted to go to a contender and used his NTC to pick where he went.

Yes. Chicago gave him the no-move clause so they can't fault him for using it as he saw fit. They were lucky he gave them a chance to get something for him, even though it was much less than it would have been if he had given them more options. If they didn't think New York's offer was enough, they could have kept him and treated their fans to two more months of him.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 8:02 p.m.
sensonfire
Saarijarvi, Welinski and Zech all have negligible trade value.

Arizona gets a 3rd round pick for retaining less than 3 million on Patrick Kane.

That pick should have gone to Chicago instead.

So, that's great for Arizona.

The Rangers acquired Tarasenko for ...

a guaranteed 1st
a 4th that turns into a 3rd if the Rangers make the playoffs.

The Rangers acquired Kane for ...

a 2nd that turns into 1st only if the Rangers make the playoffs AND win 2 playoff rounds
a 4th

Kane >>>>> Tarasenko

This is not a fair deal for Chicago.

The Rangers and Coyotes win the trade.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit