SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(LAK/CBJ) - 1st, Quick for Gavrikov, Korpisalo

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
cautious optimism
I hate this deal, and i will continue to hate this deal until the end of time. With the amount of money we have next year, there was no excuse to not re-sign Gavi.

Even if Jonathan Quick ends up being okay, and that first round pick ends up being okay, Gavi was too big to this core to give up.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
One day you are a beloved franchise icon, the next you on the curb next to the recycling. Its a cold business. LA did what they had to do, risky to give up your first round pick, but filled two big needs. Not likely to go far in the playoff with either a career AHL'er or a shadow of a great goalie.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:56 a.m.
It's a fair deal to everyone except Quick, who deserves to ride out in the sunset with the team he helped make a dynasty.
OldNYIfan and Rolfadinho liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
torontos finest
this is why players want ntcs and nmcs, by the way. so they don't get yeeted like this
OldNYIfan, Otto_Kirov and dopplsan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Very interesting kind of a reverse conditions on the trade.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:59 a.m.
You know nothing JS
People love drama so much.

Quick was given a $58M contract. He's now at the end of it, 37 y.o. and can't contribute anymore. I have zero pitty for him.

He can retire right now and leave around 500k on the table if he's so pissed.

LA did what they had to do to have sucess.
weirfanno1, dopplsan, Andy_Dick and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:02 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: pinslack
Fp_TL7YWYAEGV5M?format=png&name=900x900

Yes it's cruel to dump Quick at this stage of his career, but he has been brutal this year. He's a AHL goalie and you dont want that in your roster in playoffs

That's an interesting "Goalie Stress" meter along the X axis.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: Newgod77
Columbus held up the Boston trade because they didn’t want to take money back only to end up with a lesser offer and still take back money.

Yes…..yet they still took money back. And retained money on Nyquist. Almost makes one think the hold up wasn’t Columbus refusing to take money back. Perhaps that was just disinformation out of Boston like every other related story…..?
dopplsan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
We are all equal
Fair deal for both sides here. Quick is a shell of his former self. Could be his farewell tour in Columbus if they can't flip him before the deadline. Going to be hard to see him get another contract this summer tbh. Would be a back up anywhere he signs for cheeeeaaaappppp on a 1 year kind of deal.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: Devil
The disrespect of the Kings trading Quick is unreal

The worst part is that he has to go to Ohio

Says the fan of New York’s colon.
dopplsan and dk325 liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: Newgod77
Columbus held up the Boston trade because they didn’t want to take money back only to end up with a lesser offer and still take back money.

Quoting: darthsummer
Yes…..yet they still took money back. And retained money on Nyquist. Almost makes one think the hold up wasn’t Columbus refusing to take money back. Perhaps that was just disinformation out of Boston like every other related story…..?

I was about to say...I have not heard anything about CBJ not wanting money to come back? I could understand them preferring not to move Olivier (who has actually been a solid 4th-liner and has team control after this season), but I figured it just boiled down to an opportunity coming along to get a better player for basically the same price.

Quoting: Bobcat205
Even if Jonathan Quick ends up being okay, and that first round pick ends up being okay, Gavi was too big to this core to give up.

NGL, I'd prefer Quick come in and stink things up. Korpi had been playing too well, and another pointless late-season "We're Building Momentum for Next Year" winning streak in a strong draft-year is not what this team needs.

(Only half-joking)
darthsummer and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
Rob Blake ice cold, but honestly props for getting out from under Quick's albatross contract.

Banishing him to the Ohio gulag is a tad harsh though
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: Bobcat205
I hate this deal, and i will continue to hate this deal until the end of time. With the amount of money we have next year, there was no excuse to not re-sign Gavi.

I get it, I’m with you, I really do. It all stems from CBJ buying into the national perception and believing they are or were lesser than and unworthy of marquee free agents. All it would have taken was a quick, token call to Gaudreau’s agent to see if Columbus had a 0.1% shot at signing him. If they’d known, they would have never signed Gudbranson (who has been a nice surprise) to a contract at twice his market value and term, just to say they did something in free agency. That domino squeezed Bjorkstrand out of town for meager compensation to become cap compliant once JHockey signed, and now clogs roster/cash/term space on D that could have gone to Gavi. Lack of self-belief and buying into the anti-hype. Makes it difficult to campaign for others to take CBJ seriously when they’re not certain that they do themselves. Somewhere deep in the corporate offices is a bronze plaque emblazoned with ownership’s motto: “Lose competitively.”
dopplsan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: dk325
Pick quality has to be considered between the Boston and LA deal. Boston's pick was locked into the worst possible slot for whichever round they finish in and is guaranteed to be at best 24th OA but much more likely 28th or worse. Kings are more of a toss up for the first round so the Jackets could end up with a pick in the 19-22 range instead. If the top asset makes the best deal then I'm taking this deal over the Boston deal 100%.

Totally agree on the poor value pegged to Boston’s picks. I offset that a bit because of the unlikely conditional nature of the pick. Unlikely, but only nine points clear of Calgary and twelve of a Nashville squad with four games in hand. (Yes, Nashville turned over their entire roster. But they’re not entirely gutted, and strange things have happened.) Anyway, point is, it was enough of a concern that LAK attached the condition to the pick.

And despite it being the top asset, IF the top pick ends up only varying by a few slots (West is much more open than the East for a run; even winning the Pacific would severely hamstring the pick) then the remaining missing value is significant.

Definitely get your points though. My conversations with BOS would never have centered around ‘23 picks. I would have been eyeing 2025 or beyond, when Bergeron and Krejci are long gone and Marchand is finally incarcerated.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:53 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Says the fan of New York’s colon.

Says the fan of the worst franchise in the NHL
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Nah.

Counter: Arizona exists to not just embarrass themselves, but literally drag the rest of the league down with them.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
Poor Quick. Two Cups and tens of millions of dollars. He could have signed a shorter contract but was happy to collect the fat paycheck well past his prime. Would never have been traded if he had been playing to the value of his contract.

CBK easily lose courtesy of the Bruins. They get less back than they were slated to for Gavi and Olivier. Even discounting Olivier and the 2nd round pick BOS paid for a 4th liner, CBJ take back a pouting cap dump and include the top rental G w/o any added return.

Jarmo didnt want Craig Smith is the rumour and Boston had the make the cap work then the Caps came calling.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Today is a sad to everyone who thought Edmunson would return a 1st

What?
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
What?

Gavrikov and Korpisalo returned Quick (not high value/cap dump if you want to make that argument), a 1st and a 3rd. Both Gavrikov and Korpi have more value than Edmunson, meaning Edmunson won't return a 1st like Habs fans have tried to ingrain into my head over the past half a season
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
I make typos

in Bedard's draft year being the last team in the league is a very good thing
dopplsan liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
feelsbadman
The disrespect of the Kings trading Quick is unreal

The worst part is that he has to go to Ohio

XD
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: mondo
this is why players want ntcs and nmcs, by the way. so they don't get yeeted like this

This is a business, this is just a game, all those tired clichés are just…..tired. Grown men are playing a game in exchange for fame and money. Pretty good deal. They risk injury and plenty others make money or earn gainful employment in the process, so fair payment is duly justified.

The “business” excuse, though, is an undeveloped, non-considered platitude cop-out. On the players’ side, that is never uttered by the few to which it would apply: the fringe NHL/AHL players, making their prorated portion of the minimum each day they’re on the roster. They’re the ones worried about the business aspect, worried about what other job they’re going to get to support their family after their playing career.

(Some will get a lucky break and land an analyst job to stay in the game and feed their families. So glad Gretzky and Messier landed on their feet.)

The rest of the players are fine and will be fine. It’s more an “I’m better than him so I should be paid more” tug-of-war. Totally get wanting to be paid on a meritocracy, but it gets down to splitting hairs, comparing apples to oranges.

Owners, meanwhile, almost always make money. COVID and its (unnecessarily) excessive restrictions served as an anomalous blip, but even severely mismanaged, oft-losing teams can turn a profit {looking toward desert 🌵}
The major business restriction is artificial, that hard cap put in place to allow some level of parity. Otherwise, the Torontos, Bostons, and New Yorks would just outspend others by a mile and still make a profit. But without the parity, the league would suffer. I mean, I’m sure you could just have those three teams play each other 100 times a season and fill Foxboro for a daily viewing party, but the general public wants a little more drama. Hence different markets. Hence the cap. And hence “business” restrictions that would otherwise not limit the major market teams.

Yeah, I know, that all seems peripheral to the quote I included, but its really an inconsequential point in the grander scheme. The NHL by far has the best salary/cap system of any North American league. Massive deferred dead cap hits in the NFL subvert the system, and non-guaranteed contracts aren’t really contracts at all. All but four (five or take) NBA teams are over the cap; that doesn’t seem right. Players making $40M+/year sit and collect checks, showing up only to be traded in cap-matching moves. MLB’s non-cap—a luxury tax—mirrors the rift between the minimum salaried players and the top paid players. They could learn something from Ben & Jerry’s corporate salary structure. (I’m a full-blooded capitalist. The gap in MLB, though, isn’t proportional to the talent gap.)

So, without going over it in detail, the NHL has the best system in place. A few years on virtually identical ELCs for all players, with a path for the elite to earn more sooner. McDavid is making just shy of 17x as much as a player on the NHL minimum for a full season. Contracts are guaranteed. NMCs and NTCs are just excessive. Quick was free to sign a six or eight year deal and avoid this. As I said elsewhere, this would never happen if he was playing up to the value of his contract. NTCs should be reserved for special situations, like on year-to-year deals like Bergeron. The Kings promised Quick would get a paycheck for ten years. No statistical strings, milestones, or tripwires were attached. If you want commitment of X dollars for Y years, accept that you’re turning over a level of control to the team in return. They’ve purchased that right.

Shame that the least relevant player in this trade, as of 2023, has made this trade entirely about him. It’s not Blake that I’ve lost respect for…
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
The Usual Suspects

Someone is still sore. Gaudreau had never been to Ohio beyond shuttling to and from the airport and arena. But being born in New Jersey, he sure as heck knew where he did NOT want to raise his family.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
I see Rob Blake is cosplaying as a Golden Knight with this backstab. LA does get the better assets, but was it worth burning a bridge with the fans and poisoning the locker room? I think not as a neutral.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
I love this for both teams. I especially love how ruthless Blake was to launch Quick out of a cannon to clear the cap space. So he has to spend like a month at worst in a CBJ jersey. Boo friggin hoo. I'm pretty sure we've all had jobs we didn't like and were getting paid a hell of a lot less to do them than he is. He'll come back to LA to see his number get raised to the rafters and all will be well.
Saskleaf and darthsummer liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit