Forums/Armchair-GM

Sad tbh

Created by: A_K
Team: 2023-24 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 1, 2023
Published: Mar. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
In like 3 years, Armstrong turned a good defense into a completely immovable, overpaid, aging mess. He set the franchise back 5+ years with his decisions and they were all extremely questionable at the time - these aren't "hindsight is 20/20" moments.

Turned Edmundson into Faulk for no reason and gave him a massive contract with NTC
Chose Krug over Pietrangelo (also could've traded 2 2nds for Devon Toews but went with 7 x 6.5m for Krug)
Gave Scandella a terrible extension
Protected Krug over Dunn
Extended Parayko early and for 8 years when he was not playing well and already showing signs of a downfall
Turned Walman into Leddy and then gave Leddy 2x as much money and term as he should have
Lost 2 x 2nds and a 4th in the process

I just read that Edmonton was the only place Parayko would waive for, and there is zero interest from other teams in any of the other guys (all of whom have some sort of trade protection).

Don't worry about the rest of the roster, it would look different due to cap/results/sequencing.

Sorry I think I've posted this before but this whole timeline lives rent free in my head all day, every day.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
3$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$775,000
Trades
STL
  1. Dunn, Vince [RFA Rights]
SEA
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$87,968,333$20,000$0-$4,468,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 8
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 8
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$7,350,000$7,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$8,800,000$8,800,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 1, 2023 at 11:56 a.m.
Just gonna comment on a few of these. Letting Perron walk should have never happened. Letting Pietrangelo walk over a NMC also probably shouldn’t have ever happened.

That being said, aside from the extensions on Scandella and Leddy after a stretch of 15 games or so with Parayko should’ve never happened. I get the Scandella one tbh. It was our closest thing to a suitable partner for Parayko we had seen since JayBo retired. More of a fool me once situation. I hated the Leddy extension from the start. It’s Scandella 2.0. Paying term for a square peg to fit into a round hole because of a short stretch of success.

Krug was pretty much something that needed to be done. Our powerplay wasn’t great and the thought was Parayko would ascend into a 1D like Pietrangelo. Had the money and got a weapon. Faulk I never understood at the time. It was a fairly good deal. But we had Pietro and Parayko. There was nowhere to fit Faulk. Just didn’t make a lot of sense.

If we’re honest with ourselves, Walman, Edmundson, and Sundqvist all needed a change. They weren’t cracking the lineup or were struggling. Eddy was healthy scratched much of that cup run. Sunny was fresh off an ACL trae surgery and he was noticeably slow and we desperately needed defense.

Walman couldn’t crack the lineup.

Dunn hurt, but he wasn’t very trusted by our coaching staff at all the season prior. Was very shaky in his own end.

The Blues defense contracts really aren’t that bad. Parayko is still a top end defenseman. He needs a suitable partner though if he’s going to be put into the usage he is. Faulk is ok, was good the past two seasons. But hasn’t looked great this one. Krug is overpaid, Leddy is very average.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 12:08 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: AC14
Just gonna comment on a few of these. Letting Perron walk should have never happened. Letting Pietrangelo walk over a NMC also probably shouldn’t have ever happened.

That being said, aside from the extensions on Scandella and Leddy after a stretch of 15 games or so with Parayko should’ve never happened. I get the Scandella one tbh. It was our closest thing to a suitable partner for Parayko we had seen since JayBo retired. More of a fool me once situation. I hated the Leddy extension from the start. It’s Scandella 2.0. Paying term for a square peg to fit into a round hole because of a short stretch of success.

Krug was pretty much something that needed to be done. Our powerplay wasn’t great and the thought was Parayko would ascend into a 1D like Pietrangelo. Had the money and got a weapon. Faulk I never understood at the time. It was a fairly good deal. But we had Pietro and Parayko. There was nowhere to fit Faulk. Just didn’t make a lot of sense.

If we’re honest with ourselves, Walman, Edmundson, and Sundqvist all needed a change. They weren’t cracking the lineup or were struggling. Eddy was healthy scratched much of that cup run. Sunny was fresh off an ACL trae surgery and he was noticeably slow and we desperately needed defense.

Walman couldn’t crack the lineup.

Dunn hurt, but he wasn’t very trusted by our coaching staff at all the season prior. Was very shaky in his own end.

The Blues defense contracts really aren’t that bad. Parayko is still a top end defenseman. He needs a suitable partner though if he’s going to be put into the usage he is. Faulk is ok, was good the past two seasons. But hasn’t looked great this one. Krug is overpaid, Leddy is very average.

I'll concede that in the cases of Dunn, Edmundson, and especially Walman, there may be some hindsight involved. But IMO it speaks more to the philosophy of the coaching staff, i.e. why are guys that clearly possess NHL talent not valued or can't succeed in the system? We knew Dunn was gonna be Seattle's Shea Theodore and here we are. We didn't know it about Walman but he was never given an opportunity to play his game, he was strapped to Bortuzzo and told to play safe or ride pine.

I had no issue with trading for Scandella but extending him for a tacky amount after like 8 good games was the issue. Same with Leddy, the trade seemed necessary, the extension was brutal especially with the context of choosing to give that money to Leddy vs Perron.

We will see what happens but I've become extremely pessimistic that Army will be able to fix anything on defense without falling into a full, long rebuild. And maybe that doesn't waste the entire primes of Thomas and Kyrou but it definitely could have been avoided.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll