SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Boston Bruins signed David Pastrnak (8 Years / $11,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
Jimmy Stu
Smart move take the 8 year contract then quietly ask for a trade in 2 years when the team can only win 28 games. Win for both
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: ChrisNapoleon
Gotta hand it to Bergeron and Marchand, they signed team friendly deals & went to 3 Stanley cup finals. I voted no from a financial POV. It’s great their keeping Pasta around no doubt, but I think it’s too high of a cap for a team that wants to continue winning for the foreseeable future (without Bergeron)

I suspect they’ll find a way to make it work. Usually it’s not the stars that are the problem. It’s the guys you’re paying $5-7M to be average.
OldNYIfan, McGruff, ChrisNapoleon and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:34 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: jr400
Players who take a big home team discount are usually later in their careers and have already made big money. This is his time to cash in. He probably could have got more AAV on the open market, but he wouldn't have got the 8th year, so I wouldn't count that as taking less to stay in Boston.

But the narrative that Marchand handed out was that 'players will take discounts to stay in Boston and win' to try and take a shot at the Leafs (their most likely second round opponent and the people that Marchand haunts every year) and this is now my counter point
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Leafsfan98
But the narrative that Marchand handed out was that 'players will take discounts to stay in Boston and win' to try and take a shot at the Leafs (their most likely second round opponent and the people that Marchand haunts every year) and this is now my counter point

Look at DP's current contract - he's already taken the $$ discount and as a result is allowing BOS to go all in in the HERE & NOW!
cool
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
All 31 teams would have given Pastrnak this contract, so it's a good deal for the Bruins.

Pastrnak is happy where he is, so it's a good deal for him.

I can't see a justification for an iota of negativity here. The object of the game is to pay stars what they're worth. No one in his right mind would say that this is too much.
McGruff and poeticentropy liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:55 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: McGruff
Look at DP's current contract - he's already taken the $$ discount and as a result is allowing BOS to go all in in the HERE & NOW!
cool

If he was taking a 'discount' to stay in Boston, he'd be signing 8.5/8. BOS is already in win now though. Dubas makes 1 more move and that second round series would be very interesting to watch
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:59 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
If he was taking a 'discount' to stay in Boston, he'd be signing 8.5/8. BOS is already in win now though. Dubas makes 1 more move and that second round series would be very interesting to watch

Give it a rest...

KD: One move, for 2, 1A, goalies should just about do it!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The object of the game is to pay stars what they're worth.

As someone very influential in the hockey world, I can confirm ....

That the object of the game is not to pay stars what they're worth.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:34 p.m.
Edited Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
There is the little matter that they only have about 2/3's of team under contract next year and about 10m left to spend on 8 player.

That and no one with an eight figure annual salary has ever won the Stanley Cup.....
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
It's a lot, and it'll probably sting by the end. Still, this is what you have to do to keep guys like Pasta. Totally worth it!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.
Jimmy Stu

Lol a discount is 10. 8.5 is just unrealistic
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
sen krak fan
Fair contract.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: McGruff
Give it a rest...

KD: One move, for 2, 1A, goalies should just about do it!

My bad... they don't need any more moves
McGruff liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
Gotta get rid of that Reilly and Wagner contract.

I mean, maybe you should hold onto them?

Wagner is a UFA this season and only $225k of his hit is counting against the cap. Reilly is going to have to either be traded or bought out during the off-season. They'll probably have to move Forbort as well. I fully expect at minimum for Bergeron to return next year for another bonus filled deal.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
What happened to the 'Players taking under to stay in Boston' narrative? IDL this signing bc Pasta isn't a top 10 player in this league but if in your opinion he is, than you view it as a great trade

Pasta easily gets over $11.25 million on the open market. Did he take a huge discount, no, but he took less than what he'd get on the market.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:43 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: ON3M4N
Pasta easily gets over $11.25 million on the open market. Did he take a huge discount, no, but he took less than what he'd get on the market.

So you're telling me he's a top 5 player in this league? If you get rid of the Boston bias (Like how I am doing against Boston)... Is he a good player? Yes. Is he top 5 player in the league rn? No. That's why he isn't worth the 11.25 mill and that's also why he didn't take the discount.

In FA, I think he gets 10-11 mill. Therefore, I don't think he took a discount, nor should he
Mar. 2, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
So you're telling me he's a top 5 player in this league? If you get rid of the Boston bias (Like how I am doing against Boston)... Is he a good player? Yes. Is he top 5 player in the league rn?

Gee, I must be stupid. Right now Pastrnak is tied for fourth in the League in scoring with Tage Thompson, and averages less time on ice than anyone else in the top 10 in scoring EXCEPT for Thompson. And there's another statistic lurking somewhere in this thread about his being in the top 5 in scoring over the last x number of seasons, too. So I'd definitely consider him one of the top 5 forwards in the League.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Brad Marchand put no
Mar. 2, 2023 at 4:47 p.m.
Too much money.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Gee, I must be stupid. Right now Pastrnak is tied for fourth in the League in scoring with Tage Thompson, and averages less time on ice than anyone else in the top 10 in scoring EXCEPT for Thompson. And there's another statistic lurking somewhere in this thread about his being in the top 5 in scoring over the last x number of seasons, too. So I'd definitely consider him one of the top 5 forwards in the League.

I meant player and not forward bc he's going to be the 6th highest paid players in the NHL (Karlson deal isn't fair value either for the record). To add, he is playing with Marchand and Bergeron so his numbers are inflated just a little bit. You've also got to look at what he provides. For 11.25 mill, I want somebody that is an all-around player and Pasta just isn't that.

Again, Is he a very good player? Yes. Is he worth 11.25 and the 6th highest paid players in the NHL? No.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 5:54 p.m.
What happened to the 'Players taking under to stay in Boston' narrative? IDL this signing bc Pasta isn't a top 10 player in this league but if in your opinion he is, than you view it as a great trade

Pasta is definitely a top10 player and he's worth more than this it's a discount+ cap going up. Could've gotten more if he became a UFA.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
I meant player and not forward bc he's going to be the 6th highest paid players in the NHL (Karlson deal isn't fair value either for the record). To add, he is playing with Marchand and Bergeron so his numbers are inflated just a little bit. You've also got to look at what he provides. For 11.25 mill, I want somebody that is an all-around player and Pasta just isn't that.

Again, Is he a very good player? Yes. Is he worth 11.25 and the 6th highest paid players in the NHL? No.

Pastrnak has mostly played with Zacha and Krejci this season. Hall and Haula last year so he proved he can still be a top player without Marchand and Bergeron. Second, he's average to below-average defensively so it's not like he's total liability all-around and he's paid for his offense and scoring which is well worth the $11.25M.

If you don't think he's worth $11.25M, consider reviewing the NHL market and how much the other top players sign for. Do you also think Matthews/McDavid aren't worth their money because they aren't good defensively??
OldNYIfan and Luguber liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Luguber

Yeah no, he usually isn't on the same line as Marchand/Bergeron.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.

I get your point, but I wouldn't listen to anything Marchand says anyway. He's just trying to annoy the opposition. It doesn't even have to be true. Trying to disprove him only makes it worse.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Quoting: ChrisNapoleon
Gotta hand it to Bergeron and Marchand, they signed team friendly deals & went to 3 Stanley cup finals. I voted no from a financial POV. It’s great their keeping Pasta around no doubt, but I think it’s too high of a cap for a team that wants to continue winning for the foreseeable future (without Bergeron)

They didn't sign team friendly deals (outside of Bergeron's one year deal this year). Bergeron signed for typical 1c money at the time in the mid 7s and Marchand has had a legitimately bizarre career arc. He spent what would be most players primes as a good to very good but not exceptional top 6 winger scoring like 25 g/60 pts seasons. Then in his mid to late 20s signs what seems an appropriate amount for that he then explodes into a 40+ goal, 95+ point superstar. It was unpredictable

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit