SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #13: Happy trade deadline day!

Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:01 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: IconicHawk
https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2023/mar/23/nhls-blackhawks-will-not-wear-pride-jerseys-due-to-russian-anti-lgbtq-laws

When Chicago isn’t catching Ls on the ice

There is one Russian on the entire 23 man roster. This doesn’t make any sense.

Also did the hawks have fully USA blue line until Zaitsev and McCabe trade?
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
It’s Jack Edwards saying that, what’s you except, the guys a Clown

I added to my post basically add another bruh moment to his resume.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:03 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Carlson scores.

Welcome back buddy.

Also Strome is the best addition to this team since Oshie
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:06 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
@Juiceman I heard Hronek is finally in the lineup for the Canucks. Does this push the Canucks further into mediocrity?
oilersguy liked this.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:23 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Dude's honestly embarassing. An enforcer tough guy that can't fight. Gets humbled in every fight he's in

I wouldn't say that. He's done well enough for a lightweight.
Here's his record for this season: https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/21822/fightcard/reg2023
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Tyson Forester is ruining the tank smh.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:30 p.m.
I make typos

The ref is right there
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oilersguy

The ref is right there

Its a Bruin in a zebra jersey wink
oilersguy, A_Habs_fan, Sharkie69 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:36 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy

The ref is right there

I got butter sitting on my counter that's "harder" than that love tap...
& that's a linesman.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: capsfan2121
There is one Russian on the entire 23 man roster. This doesn’t make any sense.

Also did the hawks have fully USA blue line until Zaitsev and McCabe trade?

I don’t believe it was all USA

Edit: We did
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: McGruff
I got butter sitting on my counter that's "harder" than that love tap...
& that's a linesman.

Marchand hooked him and tugged him off balance before that and Evans was doing the right thing and letting up on any intention to throw a hit because the puck was already gone. So he wasn't braced and he was off balance from an obvious hook, before getting interfered with.
This is a player just returning from injury and that hook and check combination could have easily put him out again if he had fallen backwards instead of landing relatively safely. It's not the force of the play, it was dangerous and unnecessary.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: ricochetii
Marchand hooked him and tugged him off balance before that and Evans was doing the right thing and letting up on any intention to throw a hit because the puck was already gone. So he wasn't braced and he was off balance from an obvious hook, before getting interfered with.
This is a player just returning from injury and that hook and check combination could have easily put him out again if he had fallen backwards instead of landing relatively safely. It's not the force of the play, it was dangerous and unnecessary.

Danger lurks everywhere, can't live in bubble wrap.
JE was hunched and prepping to lay a hit on McAvoy who did not have the puck either.

If he's (JE) not 100% should stay off the sheet.
MTL have nothing to gain by playing him now...
Mar. 23, 2023 at 10:14 p.m.
torontos finest
IMG_3971.png
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 10:16 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: mondo
IMG_3971.png

Well now you know who to start
Mar. 23, 2023 at 10:18 p.m.
Go Habs Go
JE was hunched and prepping to lay a hit on McAvoy who did not have the puck either.

He's already turning away and slowing before he gets hooked.
When's the last time you saw a player going into a hit with their hands below their waist?
He averages 1 hit every 2 games and you think he's using it there?
Watch again.
Mar. 23, 2023 at 10:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
IMG_3971.png

Been saying it

Sammy's a home wall
Murray road warrior

If u want more

1.95GAA at home Sammy
2.67 GAA on road Murray
Mar. 23, 2023 at 11:27 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
"Dallas Scores
Dallas Scores
Dallas Scores
Dallas Scores
Dallas Scores...!"
Minnesota North Stars
Mar. 23, 2023 at 11:54 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
The Old Vancouver "Finger" Trap is alive & well:
TV broadcast crew: "JT Miller is on a "heater" under Tocchet (in garbage time of course/same as last yr w/ BB) - what a benefit he'll be next season...."
baaaawwww-haaaaa-haaaa-ha
Db1899 and Tintin liked this.
Mar. 24, 2023 at 1:22 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Just realized almost everyone Pitt traded for is on LTIR

Only Granlund survived after the TDL
Mar. 24, 2023 at 8:12 a.m.
Habs fan somehow

You're so full of it its outraging. Welcome to my ignore list.
A_Habs_fan and McGruff liked this.
Mar. 24, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: gm_jeanguy
You're so full of it its outraging. Welcome to my ignore list.

Nice knowing you too...have a nice day.
smile
capsfan2121, zk97 and Sklikly liked this.
Mar. 24, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean do we want to wait for Sandin to turn into something or do we want to win a cup. No true contender got time to wait these days. If u can move a prospect get a good asset do it.

Right, okay. I think that the Leafs having Rielly in the lineup instead of Sandin actively makes them worse.
It brings them further away from the cup (or even winning a playoff round) than closer to it.

Like look at the last 5 games for Sandin in DC in top 4 mins

4 assists -11

Meanwhile since the trade Rielly has started getting his act together only having one bad performance his last 5 games.
If he was doing that in Toronto rn people would be screaming for the pressbox and against Tampa stuff like that aint gonna cut it.

+/-? in 2023? Come on man surely you understand there are more accurate ways to determine the contributions of a player than frickin +/-

By GSVA Sandin and Rielly are currently equal at 1.4.
Sandin generates most of that value by being a ridiculously strong offensive playdriver and average at defence whereas Rielly is merely a good offensive playdriver and overall average at defence.
Rielly's got more points than Sandin but I'd bet a portion of that is from getting a lot more PP1 time than Sandin (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
This is not taking into account that Sandin makes 19% of Rielly's amount against the cap.
Imagine having the space available to fit someone like Meier in onto this Leafs roster on top of what you already have.
Nor is this taking into account that Rielly is past his prime and will be regressing whereas Sandin is just gonna get better from here on (and keep in mind that Sandin is an equivalent level defender to Rielly in this very moment).

He struggles against hard forecheck teams and in a playoff run we got Tampa, Boston, and Carolina all of whom play that type of game.
Wish him well but if we go by recent performance especially playoffs Rielly got the advantage and for a team wanting a cup rn u go with the vet. If he was able incorporate better defense like Liligren and handle those tough shutdown assignments he would still have been here but he couldnt. Either way we want a cup so sacrifices must be made.

Fine ok Sandin may not have the forecheck negation down yet, but isn't this a preferable problem to deal with over having the worst rush defender (of the playoffs) in Rielly in the lineup instead?
I think not.

And as I said, I think that resigning Rielly and trading Sandin lowered the Leafs chances to win the cup this year (owing to the opportunity costs associated with Rielly's higher cap hit).
But what's worse (worse for the Leafs anyway) is that this decision significantly lowered the Leafs chances to win the cup in future seasons.
NoVaSpartan, capsfan2121, Db1899 and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 24, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin
Right, okay. I think that the Leafs having Rielly in the lineup instead of Sandin actively makes them worse.
It brings them further away from the cup (or even winning a playoff round) than closer to it.

+/-? in 2023? Come on man surely you understand there are more accurate ways to determine the contributions of a player than frickin +/-

Sandin generates most of that value by being a ridiculously strong offensive playdriver and average at defence whereas Rielly is merely a good offensive playdriver and overall average at defence.
Rielly's got more points than Sandin but I'd bet a portion of that is from getting a lot more PP1 time than Sandin (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
This is not taking into account that Sandin makes 19% of Rielly's amount against the cap.
Imagine having the space available to fit someone like Meier in onto this Leafs roster on top of what you already have.
Nor is this taking into account that Rielly is past his prime and will be regressing whereas Sandin is just gonna get better from here on (and keep in mind that Sandin is an equivalent level defender to Rielly in this very moment).

Fine ok Sandin may not have the forecheck negation down yet, but isn't this a preferable problem to deal with over having the worst rush defender (of the playoffs) in Rielly in the lineup instead?
I think not.

And as I said, I think that resigning Rielly and trading Sandin lowered the Leafs chances to win the cup this year (owing to the opportunity costs associated with Rielly's higher cap hit).
But what's worse (worse for the Leafs anyway) is that this decision significantly lowered the Leafs chances to win the cup in future seasons.

Devon Toews struggling against Tampas forecheck is why at least 50% of isles fans wanted him gone after the ECF. Defenseman with high IQ (like sandin) usually figure out a way to mitigate their weaknesses in the defensive zone. I wouldn’t even say he’s a bad defensive player at this point and he’ll only get better from here
Mar. 24, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 24, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin

I think not.

Leafs have 5 defense focused defenders rn in Brodie, McCabe, Giordano, Holl, and Schenn. And if u watched the Avs game Rielly was their best Dman shutting down numerous 2 on 1's while also chipping in their only goal. And if u look at his playoff stat last year vs. Tampa 3 goals and assists and one fight won. Sandin meanwhile as I mentioned struggles against tight forecheck. Sure you can go Sandin's stats are better. Leafs had better stats than Tampa in the 7 game series what happened they lost. Stats honestly are clouding people's vision these days.

Rush defense is not something to go to Rielly for as Leafs have 5 defensive Dman for that but little credit's given to him as we have seen him do it. Omar got clips from the Avs game highlighting it. McCabe-Holl will probs get that responsibility as thats what a shutdown pair is for. In general rush defense was something leafs used to struggle with but now are fine. Besides have u seen Tampa 26th in Rush offense since the All-Star Break, Leafs 14th.

But as for Sandin vs. Rielly in probabilities of a cup thats just silly. No team would go with a rookie with potential over a long time vet in a 7 game series vs. a team who has gone to the finals 3 times. That rookie would have to put up 2-way stats on par with Josi, Makar, Hedman to get a shot. If anything that would be asking the coach and GM to be fired. As we see rn Sandin and top 4 mins arent a real healthy mix as 4 assists and a -11 in 5 games not good. And u wouldnt want Gio in the top 4 at 40 years old. Meanwhile Rielly last series vs. Tampa had a good performance and there is little to say he wont do it again as hes been on the right track with some good defensive performances vs. Carolina and the Avs and potting up some points. When u go into a playoff series vs. Tampa your gonna want Dman who dont crumble under the pressure of forechecking as that is how they do their damage and Rielly, Brodie, Holl, and Gio have the experience of facing Tampa already

Guy worked for the NHL's front office as an analyst so when he says this pretty clear Sandin would have been in the pressbox in the Tampa series lowering the value and would have been traded for less at the draft.
Mar. 24, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 24, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
Devon Toews struggling against Tampas forecheck is why at least 50% of isles fans wanted him gone after the ECF. Defenseman with high IQ (like sandin) usually figure out a way to mitigate their weaknesses in the defensive zone. I wouldn’t even say he’s a bad defensive player at this point and he’ll only get better from here

Well when u get a partner like Makar whose one of the best Dman out there it helps lul. As it helps shortcomings and when u look at the Avs system they deploy him and Makar in a matter that helps prevent that issue from arising.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll