SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Chara 19-20?

What will become of Chara?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 15, 2017 at 2:03 a.m.
B-League Player/GM
Any speculation on what will happen with Chara when his contract is up? Assume he stays healthy, has a season similar to this years' and Bs are in playoff spot. Will he retire? Sign short term on a hometown discount while relinquishing the C? Any thoughts?
Jun. 15, 2017 at 6:21 p.m.
Quoting: KnifeBoot28
Any speculation on what will happen with Chara when his contract is up? Assume he stays healthy, has a season similar to this years' and Bs are in playoff spot. Will he retire? Sign short term on a hometown discount while relinquishing the C? Any thoughts?

He has stated he wants to continue playing. He is in great shape usually, one of the most in-shape in the league!! As long as he wants to play, he will be a Bruin. I believe ownership will have honest discussions with him down the road, but I think he can still play for 2 years anyway.....but he also will understand when he is holding the team back and at that point will likely retire......while he is still playing for the B's there is no need to relinquish the C. It doesn't mean that much really, and he is still a leader in the room, players like Bergy look to him for leadership still!

I believe he will retire a Bruin. Just a matter of when.
Jun. 15, 2017 at 10:43 p.m.
B-League Player/GM
Quoting: PaulDunnill

He has stated he wants to continue playing. He is in great shape usually, one of the most in-shape in the league!! As long as he wants to play, he will be a Bruin. I believe ownership will have honest discussions with him down the road, but I think he can still play for 2 years anyway.....but he also will understand when he is holding the team back and at that point will likely retire......while he is still playing for the B's there is no need to relinquish the C. It doesn't mean that much really, and he is still a leader in the room, players like Bergy look to him for leadership still!

I'm with you provided he stays healthy. Though, If Boston does pursuit and land a top 4 LHD there may be a log jam on the left once prospects are looking for ice time in the show.
Jun. 16, 2017 at 5:32 p.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill

I'm with you provided he stays healthy. Though, If Boston does pursuit and land a top 4 LHD there may be a log jam on the left once prospects are looking for ice time in the show.

Agreed. That's why I don't think they go after anyone major until Chara does retire. They have prospects that they can evaluate and perhaps bring them in.
Jun. 17, 2017 at 5:33 a.m.
He can sign at a lower initial salary and have bonuses attached to his 35+ contract. Just keep doing 1 yr deals that way. I'd try and stay away from any term deals, a buyout or if he retires would still cost the full cap hit. Nothing against Chara, but it's protection for the team.
Jun. 17, 2017 at 6:39 p.m.
I think he'll retire and if not it will be a 1 year 3-4 mil deal. Can't see him really willing to join another team other than a Pittsburgh or Chicago like team that has high end players so he can play a role rather than being the main guy .
Jun. 18, 2017 at 3:11 a.m.
He won't retire yet. And I don't see him going to another team. He WILL retire a Bruin!! Count on it!!

I agree with Wabit. He will keep signing 1 year deals at low salary and bonus incentives. He WILL NOT handcuff the Bruins. They have a good relationship mutually and as long as he wants to play they will accommodate him, but in a way that doesn't handcuff the team. He was part of a cup team, he is valued in Boston. Just like Bourque, they would have done anything for Bourque and he wanted to win a cup so they said where do you want to go, and the team then moved him to Colorado and he got his cup. Chara already has one with Boston so he is revered in Boston and will let him make his own call.....again, as long as it doesnt't handcuff the team, and Chara won't want to handcuff the team. It's RESPECT from both parties!

If you don't understand/agrre with this, you are not a REAL Bruin fan......
Jun. 28, 2017 at 10:26 p.m.
Banned
Should Sign With Red Wings Then Retired
Jun. 29, 2017 at 5:07 p.m.
TheGiftedYoungRider
Quoting: jasongura25

Maybe, but I think he will test free agency, get picked up on a one year contract, and from there he could retire.
Jul. 3, 2017 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: TheGiftedYoungRider
Quoting: jasongura25

Maybe, but I think he will test free agency, get picked up on a one year contract, and from there he could retire.

If he plays past his current contract it will be with Boston. See my message above....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit