Forums/Armchair-GM

Re-tool

Created by: Connys_Cucks
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2023
Published: Mar. 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Out of all the guys on expiring deals, re-sign Lindholm to whatever he wants, and re-sign Backlund since he's somehow getting better as he gets older and he'll take a hometown deal to stay and be captain.

Kills me to trade Toffoli but you can get a haul with hit cap hit and only a year remaining.

If there is a way to move Kadri to anybody, you do it. That guy is a joke of a hockey player and one of the worst leaders I've ever seen. Laziest and worst attitude on the team, at least Huberdeau is being handicapped by his coach at every turn. Kadri just dosent give a crap.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,250,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Coronato, Matthew
3$950,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Bokk, Dominik [RFA Rights]
  2. Suzuki, Ryan
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (CAR)
CGY
  1. Grzelcyk, Matt
  2. Lysell, Fabian
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Tanev, Christopher
  2. 2023 6th round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (DAL)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$76,314,999$0$212,500$7,185,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
Coronato, Matthew
$950,000$950,000
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
$855,833$855,833
RW, C
RFA - 1
$832,500$832,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
Toffoli is worth more
Doubt Boston can afford that and probably wouldn't pay that either.
Zadorov is probably worth more based on tangibles
McGruff liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
Easy no from the Bruins on that one.
McGruff liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Toffoli is worth more
Doubt Boston can afford that and probably wouldn't pay that either.
Zadorov is probably worth more based on tangibles

For one year of Toff? Thats a pretty good return.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:40 p.m.
Quoting: ChuckyCheese
For one year of Toff? Thats a pretty good return.

Maybe 3 years ago it was a good return, certainly not now. Bokk is 23 and isn't even playing in North America this year. Odds are pretty decent he doesn't even get extended a QO this summer. Suzuki has been underwhelming since the OHL. You put far too much value in former draft position.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Ya there’s no possible way to make the case that that’s what boston needs.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
TrevorA
Trading Tanev might be a decent idea, but we don't want Grzelcyk when we already have Kylington. Better to figure out a Trade with BOS involving Noah Hanifin, if we can sign Orlov via Free Agency or somehow pry Hampus Lindholm away from them. Carlo has always been of interest as well. I like AJ Greer as a Lucic replacement target as well.

I'd definitely want more for Toffoli, who's on a marvelous value contract. The only way he gets moved is if a) Coronato signs, b) we bring in another Star and need his Cap Space or c) we can't afford to re-sign him and the offer is to good to turn up. Suzuki & Bokk are pure gambles and haven't really jumped out of the page to justify Trading our Best Forward this year for. I believe we already have Better Prospects than them in Zary & MEP; IOW their values have dropped AFAIC

I'd want more for Zadorov. Hard to replace Big Physical 6'6 250lb Guys. Kuznetsov won't be ready, so only if Gilbert can fill his void or we sign another guy would trading him for less than a 2nd make sense

Definitely don't want Stecher back at $2.25mil. He's a fine 7th D-Man, but better than Stone, Gilbert or Meloche at less than $1mil/yr, I don't really believe that move makes much sense either

Kadri needs to be moved to the Wing imo and I recommend the RW, as he's our best Matthew Tkachuk replacement for that position given his style of play and shot:

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Kadri
Huberdeau-Drouin/Backlund-Toffoli/Coronato
Dube-Backlund/Drouin-Coleman
Pelletier/Ruzicka-Coronato/Zary-Ruzicka/Duehr
xRitchie

Weegar-Andersson
Orlov-Tanev/Carlo/???
Kylinton/Zadorov-Tanev/?
xGilbert/Stone/Meloche
Mar. 17, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
Trading Tanev might be a decent idea, but we don't want Grzelcyk when we already have Kylington. Better to figure out a Trade with BOS involving Noah Hanifin, if we can sign Orlov via Free Agency or somehow pry Hampus Lindholm away from them. Carlo has always been of interest as well. I like AJ Greer as a Lucic replacement target as well.

I'd definitely want more for Toffoli, who's on a marvelous value contract. The only way he gets moved is if a) Coronato signs, b) we bring in another Star and need his Cap Space or c) we can't afford to re-sign him and the offer is to good to turn up. Suzuki & Bokk are pure gambles and haven't really jumped out of the page to justify Trading our Best Forward this year for. I believe we already have Better Prospects than them in Zary & MEP; IOW their values have dropped AFAIC

I'd want more for Zadorov. Hard to replace Big Physical 6'6 250lb Guys. Kuznetsov won't be ready, so only if Gilbert can fill his void or we sign another guy would trading him for less than a 2nd make sense

Definitely don't want Stecher back at $2.25mil. He's a fine 7th D-Man, but better than Stone, Gilbert or Meloche at less than $1mil/yr, I don't really believe that move makes much sense either

Kadri needs to be moved to the Wing imo and I recommend the RW, as he's our best Matthew Tkachuk replacement for that position given his style of play and shot:

xRitchie

Weegar-Andersson
Orlov-Tanev/Carlo/???
Kylinton/Zadorov-Tanev/?
xGilbert/Stone/Meloche

Lindholm and Carlo would be non-starters for Boston. Greer you can have honestly. If you're expecting a "Lucic replacement" then you're going to be very disappointed. Can Greer fight? ya. Is he good at it? no. Does Greer put the fear of god into someone when the drop the gloves? maybe a 9yr old child.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
I don't see the benefit to Boston here. Tanev would their #3RD and they're trading the top prospect + 3rd + Grz for him? Value just isn't there for Boston when you consider the need.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.

xRitchie

Weegar-Andersson
Orlov-Tanev/Carlo/???
Kylinton/Zadorov-Tanev/?
xGilbert/Stone/Meloche

Except boston has no need for hanifin
Mar. 17, 2023 at 9:15 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: ON3M4N
Lindholm and Carlo would be non-starters for Boston. Greer you can have honestly. If you're expecting a "Lucic replacement" then you're going to be very disappointed. Can Greer fight? ya. Is he good at it? no. Does Greer put the fear of god into someone when the drop the gloves? maybe a 9yr old child.

More concerned about him being a Younger, More Defensively Responsible and significantly Cheaper 4LW version than Lucic

Someone with Size who likes to Body Check a lot and adds that Sand Paper = Grit and Nastiness to get under the opponents skin. If he Fights too, that's a bonus, but given there aren't that many Fights in the NHL anymore, especially in the Playoffs, I'm not too concerned how good he is at it. The fact he's a French Canadian has some appeal as well, might be a good Project and 13th/14th Forward. Seems like a Sutter Type Player to me anyways
Mar. 17, 2023 at 9:21 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: DefenseFirst
Except boston has no need for hanifin

Except for the fact they've been interested in him for years and would prefer to have him more than Grzelcyk....

If they could move Grz and had the money to sign Hanifin long-term, I think they'd do it in a heart beat
Mar. 17, 2023 at 9:51 p.m.
Except for the fact they've been interested in him for years and would prefer to have him more than Grzelcyk....

If they could move Grz and had the money to sign Hanifin long-term, I think they'd do it in a heart beat

There’s been zero indication they’ve had interest in him since draft day.

If they move grzelcyk, it’s because they don’t have the cap space to ice a full roster without doing so. No space for hanifin.

Let’s pretend they have that room - just sign orlov who has fit in wonderfully, and move grzelcyk to recoup futures from their deadline spending spree.

No matter how you look at it, acquiring hanifin makes no sense for boston.
Mar. 18, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.
More concerned about him being a Younger, More Defensively Responsible and significantly Cheaper 4LW version than Lucic

Someone with Size who likes to Body Check a lot and adds that Sand Paper = Grit and Nastiness to get under the opponents skin. If he Fights too, that's a bonus, but given there aren't that many Fights in the NHL anymore, especially in the Playoffs, I'm not too concerned how good he is at it. The fact he's a French Canadian has some appeal as well, might be a good Project and 13th/14th Forward. Seems like a Sutter Type Player to me anyways

Ya you'd be disappointed if he was on your team.
Mar. 18, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: DefenseFirst
There’s been zero indication they’ve had interest in him since draft day.

If they move grzelcyk, it’s because they don’t have the cap space to ice a full roster without doing so. No space for hanifin.

Let’s pretend they have that room - just sign orlov who has fit in wonderfully, and move grzelcyk to recoup futures from their deadline spending spree.

No matter how you look at it, acquiring hanifin makes no sense for boston.

BOS has been looking for a better LD for years and finally secured one in Lindholm when they weren't able to pry Hanifin away from CGY. Since then they've acquired another one in Orlov, so they've continuously been in the market for Better LD's than Gryzelcyk, Forbort, Reilly and Zboril

If BOS can re-sign Orlov, Great, but he's going to want $6-7mil/yr+ and as a Free Agent may simply choose to go elsewhere to the highest bidder, BOS has no rights to just re-sign him

There really is no better fit for BOS than Boston Native and Local Noah Hanifin who is still Young and already lives and trains in BOS. Once Grzelcyk and/or Reilly come off the books, the money is already there to sign Hanifin long-term, so to say Hanifin isn't a fit and BOS hasn't been interested in Hanifin is just being silly. They've inquired about him every year he's been a Flame and were upset CAR Traded him to CGY and not them from the get go:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bruins+interested+in+hanifin&rlz=1CAJFMC_enCA1002CA1002&oq=bruins+interested+in+hanifin&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2.5224j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Mar. 18, 2023 at 12:22 p.m.
TrevorA
Ya you'd be disappointed if he was on your team.

Yes perhaps, but at below league minimum come next season, he might be worth consideration. It's amazing how players move and take off sometimes. He had a great start to the season with BOS and then trailed off, but he's young, so I'd give him a look if the price was right = Late Pick, Future Considerations, Player Swap or as a Throw-In on a Trade. Sutter loves his Big Gritty Checkers and his system is designed for a Bottom-6 Player like Greer, so long as he can be Defensively Responsible, which it appears he is given his Takeaway/Giveaway Ratio and GA/60 stats
Mar. 18, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
Yes perhaps, but at below league minimum come next season, he might be worth consideration. It's amazing how players move and take off sometimes. He had a great start to the season with BOS and then trailed off, but he's young, so I'd give him a look if the price was right = Late Pick, Future Considerations, Player Swap or as a Throw-In on a Trade. Sutter loves his Big Gritty Checkers and his system is designed for a Bottom-6 Player like Greer, so long as he can be Defensively Responsible, which it appears he is given his Takeaway/Giveaway Ratio and GA/60 stats

I'd trade him for Future Considerations and feel like Boston got the better end of the deal. He'll be 27yr old next season and just hasn't been able to become a regular anywhere he's been. Don't think he's really all that physical nor anything more than average defensively.

He's playing in a juggernaut team and only playing at an 18pt pace. You can get a young guy with upside who gives you that.
Mar. 18, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
TrevorA
I'd trade him for Future Considerations and feel like Boston got the better end of the deal. He'll be 27yr old next season and just hasn't been able to become a regular anywhere he's been. Don't think he's really all that physical nor anything more than average defensively.

He's playing in a juggernaut team and only playing at an 18pt pace. You can get a young guy with upside who gives you that.

Send him over. We'll get him playing better. He's shown he can be a force in the AHL, so he's got the skill & talent, he just needs the right opportunity to put everything together imo. That'd be a low risk move and looks like a better option for us than Dryden Hunt or Radim Zohorna have been/were
Mar. 18, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
Send him over. We'll get him playing better. He's shown he can be a force in the AHL, so he's got the skill & talent, he just needs the right opportunity to put everything together imo. That'd be a low risk move and looks like a better option for us than Dryden Hunt or Radim Zohorna have been/were

I wish I could lol. Up until a few games ago he was blocking Lauko, whose been so much better. Luckily when everyone is healthy Greer will be sitting in the press box

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll