SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock Draft with Analysis

Mock Draft with Analysis

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Mar. 19, 2023 at 2:05 a.m.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks (9→1)
  2. Logo of the Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres (12→2)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-No surprises here. A bit of homecoming here as Vancouver gets Bedard. Pretty much the only option for 1st overall, there’s really no glaring flaws in his game. Thinks the game at an elite level already. His attitude is also really good, he could potentially save the Canucks horrible locker room chemistry. Fans of the Canucks have had to play against Auston Matthews for nearly half a decade, here they get a player who’s projected to be the same breed of player. Bedard is a Hall of Famer in the making.
2Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-This is a controversial pick here at 2nd, and Fantilli is the safest option here. A lot of people might hate on this one because Savoie is seen as a center. But with his size, he is more suitable for the wing. But still, imagine a 1-2 punch of Tage and Fantilli? That seems tantalizing for Adams and company. Even add Ostlund to the mix. Wingers are already set up, you could argue that Buffalo needs a defenseman more, but none are worth the second pick. But Fantilli is still a really good pick here, like Bedard there’s no glaring flaws in Fantilli’s game. I would say he’s more of a two-way center rather than a sniper. Fantilli does have a booming shot and he has an advanced offensive toolkit, but is also really flashy defensively. In simpler words, Fantilli has the complete package. Will be a GMs favorite, Fantilli will be the guy that pushes Buffalo into the playoffs. I think they will miss out again this season, but barely. Adding Fantilli will get them there.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Though I could see Columbus hard-balling on Michkov, I think they should take Carlsson. I’m not sold on Sillinger, outside of him there’s really nothing down the middle. Carlsson can change that. The kid I compare most to Timo Meier, Carlsson can score in bunches. He also has size with that rounded offensive toolkit, which is the definition of a power forward. From a booming shot, slick playmaking, and dynamic hockey sense, Carlsson never takes a shift off defensively. But he’s mostly known for offensive and could contribute in many different ways for the Blue Jackets. He won’t push them over the edge in terms of center depth but he will be the backbone for sure.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Even though Michkov is the safest option at 4th and addresses the need for a skilled winger, Grier has addressed that he wants size as most of their prospects are small. And I agree with that. But the problem is, there are no tall wingers that are worth the 4th pick. Even though centers aren’t a need for the Sharks, Dvorsky fits what Grier is looking for and could be worth this pick. I do have Smith ranked higher, but Dvorsky is much bigger and sharper defensively WITHOUT scoring in bunches. I love the potential of Bystedt and Bordeleau, but a 1-2 punch of Dvorsky and Bordeleau is better. Dvorsky is basically a defensive-oriented center. He is actually better offensively than most think, the shot and playmaking is there. Add elite puck handling to his offensive toolkit. But defensively, he’s better, displays exciting aggressiveness and stick checking without being overly disciplined. Able to control the gaps really well. The only knock on Dvorsky is the agility. He does make up for it with the speed and the ability to adapt to the pace, but he isn’t agile with the puck. The Sharks get unlucky with Fantilli and Carlsson off the board, but Dvorsky isn’t a bad pick either.
5Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago is fortunate to have Michkov fall into their lap. If there’s any team that is willing to wait of Michkov, it’s the Blackhawks. They won’t even be competitive for a few years, by the time Michkov comes over they will be an outsider for the playoffs. The fact that Michkov’s KHL contract doesn’t expire till 2026 will scare GMs away, though he has shown that he can be a franchise-altering winger in the NHL. Michkov is the definition of a goal-scorer, he also has elite playmaking, and a good sense of the game. During his time in the KHL, Michkov should develop his decision making defensively and keep his emotions in check. I don’t like his attitude on the ice. But this is a very forgiving player for the Blackhawks to build their franchise around, Michkov is high-risk, high-reward.
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Anaheim is fortunate enough to land the playmaking Smith. Their winger depth is set with MacTavish, Pastujov, and Gaucher. Its down the middle where they need help. Trevor Zegras-type player, Smith has silky mitts, elite hockey IQ, and superior skating on him. Also a really hard-worker on the ice as he never takes a shift off defensively, making all the right decisions. Smith doesn’t have any major holes outside the fact that his shot from the blue line isn’t powerful. However, he does have a booming wrist shot from the slot and is a menace in that area. A 1-2 punch of Zegras and Smith would be formidable for the future, and Smith could even get some mentorship from Zegras himself since the play a similar style.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-With Briere’s first pick as GM, I believe he will take a left winger. Outside Farabee, there isn’t much as I see Gauthier as a center with his NHL-caliber size and skating. The safe options are Cristall and Benson, and I prefer Cristall more. Both are the same, but I like Cristall’s defensive smarts more. He has the mold of a playmaker, with a booming shot and elite 200-ft game. Cristall is a menace in the neutral zone and uses dynamic 4-way agility and acceleration in all 3 zones. He reminds me of Nikolaj Ehlers in a lot of ways, fast and crafty. Cristall will be a solid complimentary player to Gauthier and Brink in the near future. He needs to improve his size, but that shouldn’t be a major issue because of his 200-ft game. Will be a solid piece for the Flyers rebuild.
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-I’m pretty sure we all know that there aren’t many defenders available in the early portion of the draft. A team like Montreal could use a new face on the back end more than a forward. It’s a coin flip between Reinbacher and Pelikka on who’s the top defender in the draft, and I love Reinbacher more. Mackenzie Weeger-type player, Reinbacher is a skilled two-way defender that could be the backbone of the Canadiens defensive corp. Great size at 6’2”, sold 3-zone player, fluid skater, and a booming shot that is used from anywhere. The biggest knock on Reinbacher is the lack of physicality. Its usage is inconsistent, but whenever the physicality is there, Reinbacher tends to wear down the opposition. Montreal gets a guy who can lead in all situations of the game and is willing to make an impact on a daily basis.
9Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-The amount of good forwards in this draft is what made Pelikka fall to 14th on my draft board, but in the draft he will be a top 10 pick. The Coyotes do have another pick at 12th overall, but I don’t think Pelikka will be available. Its better to go off-the-board and take him when he’s there. I often compare him to a righty Josh Morrissey, Pelikka is an undersized defender who plays a good two-way game. Solid 3-zone player with a booming shot and a dynamic 200-ft game. Really smart defensively, Pelikka isn’t afraid to muck it up in the corners and be aggressive without taking dumb infractions. Really flashy on the powerplay and penalty kill. After getting fleeced on the Chychrun trade, the Coyotes will now get a backbone for their defensive core that already has Moser and Soderstrom (who really needs a change of scenery).
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-I was hoping to have Reinbacher or Pelikka fall to the Blues because their d-core is aging. Wingers aren’t a need for the Blues, but it would be a reach to grab the best center available. I normally don’t like more than two off-the-board picks, so I think the best option for the Blues is Sale. I do have Benson ranked higher, but the Blues have a tendency to avoid undersized forwards. Sale plays a similar game to Benson but is bigger. Flashy playmaker who plays with a nice shot and fluid skating. Not afraid to get into the dirty areas either. Sale does need to improve his defensive zone play, but other than that, it’s a really good pick. This kid feels like a Blue in my eyes, and he will round out the future top 6 core for the Blues.
11Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-I don’t think this is a pick that Yzerman would make, but Benson pretty much falls into Detroit’s lap here. Solely due to size and teams addressing their needs. Benson plays a dual-offensive game, just a really dynamic playmaker with a sniper’s shot. One of the fastest skaters in the draft as well, Benson often thinks one step ahead of the defender. Also a really hard-working player as Benson doesn’t take shifts off defensively. However, it won’t translate into the NHL at all because of his size, which also affects his physicality. A bit on the small side at 5’8”, but I see a lot of Mitch Marner in his game. Anti-physical, 200-ft player, with silky mitts. The Red Wings should be ecstatic here with this selection.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsI was hoping to have Benson fall to Arizona, but they will be happy with Yager who falls into their lap here. Ranked 10th on my board, scouts mostly describe Yager as a sniper. But if you watch his games more closely, you will see that he’s more of a two-way forward. Yes, Yager has the booming shot and high offensive smarts, but he’s also really good defensively. I’ve seen a lot of mocks have Yager fall solely based off his skating, which is the reason why he falls in mine. Another flaw that should be taken into account is that Yager needs to bulk up in order to transition to the NHL. But Arizona has shown that they don’t really care about size, take Logan Cooley for example. It will take a few years for Yager to develop into the perfect player, but it will be worth it. Ryan O’Rielly-type player, Coyotes fans should be ecstatic with this pick.
13Logo of the Washington Capitals-I think that there are better options than Gulyayev for this pick, but in the last mock draft I posted, a Caps fan said that he hopes the Capitals grab Gulyayev if he was available. Here you go. Gulyayev has the mold of an offensive defender and reminds me of a righty Cale Makar in many ways. His game is all about offense, Gulyayev is a menace near the boards and not afraid to mix it up in the corners. He is the fastest defenseman in the early portion of the draft and not afraid to pinch the o-zone. Gulyayev does need to work on his defensive zone play, I think a year or two in the KHL will benefit his development. A bit of a project, but there’s no denying the potential of this pick, he’s doing really good things in Russia.
14Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersMontreal should be happy with their selection of Reinbacher. I think Montreal goes best winger available, which is Wood. And no, Wood is not a sniper. He’s more of a power forward, its mostly seen with his ability to use his size to blow by defenders. Reminds me of a rawer version of Tage Thompson, not afraid to mix it up in the corners, possesses a booming shot, and has electric playmaking on him. Wood does play with such high motor, but he needs to improve his mobility. He’s also a liability in his own end, I think his time in the NCAA will help him fix this issue. Wood will round out the Canadiens top 6 that already has Slafkovsky and Caufield. Upcoming is Mesar, Roy, and now Matt Wood.
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-This is off-the-board, but Heidt just feels like a Flame. Johnny Gaudreau-type player, electric playmaker, elite edgework, and a menace near the net. Heidt also has a booming shot and is not shy of mucking it up in the corners. He can win a lot of 1-on-1 situations using his 200-ft game and 4-way mobility. Barely needs any space to blow by defenders. He just needs to improve in his own end and get bigger to continue his aggressiveness at the next level. The fact that he’s on a crappy Prince George team (a system that is known for developing busts; Jansen Harkins and Brett Connolly) doesn’t help him out either, but Calgary has shown that they are willing to be patient with prospects. Heidt will take a few years, but will be the backbone of the Flames forward core.
16Logo of the Nashville Predators-Two things that Nashville needs in their system is a playmaker for Kemell and a center. Moore brings both of these. He’s the kid I compare most to Trevor Zegras, a dual-offensive threat, crafty playmaker with a booming shot. A really good skater as well and Moore isn’t afraid to get into the dirty areas of the o-zone. He does need to speed up his decisions defensively as Moore leaves way too many passing options for the opposing puck carrier. But a really good center added to a team that desperately needs one.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersBiggest off-the-board pick, but this is a player that I feel like Yzerman could take. Lindstein was once a player that I had in my top 10 at the start of the season, so I think some teams will have quite high on their draft boards. And it’s not like Lindstein is bad, he’s actually quite good. Really good two-way defender, reminds me of a lefty Seth Jones. But he’s the most agile skater in the draft and defensive Lindstein is exciting to watch. Displays aggressiveness without being overly undisciplined, and is able to tighten gaps with his stick. He is inconsistent offensively, but whenever it is there, Lindstein is really good at o-zone entries and not afraid of mixing it up in the corners. Also very bulky considering his height and he has a booming shot. But if Lindstein wants to get back to the top 10 player he once was, the consistency on offense needs a massive improvement. Once again, off-the-board from the SHL, but we have seen what Yzerman did with Seider. The Edvinsson and Kasper picks are becoming better and better each day, I can see the same happening with Lindstein.
18Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-This is a guy that is heavily underestimated because of his frame, but in my eyes, the size is enough to succeed in the NHL. Instead of the size, Perreault’s main downfall is the effort without the puck. He often puts himself is questionable positions and sometimes seems uncoordinated with his linemates. Nikita Kucherov-type player, pure playmaker who isn’t shy of scoring in the dirty areas of the ice. Perreault also has an above average shot and the best NHL bloodlines in the draft. He’s the son of Yanic Perreault and younger brother of Jacob Perreault. Pittsburgh needs to draft best forward available, while Perreault won’t be as good as Crosby, he will make their forward core deeper for the future.
19Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-As a Jets fan, I would ecstatic if Bonk fell to us. Some people may hate on this one, and I get it, but Bonk is a guy that I have ranked 16th on my board. He just feels like a Jet, Bonk plays a type of game that will mesh under Bowness. Defensively-oriented, I often compare Bonk to a righty Adam Pelech. Mostly a two-way that is incredibly noticeable defensively, he has amazing gap control and the best stick checker in the draft. Also has really good size and doesn’t shy away from a hit, which would wear down the opposition. His offensive is getting way better as the season is progressing, Bonk is a really good puck handler and has a booming shot from the point. Though I would love to see more variety in his shot (he normally goes for tip-in goals) and improve his decisions inside the o-zone. Bonk tends to pinch the zone, leaving an open pass for the opposition. But he’s really good on the powerplay, which is the something the Jets need to fix. The Jets will go one of two ways with the pick, right-shot defender or left wing. They will through the roof if Bonk falls to them.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Defensive upside is what made me put Dragicevic at 25th on my board, but in the draft he will go top 20. I’m not sold on the Kraken’s pipeline on defense, they have Ryker Evans but at best he’s a 4th defender on any team. Even though Dragicevic’s defensive upside isn’t good, the offensive brings him up and he does have top 4 potential on him. Dragicevic is a pure offensive defenseman with great size at 6’2”, a booming shot from the point, and superior playmaking. He also has really good 4-way agility on him. But he does need to fix up his d-zone play. Really good pick for a team that desperately needs defenseman in their prospect pool.
21Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersNashville needs defenseman more, but there aren’t many that are worth the first round. The Predators don’t need any forward prospects at any position, the forward core is stacked with Afanasyev, Svechkov, Kemell, and now Moore. Tomasino and Parssinen are solid young players coming into their own. L’Heureux has a 50/50 chance of being an NHL regular. So what do you do if there’s no worthy defenders available for a team who has a stacked forward core? You go BPA. And Leonard has fallen far enough. Ranked 17th on my board, its surprising to see Leonard drafted outside the top 20. He plays with such high energy and is a pure goal-scorer. He keeps his passing very simple, making for a well-rounded offensive toolkit. Just a prospect who hasn’t looked out of place in the USHL, however Leonard does struggle to keep his emotions in check. He sometimes overaggressive with the stick, resulting in too many penalties. Leonard also isn’t a physical guy on the ice either. He does play center, but is more comfortable on the wing. The Predators prospect pool will be set up nicely for the next decade with this pick.
22Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado already has a deep team, so I think they go BPA. Its surprising to see Barlow outside the top 20, but I’m not sure why scouts label him as a sniper. If they look at his play style more closely, they would be sorely mistaken. Barlow is a really good 3-zone player, with simple defensive insincts. Yes, his 5 on 5 play defensively is inconsistent, but he’s really good on the penalty kill. Offensively, Barlow has an NHL-ready shot and often goes hard-nosed to the net. Skating-wise, its also NHL-ready. Overall a really good top 6 option for the Avalanche, they can be patient with Barlow’s development.
23Logo of the Minnesota Wild-I was torn on this selection, but Danielson just feels like a Wild in my eyes. He’s the best defensive player in the draft, reminds me of Anthony Cirelli in many ways. Danielson is able to control the gaps extremely well. He’s not afraid to go for a hit and be aggressive with the stick. Just the ability to break down plays by the opposition is outstanding. He also has the offense to succeed at the next level, but the question is, does he use it? The answer would be no. Danielson is selfish with the puck, but whenever the offense is there, Danielson has a booming shot and a great first-pass. A really good defensive option up front for the Wild, I think Danielson will fit into their system extremely well.
24Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningWith Chicago going for a high risk pick in Michkov, they should go BPA. That would be Quentin Musty. He’s the biggest late bloomer in the draft, slow start to the year but shown that he still has potential to become a star player with his stellar performance in the later portion of his season. He has great size and an advanced offensive toolkit, making for a really good power forward. Musty has a booming shot, smart playmaking, and not afraid to mix it up in the corners. Defensively, he uses his size really well, but he needs to work on speeding up his decisions. Musty is the player that will set Chicago’s forward core that already has Nazar and Reichel in it.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the New York RangersI was hoping for Lindstein to be available for the Blues. I do see this pick being traded, but if it isn’t, they reach for Caden Price. He is a really good offensive defenseman with amazing puck distribution. Also a really good skater and has a really good 200-ft game that is used often during the breakout. The offensive smarts that Price has is really good, but his defensive play needs massive improvement. The Blues defensive core is starting to age, so I think its time to set it up for the future. Price won’t push them over the edge, but it’s a step in the right direction.
26Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsEven with Carlsson, I don’t think the Blue Jackets center core is good enough for the future. I’m not exactly sold on Sillinger, especially after his performance this season compared to his rookie season. A 1-2 punch with Carlsson and Ritchie could push them over the edge. Ritchie is a solid three-zone player with a lot of Barrett Hayton qualities in him. Heavily offensive, but very sound defensively. Doesn’t take too many penalties as he uses his stick carefully and doesn’t go overaggressive with the body. The points don’t show how good he is offensively because there are games where he is selfish with the puck. In other words, Ritchie isn’t a good finisher near the net. But this is a really good defensive option up front and could set the Blue Jackets center depth nicely.
27Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas StarsThis may be high for some people, but Ziemmer feels like a Ranger in my eyes. Vladimir Tarasenko-type player, Ziemmer is a pure goal-scorer but has a very well-rounded offensive skillset. He’s a smart passer and can skate well. His flaw is pretty much the same as Heidt, inconsistent defensively. And the fact that he’s on a crappy system in Prince George doesn’t help his case either. Really good middle 6 option for the Rangers in the long run.
28Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsYet again, the Blues go for another reach. Brzustewicz is off-the-board, he’s an undersized two-way defender. Offensively, he’s inconsistent, but defensively is where he shines. Able to control the gaps well and not afraid to muck it up in the corners. A pairing of Price and Brzustewicz could be formidable in the near future.
29Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Vegas is a team in win-now mode, I think they go BPA. That player would be the undersized Jayden Perron. He is a guy that could fall solely based off size, but I see this as a Lane-Hutson situation. Ranked 23rd on my board, Perron is small but has zero holes in his game. This is a buzzworthy pick here, Perron is mostly described as a full-time playmaker who has a really good 200-ft game. Can become a really good middle 6 option for the Golden Knights.
30Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsA bit off-the-board, but Grier has addressed that he wants goalie prospects. He doesn’t like that the team has been running with average starters so I think the best prospect is clearly Michael Hrabal. He will take a couple of years to develop, but he’s a really tall goalie that reminds me of Pekka Rinne in a lot of ways. Good side-to-side movement, severely athletic, and can move the puck out of danger. He does shy away from being aggressive against the puck carrier, resulting in poor rebound control. His post coverage isn’t great either, he lets in way too many sharp-angle goals. A bubble prospect in the making, at best Hrabal will become an elite goalie at the NHL level.
31Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Carolina goes BPA, that would be Brindley. He’s a really good playmaking center that hasn’t looked out of place in the NCAA. Impressive shot, but Brindley is too small to become an NHL center. But the full-time shift to right wing should speed up his development. His acceleration also needs improvement, but he slightly makes up for it with his 4-way agility. It will take a few years, but Brindley will be worth it.
32Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsToronto has emphasized many times that they are in win-now mode. So what kind of options does a win-now mode team have. Either go BPA, or go buzzworthy with their picks and take the most NHL-ready guy. A lot of people will hate on this pick, but Toronto will pick the overaged Fimis. He was a guy that was projected to be a third-round pick last year, it was shocking to see him undrafted. Really no holes in his game apart from the size, but Toronto has shown that they really don’t care about size. Fimis is a year away from NHL minutes, but it’s a buzzworthy pick regardless, and Toronto has developed late rounders nicely (take Robertson for example).
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-I won’t go too detailed with the second-round picks. I think this is where Columbus goes for a defender. They already have Mateychuk and Jiricek in the pipeline, add Simashev to that and their d-core is set up nicely for the future.
34Logo of the San Jose Sharks-The Sharks have a ton of options. Its surprising to see Halttunen outside the first round, he has one of the best frames in the draft and he’s ideally the most physical guy in the class. Really heavy power forward, a good power play option for the Sharks.
35Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-The Blackhawks don’t have a lot of prospects that can do everything for them. Gauthier is a good example of that. A really smart two-way forward that surprisingly falls out of the first round. A steal for the Blackhawks, I’ve seen a lot of Nick Schmaltz comparisons.
36Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks drafted a forward with their last pick, but I feel like with Mintyukov, Luneau, and Zellweger, their defensive is set up nicely for the future. They take the most underwhelming player in the draft, which is Stramel. Really good power forward, he has the best frame in the draft.
37Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-This feels like a Kent Hughes-type pick. He has shown love for the Slovakian talent, the Canadiens get one here in Honzek. Very versatile forward, mostly described as a playmaker.
38Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
39Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
40Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
41Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the St. Louis Blues
42Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
43Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
44Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
45Logo of the Washington Capitals-
46Logo of the Florida Panthers-
47Logo of the Nashville Predators-
48Logo of the Calgary Flames-
49Logo of the New York Islanders-
50Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
51Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
52Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
53Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
54Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
55Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
56Logo of the Dallas Stars-
57Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
58Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Rangers
59Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
60Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
61Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
62Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
63Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
64Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
Mar. 19, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
Bedard23
Chicago literally never drafts Russian players so knowing us we take Smith instead
Mar. 19, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
nice work!
Mar. 20, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Like that Timo Meier comp for Carlsson

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll