Forums/Armchair-GM

pmorin21 Inspired Off-Season Trade 2023-24

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 20, 2023
Published: Mar. 20, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Kylington, Hanifin, Toffoli & Vladar would all become Expendable for Picks/Prospects and CGY'd Gain a Ton of Cap Space

Pelletier, Coronato, Zary, Farell and Schwindt are all Waivers Exempt, so would compete for NHL Playing Time
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
3$855,833
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,300,000
3$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,500,000
1$800,000
2$775,000
1$775,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. Farrell, Sean [Reserve List]
  3. Gurianov, Denis [RFA Rights]
  4. Kovacevic, Johnathan
  5. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$70,280,000$0$0$13,220,000

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000
RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$855,833$855,833 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$855,833$855,833 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
TrevorA
Could easily keep Toffoli instead of acquiring Gurianov, especially if he'll re-sign and stay on a Team Friendly contract, but I'm just thinking of the Future and Opening up Room on the PP
Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
Sean Farrell needs time to see his potential. So MTL will not trade him before that.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Wouldn't even do Anderson + 1st for Hub, let alone adding in farrell
habs_need_Scoring liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
Huberdeau with that contract has barely any value (its pretty easy to argue negatove value at this point)
Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: yanp007
Sean Farrell needs time to see his potential. So MTL will not trade him before that.

A proven French Veteran NHL SuperStar in Huberdeau vs. Farrell who has only proven to be successful with Coronato thus far, hmmmmm tough decision I guess

Quoting: BigBadBurke
Wouldn't even do Anderson + 1st for Hub, let alone adding in farrell

Huberdeau would fit better in MTL and Anderson would fit better in CGY AFAIC. Anderson could be Lucic 2.0 and only puts up 0.33-0.40PPG

Would prefer Kirby Dach, but given we have Coronato and Dach likely isn't available, you're going to have to send more than Anderson + a 1st. CGY might send something additional back, but not much. I would imagine MTL could stand to open up contract space (only 50 are allowed) to sign more of their Prospects too

Quoting: Black61
Huberdeau with that contract has barely any value (its pretty easy to argue negatove value at this point)

Sorry, but that's a pretty ridiculous and short sighted statement. Every Star Players Stats has gone down under Sutter, except Gaudreau, Tkachuk and now Toffoli. Completely unfair to Huberdeau who went from a Run & Gun Playing Style to a Much Closer Checking, Defence First, Playing Style, where there isn't the Room or Speed to do what he does best. He would flourish in MTL under St. Louis with their Young Prospects
Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
A proven French Veteran SuperStar in Huberdeau vs. Farrell who has only shown to be successful with Coronato thus far, hmmmmm tough decision I guess

Huberdeau would fit better in MTL and Anderson would fit better in CGY AFAIC. Anderson could be Lucic 2.0 and only puts up 0.33-0.40PPG

Would prefer Kirby Dach, but given we have Coronato and Dach likely isn't available, you're going to have to send more than Anderson + a 1st. CGY might send something additional back, but not much

Sorry, but that's a pretty ridiculous and short sighted statement. Every Star Players Stats has gone down under Sutter, except Gaudreau & Tkachuk. Completely unfair to Huberdeau who went from a Run & Gun Playing Style to a Much Closer Checking Defence First Style, where there isn't the Room or Speed to do what he does best. He would flourish in MTL under St. Louis with their Young Prospects

All huberdeau has proven is that Barkov is an extremely underrated center.
MTL wants no part of this contract and that move does nothing to help their future, their window isnt now with the amount of areas they need to address as a team. Just make no sense.
BigBadBurke liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: habs_need_Scoring
All huberdeau has proven is that Barkov is an extremely underrated center.
MTL wants no part of this contract and that move does nothing to help their future, their window isnt now with the amount of areas they need to address as a team. Just make no sense.

That statement shows you don't know Huberdeau at all. He primarily played with Bennett as his Centre and Duclair or Reinhart as his Wingers

I think MTL has the pieces to turn things around on a dime if they bring in the right Veteran Players for their Young Guys and can improve their Goaltending. You can't have the blind leading the blind IOW You can't have your Prospects leading the other Prospects. Not sure how Great Hoffman or Anderson are as Leaders, but other than Gallagher, Matheson, Savard & Jake Allen, you could stand to have another Positional Leader & Mentor, especially at LW and if Monahan & Tierny leave and Edmundson and Price's careers are over

Not arguing, just making my points and providing my reasoning. We might just have to Agree to Disagree though
Caufield liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
Do you honestly think Montreal, a team mid-rebuild, is going to trade for a guy who is starting an 8 year deal with a top-10 cap hit which will take him to his late 30s after a career-worst season? Forget the fact that Montreal doesn't want to trade Anderson (they'd prefer to keep a big, fast physical winger, warts and all), you want a 1st and one of Montreal's top prospects as well? Its just not a trade any team in Montreal's position would ever consider.

Even if we put aside Huberdeau's down year, players in his position are not worth much in trades. Teams just can't afford to take the full salary on.
BigBadBurke liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
Other than the French name, there is no reason for MTL to trade the future for a guy who will be in the middle of his downfall by the time we're competitive.
BigBadBurke liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
They aren't going to trade Huberdeau before he plays for an offensive minded coach. The guy is far too skilled a playmaker
Mar. 20, 2023 at 2:26 p.m.
A proven French Veteran NHL SuperStar in Huberdeau vs. Farrell who has only proven to be successful with Coronato thus far, hmmmmm tough decision I guess

Would prefer Kirby Dach, but given we have Coronato and Dach likely isn't available, you're going to have to send more than Anderson + a 1st. CGY might send something additional back, but not much. I would imagine MTL could stand to open up contract space (only 50 are allowed) to sign more of their Prospects too

Sorry, but that's a pretty ridiculous and short sighted statement. Every Star Players Stats has gone down under Sutter, except Gaudreau, Tkachuk and now Toffoli. Completely unfair to Huberdeau who went from a Run & Gun Playing Style to a Much Closer Checking, Defence First, Playing Style, where there isn't the Room or Speed to do what he does best. He would flourish in MTL under St. Louis with their Young Prospects

1- I took Farrell over Coronato every day of the year
2- MTL need Farrell over Huberdeau, MTL REBUILT!!
3- The trade proposal is a 1st pick, Farrell, Andersson, Gurianov et Kovacevic vs Huberdeau...
BigBadBurke liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: yanp007
1- I took Farrell over Coronato every day of the year
2- MTL need Farrell over Huberdeau, MTL REBUILT!!
3- The trade proposal is a 1st pick, Farrell, Andersson, Gurianov et Kovacevic vs Huberdeau...

Oui, Huberdeau = 1st + Anderson + Farell + Rights to Gurianov + Kovacevic

Succes dans le USHL et NCAA ne c'est pas la meme de la succes dans le NHL

Coronato > meilleur Farrell

I guarantee Coronato will have a more successful and valuable career that Farrell given his Right Shot, Size and Ability to Play Centre
Mar. 20, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Burnout
Do you honestly think Montreal, a team mid-rebuild, is going to trade for a guy who is starting an 8 year deal with a top-10 cap hit which will take him to his late 30s after a career-worst season? Forget the fact that Montreal doesn't want to trade Anderson (they'd prefer to keep a big, fast physical winger, warts and all), you want a 1st and one of Montreal's top prospects as well? Its just not a trade any team in Montreal's position would ever consider.

Even if we put aside Huberdeau's down year, players in his position are not worth much in trades. Teams just can't afford to take the full salary on.

I don't know, it's just an idea for discussion. Josh Anderson is way overrated imo, but that aside, Sutter and some Flames Fans love him.

Rebuilds don't always need to be long drawn out processes and as you mentioned yourself, they're already seemingly mid-way through it already. Like I said above, MTL could turn things on a dime by bringing in the right Veteran Leaders. I think a Veteran on each line is ideal and Rookies need to be lead and sheltered personally. I didn't look that closely but I don't see Cap being an issue with many over paid Veterans coming off the books, most young guys on cheap contracts and the salary cap projected to increase.

Quoting: Just_A_Guess
Other than the French name, there is no reason for MTL to trade the future for a guy who will be in the middle of his downfall by the time we're competitive.

I don't see a 1st + Anderson + Farrell as being MTL'd entire future and I think Huberdeau will prove to be an efficient player for years to come, just like Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron and so many others have. He doesn't play a hard physical game and doesn't have an injury history to suggest he will decline rapidly. The game he plays will keep him healthy and playing for years is my position

Stay Predominantly Young and a Bubble Team like BUF or bring in Quality Vets like NJD has and become the next contenders, it's completely up to you guys, I just do this for fun and to spur conversation. You could all be right that Huberdeau would never be on MTL's radar, but the again, you never know. We're all just a bunch of keyboard warriors here and not actually Team GM's, right!?
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
I don't know, it's just an idea for discussion. Josh Anderson is way overrated imo, but that aside, Sutter and some Flames Fans love him.

Rebuilds don't always need to be long drawn out processes and as you mentioned yourself, they're already seemingly mid-way through it already. Like I said above, MTL could turn things on a dime by bringing in the right Veteran Leaders. I think a Veteran on each line is ideal and Rookies need to be lead and sheltered personally. I didn't look that closely but I don't see Cap being an issue with many over paid Veterans coming off the books, most young guys on cheap contracts and the salary cap projected to increase.

I don't see a 1st + Anderson + Farrell as being MTL'd entire future and I think Huberdeau will prove to be an efficient player for years to come, just like Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron and so many others have. He doesn't play a hard physical game and doesn't have an injury history to suggest he will decline rapidly. The game he plays will keep him healthy and playing for years is my position

Stay Predominantly Young and a Bubble Team like BUF or bring in Quality Vets like NJD has and become the next contenders, it's completely up to you guys, I just do this for fun and to spur conversation. You could all be right that Huberdeau would never be on MTL's radar, but the again, you never know. We're all just a bunch of keyboard warriors here and not actually Team GM's, right!?

I'm a fan of Hubs but I just don't see MTL making the big splash, at least not this early. We need to figure out what we have in prospects (and '23 picks) before we go making deals like this. If he's the last missing piece in a couple years I would entertain the thought, as long as he's maintaining a high level of play. MTL is just about to come out from under a few overpaid contracts and I'm sure that every team in the NHL is going to want to see Hubs bounce back before they'd ever consider making a trade for him imo. Old form Hubs gets this return, if he's fallen off though he becomes a contractual hazard and you're probably "stuck" with him.
KingofRnR and ricochetii liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
I'm a fan of Hubs but I just don't see MTL making the big splash, at least not this early. We need to figure out what we have in prospects (and '23 picks) before we go making deals like this. If he's the last missing piece in a couple years I would entertain the thought, as long as he's maintaining a high level of play. MTL is just about to come out from under a few overpaid contracts and I'm sure that every team in the NHL is going to want to see Hubs bounce back before they'd ever consider making a trade for him imo. Old form Hubs gets this return, if he's fallen off though he becomes a contractual hazard and you're probably "stuck" with him.

Yup, I feel the exact same way about Josh Anderson, but at least his contract only goes to 26-27 vs. 30-31

Once Huby breaks out again and the Cap Increases significantly, his price will go way up and Anderson will be past his prime
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I wouldn't consider a Huberdeau trade unless Gallagher was the contract going back to offset cap. We are just working our way out of some bad money and heading in a better direction, and I don't want to go off the rails by getting into another poor value commitment.

I'm okay with a potentially bad contract if it's our only one or shorter term, but I'm not going anchor shopping until we drop some weight, and that includes Price's.
BigBadBurke liked this.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 9:46 p.m.

I mean, Huberdeau is way overrated too, but Montreal's giving up more and taking on way more term and salary and getting older. We also know that Anderson is in demand around the NHL, I'm not sure there's been rumours around Huberdeau this season. Huberdeau is also in a different contract class though, even if he didn't have that kind of term and wasn't struggling, a trade would still be almost impossible to pull off. Like, Karlsson may win the Norris and has far less term and San Jose probably can't make a trade for him work.

Montreal has veterans already, they've just had awful injury luck the last two years. Huberdeau is underperforming now and frankly has never been a veteran leader type. He's not who you bring in mid rebuild.

If there's a scenario where Montreal would consider bringing in Huberdeau (and I doubt there is one), there's no way it would be anything close to what you suggested. Montreal would need at least a little retention, would have to send Gallagher the other way and would not be giving up high picks or top prospects.
Mar. 20, 2023 at 11:57 p.m.
TrevorA
I mean, Huberdeau is way overrated too, but Montreal's giving up more and taking on way more term and salary and getting older. We also know that Anderson is in demand around the NHL, I'm not sure there's been rumours around Huberdeau this season. Huberdeau is also in a different contract class though, even if he didn't have that kind of term and wasn't struggling, a trade would still be almost impossible to pull off. Like, Karlsson may win the Norris and has far less term and San Jose probably can't make a trade for him work.

Montreal has veterans already, they've just had awful injury luck the last two years. Huberdeau is underperforming now and frankly has never been a veteran leader type. He's not who you bring in mid rebuild.

If there's a scenario where Montreal would consider bringing in Huberdeau (and I doubt there is one), there's no way it would be anything close to what you suggested. Montreal would need at least a little retention, would have to send Gallagher the other way and would not be giving up high picks or top prospects.

Yeah I don't agree with any of that. Huberdeau has been consistent all the way up till changing Teams, Cities, Coaches and Playing Styles and will play well in to his late 30's; Anderson and Karlsson haven't been and won't.

Simply look at Anderson's Play Style and Injury History and look at Karlsson's injury history as well. Huberdeau is by far better and more valuable than those 2. Had CGY not given Huberdeau $10.5mil/yr another Team would have. Having one down season as a result of a major change and struggle to adjust and completely dismissing everything he's done in his career up to this season is completely unacceptable to me. I'm okay with the age debate, but again, the style and way he plays is why they felt confident in giving him so much term and he will play and be effective for a long time, just like Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron and many others

We'll just keep Huberdeau and get him back to 1.00PPG+ and there's absolutely no way we'd ever retain anything on an entire 8 year contract. We're not regretting signing Huberdeau, it's the fit and play style under Sutter that seems to be the problem. We'll simply change Coaches before considering dumping Huberdeau
Mar. 21, 2023 at 12:19 a.m.
Yeah I don't agree with any of that. Huberdeau has been consistent all the way up till changing Teams, Cities, Coaches and Playing Styles and will play well in to his late 30's; Anderson and Karlsson haven't been and won't.

Simply look at Anderson's Play Style and Injury History and look at Karlsson's injury history as well. Huberdeau is by far better and more valuable than those 2. Had CGY not given Huberdeau $10.5mil/yr another Team would have. Having one down season as a result of a major change and struggle to adjust and completely dismissing everything he's done in his career up to this season is completely unacceptable to me. I'm okay with the age debate, but again, the style and way he plays is why they felt confident in giving him so much term and he will play and be effective for a long time, just like Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron and many others

We'll just keep Huberdeau and get him back to 1.00PPG+ and there's absolutely no way we'd ever retain anything on an entire 8 year contract. We're not regretting signing Huberdeau, it's the fit and play style under Sutter that seems to be the problem. We'll simply change Coaches before considering dumping Huberdeau

I mean, I'm not sure you watched Huberdeau in Florida if you think he's at all comparable to Ovechkin and Bergeron. Or that he doesn't have a notable injury history. Fans always think that the veterans on there team will be able to defy father time and they are almost always wrong. And Huberdeau isn't even the type of player that even fits the mold of guys who do.

I don't think you'll find many fans who care one way or another. Huberdeau isn't on the market and there's no indication that there would be a market for him if he was on it.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 12:51 a.m.
TrevorA
I mean, I'm not sure you watched Huberdeau in Florida if you think he's at all comparable to Ovechkin and Bergeron. Or that he doesn't have a notable injury history. Fans always think that the veterans on there team will be able to defy father time and they are almost always wrong. And Huberdeau isn't even the type of player that even fits the mold of guys who do.

I don't think you'll find many fans who care one way or another. Huberdeau isn't on the market and there's no indication that there would be a market for him if he was on it.

Yeah, that's fine, the only reason I proposed a Huberdeau Trade is because it was proposed by a MTL guy prior, so I wanted to see what pieces it might take and how it would fill our roster and open up cap space.

Wasn't really comparing Huby to Ovie or Berg, just that I believe he will have a long, successful, productive careers like them.

The guy has amazing vision and passing, I don't know that he'll be a 115 point guy again any time soon, but I have no doubt he'll definitely get back to 1.00PPG+ and that he won't dramatically fall off or that his contract will be as detrimental like so many seem to want to believe on this sight.

Apologies if I came off short or rude there, just frustrated watching my Flames get hammered, Sutter not pull Markstrom and having this convo elsewhere at the same time. Huberdeau is definitely under performing this season, but he's been strong and consistent his last 6 seasons and I hate to sum him and his value up over this one season only. He'll prove a lot of guys wrong yet
Mar. 21, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
Oui, Huberdeau = 1st + Anderson + Farell + Rights to Gurianov + Kovacevic

Succes dans le USHL et NCAA ne c'est pas la meme de la succes dans le NHL

Coronato > meilleur Farrell

In your mind thats a good deal, but in my mind, isn't!

I guarantee Coronato will have a more successful and valuable career that Farrell given his Right Shot, Size and Ability to Play Centre
Mar. 21, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Yeah, that's fine, the only reason I proposed a Huberdeau Trade is because it was proposed by a MTL guy prior, so I wanted to see what pieces it might take and how it would fill our roster and open up cap space.

Wasn't really comparing Huby to Ovie or Berg, just that I believe he will have a long, successful, productive careers like them.

The guy has amazing vision and passing, I don't know that he'll be a 115 point guy again any time soon, but I have no doubt he'll definitely get back to 1.00PPG+ and that he won't dramatically fall off or that his contract will be as detrimental like so many seem to want to believe on this sight.

Apologies if I came off short or rude there, just frustrated watching my Flames get hammered, Sutter not pull Markstrom and having this convo elsewhere at the same time. Huberdeau is definitely under performing this season, but he's been strong and consistent his last 6 seasons and I hate to sum him and his value up over this one season only. He'll prove a lot of guys wrong yet

Its all good. Montreal's GM literally just said in an interview that they're not going to be signing 29 year old guys to to be much better next season. They're horizon is in another two to three years.
KingofRnR liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Why are montreal fans acting like this is some massive package?

Oh wait. it's because they think anderson is actually good
KingofRnR liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll