Forums/Armchair-GM

why building around Quebec talent is good for HABS pt1

Created by: habitantlecolon
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 21, 2023
Published: Mar. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Bâtir avec la fierté des gens d'ici est réellement un plus dont on ne peut se passer. Avec Belzile et RHP nous avons été témoin de comment la dévotion aide à créer de la chimie dans une équipe. Pour faire renaître les glorieux, il faut la fierté des gens d'ici!

On va chercher Lafrenière, on repêche encore dans le top 10 en 2024 (Sacha Boisvert) et on signe Dubois en juillet 2024 pour 7 ans.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$848,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,875,000
1$3,362,500
3$3,362,500
3$1,575,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Fantilli, Adam
3$950,000
Perets, Yaniv
1$900,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Lafrenière, Alexis [RFA Rights]
NYR
  1. Farrell, Sean [Reserve List]
  2. Ylönen, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  3. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$85,500,000$71,765,833$1,170,000$4,195,000$13,734,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,362,500$3,362,500
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Fantilli, Adam
$950,000$950,000
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$3,362,500$3,362,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,575,000$1,575,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
Perets, Yaniv
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
$1,100,000$1,100,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 21, 2023 at 6:58 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
Because of reason's the Majority of us cant understand?
I gotta say i was skeptical given the title but now that im here i still dont get it lol

All jokes aside AL is the best Power Forward on the Market , no french motivation needed he is for once the best for the job just coincidentally French
Mar. 21, 2023 at 7:02 a.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Billy316
Because of reason's the Majority of us cant understand?
I gotta say i was skeptical given the title but now that im here i still dont get it lol

All jokes aside AL is the best Power Forward on the Market , no french motivation needed he is for once the best for the job just coincidentally French

chemistry by the proudness of born players. Look at how RHP play for the logo and the town
Mar. 21, 2023 at 7:37 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
Quoting: habitantlecolon
chemistry by the proudness of born players. Look at how RHP play for the logo and the town

Thats a pretty Prejudice way to look at things and ignores Kent Hughes doesnt operate like that he's invested largely in
NCAA players where he made his bread and butter as an agent.
Your suggestion is inferring RHP couldnt have made it anywhere else when really that describes maybe Richard and Belzile.
RHP gets the job for the Same Reason Paul Byron does because he's good enough to earn it regardless of his last name being French.
Its not just his Speed , His Checking and his Positive Drive he provides the team a Spark with.
Its largely due to his Leadership role on and off the ice.

He was the Best for the Job.
PLD is the best for the Job of Centers available
Debrincat the best winger availabe
Lafreniere the best Power Forward available

No concessions made just the best at what they do
Campabee liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 7:43 a.m.
Le patriote
Thats a pretty Prejudice way to look at things and ignores Kent Hughes doesnt operate like that he's invested largely in
NCAA players where he made his bread and butter as an agent.
Your suggestion is inferring RHP couldnt have made it anywhere else when really that describes maybe Richard and Belzile.
RHP gets the job for the Same Reason Paul Byron does because he's good enough to earn it regardless of his last name being French.
Its not just his Speed , His Checking and his Positive Drive he provides the team a Spark with.
Its largely due to his Leadership role on and off the ice.

He was the Best for the Job.
PLD is the best for the Job of Centers available
Debrincat the best winger availabe
Lafreniere the best Power Forward available

No concessions made just the best at what they do

I'm saying that playing for home team is a great boost for spirited player like RHP.
Billy316 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 7:51 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
I'm saying that playing for home team is a great boost for spirited player like RHP.

See this sounds a lot less Prejudice then how you first said it .

First sentence has a White Nationalist feel basing it on Pride or "Proudness"
Second sentence says we want great players who will come home and play even Greater because of it.

I was so confused at first by the original statement
Campabee liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:03 a.m.
Le patriote
See this sounds a lot less Prejudice then how you first said it .

First sentence has a White Nationalist feel basing it on Pride or "Proudness"
Second sentence says we want great players who will come home and play even Greater because of it.

I was so confused at first by the original statement

sorry english is not my first language!
Billy316 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:19 a.m.

Suzuki, Caufield, Gallagher, Price, Guhle, Harris, Anderson, Dach, Gurianov, Eddy and Xhekaj. None are French all play for the logo rather than themselves. It's not about finding and building around Quebecois players it's about finding players with the drive, pride, loyalty and heart. Guys that are proud to have been selected to play for the Habs (or any team) and leave it all on the ice for their teammates and the logo. RHP would play the same brand of hockey if he was a Leaf or Bruin, Belzile has taken a long road to get to the NHL so he knows that he needs to seize the opportunity given to him or risk flaming out as an AHLer for life. Drouin is the perfect example of why being French should have nothing to do with making the Canadiens, he has all the skill to be a top line forward but none of the drive. I say go for the best available players whether they are french Canadian or not, build the best possible team not the best possible French team!
Billy316 and Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:28 a.m.
GM
Drury likes American players. And didn't allow Laffy to speak in French during interviews (at least for awhile which I found to be very disrespectful).
Powerforwards takes longer to develop because they have to ger strong enough to match NHL players. I expect Laffy to be a Jamie Benn kind of a player, but with longer longevity. This has the potential to be a mutual win-win scenario.
habitantlecolon liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:50 a.m.
Subbanator
This is to much for Laf, I like the player, just to much value here.

He would be an interesting offer sheet player though, NYR have other young players to sign and if the Habs go into that 4 million -6.2 million range they'd only give up their 2024 first and third
Billy316 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:55 a.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Subbanator7667
This is to much for Laf, I like the player, just to much value here.

He would be an interesting offer sheet player though, NYR have other young players to sign and if the Habs go into that 4 million -6.2 million range they'd only give up their 2024 first and third

maybe add a rookie rhd from Rangers as a sweetener?
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:57 a.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Campabee
Suzuki, Caufield, Gallagher, Price, Guhle, Harris, Anderson, Dach, Gurianov, Eddy and Xhekaj. None are French all play for the logo rather than themselves. It's not about finding and building around Quebecois players it's about finding players with the drive, pride, loyalty and heart. Guys that are proud to have been selected to play for the Habs (or any team) and leave it all on the ice for their teammates and the logo. RHP would play the same brand of hockey if he was a Leaf or Bruin, Belzile has taken a long road to get to the NHL so he knows that he needs to seize the opportunity given to him or risk flaming out as an AHLer for life. Drouin is the perfect example of why being French should have nothing to do with making the Canadiens, he has all the skill to be a top line forward but none of the drive. I say go for the best available players whether they are french Canadian or not, build the best possible team not the best possible French team!

I do understand what you are saying but in due respect i disagree. Drouin with mental health issues is nowhere near to that and try to play for the logo but health issues have been troublesome too.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:57 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
Quoting: AG_sweden
Drury likes American players. And didn't allow Laffy to speak in French during interviews (at least for awhile which I found to be very disrespectful).
Powerforwards takes longer to develop because they have to ger strong enough to match NHL players. I expect Laffy to be a Jamie Benn kind of a player, but with longer longevity. This has the potential to be a mutual win-win scenario.

I suspect Laff will just be a better version of Anderson at best
Power Forwards take longer true , but not this long for top 3 Power Forwards in my experience .
Like with Kotkanemi they might become a better 200ft player by offensively you're looking at maybe 40 point average in his prime years.

Not that its a bad thing , his upside .
Its just not as high as everyone though it would be .
Coming to MTL its not the Goals i see going up its the Hits and the big plays just like Anderson the goals will be percieved as product of the former.
I'm ok with this because i'd rather pay for AL the PLD myself either way
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:20 a.m.
Le patriote
I suspect Laff will just be a better version of Anderson at best
Power Forwards take longer true , but not this long for top 3 Power Forwards in my experience .
Like with Kotkanemi they might become a better 200ft player by offensively you're looking at maybe 40 point average in his prime years.

Not that its a bad thing , his upside .
Its just not as high as everyone though it would be .
Coming to MTL its not the Goals i see going up its the Hits and the big plays just like Anderson the goals will be percieved as product of the former.
I'm ok with this because i'd rather pay for AL the PLD myself either way

Behind all those other in the top 6 and without Rangers going full thrown at development for young players i do think that Lafrenière with habs ca blossom in what we are looking for to replace Anderson.
Billy316 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:21 a.m.
The bias towards french speaking players doesn't hold any water, Drouin is a commensurate POS, guy shows no respect or loyalty for the team or it's logo.

Language doesn't dictate anything more than how the person can communicate, that's akin to saying all european/russian players will never take playing for their NHL team seriously because they aren't home.

The Canadiens should be identifying players who bring the necessary talent and compete level, not based on language identity politics.

Laf doesn't bring anything the habs don't already have, and as has been mentioned, his ceiling of talent is getting lower and lower and may just turn into a Josh Anderson, which isn't terrible, but not what is needed for this team. At this point Ylonen looks like he should be getting opportunities at prime minutes in the NHL, Farrell is still a prospect, but looking amazing in his last year of NCAA, and that 1st in a deep draft, makes better sense to keep it and try and get another RHD to stock up behind Mailloux.

PLD is a guy who should be targeted, because he's young, physical, can produce, and who the hell cares what language he can speak. (and you did in Pt. 2)
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:41 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
Quoting: OilersRule
The bias towards french speaking players doesn't hold any water, Drouin is a commensurate POS, guy shows no respect or loyalty for the team or it's logo.

Language doesn't dictate anything more than how the person can communicate, that's akin to saying all european/russian players will never take playing for their NHL team seriously because they aren't home.

The Canadiens should be identifying players who bring the necessary talent and compete level, not based on language identity politics.

Laf doesn't bring anything the habs don't already have, and as has been mentioned, his ceiling of talent is getting lower and lower and may just turn into a Josh Anderson, which isn't terrible, but not what is needed for this team. At this point Ylonen looks like he should be getting opportunities at prime minutes in the NHL, Farrell is still a prospect, but looking amazing in his last year of NCAA, and that 1st in a deep draft, makes better sense to keep it and try and get another RHD to stock up behind Mailloux.

PLD is a guy who should be targeted, because he's young, physical, can produce, and who the hell cares what language he can speak. (and you did in Pt. 2)

I think i'd take Debrincat > PLD
Same position right now points wise and its among PLD's best on pace for a career high.
Its among Debrincats career lows in contrast .

That said i'd much rather add no forwards at all and find a way to upgrade Matheson or Savard into Erik Karlsson without losing our shirts.
E.Karlsson could help take Ghule to another level and be here just long enough to help Hutson jump to the NHL full time
His cap hits high but what he'd do to change this system would be huge by comparison to a Matheson or Savard's contributions
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:13 a.m.
I do understand what you are saying but in due respect i disagree. Drouin with mental health issues is nowhere near to that and try to play for the logo but health issues have been troublesome too.

I don't believe that at all, Jo has never played with the heart required to succeed at the NHL level. He has always played the style of game that is more conducive to junior hockey, he thinks he can get by on skill alone and not have to put in the work. Every so often you see him actually put in the work and backcheck and when he does that he is a thousand times better, the problem is he almost never does it consistently. Jo was just one example though, there have been several times since 1993 where we have tried to focus on just building a roster around French Canadian players that have been epic fails.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 11:23 a.m.
I think i'd take Debrincat > PLD
Same position right now points wise and its among PLD's best on pace for a career high.
Its among Debrincats career lows in contrast .

That said i'd much rather add no forwards at all and find a way to upgrade Matheson or Savard into Erik Karlsson without losing our shirts.
E.Karlsson could help take Ghule to another level and be here just long enough to help Hutson jump to the NHL full time
His cap hits high but what he'd do to change this system would be huge by comparison to a Matheson or Savard's contributions

C vs. Wing, C is a short term need depending on whether Dach or Beck can handle a workload, and obviously depending on who they get in the draft.

I don't think EK65 is on the right end of the career to take that chance given his contract, unless SJ or some intermediary eats $4-ish mil.

I think they need institutional depth, PLD would be a possibility in 2024-2024 only, so, get someone in the system and see how the FA market looks.... I'd risk a mid-level contract on a Dumba or something.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll