Forums/Armchair-GM

If Habs Get PLD This Summer Read Description

Created by: koremoo
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 21, 2023
Published: Mar. 22, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The only reason the Habs should consider acquiring Dubois this summer is if he refuses to play anywhere else. In this scenario, the Habs would have levrage, and could probably acquire him for cheaper than expected. Although some teams have managed to salvage returns for similar players, like the Flames and Tkachuk, I don't think the Hughes and the Habs would consider a move that will cost them significantly less if they wait one more year. Obviously, the Jets won't want to move him for a smaller package, but if refuses to play for them, I think they will be forced to settle for a mediocre return.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
8$7,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$900,000
1$850,000
2$900,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$72,144,999$1,170,000$4,195,000$11,355,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: EvanderKanesLawyer
PLD averages 18 minutes TOI this season playing under PPG pace. Hard to imagine he gets 9.5 on the open market lmao. I'd say somewhere around the 7-7.5 mark. He's a 2C.

He doesn't want to play anywhere else. He wants to go home to Quebec. Montreal has leverage. They don't have to jump or bite on a trade when they can re-tool for another year and just wait for him to walk. Unless they REALLY want him for next year, they don't need to make any quick decisions.

The thing is that's your assumption based on the info available. Fair that you have this view but in no way does your view Trump someone else. The whole idea is we don't enough to make these assumptions and thus creates more annoyance for everyone to explain viewpoints. This Dubois Sega has been one big debate on an issue that hasn't even had all the crucial info displayed to make the best overall assessment
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:58 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Howie
But that's the thing if he goes to ufa I feel like he doesn't go to mtl as mtl would have had 2+ years to aquire him and without getting some type of mutual interest he may go elsewhere. Money is also important as if he goes ufa he's getting 9.5m on a 7 year deal most likely and mtl would need to compete with all teams where Dubois has all the leverage on where he goes and will do what benefits best rather than going home. If he's gets a 8m offer with mtl and 10m with Florida or some other team with better tax that's almost 2.5m more a season. Also would mtl realistically go for him in a bidding war and jeopardize future contracts by overpaying Dubois to come home. That is my view again so that's why we need to wait so we don't have 1000+ different perspectives all Slightly different but vastly polar opposites.

I get what you're saying, but the mention about having no mutal interest for two years is way off. There is no current mututal interest between him and MTL because the mutual interest needs to come from Chev and the Jets. MTL can't acquire him if they don't want to trade him out and hope he signs long term. I'm sure that if Dubois was UFA this summer there would be significant talks between his agent and Hugues.

As far as salary goes, that's why I hope MTL and WIN can come to an agreement this summer. MTL could get him between 7.5 to 8/yr for 7 to 8 years, instead of waiting and then having his value go up to 10+ after next year. And yes, if he goes UFA there are potentially more risk of him signing elswehere than MTL given that teams in certain regions have way less taxes.

PLD averages 18 minutes TOI this season playing under PPG pace. Hard to imagine he gets 9.5 on the open market lmao. I'd say somewhere around the 7-7.5 mark. He's a 2C.

He doesn't want to play anywhere else. He wants to go home to Quebec. Montreal has leverage. They don't have to jump or bite on a trade when they can re-tool for another year and just wait for him to walk. Unless they REALLY want him for next year, they don't need to make any quick decisions.

I'm on the fence about "waiting it out". Never know what may be around the corner like another team sudenly putting up more cash. While he's saying he wants to come home, can we really trust players 100% on these things. And if we wait, could be a higher cap hit since players will ask for more if the cap goes up.

This Dubois situation is complicated as hell.. LOL!
Ennis and Howie liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 10:01 a.m.
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
I get what you're saying, but the mention about having no mutal interest for two years is way off. There is no current mututal interest between him and MTL because the mutual interest needs to come from Chev and the Jets. MTL can't acquire him if they don't want to trade him out and hope he signs long term. I'm sure that if Dubois was UFA this summer there would be significant talks between his agent and Hugues.

As far as salary goes, that's why I hope MTL and WIN can come to an agreement this summer. MTL could get him between 7.5 to 8/yr for 7 to 8 years, instead of waiting and then having his value go up to 10+ after next year. And yes, if he goes UFA there are potentially more risk of him signing elswehere than MTL given that teams in certain regions have way less taxes.

I'm on the fence about "waiting it out". Never know what may be around the corner like another team sudenly putting up more cash. While he's saying he wants to come home, can we really trust players 100% on these things. And if we wait, could be a higher cap hit since players will ask for more if the cap goes up.

This Dubois situation is complicated as hell.. LOL!

Fr this whole thing has so many aspects that can change so many variables to what makes up Dubois mind. All I can say is I hope for the best return and hope as the amount of information could lead to so many outcomes.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Yes exactly. This whole situation is like an iceberg. We see the tip with all the taking and running with what is there but ultimately isn't enough to know the whole iceberg. Dubois could have said what teams he'd go to or it may be just mtl. Those are the facts of the iceberg that's under the water that are crucial in determining everything. The whole point of these agms is a prediction on what happens but since not enough info is know we're all guessing the size of the iceberg collectively. Someone may have the exact deal on here already we just can't say for certain an expected return when we don't know these parameters.

Agreed. What I hate about these AGM are htose that come in and have nothing good to say and troll choices done by someone just "throwing it out there" instead of replying with some form or content at a higher level than a 5 year old. We can disagree on moves, but do it with some respect and with more than a "X team says no!" or "X team hangs up on you!"..

.. I hate those trolls. I just put 'em on the "Ignore list". Too bad we can't completely just block them out of our AGMs.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Fr this whole thing has so many aspects that can change so many variables to what makes up Dubois mind. All I can say is I hope for the best return and hope as the amount of information could lead to so many outcomes.

Agreed
Mar. 22, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
Except I don't see why they would want Anderson.

That would be the one sure thing in the entire PLD situation. As Anderson isn't waiving for Winnipeg and he does absolutely nothing for the Jets, so the Jets wouldn't consider him.

It's a similar situation with Dvorak. He's injured until the start of next season, so wouldn't be considered as a piece by the Jets before he comes back and proves he can play and by that time he will have a M-NTC, which he won't waive for Winnipeg.

Basically the two pieces Montreal fans want to dump most, can't be moved to Winnipeg.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
jimmyjets
Habs should just offer sheet sheet him for a year, let WPG match it, then sign Dubois next season when he's a UFA and the Habs rookies are more seasoned and ready to get competitive.

I honestly can't imagine PLD stays in Winnipeg after next year. He very clearly wants to play in Montreal

Offersheet isn’t a realistic scenario because PLD’s qualifying offer is $6m and if he elected arbitration he would get $7m+. Habs would need to offersheet at a similar level which would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and the Habs can’t make that offer because they traded their 2nd.

I don’t know where the 1st and 3rd os that gets parroted on here came from, but the reality is it’s based on an assumption that PLD would sign an offersheet for less than he would get in arbitration to get to the Habs 1 year sooner which is a stretch. The only OS Habs can make is 4 - 1sts.
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:19 a.m.
Edited Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
Habs should just offer sheet sheet him for a year, let WPG match it, then sign Dubois next season when he's a UFA and the Habs rookies are more seasoned and ready to get competitive.

I honestly can't imagine PLD stays in Winnipeg after next year. He very clearly wants to play in Montreal

And, yet two Jets fans think they can get that same 2024 1st plus Dach plus Beck plus plus.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:20 a.m.
Edited Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
Quoting: jimmyjets
Offersheet isn’t a realistic scenario because PLD’s qualifying offer is $6m and if he elected arbitration he would get $7m+. Habs would need to offersheet at a similar level which would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and the Habs can’t make that offer because they traded their 2nd.

I don’t know where the 1st and 3rd os that gets parroted on here came from, but the reality is it’s based on an assumption that PLD would sign an offersheet for less than he would get in arbitration to get to the Habs 1 year sooner which is a stretch. The only OS Habs can make is 4 - 1sts.

The offersheet strategy proposed by some here isn't realistic at all. It's just another illogical attempt by uniformed posters that don't understand how offersheets work grasping at straws to rationalize poor lowball offers.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
And, yet two Jets fans think they can get that same 2024 1st plus Dach plus Beck plus plus.

yeah, one of them is right above this comment lmao.

he gets his undies in a twist when you don't offer your entire draft capitol and your best prospects for PLD
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great

It would be funny that PLD would just give up $3-$4M instead of just signing his $6m qualifying offer. Jets match then he plays for the Jets for a bunch less than if he took another path. It’s delusional thinking. No sane person would worry about such a scenario as the Jets would just match and be forced to keep PLD as their own rental.
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
The offersheet strategy proposed by some here isn't realistic at all. It's just another illogical attempt by uniformed posters that don't understand how offersheets work grasping at straws to rationalize poor lowball offers.

Habs can replace that second if they really need to.

It's also not out of the realm of realism for Dubois to take a bit of a paycut to come home.

Either way, he'll most likely stay with the Jets, and when they can't seem to escape perpetual mediocrity, he'll go home to play in Quebec close to family.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:34 a.m.
yeah, one of them is right above this comment lmao.

he gets his undies in a twist when you don't offer your entire draft capitol and your best prospects for PLD

I wouldn’t trade Dach for pld even without the trade demand. Dach contract is one of the best in the league and this is still a cap league. His value on potential alone trumps PLD who can’t decide when he’s ever happy to stay on a team longer than a few years and this has been his history since Junior yet the same fans will say Mailloux has ‘character issues’ because he sent some photos when he was a dumb kid. Pld hasn’t changed at all yet they give him the benefit of the doubt. It’s simple lack of perspective from them.
Ennis liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.

Not to mention that there is a reason OS's tend to not work out, even when you win the bid. I would bet my life savings Hughes aint going to be OS'ing PLD. Either he makes a trade offer he feels is sufficient or waits till free agency and takes a stab at signing him.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
Habs1289
It’s crazy how many people bash Anderson on this site he’s a good power forward who can score 25+ goals for a very reasonable 5.5 M .. That being said the Jets will just keep dubz for next year and deal him at the deadline to the highest bidder they don’t need to settle on a trade in the offseason
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
Quoting: habs1289
It’s crazy how many people bash Anderson on this site he’s a good power forward who can score 25+ goals for a very reasonable 5.5 M .. That being said the Jets will just keep dubz for next year and deal him at the deadline to the highest bidder they don’t need to settle on a trade in the offseason

Because they compare him to players like Connor Sheary. Ignoring everything he does well but focus on his assist totals. One guy just at did that. Yup, exact same effect in the game as Connor the bully Sheary.

Better yet another one compared him to Jack Campbell last night. Man, only if Josh could stop more pucks, eh?! Both need help with their post to post coverage after the Anderson slide last night to finish the game!

Trolls and fools.

I agree. They can easily get a decent package from Carolina but they don’t see the correlation how Montreal isn’t in the same boat as Carolina to give up those same assets. These two Jets fans just think about the return and not the team that is making the deal.it’s tunnel vision to the extreme.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
Go Habs Go
It would be funny that PLD would just give up $3-$4M instead of just signing his $6m qualifying offer. Jets match then he plays for the Jets for a bunch less than if he took another path. It’s delusional thinking. No sane person would worry about such a scenario as the Jets would just match and be forced to keep PLD as their own rental.

Montreal shouldn't offer sheet him, but if they did Winnipeg should at least consider not matching. That's practically the only way of getting an unprotected 1st from a basement team.
A gamble for sure, but not a bad one. Any other 1st will likely be projected as mid to late with protection.
Might get more quantity, but that could very well be the best quality return piece. Lose one year of Dubois and get 10 years or so from a new top 10 draftee.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Except I don't see why they would want Anderson.

Because they need a winger with contract in order to not lose him after one season. No player wants to go there, might has well take those who have no choice, AKA Dubois when they traded for him. At least they had him for a couple of years until RFA or next UFA. Anderson is tied for a few years, and is a freight train coming down the wing. Will help the team.

Easy ...
Mar. 22, 2023 at 2:31 p.m.
Because they need a winger with contract in order to not lose him after one season. No player wants to go there, might has well take those who have no choice, AKA Dubois when they traded for him. At least they had him for a couple of years until RFA or next UFA. Anderson is tied for a few years, and is a freight train coming down the wing. Will help the team.

Easy ...

But he's not a good option for Winnipeg. They have better younger options coming up.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
Yall gotta Chill
But he's not a good option for Winnipeg. They have better younger options coming up.

That's your opinion. I'm not glad to trade Anderson out, he's a hell of a player that could cost more, but with the situation in MTL, they need to move cap, and if they have to give up a good player to get Dubois, then it's the price to pay.

WIN need a good winger, proven NHLer that will cost under 7M$/yr for a couple of years. He fills in that need. May not be a Dubois, but a Dubois will cost them between 7.5 to 9M$.. That First pick is the clincher.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.

Easy ...

He wouldn't be in the top 6 and is quite expensive for a bottom sixer. Not saying he's not worth it just not a fit with the jets. Also he has trade protection so if like many m-ntc winnipeg is on that list. He can want to come here but just too many factors where he isn't a fit. Like if he's so valuable trade him elsewhere for assets and include it in the deal.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.
That's your opinion. I'm not glad to trade Anderson out, he's a hell of a player that could cost more, but with the situation in MTL, they need to move cap, and if they have to give up a good player to get Dubois, then it's the price to pay.

WIN need a good winger, proven NHLer that will cost under 7M$/yr for a couple of years. He fills in that need. May not be a Dubois, but a Dubois will cost them between 7.5 to 9M$.. That First pick is the clincher.

If they need cap coming back just put Hoffman in, at least he's a free agent after next season. He adds as much value to Winnipeg as Anderson, nothing.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
While he has no leverage as to where the team sends him, he still has more leverage than you think. When a player clearly indicate not wanting to sign long term with any team other than team X, the player suddenly has put his current GM in a complex situation where all other teams have considerably less interest in the player, and team X, while not having all say in the matter will be able to see if a transaction can be made in order to satisfy both teams without either getting to overpay or underpay.

This also shows that WIN could potentially find some return for the player instead of just losing him in a year (which for some reason some WIN fans have no clue that this would be the worse possible thing to happen to their team). And if for some reason people think they can get more by waiting for TDL to come by, well.. That will still depend on what Dubois' speech whill be down the line. If he's still out there saying no to long term or even extension with any team he's dealt to, then Chev just got a low return for a prime player. No team will offer a 1st overall plus assets for someone who's not wanting to extend with them. Or think about the possibility of injury half way down the season.. You suddenly lose all capacity to trade him out for even a decent return.

Anderson + 1st pick 2023 (FLA) is considerable, given Anderson's contribution in terms of size and play and that he's under contract for a few more years which gives Chev some breathing room given that most impactfull players are not looking to sign in WIN.

Not saying this is the best for WIN, but it is something that they should consider if this comes their way.. Chev should ensure that something comes their way for him. A 1st overall in 2023 (FLA) isn't something to put aside and say no to, include a good power forward with contract left.. You may have gotten something more interesting for your team.

Dubois never said that he wanted to play for Montreal. He has cleared that up multiple times. His agent said that growing up he was a habs fan. The Montreal media blew that up and he has answered the question many times. He also said that he is not opposed to signing long term here as his family resides here. He just doesn't want to make any big decision until his contract is up.

Jets hold all of the power. Look what O'Reilly fetched this year as a rental. He is almost certain to not be back next year.

I don't know what his true value is, but the Jets received a 1st, 2nd, and prospect for Andrew Copp as a rental. The guy who is at best a 2nd/3rd line center. Dubois is significantly better than him and will get a bigger return.
Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:08 p.m.
Edited Mar. 22, 2023 at 9:13 p.m.
Quoting: Cory

I don't know what his true value is, but the Jets received a 1st, 2nd, and prospect for Andrew Copp as a rental. The guy who is at best a 2nd/3rd line center. Dubois is significantly better than him and will get a bigger return.

That Copp 1st had conditions on it. Had the Rangers not made the conference finals it would have been a 2nd so youre being a little bad faith here. It only became a 1st because once you hit the conference finals the highest pick in the 1st rnd is 29th OA. There is a massive difference between a 1st round pick in the lottery and a pick at 29 OA. That is the reason Chychrun got traded to the Sens instead of the KIngs. Those few draft spots mean something.

PLD has Two goals and two assists in past 14 games. Lets not go overboard claiming hes a top tier difference maker. A Top 10 pick would be a dream for Chevy not a 2nd with conditions that can go as high as 29th.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll