Forums/Armchair-GM

Dubois value based on Friedman news

Created by: Howie
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 27, 2023
Published: Mar. 27, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Makes sense for both sides as both would want a better deal for their side but go in the middle and get what each team wants.
Trades
WPG
  1. Dvorak, Christian
  2. Kidney, Riley
  3. Mailloux, Logan
  4. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Jets get a young c that was a recent 2nd round pick and could hope to see some upside, a rhd that has issues regarding nhl playability but fits a need of a rhd prospect. 2023 first is around 15-18 ovr and either a second or Dvorak depending on what Kh would rather package.
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
  2. Vesalainen, Kristian [Reserve List]
Additional Details:
Mtl gets Dubois at a price that isn't the lowest but still great value for what he would be worth without anything impacting his value. Also get vesalainen who is a reclamation project that is a big body and is a similar playstyle to gurianov.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
28$82,500,000$85,439,525$0$2,050,000-$2,939,525
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$859,167$859,167
C
RFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$897,500$897,500
RD
RFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
What is the Friedman news
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
What is the Friedman news

32 thoughts the podcast basically he mentions how the core of the jets is approaching a point of an era where big decisions are made. Mentions that Dubois is like 95% going to Montreal and they have had talks about mtl acquiring him before he hits ufa but ultimately not his true value. This would be a deal that can work as KH said he is willing to trade the Florida 2023 first for established players that fit the window which Dubois does.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
With Mailloux being ineligible to play in the NHL, I'd imagine the Jets have right around less than no interest in him. Especially if they are also taking the injured and unneeded Dvorak.

The Jets can't afford to trade Dubois and having two pieces with little to no value coming back.

They'd be better off keeping him for the year and flipping him at the TDL for the standard 1st and good prospect return. They'd be getting better overall value doing that.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
With Mailloux being ineligible to play in the NHL, I'd imagine the Jets have right around less than no interest in him. Especially if they are also taking the injured and unneeded Dvorak.

The Jets can't afford to trade Dubois and having two pieces with little to no value coming back.

They'd be better off keeping him for the year and flipping him at the TDL for the standard 1st and good prospect return. They'd be getting better overall value doing that.

Yeah but is that first and prospect even better than a 2023 first that is in the teens and kidney who is an okay b- prospect. The fact is we can hold him but what help does that do to us as of we are competitive we aren't going to trade him while in a playoff spot. The longer we hold him the greater chance circumstances could affect his value (injury, team performance, individual performance, cap flexibility, etc) there's many factors that lead me to saying this deal would be better than a late 2024 pick and prospect. Mailloux may have those concerns but wouldn't you rather take a chance on a guy that fits an organizational need than a forward like ylonen who would be subject to a bottom six role and lose his value? I personally would take Mailloux and if it works out the upside is higher but the guarantee is lower.
LIRIK liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Take out Veselainen. Habs already have their quota of projects.
Take out Mailloux. The owner himself committed the organization to overseeing his maturation and development. Essentially untradable without going back on his word.

You can piddle over Montreal adding a lower rated prospect or mid-round pick, but with those two changes you're looking at the "meat" of the deal.
Kidney can be swapped for practically any Non-Roster prospect, so there's some wiggle room there as well.

There's still going to be a divide in opinions on value. My main point is that Veselainen and Mailloux aren't likely components.
SainteFlanelle24 liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Take out Veselainen. Habs already have their quota of projects.
Take out Mailloux. The owner himself committed the organization to overseeing his maturation and development. Essentially untradable without going back on his word.

You can piddle over Montreal adding a lower rated prospect or mid-round pick, but with those two changes you're looking at the "meat" of the deal.
Kidney can be swapped for practically any Non-Roster prospect, so there's some wiggle room there as well.

There's still going to be a divide in opinions on value. My main point is that Veselainen and Mailloux aren't likely components.

I'd personally take on the risk of Mailloux just for the fact he fits the organizational needs. For comparison say ylonen vs Mailloux in the deal may seem like a close one to some but based on need ylonen would most likely be a bottom 6 and lose value over time. Mailloux may have the concerns but if he is able to play he will have more of a chance of being an impactful regular (say 2nd pair rhd). Sure there is more guarantee with ylonen Mailloux give more upside and fitting of needs.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: Howie
Yeah but is that first and prospect even better than a 2023 first that is in the teens and kidney who is an okay b- prospect. The fact is we can hold him but what help does that do to us as of we are competitive we aren't going to trade him while in a playoff spot. The longer we hold him the greater chance circumstances could affect his value (injury, team performance, individual performance, cap flexibility, etc) there's many factors that lead me to saying this deal would be better than a late 2024 pick and prospect. Mailloux may have those concerns but wouldn't you rather take a chance on a guy that fits an organizational need than a forward like ylonen who would be subject to a bottom six role and lose his value? I personally would take Mailloux and if it works out the upside is higher but the guarantee is lower.

Mailloux would be okay if he was eligible to play. You already have the Jets taking Dvorak who is nothing more than a warm body to the Jets. They simply can't afford to take risk giving up a valuable trade chip and having a major part of the return being a player that may never be eligible to play a game in the NHL.

If the remainder of the return justified taking that chance I could see it, but I think that's just get you rushed l risky for risk adverse Chevy to take a chance on.

Although if the Jets change GM beforehand, then maybe you've a shot.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:24 p.m.

You realize the 1st would probably be a late one, and the quality of the prospect would depend on PLD extending with his new team or not?

Trust me, take the mid 1st, the middle 6 C and the two B prospects. Kidney is as good a prospect as Roy, and he's a center. Mailloux have 25 goals this season.

Mailloux will play in the NHL, all he did is take a picture of a girl, show it physically to his friend without sending it to anyone... A lot of NHLers wouldn't be playing if that's all it took to ruin a career.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: LIRIK
You realize the 1st would probably be a late one, and the quality of the prospect would depend on PLD extending with his new team or not?

Trust me, take the mid 1st, the middle 6 C and the two B prospects. Kidney is as good a prospect as Roy, and he's a center. Mailloux have 25 goals this season.

Mailloux will play in the NHL, all he did is take a picture of a girl, show it physically to his friend without sending it to anyone... A lot of NHLers wouldn't be playing if that's all it took to ruin a career.

"All he did"

Jesus
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
Mailloux would be okay if he was eligible to play. You already have the Jets taking Dvorak who is nothing more than a warm body to the Jets. They simply can't afford to take risk giving up a valuable trade chip and having a major part of the return being a player that may never be eligible to play a game in the NHL.

If the remainder of the return justified taking that chance I could see it, but I think that's just get you rushed l risky for risk adverse Chevy to take a chance on.

Although if the Jets change GM beforehand, then maybe you've a shot.

It's a cap world at the end of the day. When a team is taking on a large cap hit in most cases cap comes back. The issue lies within what is possible cap wise that makes sense as there are options just not many. Dvorak at least would replace Dubois as a center and be a future trade chip. Would you rather Hoffman playing 3rd line? Fact is he may provide little value but you have to take it and realize that "hey this guy is injured, 3 years of term, 4.45m cap hit BUT we can look at it from multiple perspectives to see that he can bring more than expected and gives us an nhl capable c back". Like who do you have playing center when Dubois leaves? Perfetti could be a center but has no experience at it and would be undersized as one. Point is Dvorak can provide more than you're giving credit for and could return a nice return based on his performance
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.

Would this deal work tho? I feel like it's pretty damn even and isn't exactly what either team would ideally want but they both meet in the middle and get assets they want.
LIRIK liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I'd personally take on the risk of Mailloux just for the fact he fits the organizational needs. For comparison say ylonen vs Mailloux in the deal may seem like a close one to some but based on need ylonen would most likely be a bottom 6 and lose value over time. Mailloux may have the concerns but if he is able to play he will have more of a chance of being an impactful regular (say 2nd pair rhd). Sure there is more guarantee with ylonen Mailloux give more upside and fitting of needs.

Nothing against wanting him, or his value, or Montreal's need for RHD. The simple fact is that Molson promised the public and the fans that the organization would work with Mailloux. Handing him off to another team in any fashion is backing out of a commitment and not a good look. We are stuck with him until he either chooses to leave or we choose not to sign him (which is admitting failure, but not as bad as passing the buck).
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:34 p.m.

-The Canadiens aren't particularly concerned about Mailloux's availability, they seem to expect that he will be cleared to play. Even if it was another GM, I doubt that they'd be interested in moving him (on top of the FLA 1st) when they've had to go through the drama of drafting and then signing him.

-Take out Vesalainen, Montreal doesn't have a lot of room to give him an audition and they've got lots of young guys that have earned playing time more than Vesalainen. Gurianov was a reclamation project to get something for a player acquired to be a rental, Vesalainen would be waiver fodder or just stay in Finland.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.

Well, I'm not Chevy, so it doesn't matter if I take the deal. wink

Seriously though, Chevy is pretty risk adverse, so I don't see him risking a huge trade piece and taking back a player that may never be eligible to play. He'd already be selling Dubois at a significant discount, I don't think he's going to do that AND take back a piece that may never play.

I know you *think* he'll be allowed to play, but Berman can be petty, especially to a player that isn't in the league yet. Take a look at Formenton in Ottawa. He's played in the league, screwed up and no one is rolling out the red carpet to let him back in.

Now if Chevy knows Mailloux is going to be eligible that could change things, but if he doesn't I would hope that Chevy doesn't take that gamble.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:39 p.m.
Maple Laughs Hater
32 thoughts the podcast basically he mentions how the core of the jets is approaching a point of an era where big decisions are made. Mentions that Dubois is like 95% going to Montreal and they have had talks about mtl acquiring him before he hits ufa but ultimately not his true value. This would be a deal that can work as KH said he is willing to trade the Florida 2023 first for established players that fit the window which Dubois does.

When has Kent Hughes come out and said that about the 2023 Florida 1st-round pick?

I am not trying to discredit you of anything at all.

I believe it is the right move even though the draft is pretty stacked, getting an established player that fits in the window would be great.

The last I heard about KH and 1st round picks was we wanted to have 3 by draft night but that was before the trade deadline and before the bell centre became a hospital.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
Nothing against wanting him, or his value, or Montreal's need for RHD. The simple fact is that Molson promised the public and the fans that the organization would work with Mailloux. Handing him off to another team in any fashion is backing out of a commitment and not a good look. We are stuck with him until he either chooses to leave or we choose not to sign him (which is admitting failure, but not as bad as passing the buck).

When you're getting a player for Dubois are you really going to say that Mailloux is the breaking point on a deal. This is essentially saying he's untouchable when that is not the case as if it was Dubois for him 1 for 1 mtl slams accept. So there is a point to his value but to get the guy that helps mtl future now and into the future I feel like anyone not in the nhl should be atleast open to depending on the deal. This would not be admitting failure to work with him but doing best by him and the team by giving him to a team that he may have a chance to succeed. The fact that he has some what of value to the jets in a trade should be encouraging in terms of teams seeing what he has done to be better. Not saying that he's 100% in any deal as there is risks so it depends on how the deal works out but to say he can't be included would result in some other asset included say (kapenen). If Mailloux isn't cleared you lost kapenen for nothing as you could pass off the risk as the jets may value him. Thus keep the other asset it would take and get him off the team so they don't have to worry if he's cleared or not.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:41 p.m.

that is also a good point. If they made a commitment like that, I can't see them backing out.

I don't even know why people are throwing him in deals. Let the guy work on his personal life first and get that organized before throwing him around.
ricochetii liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
That is potentially a major nail in the coffin on the subject. I don't really see why Habs would entertain trading high end assets for him now when they have a very realistic chance at him in free agency. Even if it meant the Habs had to pay him more money as a result, I'd be ok with that. Those assets are worth more than 1-2M in extra cap space.

Also I know everyone uses Fiala as an example but frankly every team had a shot at Fiala. No one has the same confidence with PLD now except MTL. It obviously doesn't mean Habs can lowball for peanuts but it sure doesn't mean WPG will get top dollar either. Even at the TDL. Horvat got what he got because the team acquiring him had a chance to resign him. Once again, not the case here for PLD.

At this point, if I were Hughes I'd just be patient and sign him in free agency. Let WPG get their value for him and everyone is happy. The Habs could be setup for the next decade if they play this right. My gut says Hughes will try to justify making this move now to reinvigorate the fan base after what has been an exceptionally bad few years. Not the smartest but I totally get it.

If Im Chevy, I trade him this offseason NO MATTER WHAT. Not the TDL. Whoever gets him will have PLD for a full year and playoffs. That has to be worth more than at the TDL in my opinion. If they move him at the TDL, they'll likely have to retain 50% on his 7M plus contract and potentially have to find a 3rd party to retain more to make it work. We saw how much the contenders were strapped for cap space this past TDL. It will only make things harder IMHO.
Subbanator7667 liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: mattice
When has Kent Hughes come out and said that about the 2023 Florida 1st-round pick?

I am not trying to discredit you of anything at all.

I believe it is the right move even though the draft is pretty stacked, getting an established player that fits in the window would be great.

The last I heard about KH and 1st round picks was we wanted to have 3 by draft night but that was before the trade deadline and before the bell centre became a hospital.

He had a press conference on what his plans are and basically said if a dach type situation comes they would be ready to accelerate it with a player that fits the timeline and builds towards a competitive team (ie dubois).

Regarding the 3 firsts seems like that was more pre trade deadline where they had assets that they hoped they would get a return that could maybe get them there (Edmundson, drouin, Dvorak, Monahan).

They are in a interesting part where they want to continue the rebuild but build up with established players that fit the timeline. That's why I feel like a Dubois deal is gonna be a 2023 Florida first as they get a established player and still have a top 10 pick and an early second which help the rebuild.
LIRIK liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
That is potentially a major nail in the coffin on the subject. I don't really see why Habs would entertain trading high end assets for him now when they have a very realistic chance at him in free agency. Even if it meant the Habs had to pay him more money as a result, I'd be ok with that. Those assets are worth more than 1-2M in extra cap space.

Also I know everyone uses Fiala as an example but frankly every team had a shot at Fiala. No one has the same confidence with PLD now except MTL. It obviously doesn't mean Habs can lowball for peanuts but it sure doesn't mean WPG will get top dollar either. Even at the TDL. Horvat got what he got because the team acquiring him had a chance to resign him. Once again, not the case here for PLD.

At this point, if I were Hughes I'd just be patient and sign him in free agency. Let WPG get their value for him and everyone is happy. The Habs could be setup for the next decade if they play this right. My gut says Hughes will try to justify making this move now to reinvigorate the fan base after what has been an exceptionally bad few years. Not the smartest but I totally get it.

If Im Chevy, I trade him this offseason NO MATTER WHAT. Not the TDL. Whoever gets him will have PLD for a full year and playoffs. That has to be worth more than at the TDL in my opinion. If they move him at the TDL, they'll likely have to retain 50% on his 7M plus contract and potentially have to find a 3rd party to retain more to make it work. We saw how much the contenders were strapped for cap space this past TDL. It will only make things harder IMHO.

Probably but the whole idea is KH wants to improve his team via a dach like deal. All they have to do to get his early and ensure they don't have to shell out massive amount as a ufa is beat the rental offer and that's it. This could be slightly or not but ensuring you get him should be top priority when money and term can be more affordable than ufa with a 9.5m on 7year vs now 8m on 7 years.

The 2023 first will be the centerpiece of the deal with some other assets but to say waiting for ufa just doesn't really make sense when the possibility he goes to another team with an extension in place. You get to pay a cheap price and know he will sign long term. To risk all the factors him going to mtl for what will likely be maybe a 2/3rd more than a rental offer which won't be super expensive for mtl when the keep their 2023 first and their young nhl talent.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
Go Habs Go
When you're getting a player for Dubois are you really going to say that Mailloux is the breaking point on a deal. This is essentially saying he's untouchable when that is not the case as if it was Dubois for him 1 for 1 mtl slams accept. So there is a point to his value but to get the guy that helps mtl future now and into the future I feel like anyone not in the nhl should be atleast open to depending on the deal. This would not be admitting failure to work with him but doing best by him and the team by giving him to a team that he may have a chance to succeed. The fact that he has some what of value to the jets in a trade should be encouraging in terms of teams seeing what he has done to be better. Not saying that he's 100% in any deal as there is risks so it depends on how the deal works out but to say he can't be included would result in some other asset included say (kapenen). If Mailloux isn't cleared you lost kapenen for nothing as you could pass off the risk as the jets may value him. Thus keep the other asset it would take and get him off the team so they don't have to worry if he's cleared or not.

I think you may have misunderstood me.
Montreal has promised their fans that Mailloux will be a better human being and atone for his past actions. They can not oversee that process if he is moved to another organization.
Without that promise, he's like any other asset. With that promise, we are stuck with him.
He's not untradable because we WANT him to be, he's untradable because he HAS to be. Molson gave his word.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:55 p.m.
I think you may have misunderstood me.
Montreal has promised their fans that Mailloux will be a better human being and atone for his past actions. They can not oversee that process if he is moved to another organization.
Without that promise, he's like any other asset. With that promise, we are stuck with him.
He's not untradable because we WANT him to be, he's untradable because he HAS to be. Molson gave his word.

Okay so would 2023 Florida first kidney and mesar with Dvorak work? The jets would need another prospect/pick on top of the other 3 for it to truly beat the rental offer.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 5:05 p.m.
Well, I'm not Chevy, so it doesn't matter if I take the deal. wink

Seriously though, Chevy is pretty risk adverse, so I don't see him risking a huge trade piece and taking back a player that may never be eligible to play. He'd already be selling Dubois at a significant discount, I don't think he's going to do that AND take back a piece that may never play.

I know you *think* he'll be allowed to play, but Berman can be petty, especially to a player that isn't in the league yet. Take a look at Formenton in Ottawa. He's played in the league, screwed up and no one is rolling out the red carpet to let him back in.

Now if Chevy knows Mailloux is going to be eligible that could change things, but if he doesn't I would hope that Chevy doesn't take that gamble.

Formenton is part of the Hockey Canada scandal, of course they won't let him play. But anyway, i'm sure the league would have to veto any Mailloux trade.

I wouldn't mind swapping Mailloux for Beck if WPG or the NHL has any concern about his future in the NHL.
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
Would this deal work tho? I feel like it's pretty damn even and isn't exactly what either team would ideally want but they both meet in the middle and get assets they want.

I think it could work. Dubois wants to go to MTL, but i never believed the 'wait for Dubois to be a UFA' thing. MTL isn't trying to screw WPG. Of course, Dubois value is lowered if he says he wants MTL only. But i think WPG getting a 2023 top 16 pick, 2 decent B prospects playing position they need and a 3C is good overall.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Okay so would 2023 Florida first kidney and mesar with Dvorak work? The jets would need another prospect/pick on top of the other 3 for it to truly beat the rental offer.

I don't see us trying to "beat" other offers. Anything past the 1st, prospect (your choice), and Dvorak is beyond my personal tolerance.
I'd be okay with adding a Mysak, Kapanen, or any of our LHD behind Hutson.
Basically two "shiny" pieces and a mediocre one, + Dvorak who can be flipped for added value.

Like I said though, that's an endless debate of value that's been beaten to death. My focus was simply on the unlikelihood of Mailloux being moved and why.
Veselainen is just anyone to balance contract counts if that's a concern. any Inconsequential minor leaguer works, but easier to leave him out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll